hulika

Author Topic: URBANDUB's UNDER SOUTHERN LIGHTS  (Read 13563 times)

Offline domldkim

• Veteran Member
Re: URBANDUB's UNDER SOUTHERN LIGHTS
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2007, 08:28:44 PM »
you're on the wrong page sir.
this room is only for album reviews and new releases.
post you're ad on the "Musician's Wanted" Room.

Offline otistikako

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2007, 05:12:25 PM »
This is their "Amnesiac" record. The "Ok Computer" snag belongs to INFLUENCE while "Kid A" is to EMBRACE..

Radiohead fans know the irony on this.  :-)
All these accidents,
That happen,
Follow the dot, Coincidence, Makes sense, Only with you, You don't have to speak, I feel.

Offline edzpen

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2007, 12:48:56 PM »
wuhuuu ayos to meron nko copya wahah.. orayt! hmm in my opinion parang iba ung approach this time.. hehe and seems like hindi na sila sa Lighter Records nagrecord.. hmm sa Tracks Studio na ata kaya iba na ung sound nung drums.. pero all in all this is a worth CD to buy.. enjoy guys and support local artist!! :-)

konting info lang,,,yung lighter records ay management nila, dati nagrerecord sila dun sa cebu sa BACKYARD RECORDING STUDIO, under the hands and ears of mikmik demeterio....siya ang nag engineer sa first 3 albums ng bandang ito and a host of other cebu based bands like shiela and the insects, and other visayas based bands. Bale, EMI ang distributor ng album, pero, lighter pa rin ang management nila, di yata pwedeng iwan ni lalay ang utol niyang si phat boy lim, the guy behind lighter records, and lighter press.

Choosing tracks studios is a good decision though, since angee razul is one of the best sound engineers in this country.

Sana'y naliwanagan po kayo...

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2007, 08:32:19 PM »
hmm sa Tracks Studio na ata kaya iba na ung sound nung drums..

you can bet na magiiba ang tunog ng drums since for the past three albums eh digital yung output ng drums sa CD, eto ata ang first time na totoong drums sounds eh.

Offline edzpen

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2007, 08:47:06 PM »
you can bet na magiiba ang tunog ng drums since for the past three albums eh digital yung output ng drums sa CD, eto ata ang first time na totoong drums sounds eh.

ooopppsss....yung backyard studio(which is in cebu by the way) ay isang studio na may complete setup just like the studios in manila...sa katunayan, some manila bands have recorded there, tulad ng slapshock and kjwan...so, malamang nag iba lang yung drum sound kasi, iba rin siguro ang approach ni angee sa pag mic ng mga ito.....malamang digital in the sense na, pro tools na rin yung gamit ng backyard, or in simple terms..sa computer na rin yung mix down as compared to traditional recording methods... :-D

back to the album..dito, pasok na yung mga bagay na hindi nagwork sa embrace na album..kung baga, nahuli rin nila yung approach sa sound na inintroduce nila sa embrace album.

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2007, 10:23:20 PM »
ooopppsss....yung backyard studio(which is in cebu by the way) ay isang studio na may complete setup just like the studios in manila...sa katunayan, some manila bands have recorded there, tulad ng slapshock and kjwan...so, malamang nag iba lang yung drum sound kasi, iba rin siguro ang approach ni angee sa pag mic ng mga ito.....malamang digital in the sense na, pro tools na rin yung gamit ng backyard, or in simple terms..sa computer na rin yung mix down as compared to traditional recording methods... :-D

well, let me rephrase myself. :)

i was told that, yes, the setup was live, but only for the beats; that they manipulated the sound digitally, in the sense that they can change the sound of each drum (and i don't mean EQing).

if you listen to Embrace tracks, all the rolling sounds very digital (in the sense na tunog "armalite" na.

of course, all of this is second-hand knowledge. if yours is first-hand, then i'll stand corrected. :)

Offline seyer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2007, 03:55:32 PM »
still like the one before this.  :-)

Offline chromeknive

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2008, 01:01:02 AM »
i like the sound quality of embrace better and the heart and honesty of influence better. tingin ko this is a transitional album.

i think the more modern approach of their cebu studio works a lot better for their sound. but, kudos to dub for being adventurous and trying out analog recording. mukhang wala namang effect sa songwriting yung recording approach.

well, let me rephrase myself. :)

i was told that, yes, the setup was live, but only for the beats; that they manipulated the sound digitally, in the sense that they can change the sound of each drum (and i don't mean EQing).

if you listen to Embrace tracks, all the rolling sounds very digital (in the sense na tunog "armalite" na.

of course, all of this is second-hand knowledge. if yours is first-hand, then i'll stand corrected. :)

talaga? drumagog'd yung embrace? damn!    nadepress ako e, akala ko sobrang bano lang talaga ako magmix ng drums...di ko makuha yung sound na yun with natural drums e. (so pati slapshock used drum replacement? ....sabi pa naman nila sa interview ang habol talaga nila sa recording nila sa cebu was backyard's drum room...i assumed na it was natural drums mixed and compressed to within an inch of its life to get that pummeling sound...)

Offline shadesofivory180

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2008, 03:28:22 AM »
wuhuuu ayos to meron nko copya wahah.. orayt! hmm in my opinion parang iba ung approach this time.. hehe and seems like hindi na sila sa Lighter Records nagrecord.. hmm sa Tracks Studio na ata kaya iba na ung sound nung drums.. pero all in all this is a worth CD to buy.. enjoy guys and support local artist!! :-)

wui hello,ung Lighter Records,hindi sya recording studio.company sya. :P

Offline paparoni

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2008, 08:10:39 PM »
'under southern lights the moon is right, we're moving closer together" - cebuana  :-D hahaha
angas n2ng album na 2. ngustuhan ko dub sa album na 2, previous albums kc prang pre2has ng melody e. ngayon mejo nlang, ata, hehe..

Offline domldkim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2008, 06:19:31 PM »
ganda parin.
kung napanood nyo yung gig nila sa UPFair together with Manila Philharmonic Orchestra.
nako, baka tumulo yung laway at lumuwa yung mga mata naten sa sobrang galing.
tsktsk.
sobrang grabe!
parang nakakaiyak at makapanindig balahibo yun!
panoorin nyo sa youtube.

Offline paparoni

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2008, 01:24:36 AM »
sulit yung up fair na yun, 1oras ata 2mg2g sandwich, album launch nila.

Offline boytambol

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2008, 08:33:34 PM »
my gig nga po pla sila ngaung March 1, 6pm sa timog avenue Q.C.
Php100.00 per ticket..

Offline atevanvan

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2008, 11:29:24 PM »
...ganda nung album...
personal fave ko ang an invitation, the fight is over, evidence...
 :mrgreen:

mabuhay dub! :)
...call it frustrating, call it insane, why we long for something bigger than us...1/2 wishing...

Offline hoenard

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2008, 05:42:58 AM »
astig ang urbandub... sana makasabay namin sila sa tugtugan hehehe
"There is a gold sheep and a silver sheep but the most important is friendSHEEP" - unanimous

Offline bloodyvai

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2008, 09:10:42 PM »
Astig tong album na to!

Guitar tone wise, ganda. raw na raw yung tunog talaga. balls!
Lyrics wise, more vindictive than the earlier albums
ganda ng pag ka mic ng drums. i like! tamang sipa lang

8/10 ng mga kanta gusto ko haha

all in all, good buy to mga tsong.
Ayt

Offline toolucy

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2008, 04:59:47 PM »
read this review from toolucy42.multiply.com:

Less Moodier, but still catchy as hell

Every Urbandub album is an exhibit in undergoing change. In Embrace, it was about having a new drummer and getting signed to a major label and all that pressure to outdo a classic that was Influence. Though Embrace got a lot of mixed reviews from fans and critics alike, it was the album that catapulted the band to the stream of national consciousness. For all the flak it got, it did spawn a lot of great singles(and videos as well), as well as their biggest “hit” to date, “First of Summer”.

As for their new album, “Under Southern Lights”, it was about trying something new and recording the album in a different setting and environment. For this record, they did the almost-unthinkable but completely inevitable: recording the whole album away from home; recording was at Tracks Studios using the traditional analog way. For their past three albums(and even their major label debut), Urbandub recorded, mixed and mastered their whole album at Backyard Studios in Cebu City. To leave your comfort zone and do the entire process again in a new setting with new people might be a big compromise to a band’s sound, but Urbandub, as brazen as they are, took the chance, as this is a great opportunity to widen their horizons, much more work with Angee Rozul, one of the country’s top sound engineers.

If you may ask, is there really any difference? Yes, there definitely was. I think the bite of their performance has been taken out, especially with the guitars and the drums. I was expecting more from their foray into a “more professional” setup. The sonic output still leaves a lot to be desired. But heck, as a consolation, I’m glad that the music wasn’t compromised on this release.

As vocalist Gabby Alipe puts it, Under Southern Lights is somewhere in the middle of Embrace and Influence, since it’s not as pop as Influence, nor as dark and moody as Embrace. Lyrically, it’s more straightforward and honest. While their previous album talked about falling in and out of a relationship, Under Southern Lights tackles healing and starting anew as its main theme. Their song, “Evidence” speaks about it directly, “Time has a way of healing / So why am I left here to cry?”

If you naysayers would complain that Udub has “sold out”, you’re in for a shock. This is still Urbandub in top form. Though they may not spawn another “First of Summer” with this record, there are a lot of solid songs in this one. Their first single, “Guillotine”, has been met with a lot of positive responses and it even peaked at the charts. But I must admit, this is one of the weaker songs on the album. That’s already a compliment in itself, since it speaks volumes of the depth of the whole album.

Though they didn’t steer too far away with their comfort zone, these lads from Cebu continue to impress with their seamless fusion of different genres. But in this one they let this influences really show. “Life is Easy” is a very enjoyable reggae track, much more Sublime than Bob Marley, while “Evidence” pays homage to Jeff Buckley, very smooth, jazzy and sweet. These two are the more surprising tracks on the album, as in the tradition of Urbandub having fun and doing something a little bit different from the rest.

Album openers “An Invitation” and “Anthem” rock quite well and have really great hooks, as they still demonstrate the sound of Urbandub that everyone is more familiar with. Listeners will be drawn instantly to “An invitation” right from the opening strains of the song. The only more prominent double-kick work of drummer Janjan Mendoza is evident here, and this is nowhere evident as the album progresses. I wish he’d demonstrate more of his prowess the next time around.

Guitarist John Dinopols’s complementing guitar work is still suits the mood of the songs, as he lays tasteful guitar passages over the songs. They don’t instantly stand out at the first listen, but listen to the tracks carefully, and you will be amazed at the precision, the timing and the appropriateness of these licks. Nothing super flashy, but the passages fits each verse like a glove. Exhibits one, two and three: check out the slower stuff like “The Fight is Over”, “Cebuana” and “The Evidence”. The bass lines of Lalay Lim still hits the spot, and more prominent on tracks such as “Cebuana” and “Life is Easy”. On other songs, though, it seems to be buried in the mix.

“Inside The Mind of a Killer”, which features Kat Agarrado from SinoSiKat? on vocals, has a lot of allusions to “A City of Sleeping Hearts”, but it’s way so much better. It perfectly displays the tension within the Urbandub sound – haunting yet beautiful, heavy yet very fragile, powerful yet sensitive. Kat’s vocal interplay with Gabby is pure gold right from the very start. Just listen to the song’s opening lines and be enthralled:

My mind can't take it
So what am I to do
When you find out the alcohol can't
Numb the pain like it used to?

I replay the scenes of endless dreams
That once was yours and mine

When'd you find out
You didn't love me anymore?

“The Fight is Over” is vintage Urbandub, with more allusions to “A new Tattoo” and “Endless, A Silent Whisper” than “First of Summer”. It’s hook-laden, but it’s still edgy and unconventional pop. The band dabbles in keyboards to complement the song, and once again, it doesn’t really stand out, but it just suits the whole song just fine. “Cebuana” somehow revisits the territory of “The Arsonist” from Embrace, but this is much more a “feel good” song. These two songs, along with “The Evidence” and “Inside the Mind of a Killer”, are the best songs in the album.

Though this is nothing groundbreaking for Urbandub, Under Southern Lights cements them as one of the Philippines’ premiere bands. This band is the epitome of cool, as they are one of pinoy rock’s untainted by corporate branding. They’ve still managed to make a name for themselves using their music as their weapon, instead of some bigbucks media machine manning them. It doesn’t matter if you’re a longtime fan of the band or just new to their music; This is a very good album by all means. So better grab a copy before it runs out.

successful transactions with:barbie h.,gunslinger,bossingboss,spankyrigor,obetski,:mau,markv,plugzzz,diamond_don,tummy10,ricabb7,masterchoxter,nandiecarl,basket,chuck51,kenzu,ronfmurillo,batangnon,r_chino,dubista,and lots of others:D

Offline domldkim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2008, 07:37:50 PM »
read this review from toolucy42.multiply.com:

Less Moodier, but still catchy as hell

Every Urbandub album is an exhibit in undergoing change. In Embrace, it was about having a new drummer and getting signed to a major label and all that pressure to outdo a classic that was Influence. Though Embrace got a lot of mixed reviews from fans and critics alike, it was the album that catapulted the band to the stream of national consciousness. For all the flak it got, it did spawn a lot of great singles(and videos as well), as well as their biggest “hit” to date, “First of Summer”.

As for their new album, “Under Southern Lights”, it was about trying something new and recording the album in a different setting and environment. For this record, they did the almost-unthinkable but completely inevitable: recording the whole album away from home; recording was at Tracks Studios using the traditional analog way. For their past three albums(and even their major label debut), Urbandub recorded, mixed and mastered their whole album at Backyard Studios in Cebu City. To leave your comfort zone and do the entire process again in a new setting with new people might be a big compromise to a band’s sound, but Urbandub, as brazen as they are, took the chance, as this is a great opportunity to widen their horizons, much more work with Angee Rozul, one of the country’s top sound engineers.

If you may ask, is there really any difference? Yes, there definitely was. I think the bite of their performance has been taken out, especially with the guitars and the drums. I was expecting more from their foray into a “more professional” setup. The sonic output still leaves a lot to be desired. But heck, as a consolation, I’m glad that the music wasn’t compromised on this release.

As vocalist Gabby Alipe puts it, Under Southern Lights is somewhere in the middle of Embrace and Influence, since it’s not as pop as Influence, nor as dark and moody as Embrace. Lyrically, it’s more straightforward and honest. While their previous album talked about falling in and out of a relationship, Under Southern Lights tackles healing and starting anew as its main theme. Their song, “Evidence” speaks about it directly, “Time has a way of healing / So why am I left here to cry?”

If you naysayers would complain that Udub has “sold out”, you’re in for a shock. This is still Urbandub in top form. Though they may not spawn another “First of Summer” with this record, there are a lot of solid songs in this one. Their first single, “Guillotine”, has been met with a lot of positive responses and it even peaked at the charts. But I must admit, this is one of the weaker songs on the album. That’s already a compliment in itself, since it speaks volumes of the depth of the whole album.

Though they didn’t steer too far away with their comfort zone, these lads from Cebu continue to impress with their seamless fusion of different genres. But in this one they let this influences really show. “Life is Easy” is a very enjoyable reggae track, much more Sublime than Bob Marley, while “Evidence” pays homage to Jeff Buckley, very smooth, jazzy and sweet. These two are the more surprising tracks on the album, as in the tradition of Urbandub having fun and doing something a little bit different from the rest.

Album openers “An Invitation” and “Anthem” rock quite well and have really great hooks, as they still demonstrate the sound of Urbandub that everyone is more familiar with. Listeners will be drawn instantly to “An invitation” right from the opening strains of the song. The only more prominent double-kick work of drummer Janjan Mendoza is evident here, and this is nowhere evident as the album progresses. I wish he’d demonstrate more of his prowess the next time around.

Guitarist John Dinopols’s complementing guitar work is still suits the mood of the songs, as he lays tasteful guitar passages over the songs. They don’t instantly stand out at the first listen, but listen to the tracks carefully, and you will be amazed at the precision, the timing and the appropriateness of these licks. Nothing super flashy, but the passages fits each verse like a glove. Exhibits one, two and three: check out the slower stuff like “The Fight is Over”, “Cebuana” and “The Evidence”. The bass lines of Lalay Lim still hits the spot, and more prominent on tracks such as “Cebuana” and “Life is Easy”. On other songs, though, it seems to be buried in the mix.

“Inside The Mind of a Killer”, which features Kat Agarrado from SinoSiKat? on vocals, has a lot of allusions to “A City of Sleeping Hearts”, but it’s way so much better. It perfectly displays the tension within the Urbandub sound – haunting yet beautiful, heavy yet very fragile, powerful yet sensitive. Kat’s vocal interplay with Gabby is pure gold right from the very start. Just listen to the song’s opening lines and be enthralled:

My mind can't take it
So what am I to do
When you find out the alcohol can't
Numb the pain like it used to?

I replay the scenes of endless dreams
That once was yours and mine

When'd you find out
You didn't love me anymore?

“The Fight is Over” is vintage Urbandub, with more allusions to “A new Tattoo” and “Endless, A Silent Whisper” than “First of Summer”. It’s hook-laden, but it’s still edgy and unconventional pop. The band dabbles in keyboards to complement the song, and once again, it doesn’t really stand out, but it just suits the whole song just fine. “Cebuana” somehow revisits the territory of “The Arsonist” from Embrace, but this is much more a “feel good” song. These two songs, along with “The Evidence” and “Inside the Mind of a Killer”, are the best songs in the album.

Though this is nothing groundbreaking for Urbandub, Under Southern Lights cements them as one of the Philippines’ premiere bands. This band is the epitome of cool, as they are one of pinoy rock’s untainted by corporate branding. They’ve still managed to make a name for themselves using their music as their weapon, instead of some bigbucks media machine manning them. It doesn’t matter if you’re a longtime fan of the band or just new to their music; This is a very good album by all means. So better grab a copy before it runs out.

galing too lucy.
solb lang yung mga sinabe. hehe. galing galing!

Offline toolucy

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2008, 12:55:07 AM »
tama!:D
successful transactions with:barbie h.,gunslinger,bossingboss,spankyrigor,obetski,:mau,markv,plugzzz,diamond_don,tummy10,ricabb7,masterchoxter,nandiecarl,basket,chuck51,kenzu,ronfmurillo,batangnon,r_chino,dubista,and lots of others:D

Offline lateralis

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2008, 02:12:00 AM »

Not bad but I still prefer the earlier albums.

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2008, 04:02:58 AM »
Yeah...

Now that this album's been out for a while, I can also objectively say that I didn't listen to it as much as I did with Embrace and the albums prior.  Masyado kayang mabilis yung gestation period ng mga bagong kanta?  Di ko lang talaga alam. 

Dami nang plakang lumabas ngayong taon sa Pinoy rock scene na naka-overtake na sa USL sa quality, IMO.  Mas pinapakinggan ko pa ngayon ang Angulo (strangely enough, Gabby helped produce their album too...plus it sounds like old Urbandub) kesa sa USL.

Offline kazooooks

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2008, 08:35:45 AM »
another album on the finest chart for me.. mejo bagong tunog na hindi nakakasawa..  :mrgreen: one of my voice patterned influence..too bad baduy magcover ng opm artist hehehe  :-P
Boses pitcha falsetto, Boses MAMAW kwago,  Mossimo Brip in technicolour, Royal Tru-Orange, Isaw-pasawsaw, Lazy eyes Technique Overload Yeah!

Offline munchkinsivel

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2008, 10:21:24 PM »

Maganda naman ang album, pero mas gusto ko parin yung Influence. :D

Offline bloodshedd

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2008, 01:57:13 AM »
Galing!!!
For JB MUSIC AND SPORTS' big discounts and 0% installment deals.... Check out https://www.facebook.com/JBMusicPh

Contact JB MUSIC ALABANG TOWN CENTER @ 809-1726 and 842-9545  Check out BADBURN @ https://www.facebook.com/pages/Badburn/114672008558924?ref=

Offline Dugs3

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2008, 07:34:27 AM »
Astig yung album nila ... Sarap pang driving .. hehehe ... Everytime na may bagong album sila nagbabago palagi ang sound nila , pagaling ng pagaling and it shows clearly na isa sila sa mga magagaling na banda sa Pinas ...