hulika

Author Topic: "No good sounding Ibanez guitar" talk (offshoot of "..Good old, Cheaper Set-up")  (Read 50076 times)

Offline fizz450_03

• Philmusicus Addictus
The PAs obviously weren't really working right for PG that night. Could be the culprit.

oo nga parang ang hina at lunod si PG that night  :-D
Bedroom Rock Guitar

check out my blog @ http://lifeinadreamlessworld.wordpress.com

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
The PAs obviously weren't really working right for PG that night. Could be the culprit.

Could be. The EQing at the mixer might be a bit off, or his equipment may have contributed to the problem as well. We can only speculate.
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline gradual nothing

• Veteran Member
They are paid to play them... By the way, Petrucci is now on Music Man.  Kotzen is now on Fender.  Howe is now on Laguna Guitars I think.  Gambale is now with Yamaha.  Metheny,Benson & Scofield vs... the rest on Gibson (now thats a lot).  Hahah Hahah.

i have kotzen's signature tele guitar.

and yeah i know those guys are on a different guitar manufacturers now that's why i said "before" right? but anyways, but for me.. any guitar would be fine as long as there is a guitar rather than NONE.. there isn't any holy grail on guitar though(my own opinion), its an instrument for expressing emotion & passion. about scofield, metheny & benson, what if they are paid? if they don't like how it sounds why do they still bother using it right? i mean i'd rather believe on the pro's, they are much reliable.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 05:35:03 PM by gradual nothing »
the avatar of the avante guarde

"you make the sound with your hands and you can fine-tune it with your gear"  --  ALLAN HOLDSWORTH

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
Slight correction --- there are NO good sounding Ibanez guitars.  Thanks.

Impossibru
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
Can anyone really tell if a guitarist is playing an Ibanez RG or a superstrat made by another guitar manufacturer at the same price point using just their ears? (lakas maka-blind-test nito)

I'm just curious..  :-D

BTW Mr. Oas.. Could you please make a "Sound Like Firemodel55 for Under $1,000" video??? Foinks a lot!!!n :-D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 05:28:18 PM by Skybox »
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
Can anyone really tell if a guitarist is playing an Ibanez RG or a superstrat made by another guitar manufacturer at the same price point using just their ears? (lakas maka-blind-test nito)

I'm just curious..  :-D

Wala. Wala ngang naka-hula na Fender Srat pala gamit ni Vai sa "Warm Regards" e at hindi ang kanyang usual Ibanez sig.
"Check out how Eddie Van Halen doesn’t pick his fast notes with all the same boring velocity. He makes most of his fast licks almost funky by picking some notes harder than others." - Jason Becker

Offline gradual nothing

• Veteran Member
i believe once your guitar kapag pumasok na sa electronics.. like amp(most likely), pickups and effects you cannot tell which is better na, not unless we are doing a shootout ng acoustic guitar which really-really relies on the luthiers' craftsmanship.
the avatar of the avante guarde

"you make the sound with your hands and you can fine-tune it with your gear"  --  ALLAN HOLDSWORTH

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
I just split the posts in this thread from the "Reverting to the Old, Cheaper Setup" thread. There seemed to be another discussion on Ibanez guitars so I just made a new topic for it.

Carry on, guys.

Oh... Ok then.  Carry on.  Disregard my rant.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
George Benson sounds pretty goodto me.

He might sound better on a great sounding Gibson.  Actually, the question remains.  Does he own any Gibson guitars?

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
He might sound better on a great sounding Gibson.  Actually, the question remains.  Does he own any Gibson guitars?

Gibson NO, but im sure he owns and plays his Ibanez.
Will he sound better if he switched brands dunno but from the start he is money
playing that Ibanez.

So Ibanez guitars still no go?
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
Gibson NO, but im sure he owns and plays his Ibanez.
Will he sound better if he switched brands dunno but from the start he is money
playing that Ibanez.

So Ibanez guitars still no go?

Nope.  Even I find his signature guitars dead sounding.  Not sure about the statement that he does NOT have any Gibsons...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 08:12:09 PM by firemodel55 »

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
The general sentiment is enlightening. ...so even from the Ibanez AS series, wala rin good sounding guitar? ... am seriously curious.

I think you can get better sound and character from Gibson USA.  Just gave up on Ibanez on good sounding -- I can see that its the least priority for them.  They prefer to concentrate on hardware from hell, cheezy aesthetics and endorsers who massage guitar egos.

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Reverting to the Good old, Cheaper Set-up
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2013, 08:09:54 PM »
last time i checked, Ibanez didnt make Telecasters so, yes, I agree. :lol:

plus they only make sissy arse guitars. which should only come in pink. or floral patterns. and rebadged daisy rock. only worse. something like candy-arse daisy-er rock (not).

george benson is an exception. he's a manly man who can make a man-ish sounding ibby out of the most frou-frou ibby.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
Wala. Wala ngang naka-hula na Fender Srat pala gamit ni Vai sa "Warm Regards" e at hindi ang kanyang usual Ibanez sig.

You should see Vai play his PRS...  But aside from that, I think Vai fulfills his contract faithfully.  Despite tons of non-Ibanez branded guitars in his vault he continues to play them.  The question is... what if he isn't paid by Ibanez anymore? 

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
Hi Alex,

Would this statement apply to all Ibanez, or just the new ones (lets give a cut-off year, maybe)?

While I don't claim to be an Ibby fan (I only have one Ibby, and I still haven't tested it, its still with Micsis and I had him REPLACE EVERYTHING LOL), even some of the Jazz greats use 'em, like John Scofield for example. Would the statement apply to the old Jazz boxes and 335 copies as well (hmmmm the so-called "Lawsuit" era guitars)? On a further note, would this also apply to rodded guitars, or those that have been modified a bit (change of pickups, maybe)?

And yep, I agree that a guy paid to play a guitar would make do with his "signature" model, but maybe the statement may be too generally applied?

Really curious of course  :-P

Chum

It applies to ALL Ibanez.  You have to understand, either my standards are really high or these artist are paid to play substandard equipment.  Anybody remember the local Fernando Poster of who's who of the Pinoy Music scene compiled into one pic endorsing Fernando?  Yet NOT one of them is playing Fernando on stage today...  Even Joey Pepe Smith, I recently learned, had bought a U.S. reverse Gibson Firebird.   

On the other hand, let me tell you this.  Of the years trying out hollow body and semi-hollow guitars, only a recent Gibson Custom Shop 335 delighted me.  It had so much going for it that NO Ibanez hollow body or semi-hollowbody could deliver that much character and hiyaw.

I wish it were different for Ibanez but I rather see them more as the Hyundai of Guitars rather than the Toyota of yesterday.  The Toyota of today for me is ESP. 

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
ang pangit pala ng tone ng mga to:

vai, satriani, gilbert, timmons, stanley, scofield, moore, metheny, li, gambale, friedman, benson, buckethead etc.... :-D

Yup... they are more known for technique than tone.  I have several original blue rays of vai and satriani including gilbert and their overall sound is tiring to the ears after two or three songs.  But of course, I need to watch them live.  Its just that I see a lot of equipment that they use on stage as being sub standard to mine.  I guess there priority with gear is tour with something decent without the risk of losing or destroying their toneful guitars and amps.

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
otoh people like metheny can probably get a Gibson endorsement if they wanted one (he is pat freaking metheny after all). but then they'd have to play something Gibson already makes, instead of an instrument with the specs they want. really, when was the last time Gibson came out with a signature model that wasnt just a variation of something from their regular line? so metheny choosing ibby over gibson might be something that came down to getting exactly the guitar he wanted, not getting a guitar from the regular line closest to what he wants.

otoh, metheny isnt exactly loyal either. he uses other guitars for other tones he can't get from his Ibby.

Offline alvinratsim

• Philmusicus Addictus
 :)
"If you want to play like the big boys, you've got to play what the big boys play"

Offline ToneChild

• Forum Fanatic
well, I went through a lot of Ibanez guitars wanting to nail that 80's 90's tone of Paul Gilbert. Yung sharp but not too sharp. Don't know how to describe it but it's  really prominent when you do some vibratos.

Even my so cal, phenomenal guitar, with the tone zone cant nail it.

Bought my RG3XXV. Most acoustically-resonant Ibanez guitar I've owned so far. Wow, the closest l got to getting that PG solo tone...and it's not even MIJ. Would love to A/B with a real 91 PGM100.

For me, that unique sound could only be gotten from an Ibanez. Now, it may do one sound but it does that one best. For what it's wortth, the 25th anniversary can also do the strat quack via the 2nd position. Even jazz.

And I'm a strat guy.
2008 USA Charvel SoCal Style 1 2H Black;2009 Fender American Standard Stratocaster Sienna Sunburst;2012 Ibanez 25TH Anniversary RG3XXV Laser Blue;2013 Ibanez Genesis Collection RG550 Road Flare Red;Laney Lionheart L20T

Offline DiMarzSiao™

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Reverting to the Good old, Cheaper Set-up
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2013, 09:11:10 PM »

k

← ʍɐʎıɥ

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
Nawawala ang attention ko sa tone pag pinapanood ko sila.  :drool: :drool: :drool:

Ako rin... kulang sila sa practice.  Pero napakasarap silang eye candy.  Pati si Eric Martin na pa hanga sa beauty.  Panay Beauty kulang sa Practice.  Kagaya ng Ibanez -- panay itsura lang at kulang sa tunog at character.

Offline sleepnot

• Veteran Member
Wala sa gitara yan, nasa gumagamit yan..
\M/

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
Wala sa gitara yan, nasa gumagamit yan..

Kung totoo ang sinasabi mo, eh bakit kung bibili kayo ng gitara, kailangan niyo i-test?

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
otoh people like metheny can probably get a Gibson endorsement if they wanted one (he is pat freaking metheny after all). but then they'd have to play something Gibson already makes, instead of an instrument with the specs they want. really, when was the last time Gibson came out with a signature model that wasnt just a variation of something from their regular line? so metheny choosing ibby over gibson might be something that came down to getting exactly the guitar he wanted, not getting a guitar from the regular line closest to what he wants.

otoh, metheny isnt exactly loyal either. he uses other guitars for other tones he can't get from his Ibby.

Unless Ibanez payed him more...

Not really... Check out Tak Matsumoto Double Cut Custom Ebony and Krist Novoselic RD Signature Bass