hulika

Author Topic: True Acoustic Tone  (Read 1169495 times)

Offline GGBR

Re: True Acoustic Tone
« Reply #350 on: September 04, 2007, 10:07:58 PM »
3 yrs ago i was able to get a martin 00016rgte (may top crack) for 37k and a martin 00015 mint cond for 30k... marami pang ibang examples, like a gibson j100 extra brand new from rj for only 35k, and a used gibson blues king for 35k.... at present medyo mas mahal na pasahan.... but w/ 40k, i think you can get an all solid guitar na... yun seagull na minention mo uses cherry as back and sides... not really typical... ive also tried a higher end seagull (artist series ata), i wast impressed... matigas tumunog :-)

MAXI, DO LISTEN HERE ABOVE. I CANNOT MAKE ANY COMMENTS REGARDING THE SEAGULL (- IS I BELIEVE AN OFFSHOOT OF EITHER GODIN OR WAS IT LARIVEE, ALL CANADIAN ORIGINS; LARIVEE IS VERY AFFORDABLE AND GOOD VALUE!!) AS IT IS DISTRIBUTED BY PEOPLE KNOWN TO ME. THE OTHER JAP BRAND IS BETTER BUT.... I WILL SEND YOU A PRIVATE MESSAGE NOW!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 10:14:42 PM by GGBR »

Offline GGBR

« Reply #351 on: September 04, 2007, 10:23:40 PM »
Also Maxi, do check and evaluate thoroughly pre-installed onboard preamps which are usually of China origins. The only Asian-made preamp which I have learned to consider due to its being the OEM of some US known brands is ARTEC. THey are VERY well rated. Check Harmony-Central. Otherwise, I will recommend only at the moment the AER AK-15 UST (under the saddle) + condener mic package available at JB. VERY VERY reasonable for it's NAME and tonal quality. For pickups, it would be best to have external preamps. Consider the following brands which are tops in the acoustic fields - K & K (Western mini), Highlander (IP series), LG Baggs I-beam, B-band from Finland, or Pickup The World. These are used by the pros.

Have good sound of an evening!

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #352 on: September 04, 2007, 10:39:32 PM »
@farseer

thanks for the advice...i think i'm gonna stay away from them seagulls.   :lol:  kaya ko sila na-consider kc since it's with godin naman, i thought they would sound ok.  but, as Sir GGBR said, i should listen to ur advice.  thanks!   8-)

@Lahed92801

i hope u continue ur classical guitar bro!  i started classical guitar when i was 12yrs old.  cguro back then at that age i really can't appreciate the music that i'm producing!  hehehe!  but godspeed to you bro!   8-)

@GGBR

thanks for the advice on the guitars as well as the pickups.  but i somewhat didn't get the meaning of the pickup acronyms u mentioned.  i wasn't able to read ur private message since i'm still in the office..yahoo mail is blocked here!  hehehe!  but i will try to read it as soon as i am able!  again, thanks very much!   8-)
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline strummer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #353 on: September 04, 2007, 10:47:45 PM »
suggest naman kayo maganda external acoustic preamp na available dito sa pinas. am looking into adi-21, hartke acoustic attack, or the bbe acoustimax kasi..
strum away!

Offline GGBR

« Reply #354 on: September 05, 2007, 07:58:29 AM »
@GGBR

thanks for the advice on the guitars as well as the pickups.  but i somewhat didn't get the meaning of the pickup acronyms u mentioned.  i wasn't able to read ur private message since i'm still in the office..yahoo mail is blocked here!  hehehe!  but i will try to read it as soon as i am able!  again, thanks very much!   8-)

Those were not acronyms. They are the actual names/brands of pickups.

"Surf and you will find."

Remember this! The names which do not sound familiar ARE...THE NAMES to recon with.

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #355 on: September 05, 2007, 08:56:27 AM »
Those were not acronyms. They are the actual names/brands of pickups.

"Surf and you will find."

Remember this! The names which do not sound familiar ARE...THE NAMES to recon with.

those were not acronyms?  hehehe!  makes me realize how unfamiliar i am with acoustic gear.  :|

thanks for the great advice sir!  8-)

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #356 on: September 05, 2007, 08:59:51 AM »
Also Maxi, do check and evaluate thoroughly pre-installed onboard preamps which are usually of China origins. The only Asian-made preamp which I have learned to consider due to its being the OEM of some US known brands is ARTEC. THey are VERY well rated. Check Harmony-Central. Otherwise, I will recommend only at the moment the AER AK-15 UST (under the saddle) + condener mic package available at JB. VERY VERY reasonable for it's NAME and tonal quality. For pickups, it would be best to have external preamps. Consider the following brands which are tops in the acoustic fields - K & K (Western mini), Highlander (IP series), LG Baggs I-beam, B-band from Finland, or Pickup The World. These are used by the pros.

Have good sound of an evening!

i have some questions on this sir.  :?

so if i try out these preamps, does that mean i have to buy an acoustic that has no preamp/pickup to begin with?  as in pure acoustic lang?  so that these preamps will be installed subsequently nalang?   :?

Offline Kulas

« Reply #357 on: September 05, 2007, 09:41:50 AM »

i have some questions on this sir.  :?

so if i try out these preamps, does that mean i have to buy an acoustic that has no preamp/pickup to begin with?  as in pure acoustic lang?  so that these preamps will be installed subsequently nalang?   :?

ey bro, for me that's the better way to go, hehe. buy a good sounding acoustic guitar (without a pickup) then saka mo bilhan ng mga pickups and preamps. that way, kung acoustic lang hanap mo to begin with, you'll buy the better sounding ones (acoustically) so then pag nilagyan mo na ng pickup, most likely maganda pa rin tunog ng acoustic mo amplified.

ako baggs boy ako, sobrang recommended ko yun. yung AER ni GGBR maganda rin. i have my reservations sa fishman naman, hehe. get an outboard preamp, para hindi mo na butasan yung acoustic.

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #358 on: September 05, 2007, 09:47:36 AM »
nagbalik na si kulas :-D

+1 sa sinabi mo bro

Offline schnitzerz4

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #359 on: September 05, 2007, 09:49:47 AM »
yup AER the best kahit ako nagulat =)

thanks nga pala kay sir GGBR sa tips =)

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #360 on: September 05, 2007, 09:53:38 AM »
ey bro, for me that's the better way to go, hehe. buy a good sounding acoustic guitar (without a pickup) then saka mo bilhan ng mga pickups and preamps. that way, kung acoustic lang hanap mo to begin with, you'll buy the better sounding ones (acoustically) so then pag nilagyan mo na ng pickup, most likely maganda pa rin tunog ng acoustic mo amplified.

ako baggs boy ako, sobrang recommended ko yun. yung AER ni GGBR maganda rin. i have my reservations sa fishman naman, hehe. get an outboard preamp, para hindi mo na butasan yung acoustic.

thanks Sir Kulas!  i was waiting for your reply sa mga posts ko.   :lol:

that was what i was thinking sir...para ndi masyadong mahal, i would buy an acoustic guitar without a preamp tpos kabitan nalang.  how do outboard preamps work sir?  and do u need a separate pickup for these outboard preamps?   :?

thanks very much!  8-)

Offline Kulas

« Reply #361 on: September 05, 2007, 10:03:16 AM »

thanks Sir Kulas!  i was waiting for your reply sa mga posts ko.   :lol:

that was what i was thinking sir...para ndi masyadong mahal, i would buy an acoustic guitar without a preamp tpos kabitan nalang.  how do outboard preamps work sir?  and do u need a separate pickup for these outboard preamps?   :?

thanks very much!  8-)

well, first of all, you need a pickup. yun talaga yung kailangan mo muna install sa acoustic mo. get a passive pickup/transducer then pakabit mo sa acoustic mo. then next is for you to buy an outboard preamp, outboard meaning it isn't installed directly into your acoustic. yung outboard preamp na yung pinaka-tone shaping/boost/sometimes DI box mo. it shapes the sound of the pickup you installed. in my case, i have a baggs para acoustic DI/preamp bale it boosts the signal of my ribbon transducer, then adds EQ controls, notch filter and presence.

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #362 on: September 05, 2007, 10:14:53 AM »
well, first of all, you need a pickup. yun talaga yung kailangan mo muna install sa acoustic mo. get a passive pickup/transducer then pakabit mo sa acoustic mo. then next is for you to buy an outboard preamp, outboard meaning it isn't installed directly into your acoustic. yung outboard preamp na yung pinaka-tone shaping/boost/sometimes DI box mo. it shapes the sound of the pickup you installed. in my case, i have a baggs para acoustic DI/preamp bale it boosts the signal of my ribbon transducer, then adds EQ controls, notch filter and presence.

pag nag-install ng pickup sir, dba bubutasan parin ung gitara for the input?  yun kasi ung slight fear ko...hindi pa ko nakakapag-customize ng gitara.  ung likod nga ng ovation ko ndi ko pa mabuksan kahit screw lng yun..hehehe!   :lol:

sori kung mejo slow sa uptake...this is very new stuff for me.  thanks!   8-)

Offline GGBR

« Reply #363 on: September 05, 2007, 10:18:25 AM »
Max,

Kulas is the acoustic master....his words are the 'law'....
:-)

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #364 on: September 05, 2007, 10:23:18 AM »
Max,

tumpak :-)

Offline Kulas

« Reply #365 on: September 05, 2007, 10:25:46 AM »

pag nag-install ng pickup sir, dba bubutasan parin ung gitara for the input?  yun kasi ung slight fear ko...hindi pa ko nakakapag-customize ng gitara.  ung likod nga ng ovation ko ndi ko pa mabuksan kahit screw lng yun..hehehe!   :lol:

sori kung mejo slow sa uptake...this is very new stuff for me.  thanks!   8-)

yeah, bubutasan sha. both under the saddle and on the endpin. but those are very discreet compared to making a hole on the top side of your guitar to fit a small box in. usually the output jacks are fitted sa endpin eh. and hindi naman ikaw yung gagawa nun yourself. of course sa lutihier na.

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #366 on: September 05, 2007, 10:28:26 AM »
Max,

kaya nga i was waiting for his replies sa mga previous posts ko eh!   :lol:

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #367 on: September 05, 2007, 11:04:12 AM »
yeah, bubutasan sha. both under the saddle and on the endpin. but those are very discreet compared to making a hole on the top side of your guitar to fit a small box in. usually the output jacks are fitted sa endpin eh. and hindi naman ikaw yung gagawa nun yourself. of course sa lutihier na.

thanks for the advice sir!  ano pong mga magagandang pickup brands here in the philippines?  and meron po bang pickup na hindi nakakabit sa soundhole?  i want the front of my guitar to be immaculate kasi as much as possible.   8-)

thanks very much!   :-)

Offline Kulas

« Reply #368 on: September 05, 2007, 12:45:26 PM »
thanks for the advice sir!  ano pong mga magagandang pickup brands here in the philippines?  and meron po bang pickup na hindi nakakabit sa soundhole?  i want the front of my guitar to be immaculate kasi as much as possible.   8-)

thanks very much!   :-)

yup the under-saddle pickups i was talking about are very discreet, hehe. nilalagay sha sa ilalim ng saddle. so pag hindi sha plugged, you wouldn't think that it had a pickup.

yun lang, the sad thing here in the philippines, hindi readily available yung mga magagandang acoustic pickups. the only ones being sold here are AER and seymour duncan. i don't know kung may distributor ng fishman or martin or l.r. baggs dito. dati meron pero nagsara na.

teka maxi, ano ba guitar mo?

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #369 on: September 05, 2007, 12:54:30 PM »
yup the under-saddle pickups i was talking about are very discreet, hehe. nilalagay sha sa ilalim ng saddle. so pag hindi sha plugged, you wouldn't think that it had a pickup.

yun lang, the sad thing here in the philippines, hindi readily available yung mga magagandang acoustic pickups. the only ones being sold here are AER and seymour duncan. i don't know kung may distributor ng fishman or martin or l.r. baggs dito. dati meron pero nagsara na.

teka maxi, ano ba guitar mo?

ovation tangent, multi-sound hole with OP30 pickup.

but i'm planning to buy an all-wood pag nakaipon...im thinking mga 2-3 months at the least.  i received so many useful comments and suggestions in this thread, particularly kina Sir GGBR and Sir Farseer.   :-D

Offline Kulas

« Reply #370 on: September 05, 2007, 12:57:59 PM »

ovation tangent, multi-sound hole with OP30 pickup.

but i'm planning to buy an all-wood pag nakaipon...im thinking mga 2-3 months at the least.  i received so many useful comments and suggestions in this thread, particularly kina Sir GGBR and Sir Farseer.   :-D

how much is your budget? hehehe.

bilhin mo na lang isa sa mga guild ni farseer, hehehe. sulit yun, diba doc? or get one old japanese made acoustic guitars from pier, then restore mo. so far i've liked the tones of the old acoustics from japan, kahit hindi sha solid wood, for some reason maganda tunog nila, hehe.

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #371 on: September 05, 2007, 01:05:20 PM »
how much is your budget? hehehe.

bilhin mo na lang isa sa mga guild ni farseer, hehehe. sulit yun, diba doc? or get one old japanese made acoustic guitars from pier, then restore mo. so far i've liked the tones of the old acoustics from japan, kahit hindi sha solid wood, for some reason maganda tunog nila, hehe.

P40k po target budget.  TARGET palang Sir Kulas!  hehehe!  kaya at least 2-3months before ako makaipon ng ganong cash.  iniisip ko ung installment basis kaya ko na-mention sa previous threads ko ung Seagull S6 sa PP.  kc dba pag sale dun pwedeng 0% installment payment?  para hindi isang buhusan..hehe!  but sbi ni Sir Farseer pag may ganung budget daw ako, stay away from seagulls.  mejo matigas daw ung tunog ng mga hi-end seagulls.  he recommended na bumili ako ng used martins, taylors and other used hi-ends.

what you think Sir Kulas?   8-)

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #372 on: September 05, 2007, 01:17:34 PM »
Max,

But you are still our tonewood master, GGBR! Kidding :)

maxi_musikero, mahirap maghanap ng saktong guitar especially with a tight budget, pero just test and test so that you'll be able to find that diamond in the rough. The Fernando acoustic guitar that GGBR brought before sounded really good; even the harmonics were spot-on :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #373 on: September 05, 2007, 01:34:56 PM »
But you are still our tonewood master, GGBR! Kidding :)

maxi_musikero, mahirap maghanap ng saktong guitar especially with a tight budget, pero just test and test so that you'll be able to find that diamond in the rough. The Fernando acoustic guitar that GGBR brought before sounded really good; even the harmonics were spot-on :)

tlga Sir Poundcake?  i tried some fernandos before with so many defects...like ang higpit ng tuning keys, fret buzzing, the like.  but hindi ko pa na-try ung new models ngayon sa jb.  i've tried valencia guitars and they sound good, kaya lng nylon. 

is my budget still tight sir?  if i'm going to try to increase my target budget, it will take a little longer for me to get a new guitar.  hehehe!  :lol:

thanks sir!  8-)

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #374 on: September 05, 2007, 01:52:55 PM »
May nagbebenta dito ng used Taylor 310-CE a few months back ah... P55k negotiable ata ang price nya. Test mo yun! :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20