hulika

Author Topic: TULONG Po: WEAK BRIDGE-PICKUP OUTPUT compared to NECK-PKUP.  (Read 1980 times)

Offline dannygatton

• Veteran Member
TULONG Po: WEAK BRIDGE-PICKUP OUTPUT compared to NECK-PKUP.
« on: February 14, 2013, 01:20:43 PM »
Need your help GC community.  My Greco Les Paul, a sudden drop of volume level everytime I switch from neck pickup to bridgeup.  I adjusted the bridge pickup to bring it closer to the strings, still weaker volume compared to the neck output. Thanks in advance.

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: TULONG Po: WEAK BRIDGE-PICKUP OUTPUT compared to NECK-PKUP.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 01:22:04 PM »
How old is your greco guitar? If it is still stock, baka weak na yung magnet nyan kaya di na masyadong maka pickup ng vibration.
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline dannygatton

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 02:11:31 PM »
How old is your greco guitar? If it is still stock, baka weak na yung magnet nyan kaya di na masyadong maka pickup ng vibration.

mid-80s. I owned GRECO LPs from the same period-- stock pickups but have not experienced weakening of the magnet. anyway, how would one measure the strength of the magnet?  thanks.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 03:31:36 PM »
Danny,

I've experienced the same before on perfectly working pickups. Swapped out the stock pickups of a guitar with a pair of perfectly working Gibson Burstbucker Pros. Same findings, whenever I switched to the bridge pickup, the output was so weak. Not even pickup height can compensate.

I found out later on that the 3-way toggle switch was faulty. It looked and toggled fine, but in reality, it's the cause of the weak output. Swapped out the 3-way toggle switch with a new one and it did the trick. Worked perfectly again.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 04:13:34 PM by r_chino18 »

Offline superbuni123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 04:12:40 PM »
Danny,

I've experienced the same before on perfectly working pickups. Swapped out the stock pickups of a guitar with a pair of perfectly working Gibson Burstbucker Pros. Same findings, whenever I switched to the bridge pickup, the output was so weak. Not even pickup height can compensate.

I found out later on that the 3-way toggle switch was faulty. It looked and toggles fine, but in reality, it's the cause of the weak output. Swapped out the 3-way toggle switch to a new one and it did the trick. Worked perfectly again.

+1 Same thing happened to me.  ^-^

P.S. Both Chino and I have Greco LPs.  :-)
Learning to be a man without losing the boy in me...

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 04:14:33 PM »
+1 Same thing happened to me.  ^-^
P.S. Both Chino and I have Greco LPs.  :-)

:-)

It didn't happen to my Greco, though.. It was on a friend's Epiphone LP.. Haha.. I've long put a Switchcraft 3-way toggle on my Greco LP, never had any problems.  :-)

Offline prince22

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 04:21:28 PM »
Is that a Korean Greco? It's a problem with Korean switches. I've encountered it with 2 Epi LPs frome Korea and haven't had a problem with 4 of my late 70's Greco LPs

Offline ajgg235

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 04:54:42 PM »
Danny,

I found out later on that the 3-way toggle switch was faulty. It looked and toggled fine, but in reality, it's the cause of the weak output. Swapped out the 3-way toggle switch with a new one and it did the trick. Worked perfectly again.

:lol: yeah. +1
A Les Paul is Like potato chips, you can't just have one.

Offline superbuni123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 04:58:57 PM »
:-)
It didn't happen to my Greco, though.. It was on a friend's Epiphone LP.. Haha.. I've long put a Switchcraft 3-way toggle on my Greco LP, never had any problems.  :-)

Ah. I see.  :-D

I've long bypassed the 3-way toggle on mine, never had any problems since.  ^-^

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 05:03:06 PM »
:lol: yeah. +1

Kamusta LP mo AJ? Ayos pa rin hanggang ngayon?  :-)

Ah. I see.  :-D
I've long bypassed the 3-way toggle on mine, never had any problems since.  ^-^

:-o :-o

Both pickups always on? Isa kang legend. Haha!

Offline superbuni123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 05:26:58 PM »
Both pickups always on? Isa kang legend. Haha!

Bridge lang. Hehe

Offline dannygatton

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 05:35:33 PM »
 Maraming salamat, my deepest gratitude for all your expert advise. It could just be the switch ... my friends.

Offline ajgg235

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 06:00:13 PM »
Kamusta LP mo AJ? Ayos pa rin hanggang ngayon?  :-)

No problems naman! :-D
A Les Paul is Like potato chips, you can't just have one.

Offline straightwire

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 06:03:29 PM »
kung shielded yung guitar check ung mga wiring particularly ung 3 way toggle switch baka naskadikit ung terminal sa shield ,it happened to me before
Sound Box Band Rehearsal Studio
1411 Juan Luna St. Tondo,Manila
Tel no.  4041778 Cell no. 09275106260 www.facebook.com/soundboxbrstondo

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 06:14:53 PM »
Kudos for a helping thread!
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline fourstringwonder

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 06:26:06 PM »
If it's only a decrease in volume, it just that maybe the current flowing through the switch are diminished by a reduction in contact area resulting from mechanical stress (misalignment, chipping, etc) or rust. Use the following alternatives before replacing it with a new switch:
1. cleaning - use WD40 or contact cleaner to loosen and remove rust and make sure the contacts are aligned

2. check the pickup, especially the black vulcanized fiber - look for signs of water, the black fiberboard will suck and hold water longer especially if the coils are potted with wax. This may create shorts that reduce the magnet's power; inspect the copper eyelets (magnet wire terminals) also.

3. silver plate the contacts to widen/build-up the contact area - jewellers in the local palengke will accept the job for less than a hundred bucks; a silver plated contact will sometimes sound even better than a new switch!

4. check the circuit path of the bridge pickup (wires, solders joints, capacitor, if any) Rust under solder is a usual culprit to the symptoms you mentioned

5. Make sure that the pickup in question is really a bridge pickup - you might have had this guitar checked by an amateur tech and unknowingly switched the pickups. The Bridge and Neck pickups are not interchangeable, the bridge pups are normally stronger with bigger coils. If these are original OEM pups, you can verify their resistances using an ohmmeter and compare with standard values. Again, the bridge coil's resistance is bigger than that of the neck.

6. Everything else fails, replace the switch.

Goodluck.

Offline CeL1916

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 01:04:24 AM »
Danny,

This! ganyan din sakin.. toggle switch pala may problema!
PM Transaction References: Rmansh/Miong_Magno/Pentagram_x/Julandmic09/Vanhatred/Liway77/cyrus2477/jracz_28/ichigo02/
thenameisjm/teddy_munoz/Xelly/haha/ekoy08/kalel_23/sensei_24/lucky/drahcirnna24/r_chino/ilikecarrots

Offline accento24

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 04:12:25 PM »
This! ganyan din sakin.. toggle switch pala may problema!

me too! Greco LP user here...

Offline sonikyut

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2013, 10:43:19 AM »
may gitara akong ganyan din ang problema...baka nga sa switch din..thanks sa share
It's heavy metal fatigue.                                                                                                      Postlude.

"Biruin mo na ang lasing maging ang bagong gising, wag lang sa βading na inagawan ng booking"... - George Harrison