hulika

Author Topic: Electric guitar in Acoustic band  (Read 2582 times)

Offline taniguesashimi

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Electric guitar in Acoustic band
« on: January 23, 2017, 11:43:00 AM »
Is it acceptable to play an electric guitar in acoustic bars? Do acoustic bars accept bands with electric guitar?

Im planning to install piezo system in my electric guitar and use it for an acoustic band, because electric guitar is more comfortable to me than any other acoustic guitar out there.

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Re: Electric guitar in Acoustic band
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 12:24:10 PM »
Is it acceptable to play an electric guitar in acoustic bars? Do acoustic bars accept bands with electric guitar?

Im planning to install piezo system in my electric guitar and use it for an acoustic band, because electric guitar is more comfortable to me than any other acoustic guitar out there.

yes. if you plan to use it as an electric guitar, best to bring an AMP, or an Amp sim effect to make sure you sound natural to the audience. an electric guitar plugged straight to the mixer with no amp/cab sims is one of the saddest sounding things I've ever heard and seen.

if you plan to install a piezo system in your electronic guitar, you might want to get a piezo acoustic DI as well, something similar to the radial PZ-DI or SB-4. Piezo Pickups usually have a different impedance rating and if you plug into the mixer straight, you will sound either too weak and  lacking bass or distorted.

good luck!
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 12:29:21 PM »
yes. if you plan to use it as an electric guitar, best to bring an AMP, or an Amp sim effect to make sure you sound natural to the audience. an electric guitar plugged straight to the mixer with no amp/cab sims is one of the saddest sounding things I've ever heard and seen.

if you plan to install a piezo system in your electronic guitar, you might want to get a piezo acoustic DI as well, something similar to the radial PZ-DI or SB-4. Piezo Pickups usually have a different impedance rating and if you plug into the mixer straight, you will sound either too weak and  lacking bass or distorted.

good luck!

I agree. Bring an amp bro. Have you considered just getting a Boss AC-3?
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 12:31:01 PM »
From experience, Tele's and Strats sound great in the mix with acoustic guitars and percs. I was able to blend well in the mix with a semi-hollow as well.
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline varied_ventures

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 12:36:06 PM »

This is acceptable.

Here in Singapore, there are a lot acoustic nights. There are guitarists bringing their electric guitars.
As long as you are playing clean or just using modulation effects, then it might sound even nice.
You don't actually need a piezo pickup to musically jive in an acoustic show. Just bring your amp.

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 12:41:56 PM »
This is acceptable.

Here in Singapore, there are a lot acoustic nights. There are guitarists bringing their electric guitars.
As long as you are playing clean or just using modulation effects, then it might sound even nice.
You don't actually need a piezo pickup to musically jive in an acoustic show. Just bring your amp.

Agree. Clean or even verge-of-breakup electric goes well with acoustic. PNW bands do it all the time. Boyce Avenue does it a lot too. A low-wattage tube amp would yield yummy tones in this setting.
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 12:43:02 PM »
From experience, Tele's and Strats sound great in the mix with acoustic guitars and percs. I was able to blend well in the mix with a semi-hollow as well.

+1. whenever our band plays acoustic sets, our lead guitarist (or sometimes me if he's not present) will use an electric guitar, laced with slight grit from an OD and a reverb or delay. there is a harmonious resulting sound in an acoustic Rhythm + electric guitar lead marriage.
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline marcus_gloom

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 06:20:28 PM »
The audience wont care if youre using electric guitar. As long as you play the "acoustic" songs hehe

Offline nicoyow

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 07:59:02 PM »
Agree. Clean or even verge-of-breakup electric goes well with acoustic. PNW bands do it all the time. Boyce Avenue does it a lot too. A low-wattage tube amp would yield yummy tones in this setting.

Yep! +1 on this. This may apply but if you don't have a decent amp to bring you might also wanna consider what I do.

I don't have an acoustic simulator or an acoustic guitar or a decent amp to bring. What I do is, put the pickup selector on the middle position (tele 3 way) tweak my sound using a parametric equalizer (any brand will do) a taste of reverb (hall or room) then plugged in direct to the PA or via amp provided on the venue.

However, everything still depends on your taste.  :wave:

« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 01:23:42 AM by nicoyow »
Sa pinipig, bukod sa pwede mo singhutin, pwede mo rin tikman.

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 07:07:00 AM »
Yep! +1 on this. This may apply but if you don't have a decent amp to bring you might also wanna consider what I do.

I don't have an acoustic simulator or an acoustic guitar or a decent amp to bring. What I do is, put the pickup selector on the middle position (tele 3 way) tweak my sound using a parametric equalizer (any brand will do) a taste of reverb (hall or room) then plugged in direct to the PA or via amp provided on the venue.

However, everything still depends on your taste.  :wave:

Funny thing, I was surprised how my Tele sounded so much like an acoustic guitar when I plugged into a keyboard amp. Guitar amps generally have mids pushed even with the eq knobs set flat. I think the flat response of the keyboard amp attenuated the mids I am used to getting from guitar amps similar to what you do with a parametric EQ pedal. Instant acoustic sim life hack hahaha.
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline nicoyow

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 09:33:20 PM »
Funny thing, I was surprised how my Tele sounded so much like an acoustic guitar when I plugged into a keyboard amp. Guitar amps generally have mids pushed even with the eq knobs set flat. I think the flat response of the keyboard amp attenuated the mids I am used to getting from guitar amps similar to what you do with a parametric EQ pedal. Instant acoustic sim life hack hahaha.

Gonna visit my friend and will try this one on his keyboard amp. You gave me another idea sir!  :lol:

About the eq. I believe any eq will do. It's just that parametric eq is much easier to use on stage. Easier and faster for tweaking.
Just a couple of knobs for Lows mids and highs unlike a Graphic eq with 7-10 slides  :lol:
I usually kill my treble and make my sound bassy mid like dread acoustic. The reverb will make it more natural.
And yes, you're right that most of the guitar amps are pushed in mids especially the modern amp designs.

OT: We usually jam every sunday night with a couple of beers to take down. Somehow, I'm already sold out on how my guitar sounds on our set up. Keys, guitars, percs(beatbox) and some djembe in a open garden area.  :lol:

BTT: You might wanna consider also Skybox's suggestion TS. Start funding for a keyboard amp.  :lol:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 10:18:37 PM by nicoyow »

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 08:20:27 AM »
Gonna visit my friend and will try this one on his keyboard amp. You gave me another idea sir!  :lol:

About the eq. I believe any eq will do. It's just that parametric eq is much easier to use on stage. Easier and faster for tweaking.
Just a couple of knobs for Lows mids and highs unlike a Graphic eq with 7-10 slides  :lol:
I usually kill my treble and make my sound bassy mid like dread acoustic. The reverb will make it more natural.
And yes, you're right that most of the guitar amps are pushed in mids especially the modern amp designs.

OT: We usually jam every sunday night with a couple of beers to take down. Somehow, I'm already sold out on how my guitar sounds on our set up. Keys, guitars, percs(beatbox) and some djembe in a open garden area.  :lol:

BTT: You might wanna consider also Skybox's suggestion TS. Start funding for a keyboard amp.  :lol:

Let us know pag na-try mo bro! Lagyan mo konting hall reverb (from a pedal). Rapsaaaaa!
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline taniguesashimi

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 05:53:39 PM »
Oh my, halos nakalimutan ko na tong thread na to haha!
Very busy sa dayjob.
Anyway, been to few acoustic gigs and used my strat, as usual nobody cares but my vocalist, mejo di daw appropriate regarding image. Pero i was more confident in playing electric. Still planning for ghost installation sa december bonus hehehe!

By the way, i always use venu amp, there was a time i plugged in PA but used a zoomG1xon for amp model. I use compressor, eq, and delay set to reverb, i sound pretty decent clean and mix well with the band.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 05:58:15 PM by taniguesashimi »

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2017, 06:10:11 PM »
May nakapag try na ba to plug an electric guitar sa keyboard amp? Ano experience nyo? Yung Tele ko tunog Dreadnought talaga eh hahaha.  :-D
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 06:17:07 PM »
May nakapag try na ba to plug an electric guitar sa keyboard amp? Ano experience nyo? Yung Tele ko tunog Dreadnought talaga eh hahaha.  :-D

Hollowbody p90s to a keyboard amp paps. convincing!

Offline nicoyow

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 09:35:57 PM »
have tried it but forgot to update it here. Yes it sounded like an acoustic guitar! Anyways, di ko pa nattry sa live setting na yun ang gamit gamit ko. bahay bahay lang  :idea:

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2017, 12:12:39 AM »
Hollowbody p90s to a keyboard amp paps. convincing!

have tried it but forgot to update it here. Yes it sounded like an acoustic guitar! Anyways, di ko pa nattry sa live setting na yun ang gamit gamit ko. bahay bahay lang  :idea:

Confirmed lifehack! Haha! Apir guys!
#DigitalHiyaw