hulika

Author Topic: Baker 55 vs. Baker 41  (Read 37565 times)

Offline nealyu

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Baker 55 vs. Baker 41
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2007, 07:41:41 PM »
ohhh... Maybe all 7 vintage guitars you've tried were really crappy. Just maybe.

Chito

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2007, 07:45:38 PM »
The 41 requires another video clip so we can see how it compares to the 55. You should also play it the same way you did with the 55:

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2007, 07:50:48 PM »
Chito,

Dont need to do a clip... If you think that type of clip is sufficient to review a guitar than you are mistaken..  By the way #41, is a 25 inch scale -- something we can thank PRS for along with the P90s.  I will say that #41 will blow away any PRS with the same P90 configuration.

The clip was done for a bunch of people who were not yet familiar with how to determine a guitar with "hiyaw".   

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2007, 07:57:24 PM »
Beautiful new axe, Alex. Looks like I'll have a slightly sadder Christmas. I was actually hoping that you won't like #41 so that I could buy it from you. Hahahaha!
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2007, 07:58:18 PM »
Pnut,

I got the stands from Audiophile.  Not sure if they still have them though...

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2007, 07:59:57 PM »
Poundcake,

Thanks... it just came in yesterday.  Still putting both thru the rounds to determine their major differences.  Playability is similar to #55 which you are familiar with except that spacing is wider... P90s really growl and are less compressed...

Chito

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2007, 08:37:10 PM »
I didn't say it was. Just thought it could be ONE way of comparing the two.

And why no need for a clip? Since you said that it was done for the benefit of "a bunch of people who were not yet familiar with how to determine a guitar with 'hiyaw'", maybe you can do one again to show whether 44 has a different "hiyaw" from the "55". Or do they have the same "hiyaw"?

Oh and being one of those who is unfamiliar with the "hiyaw" that you are talking about, is "hiyaw" the sound that is supposed to be heard when you do the bends and do that signal with your finger?

Chito,

Dont need to do a clip... If you think that type of clip is sufficient to review a guitar than you are mistaken..  By the way #41, is a 25 inch scale -- something we can thank PRS for along with the P90s.  I will say that #41 will blow away any PRS with the same P90 configuration.

The clip was done for a bunch of people who were not yet familiar with how to determine a guitar with "hiyaw".   
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 09:24:09 PM by Chito »

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2007, 09:01:57 PM »
Chito,

41 has a similar amount of hiyaw to 55, more so I think which is the big surprise because it is super duper difficult to get two guitars with different woods to have the same property.  Really, it is hard for a recording medium to capture because there is a curling event at the top of the bend. 

"Do that signal with your finger" -- you can do it on all guitars but only a very select few actually wail without being flat.  It feels as if it has more to go on top of the bend.  On most guitars, the note just dies immediately and feels kind of unresponsive.

HIYAW is the major measure I use because most guitars with really rich HIYAW turn out to be guitars that sustain, remained defined across the fingerboard, chords sound like a well trained on the spot choir, have defined pick attack versus sustaining fundamental note, really full of harmonics, sound balanced across all the strings and just are so fun to play that you cannot put it down...

Offline snidd

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2007, 09:09:18 PM »
being the average player and listener that i am, when i compare these two videos:

and

i would say that the elegee guitar smoked that baker's ass. nakakairita pakinggan yung baker eh. unlike that elegee which actually sung.

Offline vaisteen2003

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2007, 09:11:27 PM »
CAUTION: HIGHLY OPINIONATED CHRISTMAS HONEYMOON

In my opinion, these two guitar will kill 99.5% of the world's guitars and there is nothing better than them.  There may be a few guitars on their level but this for me is where I am at peace.  Finally, buying guitars I can say with 100% confidence is now truly fun because I have found a luthier who can get the sound I want and match it with great looks.

I use to think that I could get away with cheaper responsive guitars which were Japanese because I was so disappointed with a lot of the USA stuff.  Truly these two guitars give us a brief glimpse of the small core of handmade USA luthier guitars that really define what it is to be a proud owner of a USA made guitar.  These are truly works of art that seek to touch the emotion which will not be passe. 

Is there any locally made guitar that can touch any of them?  None.   These two guitars not only combine classic beauty, playability, sound, response and feel, but more importantly there is an immediate emotional connection.  The MAGIC of why we all GAS.  For me, it ends here.  Journey is finished.  Anytime, I need a new guitar with a different configuration, I will just go to Gene and Cliff to ask them to configure and cook it to my sound requirements more importantly because I am aligned with them thru the reference #55 and #41. 

mind if i ask what your sound requierments are, and while your at it kindly tell na din of your tone references.
GAS Free 2007
"As long as it matters, as long as you're here with me now"

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2007, 09:12:11 PM »
Dont worry Snidd,

It did not... but its easy to be confused because what the FCK were they thinking when they were recording the baker with a NOKIA cellphone.  

And the funny thing is people like you will judge a guitar based on a NOKIA cellphone recording and yet will not buy your own personal guitar based on a NOKIA recording...

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2007, 09:14:25 PM »
Vaisteen,

I think some several months ago, I enumerated my sound requirements... 

Chito

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2007, 09:22:27 PM »
What about giving me some names of recordings/CDs/songs where I can actually hear the "hiyaw" you are talking about? Maybe that would be a lot clearer for me as you have to agree that what I hear as good might not be good for you, kinda thing.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2007, 09:32:05 PM »
Boss Chito,

Dont know of any recordings where I can pinpoint HIYAW clearly ...  the recording medium is not good at capturing this property that is why there is difficulty in trying to identify it.  Whats more important, only so few of the world's guitars have it thats why it does not show up in a lot of recordings.

In my experience, I only discovered it after a/b ing around 10 premium super strats and that my best friend luthier had to first teach me to identify it at that. 

Maybe if I give you some rough abstractions --

1. did you ever experience why for no reason it seems that some guitars scream higher than some other guitars with the same amount of effort?

2. did you ever notice that you liked guitars that did not sound flat when bent?

3. its easier to get a wah wah type sound from doing successive bend and release from some guitars than others?

4. or maybe ever felt that some guitars could sustain the top bent note longer than others?

5. or maybe on some guitars that volume at the top of the bend gets louder before it fades away?

Really hard to explain specially when the signal goes thru a multi fx...

Offline snidd

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2007, 09:36:09 PM »
Dont worry Snidd,

It did not... but its easy to be confused because what the FCK were they thinking when they were recording the baker with a NOKIA cellphone. 

And the funny thing is people like you will judge a guitar based on a NOKIA cellphone recording and yet will not buy your own personal guitar based on a NOKIA recording...

actually i would. if it sounds great through a Nokia cellphone recording, how much more live? unfortunately for you, you failed to prove to an average guitar player like me that your guitar smokes majority (99.5%) of guitars.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2007, 09:38:20 PM »
You are funny... You have a lot to learn mr. average guitar player or you are not yet exposed...  but thats ok.  at least there's a chance that you are not tone deaf

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2007, 09:54:57 PM »
Congrats sa guitars!

they do look great. but at 10K USD, hmmm, ill put it in my mortgage na lang, its not worth it(my opinionated opinion lolz).

Offline snidd

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2007, 10:01:37 PM »
yes mr. rich man with nice gear and no talent. and you have no chance at playing that guitar to it's full tonal potential.

oh well. enjoy your guitar and your money.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2007, 10:02:54 PM »
Hehe...  umiinit na!  *eats popcorn* 

Di na ko makikisali, will just point out curious cosmetics and specs observations... might help those who'd like to buy similar guitars from Baker. 

Gene Baker either did a poor job with that teardrop tobacco finish or he was going for "Sta Mesa look" -- very 2 dimensional and un-natural.  Well, if the buyer/owner likes that look, good for him. Kanya kanyang taste lang yan.

I also wonder how 3 P90s (3 big ass single coils) will affect string drag, and therefore harmonics and sustain. 
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 11:01:52 AM by deltaslim »

itchybrain

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2007, 11:19:59 PM »
You are funny... You have a lot to learn mr. average guitar player or you are not yet exposed...  but thats ok.  at least there's a chance that you are not tone deaf

Ouch. Below the belt 'to ah. Yagballs ika nga.

'Di ba ipinagbabawal dito sa Philmusic ang isnultuhan? Kung hindi, back off na ako sa Philmusic. Sayang ang ganda pa naman ng site...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 11:22:42 PM by itchybrain »

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2007, 11:22:02 PM »
Snidd,

So whats your claim to talent?  

Yes I will enjoy my guitar.

Deltaslim,

I will tell Gene and Cliff to pay royalties to Santa Mesa because some gear expert named deltaslim felt that they did not do a good job on the teardrop tobacco finish. NOT.  Sorry dude but you are off again.  Aesthetically in person it looks better than in the pictures, its actually more of a jet black guitar with a spot in the middle.  Really classy.  By the way, I did not buy this guitar based on looks but the guarantee that it will sound killer.  Unfortunately, you do not have such killer guitar yet in your possession.  Maski na 3d ang look mo pero kung panget ang tunog better to have something 2d that sounds killer.

The 3 LOLLAR P90s sound better than any of the P90s you ever owned.  Harmonics and sustain are tops and as I said before will blow away 99.5% of the guitars in existence and that includes all of yours.  Wonder no more.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2007, 11:29:05 PM »
I just realized how funny Mr. Deltaslim is...

In one sweeping post, he slammed Gene Baker, Cliff Cultreri and Jason Lollar...

And more importantly, Deltaslim has no experience whatsoever with the physical products of these three people at least in terms of owning them for a period in time.

Its true kanya kanya lang ... kanya kanyang fantasy

Kaso isa lang realidad, mayroon akong 41 at ikaw ay wala Mr. Deltaslim.

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2007, 11:32:58 PM »
this thread is going nowhere fast. keep it cool guys.

anyway, sir alex, please make a clip of your guitars. kahit walang magic na marinig. just let us hear the guitar sing/be played. at least yun, maririnig rin ng mga tao na maganda kahit papaano ang guitars mo tonewise. thanks :)

Offline cowboi_way

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2007, 11:34:02 PM »
ito pahabol sa topic of the year... go go idol !!!^
fender standard strat (standard lang)squire by fender strat cali (crap)fender fm 25dsp (crappy)marshall ms-2r (great sounding amp, cool od)yamaha fx370c (ok na rin)kahon - maestro ( nakita sa mag used by escueta)line 6 - floor pod ( yeah  ! )
fender-dc60

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2007, 11:40:25 PM »
something like this:

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/music/SummertimeDirty.mpg
http://www.scottlernermusic.com/music/SummertimeClean.mpg

(got this from the old thread "first ever Baker b3 in manila")