hulika

Author Topic: Digital Videography/Cinematography Thread  (Read 58017 times)

itchybrain

Re: Digital Videography/Cinematography Thread
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2010, 06:27:30 PM »
thanks itchybrain....
You think a Canon T1i(has 1080p) and just a Sony Vega Pro 9.0 can get close to the stuff you posted?

There's an obvious advantage using HD (Hi Def) over SD (Standard Def) and, definitely, your Canon T1 has better resolution than the SD videos I posted. Basta, always take into consideration where it will be shown (internet, theater, tv, etc.) before shooting. If you want better resolution, go Hi Def. In terms of post production, any video editing software naman ok kung sa internet lang ang output. If the software can handle HD, betterer, broher. My mantra is simple, the cameras and editing machines are only tools. The one operating these tools is the most important part of the workflow.  :wink:

Some of the video trailers I posted were shot and edited using high end equipment but, according to Aya Yuson, "wala sa pana yan. asa Indian." Digs?  :-D

Post ko na soon yung cinematography treatment, guys. Sorry, Phil, nadedelay. Busy lang, bro.

itchybrain

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2010, 03:40:11 AM »
As promised.

Part 1: Cinematography Treatment for Painthings (Experimental Full Length, 75 mins., DV/SD)

Direction: Jon Red
Cinematography: Ogi Sugatan
Camera: Panasonic DVX100 24P

Painthings is an experiment in narrative storytelling. It's a story about a filmmaker's struggle to make a documentary film about a painter who only exists in his mind. The use of DV/SD for this film is more of an economic than an aesthetic reason. It's a self produced film by most of us specially for Jon Red, Filipino Pictures (Francis Magalona's video Production house) and us, the filmmakers. So it's obvious that we turn to our available equipment.

For the interior day scenes, high contrast lighting was used because I want the film to have more drama. I used uncorrected tungsten lights on daylight to have that late afternoon, warm glow. A couple of blondies (2K) and redheads (850watts) were all we could afford back then. Any higher, we'd be broke as MC Hammer. For night scenes, I just balanced the camera to tungsten to maximize the use of my lights. And for a reason that I can't recall right now, my gaffer (cinematographer's assistant) forgot to bring color correcting gels for my lights. Inis.

Available light was used in all exterior day scenes. With the occasional use of a styro board for close-ups.

One interesting trivia when shooting one particular shot was when I used the light from a cell phone (it was an Nokia N92, if my memory serves me right) to give detail to the lens of the video camera the actor was using. It was a close up but I have no small light available, even a flash light, to give the video camera's lens some glare thus giving it depth (and character!) since the video camera in the movie is an integral part of the story. It only shows that necessity is the mother of all inventions.

Camera mounting was done hand held verite style.

*next: Cinematography of Koro.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 03:41:34 AM by itchybrain »

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2010, 03:51:16 AM »
As promised.

Part 1: Cinematography Treatment for Painthings (Experimental Full Length, 75 mins., DV/SD)

Direction: Jon Red
Cinematography: Ogi Sugatan
Camera: Panasonic DVX100 24P

Painthings is an experiment in narrative storytelling. It's a story about a filmmaker's struggle to make a documentary film about a painter who only exists in his mind. The use of DV/SD for this film is more of an economic than an aesthetic reason. It's a self produced film by most of us specially for Jon Red, Filipino Pictures (Francis Magalona's video Production house) and us, the filmmakers. So it's obvious that we turn to our available equipment.

For the interior day scenes, high contrast lighting was used because I want the film to have more drama. I used uncorrected tungsten lights on daylight to have that late afternoon, warm glow. A couple of blondies (2K) and redheads (850watts) were all we could afford back then. Any higher, we'd be broke as MC Hammer. For night scenes, I just balanced the camera to tungsten to maximize the use of my lights. And for a reason that I can't recall right now, my gaffer (cinematographer's assistant) forgot to bring color correcting gels for my lights. Inis.

Available light was used in all exterior day scenes. With the occasional use of a styro board for close-ups.

One interesting trivia when shooting one particular shot was when I used the light from a cell phone (it was an Nokia N92, if my memory serves me right) to give detail to the lens of the video camera the actor was using. It was a close up but I have no small light available, even a flash light, to give the video camera's lens some glare thus giving it depth (and character!) since the video camera in the movie is an integral part of the story. It only shows that necessity is the mother of all inventions.

Camera mounting was done hand held verite style.

*next: Cinematography of Koro.

really appreciate it itchybrain..you are a giving sharing man.   :-)
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

itchybrain

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2010, 03:54:58 AM »

You are most welcome, Bro. And thank you for the compliment. More to come! :-)

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2010, 03:23:46 PM »
OGIE!!!!

kailangan kita makausap... RAKET TO!

good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline giftmones

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2010, 02:46:12 PM »
GAnda ng thread na ito..

gusto ko rin matuto nito,

sir ano po gamit nyo na software pag gumagawa ng mga vids?

itchybrain

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2010, 01:27:51 PM »
Sorry for the follow up, guys. My sched's been hell lately. So here goes the second installment:

PAR 2: KORO
Music Video
Artist: Greyhoundz feat. GLoc 9 and Francism (RIP)
Format: 24P, SD
Camera Used: Panasonic DVX100
Director, Cinematographer and Co-Editor: OGi Sugatan

When the boys of Greyhoundz asked me to make a music video for their then new album, they told me to just express my thoughts and ideology about what I think of the song: no rules, no compromise, just pure expression. The music is all about being in the dark with all the crap the society (and kapwa pinoys) give, I  thought of the movie Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind in a heartbeat. I pegged the "erasing the memories" segments inside Joel's (Jim Carrey) mind as a jump-off point where just one spot-key light was used to convey an "inside the mind" visual treatment. It's like "the light at the end of the tunnel but the difference is that light source isn't at the end but rather following the character/s.

Here's a visual reference:

I used a handheld Omni light, a 350 watter light source wrapped with a diffuser called a 216 (it's like a tracing paper but now quite. really used specifically in pro lighting) and "*snooted" it with a black cartolina in all of the interior shots. Now, to make it more dramatic, I used smoke and backlit it with a 2K Blondie. Since it's self-produced (by Greyhoundz and my production house, Brass Knuckles), obviously funds were low, instead of using a smoke machine (which is really expensive rented) we made smoke guerilla style: uling (coal) + baby oil. :-D Effective but not lung friendly. We have to get out and clear the smoke with a huge electric fan to be able to set up for another shot.

All exterior shots of the dreadlocked man crawling were all done guerilla style. Yung tipong hinahabol kami ng guards sa Ortigas Center. :-D

I graded the video in post. Saturated bright colors too. Almost monochromatic. Almost. On the interior shots. As for the look of the crawling man's sequences, I chose to make it look like an old Super 8mm film which i liked so much. :-D

Though I really liked the lighting and visual treatment, the most interesting thing about this video, if you notice, is the syncopation of the video to the audio. I shot the video in normal speed (29.97 fps is the standard frame rate for video) while speeding up or slowing down the music on playback. Meaning, during the shoot, the singers (or rappers) perform the song parts in different speeds so that when I edit-in the video to the audio in post, it'll have that weird jerky effect while still being synced. Noice. At that time variable shooting rate in video was not yet possible unlike these days so i did all the "daya" in post.

We were lucky that Sienna College allowed us to shoot in their halls and "vandalize" on the walls. Sadly, the cleaning up took longer that the shoot itself. Haha. :-D

There you go. God bless you all.

* A Snoot is a contraption that you put in light sources to have that "spot" effect.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 07:47:54 PM by itchybrain »

itchybrain

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2010, 01:38:50 PM »
GAnda ng thread na ito..

gusto ko rin matuto nito,

sir ano po gamit nyo na software pag gumagawa ng mga vids?

I used to edit on Premiere but PC hardware and software problems took a toll on me. Now I use Final Cut Pro on Macs. For me, mas stable ang workflow and system.

Offline acecastillo

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2010, 11:14:14 AM »
sir ogie,

when is your next shoot?. i was wondering if i can observe sa shoot nyo. my group and i just finished with our short. since i wanted to learn more on lighting and directing. i went to see sir dix buhay and sir ra rivera shoot for [apple] and learn a few important things. also with sir nap jamir's lessons on cinematog. but still i am in much need of exposure on practical things. i am very greatful if i or my group would be invited to any shoot you will have. also we or I can run on any small things to help you on the shoot. maraming salamat sir...

ace castillo

Offline acecastillo

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2010, 11:28:42 AM »
Orange Cartel - Grab (Nikon D90) :D

im proud of my mates for having done this out of a still photo camera with only the video on the side.

nice...

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2010, 01:03:30 AM »
hey guys, please allow me a simple plug :)

this is our music video for our song Malayo (by Publico)

Offline acecastillo

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2010, 03:38:21 AM »

nice!

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2010, 01:45:44 PM »
I used to edit on Premiere but PC hardware and software problems took a toll on me. Now I use Final Cut Pro on Macs. For me, mas stable ang workflow and system.
bosing ano ba dapat na specs sa mac kasi tuliro ako kasi hindi ko matapos itong video na ginagawa ko. inumpisahan ko sa mac ( Imovie) pero mabagal kaya sa PC ko tinuloy kaso hindi ko ma print sa dvd so babalik ako sa macbook pro using Final Cut Studio - 4 gigs lang memory.. any recommendation paano mapapabilis ang pag print sa DVD? thanks ng marami..
btw me nagsabi sa akin na gamitan ko daw ng compressor ( ng final cut hindi hardware hehehehe) ano sa tingin mo?
Music is art in sound...

Offline acecastillo

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2010, 09:28:21 PM »
Good Day mga sir...

video plug lang :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYKKyRoRV5I
1st verstion w/o the story

salamat

itchybrain

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2010, 10:45:24 PM »
bosing ano ba dapat na specs sa mac kasi tuliro ako kasi hindi ko matapos itong video na ginagawa ko. inumpisahan ko sa mac ( Imovie) pero mabagal kaya sa PC ko tinuloy kaso hindi ko ma print sa dvd so babalik ako sa macbook pro using Final Cut Studio - 4 gigs lang memory.. any recommendation paano mapapabilis ang pag print sa DVD? thanks ng marami..
btw me nagsabi sa akin na gamitan ko daw ng compressor ( ng final cut hindi hardware hehehehe) ano sa tingin mo?

bro, ano format ng video mo? SD ba or HD? Ano running time ng video?

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2010, 03:29:36 AM »

I actually like this song..doon sa supposed to be "album release" na minamaster ko..but i guess it wasn't meant to be.. tanong ko nga pala
1. ito ba yung recorded sa Tracks? o nire record nyo..obviously hindi ito yung tracks na meron ako..
2. anong camera gamit nyo..?
3. anong editing software gamit dito..salamat!
just pm me kung gusto nyong marinig yung "version" ko.. i can do it again na i remix yung tracks na nasa akin..
Music is art in sound...

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2010, 03:32:34 AM »
bro, ano format ng video mo? SD ba or HD? Ano running time ng video?
bro SD lang hehehe ala pang pambili ng HD na cam.. saka 3 hrs yung video na malamang na putulin ko hanggang 1 1/2 o 2 hrs o baka less than an hour kung aayusin at aalisin yung hindi magandang kuha..wedding video ito eh.. tagal ng hindi ko magawa..kakahiya na mag 1 yr anniversary na eh hehehhe.. :oops:
Music is art in sound...

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2010, 05:28:54 AM »
I actually like this song..doon sa supposed to be "album release" na minamaster ko..but i guess it wasn't meant to be.. tanong ko nga pala
1. ito ba yung recorded sa Tracks? o nire record nyo..obviously hindi ito yung tracks na meron ako..
2. anong camera gamit nyo..?
3. anong editing software gamit dito..salamat!
just pm me kung gusto nyong marinig yung "version" ko.. i can do it again na i remix yung tracks na nasa akin..

hey baldo! yeah we still remember that incident. :D you were corresponding with Louie dati diba?

1. yes this was recorded in Tracks.
2. we used a Nikon D90 with varying lenses. may ibang parts where we used a Canon Mark II (i think). can you spot the difference? :-D noticeable, actually.
3. yan ang hindi ko alam pero i vaguely remember hearing something like "Vegas" dun sa nag-edit.

haha no thanks, we have a copy of that track (pre-mastered, i think). parang mali ata yung desisyon namin dati to make it sound like a live performance. :D i won't go too far to say that it was a scam, but we all learn hard lessons. haha

Offline BenjieMusic

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2010, 10:10:17 AM »
nagkakainterest tuloy ako sa Digital Videography/Cinematography.

sana magkaroon din ako ng kaalaman dito.  :-)

Like Us On Facebook! "Buttercircus Project"  facebook.com/buttercircusproject

itchybrain

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2010, 12:17:53 AM »
Good Day mga sir...

video plug lang :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYKKyRoRV5I
1st verstion w/o the story

salamat

Great job, Ace. I love the color. :-)

itchybrain

« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2010, 12:21:17 AM »

Hey! I love the design on this video. Panalo. Great job! Nice music too!

Offline acecastillo

« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2010, 10:52:27 AM »
Great job, Ace. I love the color. :-)

maraming salamat sir itchybrain....ayus!

itchybrain

« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2010, 11:22:45 AM »
bro SD lang hehehe ala pang pambili ng HD na cam.. saka 3 hrs yung video na malamang na putulin ko hanggang 1 1/2 o 2 hrs o baka less than an hour kung aayusin at aalisin yung hindi magandang kuha..wedding video ito eh.. tagal ng hindi ko magawa..kakahiya na mag 1 yr anniversary na eh hehehhe.. :oops:

hmmm... i had an old powerbook G4 and made a dozen short films and a couple of full lengths so i guess kung 4GB yung (RAM) memory nyan sobrang powerfull na niyan, bro. double check the configuration/s of your editing software siguro or PM mo si Kulas. Magaling na editor at post guy yun!  :wink:

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2010, 10:25:39 AM »
hmmm... i had an old powerbook G4 and made a dozen short films and a couple of full lengths so i guess kung 4GB yung (RAM) memory nyan sobrang powerfull na niyan, bro. double check the configuration/s of your editing software siguro or PM mo si Kulas. Magaling na editor at post guy yun!  :wink:
yung laptop e macbook pro na 2.6 GHz dual core na 17 inch 1 yr old na ito hehehhe..at one year old na din yung Final Cut studio na hindi ko pa din naaaral  :oops:... so kung 4 gigs ok na pala yun? i wanna see yung full length film na ginawa mo..o kahit na portion lang..sa you tube ko na lang titignan..title please?? hehehe..thanks ng marami..
Music is art in sound...

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2010, 10:29:04 AM »
Badong..ok.. i just want you to hear it, dont worry no charge naman..hindi ko na kasi nakakausap si happyjoey.. 8-) u can ask him din if he is interested. i think with better ad converters mas mapapaganda pa yung quality ng recording sa final mix and master. 8-)
Music is art in sound...