hulika

Author Topic: Congratulations to Master Perf endorsee of Dimarzio's Pickups  (Read 6632 times)

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Congratulations to Master Perf endorsee of Dimarzio's Pickups
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 05:39:20 PM »
niiiice!

Offline horge

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 05:58:57 PM »
'Grats!  :)

Offline opencoke

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 06:27:39 PM »
CONGRATS Master! hehehe
Paf joe, Evo2, Breeds... STEVE VAI <3

Offline musicdigitalsounds

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 06:57:39 PM »
 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Philmusicus Addictus / Lester William Polsfuss

Offline marcus_gloom

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 08:55:24 PM »
Boss Perf is really world class.

Offline Jaco D

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 09:22:38 PM »
'Grat, Bai!

Offline rmanala

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 09:23:36 PM »
Congrats! Sino kaya susunod na endorser?
HEAVY DAW ANG DATING?!MUKHA NAMAN MGA PRANING!.<fm>

Offline Van*

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 03:20:58 AM »
Very cool!
What you own, owns you.

Offline Igor

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 04:41:02 AM »
 :mrgreen:  Astig, Congrats Master Perf
Shot na!!!

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 08:29:05 AM »
Are we congratulating him because he gets FREE pickups or are we congratulating him for using an average sounding pickup brand?

Well, the truth is we are congratulating him for being the FIRST Filipino to get a DiMarzio endorsement.  So for that ... congrats.

Otherwise, there are much better sounding brands out there than DiMarzio.

Offline randymarsh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 08:46:42 AM »
Congrats Sir Perf!!!! Dapat matagal na to
nuno : n4 2.0 n4esa, n4vintage, n4 silver sparkle, n5, n6, n7, n8esa
etc : yjm, axis, jp6, jpxi, jp12, jp13, lp 58 vos, lp 57 ri, lp standard, lp trad, am strat, am tele deluxe, jem7v, uv777, rg prestige, j custom, deluxe reverb, vai legacy, jcm900, axefx

Offline red lights

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 08:49:32 AM »

pinoy pride!
Kahit na nasasaktan, Hindi pa rin mahindian

Offline inexperience

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 09:46:27 AM »
Just wow, and andami nyang pups'
"creeping deeaath"

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 09:59:55 AM »
Congratulations! The FIRST! :razz:
"Check out how Eddie Van Halen doesn’t pick his fast notes with all the same boring velocity. He makes most of his fast licks almost funky by picking some notes harder than others." - Jason Becker

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 11:00:02 PM »
Are we congratulating him because he gets FREE pickups or are we congratulating him for using an average sounding pickup brand?

Well, the truth is we are congratulating him for being the FIRST Filipino to get a DiMarzio endorsement.  So for that ... congrats.

Otherwise, there are much better sounding brands out there than DiMarzio.

Bro in fairness, Dimarzio stepped up their game in the vintage sound department.  Virtual PAFs and the other new PAF models were surprisingly acceptable to a lot of tone snobs. 

Will Dimarzio be like Tom Holmes, Throbak, or BKP? Of course not.  But have they improved since the '80s?  A lot.

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 11:23:10 PM »
The True Velvets, Twang Kings, and Pre B1s are pretty good.  You just have to match with the right guitar :)

Bro in fairness, Dimarzio stepped up their game in the vintage sound department.  Virtual PAFs and the other new PAF models were surprisingly acceptable to a lot of tone snobs. 

Will Dimarzio be like Tom Holmes, Throbak, or BKP? Of course not.  But have they improved since the '80s?  A lot.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2015, 12:07:35 AM »

Nice to hear from you skunky... As much as there are some improvements to DiMarzio, I even gave their Chris Broderick pickups a chance which I thought were a huge improvement but off they went and fell short of Bareknuckles by far.

With regards to PAFs, and now that I have a great sounding set of REAL PAFs, DiMarzio improvements are way way way behind on their PAF series in comparison to the real ones.

And as DiMarzio improved, so did the boutique guys.  Currently, the BEST PAF recreation to date in my opinion of a great sounding PAF is Stephens Designs HD PAF set.  Hands Down. Quite Close.

I am beyond tone snob... I am for what works and sounds great.  Again, DiMarzio I feel are average -- a minimum standard on your guitar.  Anything less is bad; and anything more ranges from a subtle improvement to the Holy Grail of pickups.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2015, 12:09:56 AM »
The True Velvets, Twang Kings, and Pre B1s are pretty good.  You just have to match with the right guitar :)

Quite True.  How about pickups that seem to match every guitar and carries each guitar to a level of tone never before imagined?  These pickups exist but they are NOT DiMarzios.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2015, 06:59:17 AM »
I would just like to seek clarification on my position -- I do recognize Larry DiMarzio as an innovator and the company started the after market thing along with Mighty Mite, etc.  If it were not for DiMarzio, we would be stuck with substandard parts on both higher priced and lower priced guitars.  Plus, we can attribute the 'hot' output pickups that characterized some classic rock and a lot of 80s metal to his innovation.

But... DiMarzio somewhere down the line, stopped being a custom shop of sound innovation and became more like the Toyota of guitar pickups.  Not a bad thing specially considering, DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan are EXPECTED minimums in today's USA and European made guitars.  However, on every model they offer, there is a boutique manufacturer that outdoes them by a MILE!  This is very obvious in a 'boutique' signal chain.  In fact, the pickups become the limiting factor and ARE the reason that makes your uber expensive guitar sound bad.  That being said; if you use multi-fx and are not too particular with your sound; DiMarzios are the way to go.

At the end of the day, when you buy into the brand and the list of endorsers, selecting the cool color combinations, looking into a pickup that looks like everything else except that the pole screws use allen wrenches -- all these factors are easily tiring until the next year with Mr. endorser produces the fifth variant of his pickup.  Its like trying to keep up with the Joneses.  Its only the sound and response that remains after the marketing hype.  And I can tell you that DiMarzio pickups do NOT do it for me.

P.S. Just my two cents... I used to love DiMarzios and owned countless  models and even today a lot of guitars that I buy come with DiMarzios BUT when the boutique pickups arrived (though there are some bad ones too that sound bad compared to DiMarzios) my sound became richer, more defined, bigger and thicker, without any harshness.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 07:12:08 AM by firemodel55 »

Offline randymarsh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2015, 08:01:22 AM »
I do not care if DiMarzio is the best or worst sounding aftermarket pickup. Personally, the only DiMarzio pickup that I really liked is the Twang King. Every other DiMarzio model is either too harsh or too nasal sounding. To me, DiMarzio is more of a shredder's pickup (I do not mean it in a bad way). 

I'm just happy for Sir Perf for the recognition that is long due. Siguradong marami dito sa PM ang naimpluensiyan na mag-aral maggitara during the early 90s dahil sa kanya (along with Paul Sapiera, another DiMarzio user and awesome player). 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 08:03:48 AM by randymarsh »
nuno : n4 2.0 n4esa, n4vintage, n4 silver sparkle, n5, n6, n7, n8esa
etc : yjm, axis, jp6, jpxi, jp12, jp13, lp 58 vos, lp 57 ri, lp standard, lp trad, am strat, am tele deluxe, jem7v, uv777, rg prestige, j custom, deluxe reverb, vai legacy, jcm900, axefx

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2015, 08:42:30 AM »
I do not care if DiMarzio is the best or worst sounding aftermarket pickup. Personally, the only DiMarzio pickup that I really liked is the Twang King. Every other DiMarzio model is either too harsh or too nasal sounding. To me, DiMarzio is more of a shredder's pickup (I do not mean it in a bad way). 

I'm just happy for Sir Perf for the recognition that is long due. Siguradong marami dito sa PM ang naimpluensiyan na mag-aral maggitara during the early 90s dahil sa kanya (along with Paul Sapiera, another DiMarzio user and awesome player).

Is this not what we're supposed to be discussing here?
"Check out how Eddie Van Halen doesn’t pick his fast notes with all the same boring velocity. He makes most of his fast licks almost funky by picking some notes harder than others." - Jason Becker

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2015, 10:13:23 AM »
Haha oo nga.  Alex, just start a new thread comparing pickups I suppose.  That would be an interesting topic too.

For me, bottonline, and for the price, I think DiMarzio's do the job fine.

Is this not what we're supposed to be discussing here?

Offline Ben Tsing Co

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2015, 01:28:13 PM »
Congratulations Sir Perf DeMaestro DeMarzio!!!  :mrgreen:
“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2015, 04:33:26 PM »
Haha oo nga.  Alex, just start a new thread comparing pickups I suppose.  That would be an interesting topic too.

For me, bottonline, and for the price, I think DiMarzio's do the job fine.

Sorry... I just dislike DiMarzios so much because there are really much better products out there that deliver.  That being said it is an achievement for somebody to be officially in the DiMarzio catalog.