hulika

Author Topic: True Acoustic Tone  (Read 1169410 times)

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: True Acoustic Tone
« Reply #1000 on: August 28, 2008, 11:27:37 AM »
here's my acoustic gear:

PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1001 on: August 28, 2008, 09:37:59 PM »

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1002 on: August 28, 2008, 09:39:21 PM »
yung Gibson ba doc? :-D

wala pa bagong nabibili... i want a slope shoulder dred and a small acoustic

Offline strummer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1003 on: August 28, 2008, 09:41:29 PM »
here are some photos of the recent upgrade i had made to my guitars:  Bone Nuts and Saddles!

the difference:  more sustain and better volume

one of my acoustics is a solid-body Gibson and the bone nut and saddle increased its projection considerably.  the response of the strings is better when i pluck/strum them and the sustain is incredible.

many thanks to GGBR for these upgrades.  he was the one who offered to replace the plastic saddle and nut of my acoustic to bone ones.  he has a machine (as seen in the pics) for modifying the nuts and the saddles.  :-)

tone is in the bone!!!!!! i think bone nut and saddles is a necessary upgrade for acoustics. nice nice.
strum away!

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1004 on: August 29, 2008, 11:31:44 AM »
nice pair :-)

thanks doc!  small acoustic = parlor size?  may na-try akong parlor acoustic na China-made.  laminate top and solid back yata.  ganda ng tunog, sustain and volume.  surprising for a parlor-sized guitar. :-)

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1005 on: August 29, 2008, 11:39:04 AM »
tone is in the bone!!!!!! i think bone nut and saddles is a necessary upgrade for acoustics. nice nice.

currently i'm having my Ovation upgraded to bone din.  pina-repair ko rin yung electronics kasi may problem daw sa volume pot.  gusto mo i-refer din kita for upgrades?

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1006 on: August 29, 2008, 11:56:31 AM »
thanks doc!  small acoustic = parlor size?  may na-try akong parlor acoustic na China-made.  laminate top and solid back yata.  ganda ng tunog, sustain and volume.  surprising for a parlor-sized guitar. :-)

san ka naka-try, dito ba sa Manila?  naghahanap ako nyan e.  kahit China.

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1007 on: August 29, 2008, 12:16:40 PM »
san ka naka-try, dito ba sa Manila?  naghahanap ako nyan e.  kahit China.

yung kay GGBR yung na-try ko.  he got it from JB (Makati, i think).  it is an unbranded parlor that is China-made.  i'm not sure if there are still units sold in JB of this type.  he upgraded it to bone nut and saddle and he installed an AER AK-15 on it.

i gigged it 3 times already.  :-)

Offline quietstorm

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #1008 on: August 29, 2008, 02:49:50 PM »
YAMAHA CPX-5 gamit ko tsaka BOSS RV-5...
SWABE... :-) :-) :wink: :wink:

Offline strummer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1009 on: August 29, 2008, 04:57:29 PM »
currently i'm having my Ovation upgraded to bone din.  pina-repair ko rin yung electronics kasi may problem daw sa volume pot.  gusto mo i-refer din kita for upgrades?

san shop? ayusin ko lang nut and saddle nung beloved fernando ko. heheh. sira na kasi nut eh...
strum away!

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1010 on: August 29, 2008, 05:35:53 PM »
san shop? ayusin ko lang nut and saddle nung beloved fernando ko. heheh. sira na kasi nut eh...

actually, i just give my guitar to GGBR.  we meet in Makati area.  he's the one doing the bone nut and saddle.  for a price of course.  :-)

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1011 on: August 29, 2008, 05:45:52 PM »
YAMAHA CPX-5 gamit ko tsaka BOSS RV-5...
SWABE... :-) :-) :wink: :wink:

i got to try a RV-5 in Yupancgo with a Line6 Variax Acoustic.  Swabe nga...kaya lang mahal. :-)

Offline strummer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1012 on: August 29, 2008, 08:06:37 PM »
actually, i just give my guitar to GGBR.  we meet in Makati area.  he's the one doing the bone nut and saddle.  for a price of course.  :-)

ah.. medyo malayo. heheh. mukhang sulit naman yung price... heheh. nice find!
strum away!

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1013 on: August 29, 2008, 08:16:34 PM »
ah.. medyo malayo. heheh. mukhang sulit naman yung price... heheh. nice find!

taga-san ka ba bro?  maybe i can help you.  :-)

sulit talaga yung price for the improvement in the tone of my guitars.  i'm currently enjoying it!  playing Eheads songs!  :-D

Offline quietstorm

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #1014 on: August 30, 2008, 03:34:22 PM »
i got to try a RV-5 in Yupancgo with a Line6 Variax Acoustic.  Swabe nga...kaya lang mahal. :-)
yep,medyo madugo nga ang presyo...  :-D

Offline dayuhan

• Netizen Level
« Reply #1015 on: September 02, 2008, 05:26:03 PM »
Well, I came down to the city, and right now I'm sitting in a friend's place in Makati.  A few hours ago I dropped by RJ in Ayala Center and ran the hands over that Guild 12 string that's apparently been in there forever.

It's a JF30-12, maple sides, arched maple back, spruce top, 3 piece neck, 2 truss rods.  Heavy, and definitely neck-heavy.  Neck is on the chunky side, but it's a 12, and the Guild 12-strings have a reputation for lasting forever.  This is one step back from top of the line, which in a jumbo maple 12 would be F412 or JF65-12 (basically the same thing in different years).

They say the guitar is "new old stock", but it's made in Westerly, RI, which puts it back before 2001, when Guild production moved to Corona, CA.  So it's more like "new REALLY old stock".

It doesn't sound that great.  A lot of that is the strings, I'd bet they've been on there 5 years at least and they are as dead as a Congressman's morals.  I didn't even try to tune it, too much work; wasn't that far out but enough to give a bit of "that ain't right".  Still, there's more sustain than a badly strung guitar deserves to have, and I get a little feeling that given a bit of love she might open up and sing right nicely.

Unfortunately, they want 89,000 freakin' pesos, which is just insane.  You can get an F412 in the US for under $1500, I doubt a JF30-12 would be too far over $1000.  Sure there's gonna be a price differential here, but that's ridiculous.

The salesman asked me what I thought, I told him "needs new strings".  He comes back with... "We'll put new strings on!  We'll even include... THE CASE!!".  I briefly considered smacking him, just to wake him up, or at least telling him that for that price they should be including a night with the cashier, but didn't.  Didn't buy it either.

Still, sayyang, hope she ends up with someone who will treat her right...
Lucky I'm sane after all I've been through
I can't complain, but sometimes I still do
Life's been good to me so far...

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1016 on: September 02, 2008, 08:52:06 PM »
@maxi

makati based si GGBR ?? san sya dun ?
I was alive in the forest
I was cut by the cruel axe
In life I was silent In death I sweetly sing

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1017 on: September 03, 2008, 06:28:20 AM »
@maxi

makati based si GGBR ?? san sya dun ?

honestly, hindi ko sure kung san talaga.  but we meet in makati area.  it may be better if you ask him. :-)

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1018 on: September 10, 2008, 10:53:50 AM »
currently, i'm having my Ovation Tangent repaired by GGBR's technician.  i gave GGBR my Ovation for a bone saddle replacement and pickup replacement.  so far, he has been giving me great feedback on the massive improvement in the Ovation's tone because of the saddle replacement.  i will continually post the developments in this thread for everyone. :-)

Offline strummer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1019 on: September 10, 2008, 03:27:46 PM »
i just gigged acoustic last week with my band. the bassist was not around so i had to bring an acoustic. problem is i didnt have a preamp for my passive piezo acoustic so i brought in the electric.

after the first set bitin talaga yung electric. i had to fill in the low end but i couldnt use the acoustic with the mixer because it didnt have a built in preamp. out of desperation i had this brilliant plan to use my compressor as a preamp so i plugged my acoustic into my effects board. the digitech chorus was on though and when i strummed my acoustic... whoa. it sounded like heaven!

i didnt bother to turn on the compressor and i went ahead to finish the set <and another one afterwards> with the acoustic plugged into the chorus pedal. lucky me i dont think ill be needing a preamp soon <although i still intend to buy me a hartke acoustic attack>.

the sound was so full as if my guitar was played through a preamp. good thing i didnt need to tweak it as it sounded balanced and good even without an eq. i wanted to play it through the phaser but somehow it doesnt work. it shreiks when i turn it on. maybe it's because it's before the chorus. i guess it will sound right if i put the chorus before the phaser..

here's the layout of my board

guitar>wah>phaser>chorus>direct box>house.

yeba.
strum away!

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1020 on: September 11, 2008, 09:20:06 AM »
ano ba nagagawa ng compressor sa tone bro?  sorry hindi kasi talaga ako familiar sa effects eh. :-D

Offline aldogucci

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #1021 on: September 11, 2008, 09:31:34 AM »
I have a 1965 Gibson LGO. Solid mahogany top and laminate mahogany sides and back.  All original parts, even the plastic bridge. I ordered an ebony bridge from the US. I may replace the nut and saddle too siice that will probably improve the sound.  Also, the guitar has a lot of "checking" which it makes it look pretty cool.

Anyone have any idea how much I could sell this guitar for in Manila?

Offline dayuhan

• Netizen Level
« Reply #1022 on: September 11, 2008, 10:40:29 AM »
Just as a place to start, a quick look at Gbase and eBay tells us that in the US, a mid 60s LGO in good condition runs anywhere from $500-$700.

Of course there's a premium in Manila, but how much of one is open to interpretation.  People ask pretty extreme prices for name brand US acoustics (not too many are available) so I guess people do pay those prices.

A lot depends on the condition, and that means more than just finish issues.  Most important is the condition of the neck; if it looks like a reset is needed or coming up soon (a real possibility in an acoustic of that vintage), that's going to hit the sale value pretty hard.  How is the action, esp in the higher frets?  Has the saddle been shaved way down?  Is there a noticeable bulge in the top?

Normal play wear is expected, and any serious buyer/player is not going to worry too much about some dings or finish wear in a guitar that age.  Just speaking for myself, though... if the neck isn't straight, if there are loose braces or serious bulging in the top, or serious cracks... that would have a major impact on what I'd pay.

Personally... if it looked solid and I liked the sound and playability, I could imagine being interested at Php 30-35k.  Much higher than that, probably not, unless I really loved the sound and feel.  You could list it here at 50, see if anyone bites, and then work down from there...

Got pictures?

I have a 1965 Gibson LGO. Solid mahogany top and laminate mahogany sides and back.  All original parts, even the plastic bridge. I ordered an ebony bridge from the US. I may replace the nut and saddle too siice that will probably improve the sound.  Also, the guitar has a lot of "checking" which it makes it look pretty cool.

Anyone have any idea how much I could sell this guitar for in Manila?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 10:44:46 AM by dayuhan »
Lucky I'm sane after all I've been through
I can't complain, but sometimes I still do
Life's been good to me so far...

Offline aldogucci

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #1023 on: September 11, 2008, 11:08:12 AM »
That's good feedback - thanks.  The guitar needs to be set up, but I don't think the neck needs to be reset - it looks straight with no twisting.  However, I plan to have it thoroughly checked out and setup, plus have the new bridge installed. Action looks a little high in the higher frets.  No bulging on the top and no loose braces (BTW, this is an old LGO with ladder bracing). A little fret buzz which the setup should take care of.  The usual scratches and dents for a 43 year old guitar, but no cracks on the body.  I'm the 3rd owner of this guitar and the 2nd owner had a neck crack professionally repaired in the USA in 1983 - this has not affected the guitar's tone. BTW, this is not a dreadnaught, so its not as loud, but has a nice tone. Good for fingerpicking and blues. I bought it because I wanted a cool looking vintage travel guitar.  But I have too many guitars, so I don't mind parting with it for the right price.

I'll try to post pictures later.  If you're interested, I can show you the guitar in a few weeks once the work has been done. Comes with non-original chipboard case.  Email me at aldogucci@gmail.com

Just as a place to start, a quick look at Gbase and eBay tells us that in the US, a mid 60s LGO in good condition runs anywhere from $500-$700.

Of course there's a premium in Manila, but how much of one is open to interpretation.  People ask pretty extreme prices for name brand US acoustics (not too many are available) so I guess people do pay those prices.

A lot depends on the condition, and that means more than just finish issues.  Most important is the condition of the neck; if it looks like a reset is needed or coming up soon (a real possibility in an acoustic of that vintage), that's going to hit the sale value pretty hard.  How is the action, esp in the higher frets?  Has the saddle been shaved way down?  Is there a noticeable bulge in the top?

Normal play wear is expected, and any serious buyer/player is not going to worry too much about some dings or finish wear in a guitar that age.  Just speaking for myself, though... if the neck isn't straight, if there are loose braces or serious bulging in the top, or serious cracks... that would have a major impact on what I'd pay.

Personally... if it looked solid and I liked the sound and playability, I could imagine being interested at Php 30-35k.  Much higher than that, probably not, unless I really loved the sound and feel.  You could list it here at 50, see if anyone bites, and then work down from there...

Got pictures?

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1024 on: September 11, 2008, 11:51:30 AM »
i'm not sure with the 50k price...maybe someone with a vintage guitar taste will buy that at that price.  i know someone who sells a Larrivee OM03 with Bearclaw Spruce top for 50K - all-solid wood construction.