hulika

Author Topic: True Acoustic Tone  (Read 1164834 times)

Offline dayuhan

• Netizen Level
Re: True Acoustic Tone
« Reply #1025 on: September 11, 2008, 01:33:27 PM »
BTW, this is not a dreadnaught, so its not as loud, but has a nice tone. Good for fingerpicking and blues. I bought it because I wanted a cool looking vintage travel guitar.  But I have too many guitars, so I don't mind parting with it for the right price.

I'll try to post pictures later.  If you're interested, I can show you the guitar in a few weeks once the work has been done. Comes with non-original chipboard case.  Email me at aldogucci@gmail.com

I wouldn't expect it to sound like what I'm used to... my acoustic is a Guild Jumbo (F50R) strung with mediums.  Even a lot of dreadnaughts sound anemic by comparison; hard strumming is known to register on the Richter scale.  Still, I'm kind of half in the market for a smaller bodied guitar that I could keep in open G or DADGAD to have another option around the house, and use for traveling and at campfire jams where people you don't know want to try your guitar (the Guild is pristine and I'm possessive).

Not in any rush, let me know when she's ready for a look... I live in Sagada and don't get to Manila often, but things sometimes work out.

Maxi, I'm not saying I'd pay 50, I wouldn't.  Some people are really into old stuff, though, and the Gibson brand has some clout.  I don't figure it would hurt him to run that number up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes; if nobody does, he can always drop the price down. 

50 is not a half bad deal for an OM-03 in good condition, is that guitar for sale now?

Of course what I really want is a 12-string... GAS is a terrible thing!

Lucky I'm sane after all I've been through
I can't complain, but sometimes I still do
Life's been good to me so far...

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1026 on: September 11, 2008, 02:24:04 PM »
Maxi, I'm not saying I'd pay 50, I wouldn't.  Some people are really into old stuff, though, and the Gibson brand has some clout.  I don't figure it would hurt him to run that number up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes; if nobody does, he can always drop the price down. 

50 is not a half bad deal for an OM-03 in good condition, is that guitar for sale now?

i'm not sure if the OM-03 is still for sale.  this was offered to me almost a year ago and i'm not sure if he already sold his guitar.  i will ask around and get back to you.  btw, if you the check Larrivee's website, you may notice that he already hiked the prices up a bit. :-)
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline aldogucci

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #1027 on: September 11, 2008, 02:25:38 PM »
Wow - that's very high for a Larrivee OM-03.  The Blue Book price on that guitar is $400-$700, depending on condition.  What's the guitar like?

i'm not sure with the 50k price...maybe someone with a vintage guitar taste will buy that at that price.  i know someone who sells a Larrivee OM03 with Bearclaw Spruce top for 50K - all-solid wood construction.

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1028 on: September 11, 2008, 02:32:11 PM »
Wow - that's very high for a Larrivee OM-03.  The Blue Book price on that guitar is $400-$700, depending on condition.  What's the guitar like?

actually, i haven't seen the guitar.  i think the increment in the price is due to the Bearclaw Spruce top characteristic.  a normal OM-03 comes with Canadian Spruce.  according to a friend of the seller, the guitar is in great condition but i can't really attest to that since i haven't seen nor played it.

paging Doc Dave. :-D

Offline dayuhan

• Netizen Level
« Reply #1029 on: September 11, 2008, 06:05:55 PM »
Another acoustic treat:

She can play...
Lucky I'm sane after all I've been through
I can't complain, but sometimes I still do
Life's been good to me so far...

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1030 on: September 11, 2008, 06:14:04 PM »
Another acoustic treat:

She can play...

and sing at the same time!  great blues licks. :-)

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1031 on: September 11, 2008, 06:47:45 PM »
Laki naman ng gitara ni Bonnie.  I wish I had a parlor.  Tamang tama ang size at weight habang nagrerecover sa hospital bed or wheelchair.  :-D
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 06:49:45 PM by deltaslim »

Offline simon_divitico

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1032 on: September 11, 2008, 10:06:59 PM »
Wuy mga sir may tanong ako. May nakita ako nag-aacoustic may takip na parang cartolina yung sound hole nung guitar, para san yun?  :?
FS EPIPHONE LESPAUL STANDARD MIK P15K http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=297667.0

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1033 on: September 11, 2008, 10:36:51 PM »
Wuy mga sir may tanong ako. May nakita ako nag-aacoustic may takip na parang cartolina yung sound hole nung guitar, para san yun?  :?

it's called feedback buster. 

actually, i can't give a very accurate explanation as to how this eliminates feedback, but it does.  since an acoustic is hollow body, a feedback buster makes it like a solid body.  i'm sure someone here can provide a good explanation on feedback.  :-)

Offline aldogucci

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #1034 on: September 11, 2008, 10:54:51 PM »
I like Guilds myself. In fact, my favorite of my acoustics is my Guild GAD50. Made in China, but wonderful tone. In addition to my 1965 Gibson LGO, my other acoustics which I play regularly are 1984 Gibson J-25 and 1981 Gibson Heritage.  I also have a hand-built dreadnaught made by a luthier named Stroup from Colorado.

I wouldn't expect it to sound like what I'm used to... my acoustic is a Guild Jumbo (F50R) strung with mediums.  Even a lot of dreadnaughts sound anemic by comparison; hard strumming is known to register on the Richter scale.  Still, I'm kind of half in the market for a smaller bodied guitar that I could keep in open G or DADGAD to have another option around the house, and use for traveling and at campfire jams where people you don't know want to try your guitar (the Guild is pristine and I'm possessive).

Not in any rush, let me know when she's ready for a look... I live in Sagada and don't get to Manila often, but things sometimes work out.

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1035 on: September 11, 2008, 11:17:58 PM »
Laki naman ng gitara ni Bonnie.  I wish I had a parlor.  Tamang tama ang size at weight habang nagrerecover sa hospital bed or wheelchair.  :-D

hehe... pagaling ka joric..
I was alive in the forest
I was cut by the cruel axe
In life I was silent In death I sweetly sing

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1036 on: September 11, 2008, 11:21:38 PM »

if in my (not-so-frequent-anymore) visits to music stores i happen to encounter a parlour-sized guitar, i will let you know right away.  of course i'll first ensure that it is of good quality, workmanship and tone.  my prayers still include you Joric. :-)

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1037 on: September 11, 2008, 11:36:16 PM »
@af_villaruel

why are you selling the Egima?  :-o

http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,108220.0.html

you just installed the K&K Mini diba?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 11:37:21 PM by maxi_musikero »

Offline af_villaruel

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1038 on: September 11, 2008, 11:51:14 PM »
i have betrayed the brotherhood. i want an electric! LOL  :-D acoustic bands seem to be phasing out these days. i've never really been in a full-band setup professionally. i think it's high time. for higher pay, too. LOL

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1039 on: September 12, 2008, 12:04:43 AM »
i have betrayed the brotherhood. i want an electric! LOL  :-D acoustic bands seem to be phasing out these days. i've never really been in a full-band setup professionally. i think it's high time. for higher pay, too. LOL

good luck on your new-found quest my brother.  you will always be a member of our brotherhood.  :lol:

seriously though bro, why don't you keep your acoustic with your full-band setup?  although talagang mas versatile ang electric in terms of tone, warmth ang binibigay ng acoustic na hindi ma-achieve ng electric.  well, it actually depends on the genre you will be playing. :-)

Offline af_villaruel

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1040 on: September 12, 2008, 12:10:11 AM »
i only have the resources for one guitar. i do, however, have an epi chet atkins lying around the house that belongs to my friend. di ko pa natitignan kung my sira or whatever. :) i'm planning to restore it so that i could use it for acoustic gigs. :) minor issues lang, i think the pots are bad. dunno abt the piezo pup.

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1041 on: September 12, 2008, 12:35:14 AM »
i only have the resources for one guitar. i do, however, have an epi chet atkins lying around the house that belongs to my friend. di ko pa natitignan kung my sira or whatever. :) i'm planning to restore it so that i could use it for acoustic gigs. :) minor issues lang, i think the pots are bad. dunno abt the piezo pup.

i have a Gibson Chet Atkins.  i had it restored and upgraded c/o GGBR.  i posted some pics in the previous pages and a testament to the tonal improvement a bone saddle and nut gives to an acoustic.  i had its pickup replaced and the saddle and nut upgraded to bone.  yung tone pots na lang ang kulang ko.  nag-order na ako kay BossingBoss at pag dumating, marerestore na ng buo yung Chet. 

if you want yours repaired, just let me know. :-)

Offline af_villaruel

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1042 on: September 18, 2008, 12:41:15 AM »
i actually am interested. i don't know how much that'll cost me. pm me an estimate.

anyway, the chet sst i have is kinda old, and because of that, naging crunchy na yung plastic saddle. and i broke it. hahaha. well, that's kinda easy, right? here's the catch, while trying to look at the old piezo, i broke the damn thing too because it was also "crunchy" because it was old. anyway, the old thing was crappy and i really am intending to upgrade the old piezo and at the same time maybe change the nut and saddle to bone. what pickup did you use with your upgrade? i don't want it to cost that much, but i don't want to sacrifice tone too.

oh, and by the way, is there a need to replace the bridge? because i think the saddle slot on the chet sst is kinda thin.

also, what pots did you order? there's to on the epi chet, i guess for volume and tone. is it the same for the gibson?

enlighten me, please!  :-D :-D

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1043 on: September 18, 2008, 01:04:27 AM »
actually, i haven't seen the guitar.  i think the increment in the price is due to the Bearclaw Spruce top characteristic.  a normal OM-03 comes with Canadian Spruce.  according to a friend of the seller, the guitar is in great condition but i can't really attest to that since i haven't seen nor played it.

paging Doc Dave. :-D

Glen sold that guitar already several months ago... yup its more expensive because of the bear claw top... :-)

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1044 on: September 18, 2008, 01:05:37 AM »
I have a 1965 Gibson LGO. Solid mahogany top and laminate mahogany sides and back.  All original parts, even the plastic bridge. I ordered an ebony bridge from the US. I may replace the nut and saddle too siice that will probably improve the sound.  Also, the guitar has a lot of "checking" which it makes it look pretty cool.

Anyone have any idea how much I could sell this guitar for in Manila?

that the one from charles??? 25k more or less :-)

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1045 on: September 18, 2008, 10:46:32 AM »
i actually am interested. i don't know how much that'll cost me. pm me an estimate.

the saddle and nut replacement was done along with the electronics repair kaya i can't give you an estimate as to how much the bone and saddle replacement costs separately.  but i can assure you it's reasonable.

anyway, the chet sst i have is kinda old, and because of that, naging crunchy na yung plastic saddle. and i broke it. hahaha. well, that's kinda easy, right? here's the catch, while trying to look at the old piezo, i broke the damn thing too because it was also "crunchy" because it was old. anyway, the old thing was crappy and i really am intending to upgrade the old piezo and at the same time maybe change the nut and saddle to bone. what pickup did you use with your upgrade? i don't want it to cost that much, but i don't want to sacrifice tone too.

oh, and by the way, is there a need to replace the bridge? because i think the saddle slot on the chet sst is kinda thin.

i got a Korean brand pickup.  i think i still have some extra piezos at home (yeah..they're that damn cheap!  :-D).  i ordered semi-bulk, meaning i ordered more than one of each item i ordered.  i think they are actually the manufacturer for American brands like Fishman and LR Baggs, but i'm not sure (and maybe they won't admit it either), but their stuff are very similar to their American counterparts.  American marketing adds too much to the price.  given this, there will be no problem quality-wise.  :-)

the thing with these piezos, they have to (as much as possible) fit the dimensions of the saddle slot.  what i did, i gave the whole package to GGBR and let him and his technician weave their magic. 

i don't think you need a bridge replacement.  the saddle slot is really thin, but i don't think that will be a problem because a piezo can be thinner and the bone material can be fashioned to fit the slot.

also, what pots did you order? there's to on the epi chet, i guess for volume and tone. is it the same for the gibson?

enlighten me, please!  :-D :-D

i ordered pots from Richard (BossingBoss) in one of the websites.  the Gibson has 3 pots (volume, treble, bass).  you have to know the resistance value for the pots your Epi uses.  mine is 50k and they are mini pots.

this is the thing bro:  right now i'm gigging with the Gibson Chet with only VOLUME working on my preamp.  bass and treble aren't working yet because i'm still waiting for the minipots to arrive.  the tone is AWESOME.  more punchy than before it was repaired and more volume and sustain because of the bone material.  i can play it with FLAT EQ on the mixer!

hope this helped.  :-)

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1046 on: September 18, 2008, 06:07:17 PM »
i didnt bother to turn on the compressor and i went ahead to finish the set <and another one afterwards> with the acoustic plugged into the chorus pedal. lucky me i dont think ill be needing a preamp soon <although i still intend to buy me a hartke acoustic attack>.

bro, i sent you PM regarding this.  :-)

Offline af_villaruel

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1047 on: September 18, 2008, 07:31:01 PM »
maxi:

ic. well, i live near arie, so i guess the bone nut and saddle won't be so much a problem. siguro yung cost lang. i never really asked him how much that would cost.

so, you used your korean piezo for the gibson? how much is it? could i buy one from you? hehehe. :D anyways, since i don't see GGBR posting these days, could you also PM me perhaps his number and/or how much it cost you for him to do the operation on your gibson?

as for the pots, i believe mine uses mini-pots too, although i have to confirm as to the resistance value. probably it's 50k too. mine has two pots. volume and tone lang. i don't know if they're still good. maybe i'll have the piezo operation done 1st and then substitute pots should the old ones be problematic.

Offline nathanfadera

• Netizen Level
« Reply #1048 on: September 18, 2008, 07:42:43 PM »
I'm not really an acoustic player....  Actually frustration ko yun...  Hehe.  And I don't own one..  Well I have a nylon na Yamaha CX-40 lang.

May na try ako acoustic ng friend ko.  I don't know which model.  Martin siya.  Isa sa mga pinaka mura.  All black siya and walang tatak ng Martin sa Head.  Sa loob lang ng guitar.  He bought it like for only... $700 ata.  Pero gusto ko yung tunog niya.  Ang ganda.  I don't know how to describe it since I'm not really an acoustic player.  Hehe.

I'm hoping to get an affordable acoustic guitar.  I'm planning to buy an Ibanez since that it's not SUPER expensive and it's affordable.   :-D

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1049 on: September 18, 2008, 09:59:43 PM »
maxi:

ic. well, i live near arie, so i guess the bone nut and saddle won't be so much a problem. siguro yung cost lang. i never really asked him how much that would cost.

so, you used your korean piezo for the gibson? how much is it? could i buy one from you? hehehe. :D anyways, since i don't see GGBR posting these days, could you also PM me perhaps his number and/or how much it cost you for him to do the operation on your gibson?

as for the pots, i believe mine uses mini-pots too, although i have to confirm as to the resistance value. probably it's 50k too. mine has two pots. volume and tone lang. i don't know if they're still good. maybe i'll have the piezo operation done 1st and then substitute pots should the old ones be problematic.

i'll send you a PM bro for the prices. :-)

the thing with USTs is that since they pick up the vibration of the strings from under the saddle, it is very difficult (and i mean difficult) to achieve balanced string volume once you are plugged.  some strings sound louder/softer than the others.  this is due to the contact the saddle has with the UST.  it makes a lot of difference.

in the case of your Epi Chet, i think the UST comes with the saddle.  this is the case with my Gibson Chet.  when GGBR had the saddle replaced to bone and the UST installed, the string volume wasn't immediately balanced.  in order to balance string volume, he had to shave off some portions of the bone material, put it back, and then try again.  it is a tedious trial-and-error process because even the slightest over/under shaving will yield big results in terms of string volume.  it will take a while for it to be "close to perfect" for his standards.  knowing the man, those standards are pretty high.   :-D

as for the minipots, i ordered from Richard and he gave it to me like 250 per minipot.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 10:00:55 PM by maxi_musikero »