hulika

Author Topic: Laney Amps..  (Read 20056 times)

Offline Shekoski

• Veteran Member
Re: Laney Amps..
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2007, 05:59:00 PM »
Ibanez and TAMA drums are the coolest... all day and all night! Ibanez and Laney amps are the coolest... all day and all night! Ibanez and Laney amps last forever... all day and all night!

lol. Didn't Paul Gilbert make a song that goes like that?

Well FYI they dont use SS=s o l i d   s t a t e...They use t u b e Laney,comprehende?Read 1st b4 u make a comment  :roll:

lol. Lighten up, man. :-o

« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 06:03:30 PM by Shekoski »

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2007, 06:23:11 PM »
Hey, I am not a fan of Laney now (to think I used to have an LC50 modded with KT66s) and all I can say is that Laney seems to have that Brit high gain voice, but they don't have the balls and the raunchiness of Marshall (referring to the  JCM800 series).  They are quite pedal-friendly though.

Has anyone tried the AOR series like Richie uses in this vid?

Offline redhat

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2007, 08:27:31 PM »
i have a laney tfx-2 65watt amp,.. so far,.. best amp for me. lalo na if you like playing through the clean channel. tube sha,... so i guess the warmth is there. go for laney tube amps rather than the ss one's,..

ung mga china made na ss hindi masyado maganda as compared to other ss amps. PG uses the uk ones na tube so big difference there if ou're after PG's tone. choosing amps would really depend on your tone and reference to the genre that you play. so safest bet is to try out all the amps for yourself rather than asking around. you might end up regretting buying an amp just because you thought it had good reviews.

same thing with choosing any gear. you have to consider a lot of factors. check the laney amps out. you might like them. after all tenga mo ung ipeplease mo and not other people's ears. if it sounds good to you, then that's a good sign that the amp might be the one you're looking for.

just my two cents...  :-D

tumpak!

i hav an ss laney (forgot the model,  sa banda ksi nmin yun not my personal). watever amp you choose, better try it b4 you pay for it, and make sure there is no other amp on you budget range that sounds better TO YOU!

the laney i had was awesome. well perhaps because we play euro rock so mild dist lang. i really3x prefer it that any marshall amp.  -i can't control the gain. ang bigat.

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2007, 04:12:48 AM »
I've been playing around with the idea of getting a Laney LC-30 Mark II.  This video convinced me that with my pedal config (close to what the dude uses in the vid) would be a blast to try.  Love the pinch harmonics coming from that sucker.  I guess it also helps that he's got a Zakk Wylde Epi with the EMG pickups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok-OUZ2WSHg

Offline Shekoski

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2007, 04:25:14 PM »
I've been playing around with the idea of getting a Laney LC-30 Mark II.  This video convinced me that with my pedal config (close to what the dude uses in the vid) would be a blast to try.  Love the pinch harmonics coming from that sucker.  I guess it also helps that he's got a Zakk Wylde Epi with the EMG pickups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok-OUZ2WSHg

Yeah. I'm also thinking of the LC-30II. It's a toss-up between a Valveking 112+pedals or the Laney LC30II.  :-D

Offline Indie_Boy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2007, 05:17:03 PM »
tried laney lx65r which came out good even in recording.. nsa pag timpla nman ata yan eh.. pag nahanap mo na yung tone na gusto mo, then ayun na yun..

Offline vaisteen2003

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2007, 05:44:44 PM »
tried laney lx65r which came out good even in recording.. nsa pag timpla nman ata yan eh.. pag nahanap mo na yung tone na gusto mo, then ayun na yun..

liar!!!! nkita kita peavey gamit mo during recording eh. lol
GAS Free 2007
"As long as it matters, as long as you're here with me now"

Offline Indie_Boy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2007, 06:31:46 PM »
hahaha! minsan lang..
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 06:33:02 PM by Indie_Boy »

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2007, 12:07:14 AM »
Yeah. I'm also thinking of the LC-30II. It's a toss-up between a Valveking 112+pedals or the Laney LC30II.  :-D

I think it'll be worth it in the long run to spend extra cash to get the Laney over the VK, which I've also been thinking of getting.  The only thing stopping me from doing so w/ the VK is that with the combined gear reviews from this messageboard and the other places I've been doing my reading, it's not exactly that stellar either.  It's another reason why the LC-30II seems like the frontrunner at this point.

Offline Shekoski

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2007, 12:20:47 AM »

I think it'll be worth it in the long run to spend extra cash to get the Laney over the VK, which I've also been thinking of getting.  The only thing stopping me from doing so w/ the VK is that with the combined gear reviews from this messageboard and the other places I've been doing my reading, it's not exactly that stellar either.  It's another reason why the LC-30II seems like the frontrunner at this point.

Thinking the same thing. I don't think even a tube/speaker change will help it(VK). It's either LC or something used for me. :-D

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2007, 12:37:15 AM »
I think the Laney VC's kick arse...sayang na retract yung VC30 212 sa classifieds,it was almost mine... :cry:

Offline ninomaru

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2007, 09:21:42 AM »
If you're willing to spend cash go get a Mesa Boogie. Think of it as an investment :-) I hear PJC are selling Mesa Boogie amps. Or if you're on a budget get a Peavey VK-212 100 watts. Excellent tube amp and LOUD as hell. I only put the vol into a min when I use it at home or I'll get it from my neighbors hahaha But if you're into a bluesy or jazzy sound get a Peavey Classic series. Btw, Peavey amps are sold in Audiophile. But if you wanna go for broke go get a Mesa Boogie :evil:
Influences: B'z, L'Arc~en~Ciel, Janne Da Arc, Glay, and Crazy Ken Band

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2007, 11:06:31 AM »
I think the Laney VC's kick arse...sayang na retract yung VC30 212 sa classifieds,it was almost mine... :cry:
:lol: sorry about that dude. i had a momentary lapse of faith.

i'm glad my wife talked me out of selling it. heck, she even found another way of raising the money for me. :lol:

bitin sa drive yung drive channel nya pero i almost never use it for that anyway. i use the effin' brilliant clean channel and let an miaudio crunch box do all the crunch work.

yung valveking will give you more options. its got plenty of usable sounds and compresses and distorts more than i'll ever need. i sort of wish it had a footswitchable solo boost though. para all-in-one na talaga. yung VC30 gives you one very good and useful sound and then you build from that with pedals.

Offline Indie_Boy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2007, 11:15:11 AM »
mesa boogie kicks ass real hard! the last i've used it blew the crowds ears hehe..

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2007, 04:40:37 PM »
:lol: sorry about that dude. i had a momentary lapse of faith.

i'm glad my wife talked me out of selling it. heck, she even found another way of raising the money for me. :lol:

bitin sa drive yung drive channel nya pero i almost never use it for that anyway. i use the effin' brilliant clean channel and let an miaudio crunch box do all the crunch work.

yung valveking will give you more options. its got plenty of usable sounds and compresses and distorts more than i'll ever need. i sort of wish it had a footswitchable solo boost though. para all-in-one na talaga. yung VC30 gives you one very good and useful sound and then you build from that with pedals.
ok lang chief. :-)

Offline Shekoski

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2007, 05:08:54 PM »
Hmm...any Mesa for me is too expensive. :lol: Not too sure if I want the VK212...I mean, since the LC30 and VK212 share the same price, should I get the amp with superior specs(Celestion, Not-so-bad reviews) or the amp with one more speaker? I actually want a usable drive channel...something I can at least overdrive with a pedal.

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2007, 12:16:38 AM »
Hmm...any Mesa for me is too expensive. :lol: Not too sure if I want the VK212...I mean, since the LC30 and VK212 share the same price, should I get the amp with superior specs(Celestion, Not-so-bad reviews) or the amp with one more speaker? I actually want a usable drive channel...something I can at least overdrive with a pedal.

Yeah, I think it's impractical if one's a working stiff and only does the occasional jam and mostly does home recording to go for a Mesa (I'll just wait to hit the lottery for that  :-D). 

I wonder though if the Peavey Windsor combo would perhaps be better to test head to head with a LC30 over a VK212?

Offline Shekoski

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2007, 07:25:04 PM »
Windsor has just one channel and they say there is no headroom to be had. So cleans are probably out of the question. It's said that it models a one-channel JCM, though. :?

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2007, 12:02:23 AM »
Windsor has just one channel and they say there is no headroom to be had. So cleans are probably out of the question. It's said that it models a one-channel JCM, though. :?

Is that so?  I can now see why they're priced to buy.

I was just looking at the new Guitar Player magazine.  Looks like there are a lot of choices when it comes to combo amps in the near future, based on GP's post-NAMM report, the Windsor combo is included in the feature section.  The issue also incidentally reviews guitars costing less than $500.  Looks like those Chinese Faded Epiphone SGs will now be making their way into the US too pricing at $300 a pop.

Offline ussfdoc

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »
SS Laneys suck bigtime

Really?

Well, I'm kinda new at this amp and guitar playin thing as I've only been doing it for about 45 years now.  I went through Fender and Marshall amps, switched to VOX and used them for a long time and then I became a die hard Peavey Amp fan whether tube or solid state.  Six months ago I switched to Laney.

I've got two Laney Amps.  One is solid state, an LG35R and the other is all tube, being a VC15.  Let's talk solid state first.

First of all, I'm not really a solid state fan.  However for practice - if you practice a LOT that is, a solid state can save you a bunch of money on tubes and other maintenance worries.  I mean it's pretty worry free.  Fender, Marshall and Peavey solid state amps suck - extremely bad.  Fender solid state amps sound like toys - harsh as hell, none of that piano or bell type tone you get from the tube amps.  I've owned just about every Fender solid state amp there is and most of the tube amps too - which are good.

Marshall solid state amps also suck.  The MG10 or the MG15RCD are the best two, with the MG10 having the most flexible gain control for the overdrive channel.  However the MG15RCD has the same problem as the rest of the MG series in that you can't get "just a little dirt" without a pedal and if you crank the clean channel it breaks up in a NOT very good way. They suck as far as their dependability goes too.

Peavey solid state amps sound the worse of all solid state amps to me and that's coming from someone who used Peavey amps exclusively for almost 20 years.  The clean channels are lifeless and the lead channel sounds worse than - for lack of a better word - crap.  I've got a blazer 158 that BAMF modified that sounds ok, but it was nothing but pure torture on the ears before that.

VOX Solid state amps sound pretty good.  In fact, a VOX Pathfinder 15R is hard to beat.

Now we are at Laney solid state amps.  My LG35R has a VERY good, pristine, chimey clean channel that breaks up nicely to a mild crunch if you crank it.  The crunch channel is the most versatile I've ever seen.  You can go from a very mild crunch - that Jimi Hendrix dirty clean sound to metal just by turning that gain control.  I've not seen any solid state amps, except a Carvin that was that versatile.  At 30 watts, it is more than loud enough for home or a small gig.

Fender, Marshall, Peavey and VOX tube amps are great.  No complaints there.  However I found the Laney VC15 to be one of the most versatile low watt, class A tube amps I've ever played.  Great clean channel, great overdrive channel.  Yeah - if you do metal you will need a pedal, but for blues, blues rock and hard rock it is one kick ass little amp.
Be well,

"Doc Rick"  Even when life is a bed or roses, there are still those damn thorns!!

Offline andrew_O_O

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2007, 01:09:03 PM »
yan LG35R san mo nabili? sa jb ba? around magkano mo nakuha? lam nyo ba kung kelan biggest sale ng jb usually?

Offline ussfdoc

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2007, 01:13:41 PM »
yan LG35R san mo nabili? sa jb ba? around magkano mo nakuha? lam nyo ba kung kelan biggest sale ng jb usually?

huh?
Be well,

"Doc Rick"  Even when life is a bed or roses, there are still those damn thorns!!

Offline andrew_O_O

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2007, 01:14:39 PM »
er bigsabihin ko....how much did you buy your laney LG35R...:D

Offline TheEdge

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2007, 01:18:34 PM »

huh?

He said, That LG35R where did you purchase? JB Music Store? How much did it cost you? Do you know when will JB Music Store will have their SALE? :D
You won't get what you expect, You get what you deserve

Offline andrew_O_O

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2007, 01:19:37 PM »
oh i am terribly sorry....i did not know i had to speak (or type) english.... :-D