hulika

Author Topic: Kublai's  (Read 9710 times)

Offline 1st-profile

Kublai's
« on: August 02, 2006, 02:23:34 PM »
Kublai's in Katipunan will again feature The Jazz Visitors with Raymund dela Pena on guitar and other jammers. Tomorrow night, Thursday, Aug. 3. P100 at the gate includes one beer. See you!

Offline 1st-profile

Kublai's
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 02:25:18 PM »
up lang po!

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Kublai's
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 03:33:51 PM »
Great, I'll try to stop by if you let me jam :)

Offline 1st-profile

Kublai's
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 05:19:29 PM »
Great honor sir!  :wink:

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Kublai's
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 10:51:39 AM »
Sheesh! I missed it! Next week maybe?

Offline 1st-profile

Kublai's
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 04:41:35 PM »
Definitely... !

Offline 1st-profile

Kublai's
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 11:39:36 PM »
Hey guys, just wanna let you know that The Jazz Visitors' Kublai's gig this Thursday, August 10, 2006 will not only feature Raymund dela Pena on guitar but Jerry de Leon, as well, on bass. (Elise Eclar on vocals and Gary Garcia on the drums.) Jam with us! We want you!
Last week we had Lirag for two sets and it was fun watching these young people play their original music mixed with select cover tunes. They are an alternative band. But I think I already said before that jammers do not have to play or sing jazz.
Anyways, if you're a jazz afficionado or a jazz musician, and you don't live that far from Katipunan area (some who come live as far as Paranaque  :) ) jam naman kayo o...we would like to hear your music.
And as always, thanks to all our friends and co-musicians who support us. Long live jazz...
 8)

Offline 1st-profile

Kublai's
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 03:27:01 PM »
Thursday na bukas...punta kayo peeps! Para masaya...

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Kublai's
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 02:38:38 AM »
MAN, Jeri de Leon on bass is a bass god!!! People, you should check him out playing "Donna Lee" on bass - Jacong Jaco (on a fretted bass though)!!

Well I managed to drop by and jam(on drums)  and met 1st-profile (aka Elise).  I think I screwed up though when they played "Bright Size Life" (the classic Metheny-Pastorious-Bob Moses tune)... having some familiarity with the tune but I never played it before! Well I was rusty but its all good. Anyway, it was a good jam nonetheless - wish there were more people in the place though apart from the 2 tables I saw. You jammers should check it out, the place is big and roomy (well compared to places like freedom bar and magnet) and the drum kit and amps arent bad. The kit was a deccently tuned pearl with newish sabians. And beer is cheap! Hey maybe we can make this an EB place, it looks huge.

Hope to drop by next week. Hey Deacon, Boddhisatva, 3650guy, psychic sushi,  drop by and bring a sax player or keyboardist with ya!

Offline 1st-profile

Kublai's
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 02:49:31 AM »
thnaks for the jam and nice meeting the man behind the forum... :wink:

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Kublai's
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 02:54:38 AM »
Elise - dump the standards! Sing Flora Purim's "Open Your Eyes, You Can Fly" !!  8)

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
Kublai's
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 07:48:34 AM »
If the recommendation is coming from Pinoymusika, then I'll be there...
Give it all you\'ve got, but slowly - Chuck Mangione

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
Kublai's
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 07:04:41 PM »
Quote from: pinoymusika
Elise - dump the standards! Sing Flora Purim's "Open Your Eyes, You Can Fly" !!  8)

Yeah, this one!

The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
Kublai's
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2006, 07:39:34 PM »
Hey, 'Bright Size Life!'

Sounds like someone had fun ..  :)

I've heard a lot of good things about Jeri de Leon but haven't seen him play live. I guess now's a good time.

Who was on guitar? Was it the guy who looks like Miles, plays guitar like Wes and sings like Nat King Cole?

I'm not sure about being able to join in since I work late .. Sounds promising though.
"No static at all ..."

Offline 1st-profile

Kublai's
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2006, 11:56:19 AM »
if i provide a cdr, would i get a copy of purim's?  :roll:
jim, i cannot just drop the years of romance with the jazz standards but i could add selections to my repertoire. i am a big band era fan. it's good that the band has different specialties in jazz music.
on another note, went to U.P. jazznite (fridays) and had a blast. jun cadiz on piano (professor at the U.P. college of music - jazz improvisation) and joe corbita on bass were on their best elements. hopefully we could get the guys there visit us at kublai.  :)

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Kublai's
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2006, 12:58:38 AM »
First time I saw Jeri (I believe this is the correct spelling? not Gerry? ) De Leon was back in those Roxbury jam days in Pasay Road.He had just come back from Bangkok and was burning on those jams (including the obligatory funk jam "The Chicken" ni Pastorius). I've also seen him play with Bob Aves' band backing up Grace Nono and I also hear he's a sub for Simon Tan in Affinity when Simon can't make it. Anyone who warms up by playing Donna Lee has got chops in spades!

As posted by Elise, the guitar player is Raymund dela Pena. Haven't seen or heard him before, but he's pretty good in a Barney Kessel/Joe Pass sort of way (that round hollow bodied jazz sound). He's paid his dues with Mulatto and True Faith and spent some time on a Norweigan cruise ship where he claims to have played with Miroslav Vitous!

Listening to the two guys talk about jazz voicings over beer is an education in itself...

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Kublai's
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2006, 01:05:36 AM »
Quote from: 1st-profile
if i provide a cdr, would i get a copy of purim's?  :roll:

I had that on Vinyl years ago - I'll look for an mp3 copy online. It's an Alphonso Johnson (bass) composition I believe, so your bassist's thumbs will get a real work out. Very aggressive brazillian funk-jazz (well by nature of the players on the original session). I've heard a few good covers of this tune over the years. I think if Sitti tried that she'd faint, haha.

Offline 1st-profile

Kublai's
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2006, 06:22:25 PM »
tomorrow is thursday again - what to do? grab your gears and head to kublai. hmm, hardsell?
ok, eto na lang...
jam and there's nothing to lose. you've got a lot to learn and then some....
if we get a better attendance, first beer on me pinoymusika! deal. really.
 :)

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Kublai's
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2006, 11:19:37 PM »
Whooops can't make it this week 1st-profile! 730am meeting bright n' early in Makati the next morning. (as always, istorbo ang trabaho sa jamming, boo hoo hoo...)  :roll:

Chito

Kublai's
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2006, 12:26:41 AM »
Quote from: pinoymusika
I've also seen him play with Bob Aves' band backing up Grace Nono and I also hear he's a sub for Simon Tan in Affinity when Simon can't make it

pinoymusika, any news on Grace? Is she still singing? I know her from a long time back...

Offline 1st-profile

Kublai's
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2006, 02:47:23 AM »
That's okay. We had only two jammers tonight, the rest were just listeners. We had an attorney sing standard jazz East of the Sun and another song; and a drummer who's a cousin of Jeri, Macoy formerly of AMO Band. Thanks for those who were able to make it.
PinMus, we'll see you next week maybe. Hope the work doesn't get in the way again. Wonder if the jam at Mag-Net was more attended than ours? As I said on the other thread, the more the merrier. Long live jazz!

Offline 1st-profile

Kublai's
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2006, 01:36:35 AM »
Uy, Thursday na naman uli...anong ibig sabihin non? Kublai po sana bumisita kayo. Baka kayo na lang ang di pa nakakapunta. Sayang naman. Pa'no kung wala na kaming gig? Wag naman sana... :shock:

Offline 1st-profile

Kublai's
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2006, 03:42:50 AM »
Aba, Thursday na naman uli! Ang bilis ano! Kitakits... :wink:

Offline jazhombie

Kublai's
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2006, 02:01:58 PM »
sir ano po b usually ang piece for jamming here, never p po ako nkatry makijam sa ture jazz improvisers

Offline 1st-profile

Kublai's
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2006, 03:39:34 PM »
I think it's much better kung we do this the other way around, you tell us what you know. Kahit simple lang. A jam is a jam and there are no expectations.  The objective is for you to enjoy and come out of your shell. :)