hulika

Author Topic: "Mango" as tone wood  (Read 14793 times)

Offline free2rock

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: "Mango" as tone wood
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2012, 08:41:57 AM »
LIKE us on FB!
RURU GUITAR STRAPS http://www.facebook.com/RuruGuitarStraps  GILEAD CUSTOM GUITARS http://www.facebook.com/GileadCustomGuitars

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2012, 08:46:37 AM »
Sarap!

sama nyo na lang kanin at inihaw na isda!  :drool:
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2012, 10:15:22 AM »
Kamitis at itlog?

Itlog na maalat? Patok yan!  :drool:
But seriously though. I've never knew it's being used on electrics before. Sides and backs for acoustics, yes. I guess some are meant to be eaten instead of heard.
If God intended mango to be used primarily as a tone wood, then He shouldn't have made its fruit so delicious.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 10:31:52 AM by Bart »

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2012, 11:46:36 PM »
Gikan ko niya last month gapa repaint sa akong tele. Ka Gino nga guitar ng naa sa link. Naa siyay duha nga custom nga gipa gama ni alden, ga dasok na og gitara iyang kwarto, mao ng iyang ibaligya nako. AKo tong sige og pangutana nimo sauna kabahin sa imong fireman. Pagama ta kong alden og fireman pod pero murag langay pod usahay si alden mo trabaho. Kato bass ni chuckie bacolod kay nadugay pod. Mao ng kanang iceman na lang akong plano paliton. Gi ukal man ni Gino ang pickup anang gitaraha mao ng dili ko ka testing naka plug. Ga duha duha kog palit kay mangga lagi ang kahoy... Heheheh///

Unsay gipagama diay nimo ka alden?

langay jud, wala pa siguro na tiwas ang ako-a, ang warrior knight nako ang ako gpa suhid-mura start off design. wood used is DAO, http://www.ehow.com/info_8201236_dao-tree.html

The dao slabs he showed me had good grade for guitar and had similar feel as good grade sapele. i dont think it'll be good for acoustics if you're looking for a pronounced sound

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2012, 11:58:18 PM »
@firemodel, i dont think the luthier is as good as handling mango tonewood as these guys http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ferangeli-Guitar-Handcrafter/123197751052614?sk=wall

as i met both, the one in ferangeli, has alot of experience working with mango wood, and i tried his guitars too.

you also get to hear how good the selection of the wood and its craft as it is being used as soundboard where as in solid body guitars it uses different variables.

in acoustics it is either it works or it doesnt, in a nutshell i can say 'mango sweet tones' was what i experienced and not 'mango-maasim'

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2012, 08:19:47 AM »
langay jud, wala pa siguro na tiwas ang ako-a, ang warrior knight nako ang ako gpa suhid-mura start off design. wood used is DAO, http://www.ehow.com/info_8201236_dao-tree.html

The dao slabs he showed me had good grade for guitar and had similar feel as good grade sapele. i dont think it'll be good for acoustics if you're looking for a pronounced sound

Ang third custom bass ni chuckie bacolod kay murag dao pod to. Lami iyang grano, murag bug-at lantawon ang body sa layo pero gaan ra diay aswaton. Last time ni adto ko didto, les paul, strat body og ka chuckie nga bass ako na kit-an. Didto nuon sa Colon. Naa man pod ang ubang mga guitars niya sa Bag-ong dalan. Di ko ka imagine unsay itsura anang warrior knight. Pero sa imong advice sir, akong paliton, o dili?  :eek:
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2012, 08:32:38 AM »
If you cannot test and hear it before buying, why take the chance at all?

I've done this before myself, buying a guitar without pickups. But then that's because I trust the ears and word of my friend, who sold me the guitar.

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2012, 08:34:03 AM »
how did it go?
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2012, 09:34:53 AM »
how did it go?

After over 5 years, that old Greco LP (that cost me only P10K without pickups) is still with me. It resonates to my satisfaction, and I love it with any pickups I try in it. I do not feel the need to replace it with anything newer, shinier, or more expensive.

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2012, 11:42:56 AM »
Ang third custom bass ni chuckie bacolod kay murag dao pod to. Lami iyang grano, murag bug-at lantawon ang body sa layo pero gaan ra diay aswaton. Last time ni adto ko didto, les paul, strat body og ka chuckie nga bass ako na kit-an. Didto nuon sa Colon. Naa man pod ang ubang mga guitars niya sa Bag-ong dalan. Di ko ka imagine unsay itsura anang warrior knight. Pero sa imong advice sir, akong paliton, o dili?  :eek:

bai naa string? sulayi nalang kabit ug string if sakto ba ang feel, pero if unsure jud ka ayaw nalang oi

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2012, 12:15:35 PM »
Kapag hindi maganda ang mango na ginamit sa gitara, maasim ang tunog :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline Kulas

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2012, 12:33:42 PM »
depende, in season ba o out of season? hehe.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2012, 06:26:21 AM »
@firemodel, i dont think the luthier is as good as handling mango tonewood as these guys http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ferangeli-Guitar-Handcrafter/123197751052614?sk=wall

as i met both, the one in ferangeli, has alot of experience working with mango wood, and i tried his guitars too.

you also get to hear how good the selection of the wood and its craft as it is being used as soundboard where as in solid body guitars it uses different variables.

in acoustics it is either it works or it doesnt, in a nutshell i can say 'mango sweet tones' was what i experienced and not 'mango-maasim'

Who He?  Though I am not in the mood, I can challenge his mango wood guitars against the wood of my Gil Yaron. LOL.  Classic OAS.  But nowadays, I just stick to the advise of my trusted experts rather than on anybody who pops out of the woodshed.  And you know what, the real experts DON'T use facebook. :)

Offline IncX

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2012, 06:55:58 AM »
i'll that mango and raise it by a durian!!! ... tonewood

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2012, 08:32:40 AM »
Who He?  Though I am not in the mood, I can challenge his mango wood guitars against the wood of my Gil Yaron. LOL.  Classic OAS.  But nowadays, I just stick to the advise of my trusted experts rather than on anybody who pops out of the woodshed.  And you know what, the real experts DON'T use facebook. :)

most of the builds are acoustics, thats what i meant so it wouldnt be suitable to pit an acoustic with an electric guitar. I dont think because you have facebook  really make you an expert (suhr does have facebook), its a marketing tool if you ask me.

it was merely to point that the person i know who makes more guitars using mango wood is ferando 'andoy' dagoc of ferangeli guitars in cebu, and i dont think no one in this thread is challenging you to waste your time and skills

Offline Kulas

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2012, 08:34:43 AM »

hahaha! you really have changed bro! (in the forums, hehe.) kaya ako advice ko palagi whenever someone wants to have a "cheap" custom job, subok na lang sila ng mga fernando, squiers, even yung mga hamer sa JB. they might find a good one among the others. the main point being, kailangan mo mag-testing, hehe.

otherwise, you can spend thousands to ten thousands trying to upgrade the parts on the guitar pero it'll end up dead pa rin. wood makes the difference. the upgrades only enhance, not change the tone.

now, siguro if we had a wood factory that has been drying and aging some mango planks for around 10 years or so, that might be worth a try, hehe. that is, kung hindi pa sila nilalanggam, hehe.

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2012, 06:20:39 PM »
Gikan ko niya last month gapa repaint sa akong tele. Ka Gino nga guitar ng naa sa link. Naa siyay duha nga custom nga gipa gama ni alden, ga dasok na og gitara iyang kwarto, mao ng iyang ibaligya nako. AKo tong sige og pangutana nimo sauna kabahin sa imong fireman. Pagama ta kong alden og fireman pod pero murag langay pod usahay si alden mo trabaho. Kato bass ni chuckie bacolod kay nadugay pod. Mao ng kanang iceman na lang akong plano paliton. Gi ukal man ni Gino ang pickup anang gitaraha mao ng dili ko ka testing naka plug. Ga duha duha kog palit kay mangga lagi ang kahoy... Heheheh///

Unsay gipagama diay nimo ka alden?

guys mawalang galang na po

let us respect the community by speaking only in tagalog or english and avoid using dialects.

how would you feel kung kayo naman ang naisangtabi?

« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 06:22:42 PM by analog.matt »

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2012, 08:45:05 PM »
most of the builds are acoustics, thats what i meant so it wouldnt be suitable to pit an acoustic with an electric guitar. I dont think because you have facebook  really make you an expert (suhr does have facebook), its a marketing tool if you ask me.

it was merely to point that the person i know who makes more guitars using mango wood is ferando 'andoy' dagoc of ferangeli guitars in cebu, and i dont think no one in this thread is challenging you to waste your time and skills

Point#1: As I recall this thread was about an iceman shaped mango solid body guitar right?  Anyway, I meant my first statement as a joke for SOME of his mango builds that are not acoustic.

Point#2: Real experts don't have the time to spend on facebook.  When you need to talk to them, you call them or visit them.  Real experts on tonewood could NOT care less about facebook as a marketing tool.

Point#3: If no one else is challenging my time and skills to waste on mango wood then I submit the case.  I CONCLUDE THAT NO ONE ELSE SHOULD WASTE THEIR TIME ON MANGO WOOD.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 08:47:18 PM by firemodel55 »

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2012, 09:11:23 PM »
Point#1: As I recall this thread was about an iceman shaped mango solid body guitar right?  Anyway, I meant my first statement as a joke for SOME of his mango builds that are not acoustic.
there are two builders being talked about here, 1 is someone in the negros island and the other in cebu. the one in negros doesnt build acoustics. the one in cebu builds acoustics not electrics.

Point#2: Real experts don't have the time to spend on facebook.  When you need to talk to them, you call them or visit them.  Real experts on tonewood could NOT care less about facebook as a marketing tool.
yes you can call them or visit the one in cebu.

Point#3: If no one else is challenging my time and skills to waste on mango wood then I submit the case.  I CONCLUDE THAT NO ONE ELSE SHOULD WASTE THEIR TIME ON MANGO WOOD.
huh?

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2012, 09:20:22 AM »
guys mawalang galang na po

let us respect the community by speaking only in tagalog or english and avoid using dialects.

how would you feel kung kayo naman ang naisangtabi?

Sorry but I was quoting my reply to Bryan since I never expect him to reply my post (using the dialect). ^-^
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2012, 09:24:36 AM »
Hey guys, let's make this a constructive thread. I was just asking for an opinion of those who experienced having mango as their tone wood. Anyway, I'll be meeting the axe this weekend, install some strings and heaven knows what's next. NO PICKUP!  :eek:
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline IncX

« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2012, 09:37:05 AM »
the only reason i'd see anyone use mango as a tonewood is because there is nothing else.

kinda same thing with using banana leaves as roofs.

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2012, 11:31:25 AM »
Sorry but I was quoting my reply to Bryan since I never expect him to reply my post (using the dialect). ^-^

Bro, you drew first blood ( reply #17. ) and he should have replied in either english or tagalog pero hindi.  both equally to be blamed.

I just called your attention. no color there.

let's just learn our lesson and move forward. =)

Offline dakungfuking

« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2012, 04:52:36 PM »
the only reason i'd see anyone use mango as a tonewood is because there is nothing else.

kinda same thing with using banana leaves as roofs.

and the only reason Leo fender used ash, alder, and pine,  was because they where dirt cheap and readily available at the time  :mrgreen:
and not because they where tone woods, i dont even think instrument builders from the past use them like lets say, spruce, maple and the likes

even some ply guitars sounds better than some traditional "tonewood" guitars, trussart guitars are alum of some kind of metal, all the talk of tone wood on electrics? if it is an acoustic instrument then its a whole different story , Jeff Yong of Malaysia also uses mango on his acoustic guitars, lipe guitars from the US and some others, i dont think they use mango cause there is no other alternative, it might be a marketing thing but in the end i think that one can make a "decent" instrument with just about any material :)

« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 05:01:31 PM by dakungfuking »

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2012, 05:19:29 PM »
and the only reason Leo fender used ash, alder, and pine,  was because they where dirt cheap and readily available at the time  :mrgreen:
and not because they where tone woods, i dont even think instrument builders from the past use them like lets say, spruce, maple and the likes

(ash, alder and pine are NOT cheap now and it still is used in a majority of higher end instruments.  So, despite as so-called 'dirt cheap' wood in the 50s, it is still around and has become a standard -- something that mango will NEVER become for guitar wood.)

even some ply guitars sounds better than some traditional "tonewood" guitars,

(but if you compare 'some' ply guitars than sound better than 'some' of the killer sounding vintage guitars, I think the ply guitars will sound like crap.)

trussart guitars are alum of some kind of metal, all the talk of tone wood on electrics?
(hold your horses, have you tried a Trussart?  I have and though the metal component is mainly the pickguard which does affect sound, the majority of the guitars is still wood.  And I can tell you that the metal component does not make it sound any less 'woody' in sound.)

if it is an acoustic instrument then its a whole different story , Jeff Yong of Malaysia also uses mango on his acoustic guitars, lipe guitars from the US and some others, i dont think they use mango cause there is no other alternative, it might be a marketing thing but in the end i think that one can make a "decent" instrument with just about any material :)

(Would YOU spend something like US$5000 on a 'decent' instrument made of mango?)