hulika

Author Topic: MONKS'HOOD - Bad Condoms & Foul Smelling Sperms EP  (Read 969 times)

Offline jeyvi

• Veteran Member
MONKS'HOOD - Bad Condoms & Foul Smelling Sperms EP
« on: May 09, 2007, 07:39:23 AM »
Category: Music
Genre:  Rock
Artist: MONKS'HOOD
Artist : Monks’hood
Album : Bad Condoms and Foul Smelling Sperms
Release Date : 2005
Reviewer : Azriel of REDHORSEBEER.COM

I first heard of this band from the guitarist/vocalist Jeyvi Castillo – a registered member of this site’s Moshpit (nickname: jeyvi). He promoted his band by posting their websites’ URL in some threads (somewhere within the site. Hehe). At first, I wasn’t able able to pay attention because my internet surfing time was somewhat limited but when I had the chance, I listened to their demo in their Tekarats site – it was entitled That’s What She Said (I think… couldn’t check tekarats, it was down as of this writing). From what I could hear, I liked the band already. Their riffs are good, the beat is catchy – the totality, awesome. However, one demo was not enough and if my guess is right, the demo was just a clip.

Time went by and I got the chance to chat with Jeyvi for what seemed like eternity (three hours, I think) through YM. He posted the URL for Monks’hood account on MySpace and it was there that I heard their songs. Thus begins the real album review.

MySpace allows its users to upload four songs but I was able to listen to six songs (Arigatou, Jeyvi-san!) namely Ulan, Cry for Freedom, Sabik, Oye, TTAnne, and Forever Yesterday. However, I’ll limit my review to the four songs I really liked.

The first track I listened to was Ulan. The title clicked so well with the song. Listening to the track made me feel as if notes were pouring down on me like drops of rain – the strong pouring kinda rain. And not a note seemed out of place. (believe me, this is a compliment coming from a choir kid!) The guitar riffs drowned me, enclosed my whole being and made me implode. It was an intense track and Jeyvi’s “monstrous voice” (hehe, inside joke, ayt Jeyvi!) was apt for the song.

Sabik seemed a prelude to another song, TTAnne and I quote the lyrics: masaya ang buhay kung kasama ka / kumpleto ang araw kung nandito ka / kailan mahahawakan ang iyong kamay / isisigaw na mahal kita / ngunit kailan kaya kita makikita

TTAnne on the other hand, was a track about a girl the band hates/hated (what’s the correct tense, guys?) and the abhorrence was bared in it. One could feel the animosity the band felt toward the girl who was the subject of the song. Naubos oras ko / nasirang araw ko / gusto man kitang makita / di ka pwede ayaw mo lang pala

Hmmm… can you guys see the point? Sabik was the song of wanting to see the beloved and TTAnne was the song on betrayal. Hehe. Nice one! =)

And the last song I would mention is Forever Yesterday – the saddest song I’ve heard lately. Frankly I was moved to tears when I was listening intently to it. It reminded me of things that passed and reincarnated my old ghosts but nonetheless, it rocked my world! It may not be as intense when it comes to the guitar riffs, effects, et cetera but deep in the emotions, it whacks you straight through. (Lakas tama, gaya ng RHB!) I’ll let its lyrics speak for itself, ayt? The future has gone away / and the present is yet to find a way out / the past is at the end of the line / while i'm left through time / forever yesterday

And quite obviously, their songs just ain’t enough for me. I would have loved to hear them in person. Guess what? Wishes do come true as Jeyvi invited me to watch them perform live in their gig at Brannigan’s Live along Timog Avenue.

Proximity to the band and hearing them play live proved that Monks’hood has what it takes to be in Muziklaban! They rock, man! Everything blended well. From Jeyvi’s “not-so-monstrous” voice, to their guitar riffs, bass lines and beat, it was a kick-ass performance. One could feel the tension, the energy, the desire of the band to make people hear what they have to say.

The downfall of the whole thing was that they didn’t sing Forever Yesterday – my favorite track from the songs I’ve heard via MySpace. Hmm… I believe, I’ve voiced out my disappointment to Jeyvi but I guess one can’t have it all. Hehe. But all in all, everything was perfect.

Monks’hood – you guys have what it takes; just keep on believing in yourselves as I do in you. Monks’hood ROCKZ!!

By the way, Monks’hood – based from the info on their webbies, was gotten from the dictionary by Jeyvi’s brother Francis (?) (sorry, can’t check the site for the info kya m not sure). It was a poisonous plant, I think. Monks’hood members hail from San Pedro, Laguna and writes their own songs. (Hey hey, congrats on excellent songwriting, dudes!)

Here are their webbies’ URLs, just click right on peepz! http://www.tekarats.com/Monkshood.html You guys go ahead and check out for other info on this great band. And this one’s their account on MySpace: http://www.MySpace.com/monkshood check out their songs on this one, you’ll be able to appreciate it, I swear!

And, add them up on Friendster and MySpace: monkshoodrocks@hotmail.com and jeyvi@hotmail.com

Azriel, the SilverDevil, signing off…

check out my band KONTRA
www.kontra.ph