hulika

Author Topic: Setting up your PC for Recording  (Read 296806 times)

Offline kaishin_zurcs

Re: Setting up your PC for Recording
« Reply #475 on: November 03, 2009, 04:20:14 PM »
Welcome to the forums, kaishin!

To be honest, I never tried the Behringer Podcast Studio - never needed to. It does fall, however, into the "you-get-what-you-pay-for" category, meaning it is inexpensive and possibly meant for only what it says... podcasting. AFAIK, they give you a small mixer, headphones, a UCA202 interface and a dynamic mic; not bad for a podcasting kit, but a little too much gear to lug around if you want a truly portable rig. I've seen podcasting rigs based on a usb mic, eliminating the need for a mixer and interface. Still, I'm pretty sure it is adequate for the intended job.

As for serious recording, however, that is another matter.

Hmmm.. I think I get what you mean by this explanation. My friend suggested this when we are talking about having our own DAW and he goes suggesting to have this instead of buying sepperate gadgets for Audio recording. However, his intention is to use this not for Podcasting but for recording DEmo's for his band. I think he is under the impression that "all the you need" is in a package deal already so taht is hwy he prefered this. :))

Well, since i am a newbie i think for now i'll go for the creative soundblaster setup first then Go from there. thank again sir kit. More power to you and this trhead. :)
My Faith Blog: Behind this Piercings and all :  http://jeremysauzacruz.blogspot.com/

my Photo Blog: http://thelowlycameraman.blogspot.com/

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #476 on: November 03, 2009, 05:52:21 PM »
What you need is a full mixer, preferably 12 channels so you can record a majority of vocals and instruments. The Behri UCA will give you a means to record into the computer, or you could use the 'blaster line inputs in a similar manner. Mind you that having been a blaster user before, I know the difference in audio quality when stepping up to a better card. If you are planning on using a pci 'blaster, try to consider the M-audio 2496 instead as it has better audio specs. This will still limit your recording to 2 channels or stereo only. There is a way to record using spdif to increase your channel count to 4, but let's take it one step at a time.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline alvincflorentino

« Reply #477 on: November 03, 2009, 08:12:10 PM »
Sir Kit

This is in relation to the post I had a few messages back. Didn't think I had to specifically address you to get your response but I'll try again...

I asked about the HD speed, etc. Actually, thinking back I believe the answer to my query is pretty obvious since upgrading to the 7,200 speed should make it run at 7,200 as long as it's the internal kind, right? Well here's another one that may again seem pretty obvious: would using an external HD (either the 7,200 desktop versions or the slower 5,400 laptop versions) connected via USB 2.0 to your laptop or desktop slow the actual access time--you know, at real world recording speeds--and make the external HD speed moot since the SATA connection is not being taken advantage of? I know that USB 2.0 and firewire 400 have more or less the same speeds (60 to 80 MB/sec?) and that firewire 800 is much faster (but who's got firewire 800 nowadays?). Anyway, my real concern is if the above info is within the ballpark, would using an external HD into USB 2.0 pose problems during 1) live recording and tracking, and 2) mixing and mastering using plug-ins, assuming that you save your files (and therefore access them when mixing) using the external HD? Hope I got your attention and will appreciate any response. Thanks again.

Alvin
Korg Kronos, Korg PolySix, Roland Juno-106/SH-101; Fender '57 strat/'52 tele, Gibson LP SL; Korg D16XD, dbx 266XL, Mackie 1402 VLZ, Roland UA-700 interface, Audio Technica AT-4033SE, Rode NT1-A, Studio Projects B1/B3;  Yamaha NS-10M, Alesis M1 Active MkII

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #478 on: November 04, 2009, 10:10:26 AM »
Sorry if I didn't get back to you sooner, Alvin.

Anyway, from what I've been reading these past few days, you can make do with a 5400 rpm drive, it's just that your track counts may suffer a bit. If you are not doing a 100-track opus, then the 5400 drive will serve you well.

I have some concerns with using a usb2 drive for recording. One is that although it may have a faster data rate, remember that this is burst rate, not sustained data rate. This is where firewire beats that usb protocol. Another thing is that usb has a higher cpu polling rate than firewire, which could lead to potential dropouts during recording. I'd rather use usb drive as a backup media than a main recording drive.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline alvincflorentino

« Reply #479 on: November 04, 2009, 11:49:22 AM »
No need for apologies, bro. Anyway, your advise has been noted. But I will try the USB HD bit for recording and mixing--since I'm gonna buy an external drive for backup anyway--and inform you of any problems encountered. I've noticed that using my laptop (dual core, 2GB RAM, stock 5,400 rpm HD--really basic recording requirements) doesn't necessarily produce droptouts unless the background functions, ie. anti-virus updates, start running. In those instances, I just wait it out. Then again, my track counts and plug-in use are never really maxed out. 'til then then.
Korg Kronos, Korg PolySix, Roland Juno-106/SH-101; Fender '57 strat/'52 tele, Gibson LP SL; Korg D16XD, dbx 266XL, Mackie 1402 VLZ, Roland UA-700 interface, Audio Technica AT-4033SE, Rode NT1-A, Studio Projects B1/B3;  Yamaha NS-10M, Alesis M1 Active MkII

Offline kaishin_zurcs

« Reply #480 on: November 12, 2009, 02:00:58 PM »
nakita ko sa Jb music yung M-audio 2496 its like 7200 php. I am now in canada and i saw a music store here and it seems cheaper kasi 99 dollars (canadian) lng xa so parang 4500 siguro. Haii sayang medjo tight budget sana makabili ako. =)
My Faith Blog: Behind this Piercings and all :  http://jeremysauzacruz.blogspot.com/

Offline carl20

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #481 on: November 24, 2009, 01:44:58 PM »
sir KitC question po:

Im setting up a new cpu, what I have in mind is an MSI board with onboard firewire port for my presonus firepod and AMD II x4 processor 4gb of ram (upgradable up to 8gb) I'll be using an external drive for the audio files.

*what MSI board will you recommend?
*is AMD processors good for audio recording?
*is this set-up be fine?

thank you..
COMBOWORKS

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #482 on: November 24, 2009, 02:52:34 PM »
*what MSI board will you recommend?

If you want to use onboard firewire, Gigabyte usually uses TI firewire chips. Asus and MSI only use TI with their high end mobos.

*is AMD processors good for audio recording?

Normally, yes. I've previously used AMD for recording with no problems (my last AMD procie was an A64 3700+ San Diego). Unfortunately, I have no experience with the newer AM2+ or AM3 procs, but they should be ok.

Offline carl20

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #483 on: November 24, 2009, 03:03:22 PM »
thank you very much sir KitC..
COMBOWORKS

Offline Mr.Floyd

« Reply #484 on: December 02, 2009, 02:22:47 PM »
sir good pm.. pwede ko po bang itap ung drum module sa m-audio 2496 to record a drum track?and possible po ba if ever na kaya nyang tumunog ng maganda like cd quality?

here's my equipment plan.

mixer
m-audio 2496
alesis dm5 drum module.
2pc condenser overhead
1pc. snare mic             

possible po ba mkpgrecord ako ng drum track with those gears?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 02:25:33 PM by Mr.Floyd »
The more you dream the more you achieve

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #485 on: December 02, 2009, 02:27:39 PM »
sir good pm.. pwede ko po bang itap ung drum module sa m-audio 2496 to record a drum track?and possible po ba if ever na kaya nyang tumunog ng maganda like cd quality?

You can connect the alesis via midi to the 2496, but you will have to record it's audio via analog I/O.

Yes you can record to cd quality, but remember that it is still a drum module that uses samples. You need some expert programming in order to get it to sound like it was played by a good drummer.

Offline Mr.Floyd

« Reply #486 on: December 02, 2009, 06:12:25 PM »
You can connect the alesis via midi to the 2496, but you will have to record it's audio via analog I/O.

pano po procedure sir medyo di ko pa ma visualize kc..sensya napo sir ah first tym ko palang kase mgrerecord if ever..need more information pa po..hehe

Offline Mr.Floyd

« Reply #487 on: December 10, 2009, 04:50:28 PM »
sir kit question lang po.. if i'm already using a soundcard like line 6 ux2 and has a phantom power already.. do i still need a direct injection box for the mic?and also if i have a mixer do i still need it?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #488 on: December 11, 2009, 09:25:31 AM »
sir kit question lang po.. if i'm already using a soundcard like line 6 ux2 and has a phantom power already.. do i still need a direct injection box for the mic?and also if i have a mixer do i still need it?

No on the DI box. The mixer would be useful if you need more mic inputs than your ux2 can handle. If you don't need more than 2 mic preamps, then the mixer is superfluous. OTOH, since the ux2 is only capable of 2 simultaneous inputs, having a mixer around increases your total possible inputs, but it submixes them however.

Offline charles55

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #489 on: December 17, 2009, 05:13:02 PM »
Good afternoon sayo sir Kit. Naligaw ako dito sa MTPA at very informative ang threads.
Im a guitarist. I record my takes sa  LINE 6 Pod Studio GX.

gusto ko din sana magrecord ng Vocals.
isip ko sana kung pwede akong kumuha ng small mixer tapos connect ko sya sa Line 6 inteface?

possible kaya un sir?

eto ung illustration galing sa line6 pero parang di pwede ung mic since walang Phantom Power ung interface.

Thanks Sir. :-)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #490 on: December 17, 2009, 06:17:39 PM »
gusto ko din sana magrecord ng Vocals.
isip ko sana kung pwede akong kumuha ng small mixer tapos connect ko sya sa Line 6 inteface?

The GX has only 1 input and it seems to be mono only and the input impedance appears to be voiced for guitars; a mixer will simply overdrive that input. There is no point in getting a mixer for that interface, unless you upgrade to the UX1 or UX2. Mics like the SM58 are not exactly compatible because the input is an unbalanced 1/4" jack.

Offline charles55

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #491 on: December 18, 2009, 10:43:30 AM »
ah ok sir..im thinking of upgrading nlang ng interface.

may ma recommend kb na interface na multu purpose na din?
pang mic, guitara, or kung pwede ung drums na din.

isip ko sana ung Presonus Firebox or MAudio interfaces..
any recommendations sir? thanks  :-)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #492 on: December 18, 2009, 02:16:53 PM »
isip ko sana ung Presonus Firebox or MAudio interfaces..
any recommendations sir? thanks  :-)

Think about the number of inputs you will need. Drums need at least 3 mic inputs; an entire band setup needs at least 8 inputs. There are interfaces from Presonus and Maudio that fit that bill, and other interfaces from other manufacturers as well. Just make sure of possible compatibility issues with your pc (macs don't seem to have that problem... in general).

Offline blah

« Reply #493 on: December 24, 2009, 01:00:31 AM »
Hey i'm having trouble with recording.. i get probably a 5ms delay every time i record or at least monitor my guitar through my pc speakers.

its really annoying. i just wanna record simple tracks and nothing fancy -- at least for now. I don't know much so please be gentle.

I only use the mic in of my motherboards input and an adapter to plug my guitar. i run a win7 machine, core 2 duo, 2 gig ram, no soundcard and use acid pro 6 as my daw..

so whats up with the delay? dahil ba sa equip ko? do i really need to buy an ux-1 (or the like) just to avoid having this delay?
\"imitate, assimilate, and innovate.\"

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #494 on: December 24, 2009, 09:44:44 AM »
5ms is a very good figure and it is hardly noticeable. The problem arises if you can hear the delay, which is usually in the area of 15ms and above. It usually is better to get a soundcard for recording since these have monitoring features which allow zero delay making tracking an easier process.

Offline Mr.Floyd

« Reply #495 on: December 27, 2009, 10:38:36 PM »
sir another question..is it possible to record also drum tracks sa line 6 ux2 and an 8 input mixer?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #496 on: December 29, 2009, 09:48:43 AM »
sir another question..is it possible to record also drum tracks sa line 6 ux2 and an 8 input mixer?

yes, although you will be limited to recording stereo tracks of your drums only.

Offline kaishin_zurcs

« Reply #497 on: January 05, 2010, 05:53:29 PM »
Hi sir kit,

Again I need help. hehe :))

Sir I recently acquired an Maudio 2496 usb.
          It is working fine and I can hear my self when i tried to put a microphone but the problem is I cant use it for recording.

I am currently using Adobe audition and when I try to Arm a track for recording it seems that it wont recognize the audio interface for some reason.

Now I am now sure if its a compatibilty issue or do i have to disble my on board sound card first or what. Totally clueless :(

Thanks in advance sire kit :)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #498 on: January 06, 2010, 01:01:50 PM »
         I am currently using Adobe audition and when I try to Arm a track for recording it seems that it wont recognize the audio interface for some reason.

See if this will help: http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.faq&ID=e517a9188d14181b9369d9df8f8f899a

It may say Fast Track, but I'm sure the functionality is the same.

Offline redballs17

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #499 on: January 07, 2010, 11:27:21 AM »
Question lang mga sirs,

May nagbigay sakin ng old canton na speaker 100watts at 8ohms, pwede ko bang gamitin siya bilang monitor speaker lagay lang ako ng power amp at mixer?

any suggestion kung anong amp?

TIA  :-)