hulika

Author Topic: Larry Carlton coming to HKSAR  (Read 3147 times)

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
Larry Carlton coming to HKSAR
« on: July 11, 2006, 03:09:43 PM »
Hmm he is coming with Nathan East alongside two others under the name FOURPLAY. Gonna be good 8) August 9.
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 11:40:39 PM »
You lucky dog you! Will you be catching it?! Good grief, if there is one guy i have to see perform, its gotta be mr.335...  :cry:
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Larry Carlton coming to HKSAR
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 01:17:10 AM »
Quote from: pallas
Hmm he is coming with Nathan East alongside two others under the name FOURPLAY. Gonna be good 8) August 9.

Fourplay used to be Lee Ritenour (guitar), Bob James (keyboards), Nathan East (bass), and Harvey Mason (drums). I guess Carlton's taking over for Ritenour for the gig.

Chito

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 02:07:40 AM »
Quote from: pinoymusika
Quote from: pallas

Fourplay used to be Lee Ritenour (guitar), Bob James (keyboards), Nathan East (bass), and Harvey Mason (drums). I guess Carlton's taking over for Ritenour for the gig.

Actually Larry Carlton had replaced Lee Ritenour for a while now. He's been Fourplay's regular guitar player since the release of the album "4" in '98.

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 02:37:32 AM »
I think Carlton takes foreplay ... este Fourplay, on a steamier, sexier road to musical orgasm ...  :)
"No static at all ..."

Offline rodney vidanes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 02:56:18 AM »
cool! one of the notable guitar players that i admire...the sound and texture of his playing, his guitar truly personifies himself--may sariling boses talaga. :)
John 3:16

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 07:24:32 AM »
Quote from: psychic_sushi
You lucky dog you! Will you be catching it?! Good grief, if there is one guy i have to see perform, its gotta be mr.335...  :cry:

I sure hope so. I hope no one gets sick at work and nothing comes up on that date 8)
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 02:14:47 PM »
Quote from: Chito

Actually Larry Carlton had replaced Lee Ritenour for a while now. He's been Fourplay's regular guitar player since the release of the album "4" in '98.

Cool! I have a pogijazz DVD that contains some Fourplay "live in studio" performances. Lee Ritenour has the funniest facial expressions when he plays. Talagang feel na feel niya ang solo (or he practices in front of a mirror). Nathan East sings! And he's not bad too.

I watched Larry Carlton in Manila - at the Ultra I recall. He was teamed up with another smooth jazz guy. I can't remember if it was David Benoit or Eric Marienthal. All I remember is Carlton who was riding a bit of pop fame at the time because of his solo in Mike Post's "Theme from Hill Street Blues".

As for Nathan East - I think he's been to the Philippines twice. First time was with flutist Hubert Laws at the CCP and second time was with a pop star, Phil Collins at the Ultra I think.

Nathan East's legacy to the pinoyjazz scene is that he taught Roger Herrerra about bass harmonics.

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 03:22:14 PM »
Yup, saw that concert as well at the ULTRA ..

If I remember right, it was Larry Carlton, Tom Scott and David Benoit

Even got to meet Larry backstage after the show ..
"No static at all ..."

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006, 04:15:40 PM »
Yes Deacon you're absolutely correct as to all the facts.  I was there too. Too bad I didn't know I could meet them backstage.
Give it all you\'ve got, but slowly - Chuck Mangione