hulika

Author Topic: True Acoustic Tone  (Read 1164828 times)

Offline gijira

Re: True Acoustic Tone
« Reply #500 on: October 06, 2007, 12:06:04 AM »
cedar + mahogany = warm and punchy tone.  did i get it right?  :-D

if u wanted more brightness, why not try a spruce top?  :-)

all my knowledge about guitar woods came from this thread..hehehe!  :lol:

we play the same style actually..fingerpicking and picking hybrids.  i have andy mckee's mp3s and vids.  onehelluva guitarist..VERY percussive.  :-D

boss, i think selection of wood could determine the sound of the guitar.. to some extent. marami kasing variables eg. thickness of wood, bracing, finish, even yung glue.

isa sa malaki ang  contribution sa sound is the bracing, kaya yun nga ang pinag ukulan namin ng maraming experimenting ng luthier natin. i think isa ho iyon sa gusto ko sa luthier na you can discuss with yung specs mo pagka meron ka something in mind talaga. of course its not for everybody, just like the smallman classical guitar is not for everybody. he experimented kasi sobra sa bracing, very radical in his time. he veered away from the tried and tested torres fan bracing which only slightly modified by fleta, hauser and romanillos yata. but in the end na attain nya ang unamplified volume na di pa naachieve before. medyo ayaw ng iba at wala ang percussive sound ng fleta, but then again who could say that to john williams ng palitan nya dati nyang fleta with smallman, but not after few smallmans he rejected, nakita nya yung gusto nyang sound sa huli.

the moral, you can never say what would be the result pag pacustom. all your knowledge about wood, bracing, etc. would give you a good chance of getting the sound you are aiming pero dont expect too much na spot on ang tunog kase hangang ngayon di pa exact science ang accoustics ng gitara. if you are not that adventurous, you can get ready made guitars (taylor, martin); slightly adventurous, yung mga non traditional (breedlove, klein); if your whack like me then experiment with your own design and let someone do it for you, sinubukan kokase mag aral pagawa gitara, mahirap pala :-D
"eat with gusto!
  love passionately!
    play your guitar more!"

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #501 on: October 06, 2007, 12:12:42 AM »
boss, i think selection of wood could determine the sound of the guitar.. to some extent. marami kasing variables eg. thickness of wood, bracing, finish, even yung glue.

what i said was just the general rule about the sounds specific types of wood produce...i know that's not the only factor in determining the sound of the guitar.  :-)

honestly, i don't own an all-wood acoustic.  i have an ovation and it's been doing the job for me for about 3yrs.  the reason why i'm studying the types of all-wood guitars is because i'm planning to buy my first in the near future..and i want it to be close to perfect.   :-D

thanks for the inputs bro!  :-)
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #502 on: October 06, 2007, 01:42:59 AM »

isa sa malaki ang  contribution sa sound is the bracing, kaya yun nga ang pinag ukulan namin ng maraming experimenting ng luthier natin. i think isa ho iyon sa gusto ko sa luthier na you can discuss with yung specs mo pagka meron ka something in mind talaga. of course its not for everybody, just like the smallman classical guitar is not for everybody. he experimented kasi sobra sa bracing, very radical in his time. he veered away from the tried and tested torres fan bracing which only slightly modified by fleta, hauser and romanillos yata. but in the end na attain nya ang unamplified volume na di pa naachieve before. medyo ayaw ng iba at wala ang percussive sound ng fleta, but then again who could say that to john williams ng palitan nya dati nyang fleta with smallman, but not after few smallmans he rejected, nakita nya yung gusto nyang sound sa huli.

the moral, you can never say what would be the result pag pacustom. all your knowledge about wood, bracing, etc. would give you a good chance of getting the sound you are aiming pero dont expect too much na spot on ang tunog kase hangang ngayon di pa exact science ang accoustics ng gitara. if you are not that adventurous, you can get ready made guitars (taylor, martin); slightly adventurous, yung mga non traditional (breedlove, klein); if your whack like me then experiment with your own design and let someone do it for you, sinubukan kokase mag aral pagawa gitara, mahirap pala :-D

...which is why I played a similar instrument with similar specs and based the changes around that. Good point though...a lot of factors come into play when making an acoustic and I never buy guitars based on faith. Ever. I need to hear the guitar, play it, feel it under my fingers and see what was done to make the instrument. I even smell the inside of the soundhole to tell how well a piece of wood has been cured and dried.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline GGBR

« Reply #503 on: October 06, 2007, 02:55:49 PM »
Da return! :lol:

how was ur trip sir GGBR?  :-D

AM not yet back. I posted response to your post in the other thread....

Offline dmole

• Netizen Level
« Reply #504 on: October 06, 2007, 04:44:26 PM »

ganda ng thread na ito! hehehe nasa page 7 pa lang ako eh.

any Takamine users here? share your experience naman. I have my first electric acoustic Takamine G series EG10SC so far nagandahan naman ako sa tunog nya.. though di ko pa na try yung Martin, Taylor etc.

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #505 on: October 06, 2007, 04:48:31 PM »
AM not yet back. I posted response to your post in the other thread....

i already replied in the other thread!  :-D

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #506 on: October 06, 2007, 04:53:47 PM »
ganda ng thread na ito! hehehe nasa page 7 pa lang ako eh.

any Takamine users here? share your experience naman. I have my first electric acoustic Takamine G series EG10SC so far nagandahan naman ako sa tunog nya.. though di ko pa na try yung Martin, Taylor etc.

ano specs ng takamine mo bro?  wala pa kong experience sa all-woods eh.  ovation kasi gitara ko ngayon.  planning to buy my 1st all-wood in the near future.

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #507 on: October 06, 2007, 05:20:39 PM »

The distorting string thru the amp is a loose fit underneath that particular string. Is that a UST (under the saddle trand). Or possibly imbalanced string(s') pressure on the UST. Try depressing on that area when playing amplified.....need to run offf to dinner now....

Doc, this is the reply i got from sir GGBR about the distorting string in my guitar when amplified.  i figured he's busy there in Korea so i'll bring this up with you.  :-)

in a nutshell, what's the UST and where is it in the guitar?  any other possible remedies?  i'm too busy right now to go to audiophile main.  in fact, nasa office nga ako ngayon. hehehe!  :|

Offline GGBR

« Reply #508 on: October 06, 2007, 09:43:34 PM »
Max, to continue.....

(UST) Under the saddle means literally under the saddle. The saddle is the white piece of plastic (or bone in high end guitars) where your six strings rest on the bridge slot, which in turn is 'pegged' onto and sandwiched (with a bridge plate) glued to your guitar face (soundboard). This saddle is the point of contact that transmits the vibrant energy to the soundboard to produce audible energy in the form of sound.

Loosen your strings, carefully lift up (or use tweezers) to pluck out the saddle from the bridge-slot. You will reveal the transducer element (UST) which is seated in that bridge slot. (BE CAREFL IN HANDLING) This transducer which is more often piezo crytals encased in a very narrow rectagular/round capsule usually 1/8" or 3/32" wide. The piezo element has to 'sit' well in the slot and  has to be in full contact with your saddle so that all string vibrations are passed on from the saddle to the piezo element then to the bridge then to the soundboard then resonance within the body to produce the guitar sound. 

If there is a gap between the saddle and piezo transducer, then you wil encounter a drop in transmitted energy (weak sound) or worse- a rattle that may be amplified as a distortion. Remember that a micro-gap in a minute pick-up point of view is already an 'earthquake' hence---possibly the distortion.

Check, this could be the culprit. Other causes may exist.

PS- be sure to return the saddle in the same orientation!!!! Their is compensation along the entire width (lenght) of the saddle for each string.

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #509 on: October 06, 2007, 09:51:00 PM »
Max, to continue.....

(UST) Under the saddle means literally under the saddle. The saddle is the white piece of plastic (or bone in high end guitars) where your six strings rest on the bridge slot, which in turn is 'pegged' onto and sandwiched (with a bridge plate) glued to your guitar face (soundboard). This saddle is the point of contact that transmits the vibrant energy to the soundboard to produce audible energy in the form of sound.

Loosen your strings, carefully lift up (or use tweezers) to pluck out the saddle from the bridge-slot. You will reveal the transducer element (UST) which is seated in that bridge slot. (BE CAREFL IN HANDLING) This transducer which is more often piezo crytals encased in a very narrow rectagular/round capsule usually 1/8" or 3/32" wide. The piezo element has to 'sit' well in the slot and  has to be in full contact with your saddle so that all string vibrations are passed on from the saddle to the piezo element then to the bridge then to the soundboard then resonance within the body to produce the guitar sound. 

If there is a gap between the saddle and piezo transducer, then you wil encounter a drop in transmitted energy (weak sound) or worse- a rattle that may be amplified as a distortion. Remember that a micro-gap in a minute pick-up point of view is already an 'earthquake' hence---possibly the distortion.

Check, this could be the culprit. Other causes may exist.

PS- be sure to return the saddle in the same orientation!!!! Their is compensation along the entire width (lenght) of the saddle for each string.

hmmmm..thanks for this sir GGBR!  :-)

i think i'll just bring my guitar to audiophile (kay mang bert ba yun sabi ni Doc?).  my hands are not that careful when handling the delicate stuff...might let someone experienced to check it!  thanks for the info though...actually there was a time when the distortion turned off...totally nawala sya during the 2nd set in one of my gigs.  pero buong 1st set andun sya.  so i thought it was because of the house speakers.  tpos when i tested it here sa bahay, present tlga ung distortion..so i realized na the problem is with my guitar.  :|

maybe this is one of those signs that i need to get a new guitar! hahahaha!   :evil:

Offline dmole

• Netizen Level
« Reply #510 on: October 06, 2007, 11:41:05 PM »
ano specs ng takamine mo bro?  wala pa kong experience sa all-woods eh.  ovation kasi gitara ko ngayon.  planning to buy my 1st all-wood in the near future.

pare eto ang specs at pic nung gitara.

http://www.guitartrader.com/bigimage.icl?pid=31842&orderidentifier=&srcdoc=itempg%2Eicl%3Forderidentifier%3D%26secid%3D%26eflag%3D0%26numitems%3D0%26curitempos%3D%26dirpage%3Ddir2%26itmid%3D31842%26subsecid%3D

Check out the EG10 from Takamine. A mid priced guitar with professional features and a professinal sound. Boasting a solid cedar top and a cutaway design for extended playability.

Features:

• Solid cedar top

• Sapele back & sides (back is solid)

• mahogany neck w/20 fret rosewood fretboard (no inlays)

• rosewood pinless bridge

• gold tuning machines w/amber pearloid buttons

• 25 1/2" scale length

• 1 11/16" nut width

• Takamine electronics

• natural satin finish.

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #511 on: October 07, 2007, 12:07:05 AM »
ganda ng gitara mo bro!  :-)  abroad mo ba nabili?  nakakaasar lang kasi d2 sa pinas limited ung options natin for good acoustic guitars...hehehe!   :-D

Takamine is a recognized brand naman pagdating sa acoustics eh...so i'm sure ur guitar sounds really great!   :-D

hay grabe...parang ako nalang ata ang acoustic guitarist na ndi naka-all wood. hehehehe!   :lol:

Offline dmole

• Netizen Level
« Reply #512 on: October 07, 2007, 12:55:58 AM »

yap dito ko sa cali nabili, di ko kaya bumili dyan sa atin pre.. hehehe.. tama ka ganda nga tunog.

natry ko muna yung jasmine ng takamine.. solve na ako sa tunog ganda rin, pero nung try ko yung takamine talaga nagisip ako hanap ako ng takamine na mismo.. nag ebay lang ako pre.. well worth it nakatsamba ng halos brand new alang gasgas.

sana lang kasing gagaling nyo ako mag-gitara para maging worth it naman itong guitar hehehe

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #513 on: October 07, 2007, 02:59:14 PM »
yap dito ko sa cali nabili, di ko kaya bumili dyan sa atin pre.. hehehe.. tama ka ganda nga tunog.

natry ko muna yung jasmine ng takamine.. solve na ako sa tunog ganda rin, pero nung try ko yung takamine talaga nagisip ako hanap ako ng takamine na mismo.. nag ebay lang ako pre.. well worth it nakatsamba ng halos brand new alang gasgas.

sana lang kasing gagaling nyo ako mag-gitara para maging worth it naman itong guitar hehehe

maganda ata ang jasmine nylon acoustics...may napakinggan na ko na nylon jasmine ang ganda ng tunog...sakto for bossa songs.  :-)

i think you're worth the guitar u got bro...guitarists who KNOW the good brands are usually those who DESERVE the brands...  :-)

Offline dmole

• Netizen Level
« Reply #514 on: October 07, 2007, 11:38:29 PM »

yup I agree pre, kung wala akong nakitang Takamine talaga, yun ang 2nd option ko yung Jasmine dahil maganda rin sya tumunog.

From what I've learned dun sa isang music shop, nag try daw syang mag carry ng ibang brands ng guitar pero sablay daw at Takamine daw talaga ang gusto ng mga tao... at sabi nya malaking group of companies daw ang Takamine kaya di raw ito basta basta. Kaya na convince din ako na it's a good guitar brand though mas maraming better na high end which I can't afford right now hehe

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #515 on: October 08, 2007, 02:53:55 PM »
Anybody own or have tried the the Line 6 Variax Acoustic 700?
http://line6.com/variaxacoustic/sounds.html

Gosh, I'm GASing for it big-time.  This will solve many problems for me:
- no need to bring several guitars/banjos to the gig (no downtime to switch guitars)
- no need to buy and put pickups in all my guitars
- no need to retune several times during the gig (or sequence songs accdg to tuning)
- no need to capo / or tune down
- no feedback

What would be the disadvantages of this guitar?

Offline markv

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #516 on: October 08, 2007, 03:15:21 PM »
True Acoustic Tone:
I've written many letters about True Acoustic Tone's juvenile declamations. Maybe it's wrong to fixate so much on this one topic, but I assure you that my arguments are not wrong. Let me start by stressing that I am not attempting to suppress anyone's opinions, nor do I intend to demean True Acoustic Tone personally for its beliefs or worldviews. But I do assert that I must confront and reject all manifestations of solecism.

I'll talk about that another time. I have other, more important, things to discuss now. For starters, True Acoustic Tone's claim that we should avoid personal responsibility is factually unsupported and politically motivated. I don't get it: Why doesn't True Acoustic Tone reveal the truth about itself? I mean, eventually, True Acoustic Tone will turn its back on those who need it the most. Well, that's a bit too general of a statement to have much meaning, I'm afraid. So let me instead explain my point as follows: If it were up to True Acoustic Tone, schoolchildren would be taught reading, 'riting, and racism.

I have a soft spot for dour morons of various stripes: a bog not too far from here. The last time I told True Acoustic Tone's brethren that I want to fight to the end for our ideas and ideals, they declared in response, "But True Acoustic Tone is a refined organization with the soundest ethics and morals you can imagine." Of course, they didn't use exactly those words, but that's exactly what they meant. True Acoustic Tone is not just domineering. It is unbelievably, astronomically domineering. Let me end this letter by pointing out that the battle to give parents the means to protect their children is now joined on many fronts. We will not waver; we will not tire; we will not falter; and, we will not fail.

:lol: http://www.pakin.org/complaint

Offline gijira

« Reply #517 on: October 08, 2007, 11:48:24 PM »
...which is why I played a similar instrument with similar specs and based the changes around that. Good point though...a lot of factors come into play when making an acoustic and I never buy guitars based on faith. Ever. I need to hear the guitar, play it, feel it under my fingers and see what was done to make the instrument. I even smell the inside of the soundhole to tell how well a piece of wood has been cured and dried.

...and i thought i was the only one doing that! wow thanks very much bosing for letting me know na hindi ako pinaglihi sa aso tulad ng sabi ng kuya ko dahil inaamoy ko ang loob ng gitara. i just love the scent of wood, especially cedar and spruce. unless pinaglihi ka talaga sa aso, which will prove my brother twice right :-D

I've written many letters about True Acoustic Tone's juvenile declamations. Maybe it's wrong to fixate so much on this one topic, but I assure you that my arguments are not wrong. Let me start by stressing that I am not attempting to suppress anyone's opinions, nor do I intend to demean True Acoustic Tone personally for its beliefs or worldviews. But I do assert that I must confront and reject all manifestations of solecism.

I'll talk about that another time. I have other, more important, things to discuss now. For starters, True Acoustic Tone's claim that we should avoid personal responsibility is factually unsupported and politically motivated. I don't get it: Why doesn't True Acoustic Tone reveal the truth about itself? I mean, eventually, True Acoustic Tone will turn its back on those who need it the most. Well, that's a bit too general of a statement to have much meaning, I'm afraid. So let me instead explain my point as follows: If it were up to True Acoustic Tone, schoolchildren would be taught reading, 'riting, and racism.

I have a soft spot for dour morons of various stripes: a bog not too far from here. The last time I told True Acoustic Tone's brethren that I want to fight to the end for our ideas and ideals, they declared in response, "But True Acoustic Tone is a refined organization with the soundest ethics and morals you can imagine." Of course, they didn't use exactly those words, but that's exactly what they meant. True Acoustic Tone is not just domineering. It is unbelievably, astronomically domineering. Let me end this letter by pointing out that the battle to give parents the means to protect their children is now joined on many fronts. We will not waver; we will not tire; we will not falter; and, we will not fail.

i need a thesaurus :?
"eat with gusto!
  love passionately!
    play your guitar more!"

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #518 on: October 11, 2007, 11:55:50 PM »

:lol:

is this genuine?   :lol:

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #519 on: October 12, 2007, 12:01:00 AM »

- no need to bring several guitars/banjos to the gig (no downtime to switch guitars)
- no need to retune several times during the gig (or sequence songs accdg to tuning)
- no feedback

sir deltaslim, i think nyoy volante owns a variax 700.  it sounds really good when plugged.  :-D  i've been GASing for one too kaya lng masyado mahal sa yupangco.  hehehe!

i don't know any disadvantages of this guitar since it has good modeling schemes.  i'm just thinking how will it sound if UNplugged?  baka mejo manipis po ang tunog since very thin ung body.  not really sure.

i have another question on this.  does the variax 700, being a line 6 guitar, only works on line 6 equipment (amps, effects, etc)?   :?

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #520 on: October 13, 2007, 12:57:58 AM »
visited perfect pitch park square and chanced upon a Variax Acoustic 300.  i didn't plug it in though...according to the people there, it can be played on a normal PA system.  :-)  i don't know if Variax 300 is comparable to the Variax 700 though...  :-D  i think they have the 700 in yupangco main.  maybe i'll check it out this morning.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #521 on: October 13, 2007, 02:20:53 AM »

what the...sounds like someone got way too emo.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 02:22:01 AM by abyssinianson »

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #522 on: October 13, 2007, 02:23:00 AM »

- no feedback

i dont have the variax guitar but i do have a variax bass. the thing works well and gets the job done nicely. i really dig the upright sound.

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #523 on: October 13, 2007, 10:16:16 AM »
what the...sounds like someone got way too emo.

:lol:

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #524 on: October 13, 2007, 07:14:25 PM »
any opinions on breedlove c25 myrtlewood body... i have no experience w/ this kind 0f tone wood :-)

sure looks gorgeous though :-D