hulika

Author Topic: Why I feel local and Asian Pickups don't deserve your attention  (Read 43275 times)

Offline Kulas

Re: Why I feel local and Asian Pickups don't deserve your attention
« Reply #250 on: February 23, 2013, 07:31:20 AM »
tried out a few strats in perfect pitch last night. they had in stock 3 models, non-MIA, hehe. first model was the classic 50's MIM strat, it's the more premium model from the MIM line. the pickups are vintage-style alnico pickups. they sounded good, much like what i would typically expect from a strat.

next, i tried a MIM standard with standard single coil pickups. it was louder than the vintage-style alnico pickups pero, as one forumer stated, tunog utot, haha! wala yung single coil character na hanap ko. sa totoo lang, i couldn't stand playing it, hehe. even the 2 & 4 positions sucked, hehe.

then last, out of frustration, i tried a squier classic vibe strat with duncan designed pickups. to my surprise, they sounded better than the MIM standard, hehe. and the squier was half the price of the MIM standard.

i used the same amp the whole time, same settings and volume.

Offline starkiller

« Reply #251 on: February 23, 2013, 03:38:51 PM »
^^

if i recall correctly, the classic vibe series uses tonerider pickups.  its the vintage modified series that uses duncan designed.

if what you tesed was the vintage modified, then the higher tier classic vibes should sound even better.

Offline rtf_axeman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #252 on: February 24, 2013, 09:23:06 AM »
will use Ken Armstrong Hand-wired pickups on my Gilead build.

http://www.kentarmstrong.sk/#

Offline jepbueno

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #253 on: March 22, 2013, 01:43:18 PM »
I just want to share my not-so-extensive-and-average-guitarist experience with both asian and U.S. pickups on this topic even though I virtually don't know anything about the process or materials in making a guitar pickup. I have 3 electric guitars and have used 4 kinds of pickups. 3 of them are stock pickups and 1 after market Seymour Duncan SH-4. My guitars/pickups may be not worth mentioning for some but for me they are:

1) Raon guitar with Generic Raon pickups, made of $%#& wood (LP shape). The owner of a local recording studio in our neighborhood back then described the pickups as "fake humbuckers" because apparently inside the pickup cover is just a single coil and the cover was attached to make it look like a covered humbucker. It was "okay" for me. Namimili siya ng amp. Minsan maganda minsan hindi, but I get by with some amp simulation sa zoom g1x ko noon. At pag heavy distorted ang gusto mong tone maingay at mafeedback, hindi ko magamit. My main problem during this time was feedback, I even tried putting foams inside the cavities of the guitar. From clean to crunchy medyo maganda na. I played mostly RHCP and to my ears I can get it with the right amp. (Of course not really nail it we all know that's difficult not to mention possibly impossible, but nakakaenjoy naman pakinggan hindi yung tatamarin ka nang maggitara kasi ampanget talaga)

2)Same Raon guitar with SH-4 pickups. It was really an improvement. Like someone said here, somehow "it gave life to a lifeless guitar". The feedback problem was dealt with and I can use much more distorted settings. (This time I don't use multieffects anymore with amp modelling, just a dirt pedal)

3)Greco EG700, 1978. After my raon guitar was rendered useless, (not the electronics, the guitar itself because it was really made of $^&* wood), I acquired this Greco guitar with its stock pickups (U2000. I think it is right to assume that this is also MIJ same with the guitar, hence asian.). I originally planned immediately replacing the stock pickups with the SH-4. But after asking advices from some people, I decided leave it as is. I was beginning to play blues at this time and until now (it's been 2 years) I really like what I'm getting out of this guitar with all stock electronics. The SH-4 was really good even though I've used it with an averagely crappy guitar. I'm not planning to replace this guitar's stock pickups simply because I like how I sound with this and it's great for what I use it for.

4)Yamaha SG-200 with stock pickups (Either Made in Korea, China, or Taiwan I forgot, but it's just either of the those 3). This guitar sounds brighter than the greco but warmer than the raon made. Even though the pickups are humbuckers, (I've read in some sites that some people swear to only use single coils for funk, esp. rhcp style, because we all know it, from hillel to josh, they all mainly use strats) I feel good using this guitar for funk because of how it sounds and because of the feel of its neck. Mas nakakapagexperiment rin ako dito kesa sa greco LP ko parang dedicated lang ang sound niya.

Sorry if I'm off topic, napa-share lang haha. One should not base their option on the makers alone. Dapat ma-consider din ang guitar na paggagamitan at kung swak sa gusto mong makuha. Baka naman hindi pickup ang problema.

Bottom line of my lengthy narrative is that my asian pickups deserve more than my attention.

Palagay ko sa ibang MIM guitars sinasadya na mas mababa ang quality ng pickups kesa sa "higher end" models (Marketing strategy maybe?) but if it gets the sound in your head then why not. Maybe I'll try Mang Max's pickups when I make my project guitar. :)

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #254 on: March 23, 2013, 07:22:08 AM »
I just want to share my not-so-extensive-and-average-guitarist experience with both asian and U.S. pickups on this topic even though I virtually don't know anything about the process or materials in making a guitar pickup. I have 3 electric guitars and have used 4 kinds of pickups. 3 of them are stock pickups and 1 after market Seymour Duncan SH-4. My guitars/pickups may be not worth mentioning for some but for me they are:

1) Raon guitar with Generic Raon pickups, made of $%#& wood (LP shape). The owner of a local recording studio in our neighborhood back then described the pickups as "fake humbuckers" because apparently inside the pickup cover is just a single coil and the cover was attached to make it look like a covered humbucker. It was "okay" for me. Namimili siya ng amp. Minsan maganda minsan hindi, but I get by with some amp simulation sa zoom g1x ko noon. At pag heavy distorted ang gusto mong tone maingay at mafeedback, hindi ko magamit. My main problem during this time was feedback, I even tried putting foams inside the cavities of the guitar. From clean to crunchy medyo maganda na. I played mostly RHCP and to my ears I can get it with the right amp. (Of course not really nail it we all know that's difficult not to mention possibly impossible, but nakakaenjoy naman pakinggan hindi yung tatamarin ka nang maggitara kasi ampanget talaga)

2)Same Raon guitar with SH-4 pickups. It was really an improvement. Like someone said here, somehow "it gave life to a lifeless guitar". The feedback problem was dealt with and I can use much more distorted settings. (This time I don't use multieffects anymore with amp modelling, just a dirt pedal)

3)Greco EG700, 1978. After my raon guitar was rendered useless, (not the electronics, the guitar itself because it was really made of $^&* wood), I acquired this Greco guitar with its stock pickups (U2000. I think it is right to assume that this is also MIJ same with the guitar, hence asian.). I originally planned immediately replacing the stock pickups with the SH-4. But after asking advices from some people, I decided leave it as is. I was beginning to play blues at this time and until now (it's been 2 years) I really like what I'm getting out of this guitar with all stock electronics. The SH-4 was really good even though I've used it with an averagely crappy guitar. I'm not planning to replace this guitar's stock pickups simply because I like how I sound with this and it's great for what I use it for.

4)Yamaha SG-200 with stock pickups (Either Made in Korea, China, or Taiwan I forgot, but it's just either of the those 3). This guitar sounds brighter than the greco but warmer than the raon made. Even though the pickups are humbuckers, (I've read in some sites that some people swear to only use single coils for funk, esp. rhcp style, because we all know it, from hillel to josh, they all mainly use strats) I feel good using this guitar for funk because of how it sounds and because of the feel of its neck. Mas nakakapagexperiment rin ako dito kesa sa greco LP ko parang dedicated lang ang sound niya.

Sorry if I'm off topic, napa-share lang haha. One should not base their option on the makers alone. Dapat ma-consider din ang guitar na paggagamitan at kung swak sa gusto mong makuha. Baka naman hindi pickup ang problema.

Bottom line of my lengthy narrative is that my asian pickups deserve more than my attention.

Palagay ko sa ibang MIM guitars sinasadya na mas mababa ang quality ng pickups kesa sa "higher end" models (Marketing strategy maybe?) but if it gets the sound in your head then why not. Maybe I'll try Mang Max's pickups when I make my project guitar. :)

When I started this thread to give an opinon, I had used guitars with great sounding wood.  So, consider my pickup opinion as that being a given.  To test, you can try asking mang max to copy a gibson classic 57, which is a mundane average standard, and check out if his copy sounds like it.

Offline jepbueno

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #255 on: March 24, 2013, 12:09:51 AM »
When I started this thread to give an opinon, I had used guitars with great sounding wood.  So, consider my pickup opinion as that being a given.  To test, you can try asking mang max to copy a gibson classic 57, which is a mundane average standard, and check out if his copy sounds like it.

Well I have also used guitars with great sounding wood (Made in US, Asia, Mexico). But what I've only shared are the ones that I've owned. I'm not gonna argue here on which is the best. I just wanted to say that the asian pickups that I've used, even though stock ones, are "attention-deserving" pickups.

I think for those planning to buy a decent asian guitar, they are worth a try especially for those who's on a tight budget and simply can't afford immediately upgrading for the best pickups he/she has heard of.

:-D

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #256 on: March 24, 2013, 04:44:41 AM »
Well I have also used guitars with great sounding wood (Made in US, Asia, Mexico). But what I've only shared are the ones that I've owned. I'm not gonna argue here on which is the best. I just wanted to say that the asian pickups that I've used, even though stock ones, are "attention-deserving" pickups.

I think for those planning to buy a decent asian guitar, they are worth a try especially for those who's on a tight budget and simply can't afford immediately upgrading for the best pickups he/she has heard of.

:-D

Good for you then.  I strongly suggest you try the more expensive pickups on guitars that truly deserve it.  Based on my observation, kulang ka pa sa exposure sa magagandang pickups.  Just my two cents.  Siguro when you upgrade to better guitars when the opportunity and income presents itself. 

Offline jepbueno

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #257 on: March 25, 2013, 08:58:31 AM »
Good for you then.  I strongly suggest you try the more expensive pickups on guitars that truly deserve it.  Based on my observation, kulang ka pa sa exposure sa magagandang pickups.  Just my two cents.  Siguro when you upgrade to better guitars when the opportunity and income presents itself.

Oo sir. I would certainly do that. hehe. Actually yung 57 nga ang pickups ng LP replica ko before ko siya bilhin, binalik ng dating owner yung stock pickups nung binili ko na. haha guess that says a lot na hindi niya yun pinakawalan. thanks!

Offline magtataho7

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #258 on: September 30, 2014, 02:23:49 PM »
Permiso lang sa pagnecro ng thread.

...uuups. :)

Curious lang ako kung meron nang improvements sa local/Asian manufacturing methods ngayon.
BLAH

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #259 on: September 30, 2014, 03:25:00 PM »
^what's the problem necroing a relevant and informative (not debatable :lol:) thread?

anyway, pickups - to me - are significant tone changers next to strings. im interested in hearing from those who have installed Mang Max's noiseless single coils. IME some guitars ive tested fitted with SDs and Dimarzios did not floor me, on the amps na ginamit ko, at least. not that im expecting those to floor me anyway. nabitin lang siguro ako sa narinig ko. also played some chinese cheapies and liked some of them. so... :shrug:

pickup manufacturing methods will and have improved pa lalo over time. im curious.

Offline ejecruz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #260 on: September 30, 2014, 05:28:20 PM »
Love to hear Mr. Alex's response if he finds improvement to local/Asian pick-ups nowadays..
Joshua 1:8

Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #261 on: September 30, 2014, 07:08:56 PM »
An interesting video to watch, after reading the gear/hands tone debate in the previous posts:

All in the hands?
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #262 on: September 30, 2014, 07:28:51 PM »
For non-traditional design, Joel's Neo pickups started shipping a few months ago to foreign guitar builders.

http://www.cycfi.com/

« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 09:06:32 PM by royc »

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #263 on: September 30, 2014, 07:49:37 PM »
^^i opine mas makikita ang difference sa tone isa ibang styles of music and less on "metal" music.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 08:32:57 PM by analog.matt »

Offline nicoyow

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #264 on: October 01, 2014, 10:24:32 PM »
all i can say is....

WALA YAN SA PANA, NASA INDIAN YAN!

:LOL:
Sa pinipig, bukod sa pwede mo singhutin, pwede mo rin tikman.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #265 on: October 02, 2014, 09:46:44 PM »
all i can say is....

WALA YAN SA PANA, NASA INDIAN YAN!

:LOL:

KASO ANG INDIAN NAMIMILI RIN NG PANA

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #266 on: October 02, 2014, 09:50:48 PM »
Love to hear Mr. Alex's response if he finds improvement to local/Asian pick-ups nowadays..

Naku... controversy.  Quite the opposite, its still American Pickups that occupy my time.

My beef with the local builders (still):

1. They don't know what good pickups sound like
2. They don't themselves own good sounding pickups
3. They don't own great sounding tube amps that define what pickups should sound like

That being said, I am waiting for my Stephen's Designs PAF HD to finish its break in period.  At around US$800 a pair, I feel its beats Tom Holmes by a wide margin and its really close to my great sounding PAFs.  So far, I can say its worth the dough.

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #267 on: October 03, 2014, 08:20:58 AM »

My beef with the local builders (still):

2. They don't themselves own good sounding pickups
3. They don't own great sounding tube amps that define what pickups should sound like

i'd have to agree with this one. part na yan ng study --- "what is my pickups worth in the hands of real professionals / players?"

if someone with, say a 60s guitar, that's plugged to a sweet sounding dumble, appreciate it? something like that. pero siguro may market din yun but not as big or wide as others

Offline alvinratsim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #268 on: October 03, 2014, 09:33:25 AM »
Can u name a few?
"If you want to play like the big boys, you've got to play what the big boys play"

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #269 on: October 03, 2014, 12:59:01 PM »
Just a point of clarification:

1. If your current pickup is busted, and your budget can only afford you local or Asian Pickups; to get that guitar in working condition - go ahead and buy those pickups. 
2. If your current pickups are local or Asian; AND if you have some extra money but not enough to buy a new guitar - go ahead try Seymour Duncan, EMG, DiMarzios and enjoy the various flavors.
3. If your current pickups are Seymour Duncan, EMG, DiMarzio AND you have extra income AND feel that you have a guitar with HIYAW - go ahead try boutique pickups with my personal favorites being Bareknuckles (I still hold the distinction of being the first Filipino to ever use Bareknuckle), Jim Rolphs (I think am still the First Filipino to order from Jim), Stephens Design  (come to think of it also the first Filipino to order from Dave Stephens) for humbuckers.  Ron Ellis and Don Mare for Single Coils.  Kinman for noiseless single coils (I also hold the distinction of being the first Filipino to ever order Kinman -- ask Chris Kinman). 
4. If you have a really specially EXCEPTIONAL guitar AND chance upon a great sounding set of PAFs AND are really guitar crazy AND have the equipment to appreciate such AND are as skeptical about pickups as I am AND love distortion and overdrive, go get a great set of PAFs.

But seriously, over time it really becomes frustrating changing and upgrading pickups.  Parang it feels like you are trying to keep up with the Joneses. Sometimes some pickup upgrades are not really that big a deal and sometimes it can sound worse because it did not match a guitar.  BUT -- the big BUTT I can assure you is that if I compared my pickups now with what I was using ten years ago -- DiMarzio, Duncans and EMGs -- I am confident to say that my pickups NOW are so much better sounding and performing by a large margin.  And here is the irony --- a specific PAF set made in 1959 still rules them all.  heh heh.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 01:01:17 PM by firemodel55 »

Offline queer_rocker

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #270 on: October 03, 2014, 01:15:13 PM »
KASO ANG INDIAN NAMIMILI RIN NG PANA

kaso yung papanain nya hinde nya naman kayang tamaan...parang sa gig not everybody can appreciate or please the sound coming right out from the guitar (esp pickup)

btw alex what can you say about the creamy pickups plan to purchase one for my tele?
dude, there is a difference between having fun and just being a troll.
weh di nga?

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #271 on: October 03, 2014, 02:06:29 PM »
But seriously, over time it really becomes frustrating changing and upgrading pickups.  Parang it feels like you are trying to keep up with the Joneses. Sometimes some pickup upgrades are not really that big a deal and sometimes it can sound worse because it did not match a guitar.  BUT -- the big BUTT I can assure you is that if I compared my pickups now with what I was using ten years ago -- DiMarzio, Duncans and EMGs -- I am confident to say that my pickups NOW are so much better sounding and performing by a large margin.  And here is the irony --- a specific PAF set made in 1959 still rules them all.  heh heh.

For the red statement, I completely agree. Pickups will definitely change the sound (plugged), but it's not always considered an upgrade.

Interesting last sentence sir. When you said that "a specific PAF set made in 1959 still rules them all", are you talking about all pickups you've tried in general (low output, medium, high output, single coils, p90s, etc)?

Or just the 59 PAFs versus other PAF copies?

Offline magtataho7

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #272 on: October 03, 2014, 02:55:35 PM »
parang sa gig not everybody can appreciate or please the sound coming right out from the guitar (esp pickup)

hindi mapapansin ng iba yung tunog mo, pero mapapansin nila yung sarap na nararamdaman mo. hehehe

BTT: so ibig sabihin, may mga "tier" ang quality ng pickups? as fm55 said
BLAH

Offline jepbueno

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #273 on: October 03, 2014, 03:39:26 PM »
para sakin ang mga brand na yan, pag nandun ka na or tumawid ka na sa level ng decent/reliable brands, it's a matter of taste na lang.

well unless of course na music for you is "objective".

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #274 on: October 03, 2014, 10:46:53 PM »
para sakin ang mga brand na yan, pag nandun ka na or tumawid ka na sa level ng decent/reliable brands, it's a matter of taste na lang.

well unless of course na music for you is "objective".

Not really, the NEW decent for me is boutique.  I tried going back to Duncans, DiMarzios and EMGs.  Wala.  I get so irritated with their poor performance that I had to upgrade to bareknuckles.