hulika

Author Topic: "I see blue people ..."  (Read 2908 times)

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
"I see blue people ..."
« on: July 31, 2006, 10:33:56 PM »
Didn't know Bruce Willis could play some pretty mean blues riffs ..  :)

search=robben%20ford%20bruce%20willis
"No static at all ..."

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
"I see blue people ..."
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 12:00:37 AM »
Didn't bother to click the YouTube link, but it's been pretty well known that Willis plays a mean blues harp - he even does it authentically, with that teardrop shaped vintage shure mic plugged into a guitar amp for tube distortion. Way back when (and this was already post-Moonlighting and around the time of Die Hard) he even had a TV concert special called "The Return of Bruno".

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
"I see blue people ..."
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 12:19:38 AM »
I guess that makes him a blues 'Demi'-god ...  :)
"No static at all ..."

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
"I see blue people ..."
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 12:56:15 AM »
deac,  must have really been a slow week for ya.. :)

anyway if he used a blues harmonica, then i think its already set to play the blues scale.... now if it was chromatic harmonica then believe na talaga ako....
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline 430nmtune

"I see blue people ..."
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 06:40:48 PM »
I got Bruce Willis' CD from the bargain section. He is very good.

The 10 hole diatonic(Blues harp is one of the models) is not easier than the chromatic harp. Not all notes in the blues scale are present if you don't know how to bend some notes. The chromatic harp is also sort of set to the blues scale if you play 3rd position or fourth position minor blues. The chromo has all the notes and there is no need for any bending skills. Both harps has its own pros and cons. none is inferior or easier than the other. Generally the ten hole is nicer for blues, rock and folk and the Chromo is better for Jazz, Pop and classical.
There is a common notion that the blues harp is the easiest blues instrument.......hehehe. Dead wrong.

Bruce Willis is not up there with the current harp wizes like C. Musselwhite, Rod Piazza, Mark Hummel, Gary Smith and all the dead legends but he is quite good.

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
"I see blue people ..."
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 09:18:03 PM »
Quote from: pinoymusika
that teardrop shaped vintage shure mic

Shure 520DX,  Green Bullet

The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline serpentboy

"I see blue people ..."
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 09:24:13 PM »
He's good! Better than me hehehe...

"There is a common notion that the blues harp is the easiest blues instrument.......hehehe. Dead wrong." - I agree with this statement, 100%!!!

Been practicing blues harp for almost 10 yrs now, still I can't compare myself to the masters. Ang hirap talaga. Though I've memorized several riffs, when the actual jam comes, I forget everything!!!

I guess I just need to practice, practice, and practice... and practice some more.

(By the way mga blues bros, where's the best place to buy Hohner diatonics? Sa 'pinas ha... any help would be appreciated, tnx!!! )

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
"I see blue people ..."
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 10:59:34 AM »
Quote from: Tarkuz Toccata

Shure 520DX,  Green Bullet

Yeah that's the one - Tomcat Colvin uses that too, and lugs a fender amp during gigs.