hulika

Author Topic: The importance of knowing other musicians/drummers/influences?  (Read 3111 times)

Offline drummerboy827

• Forum Fanatic
May mga friends ako na tumutugtog din. Mahilig sila tumugtog kaso when you ask them kung sino ang influences/idols nila ang reply nila "Kahit sino".

Gano bang important ung pagkakaroon ng influence? Should we research on other musicians??
"Fast practice = slow progress"
"Slow practice = fast progress"

Offline autoexec

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: The importance of knowing other musicians/drummers/influences?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 12:19:30 PM »
hehe kahit sino daw?!. ako sa totoo di ko alam, basta kung ano ano lang yung mga pinapakinggan ko.. Kulang pa ako ng mga songs dito..
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 12:20:53 PM by autoexec »

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 12:35:48 PM »
Having more influences = Being more flexible and versatile.

At kung mas marami kang mapapakikinggan, marami kang mananakawan.  :-D

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 01:14:27 PM »
Knowing other musician's influences = more potential influences for us = more tricks to steal, hehehe.

Ay, sinabi na pala ni Gep. :D
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline lil.drummerboy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 01:18:40 PM »
tama. mas maganda iba iba at iba ibang genre, clase clase ng mga tugtog para madami at iba iba din ang pwde manakaw hehe. :)

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 10:45:29 PM »
I sometimes consider drumming as my "religion". The fact that Im a freethinker, I  follow many doctrines (styles/approach) and don't adhere too much to a single or conventional ideas in drumming. I maybe a sinner, wanderer or a stray sheep from one paricular genre,but never to the Creator of drums which is MUSIC.

I believe that it is imperative for every musicians/artist to have a "personal" relationship with God/Music. Its something learned by oneself through experience and open-mindedness. If one has reached this "higher consciousness" in drumming, then it can be considered as development of "personal style".

Amen!  :mrgreen:
So Be It.

Offline drummerboy827

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 09:57:20 PM »
^^

idol well said. Tapos ung mga kabanda ko mahilig sa OPM. they compose songs composed of single chords (ung tipong paulit-ulit lang).
"Fast practice = slow progress"
"Slow practice = fast progress"

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 08:52:35 AM »

knowing one's influences is good so no unrealistic expectations can happen ... if you are jamming with a metal drummer, dont expect him to do those disco hi-hat beats. if you jam with a funk/blues based drummer, dont expect him to know how to play against a dissonant chord riff going 200 bpm. if you are playing with a jazz drummer, dont expect him to do Ac/Dc backbone beats.

ppl who say their influences are "kahit sino" are the same ppl who listen to alternative music, pop music, mtv music and radio.

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 06:07:56 PM »
I think it's important to know other musicians' influences.  It helps us understand where this particular artist is coming from, where he/she gets ideas and such.  As a musician, it's an essential part of research.

For example, when I was checking out Matt Cameron during my younger years, I discovered through his Modern Drummer interview that he was highly influenced by the likes of Steve Gadd, Tony Williams, and other great jazz drummers.  This made me curious; and thanks to that, that's how I discovered master drummers such as Gadd and Williams.

Another example...  I admire John Bonham so much because no matter how heavy his drumming is, his groove still feels oh so good!  Later on, I discovered that Bonzo is highly influenced by Motown music.  And so I figured, that's where he got that great sense of feel and groove.

I can lay down more examples...  It's great that music stuff is being passed on from generation to generation.  And it's great that we have the opportunity to look back, do our research, and appreciate how music and drumming evolved over the years.  And we ourselves can share and pass amongst each other the knowledge, insights, learnings and know-how.

Before I judge a certain musician, I find a way to know who his/her influences are.  In that way, I'll get to understand them more as artists and persons.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 07:13:50 PM by drumster »

Offline waterfallbubinga

• Netizen Level
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 08:50:42 PM »

knowing one's influences is good so no unrealistic expectations can happen ... if you are jamming with a metal drummer, dont expect him to do those disco hi-hat beats. if you jam with a funk/blues based drummer, dont expect him to know how to play against a dissonant chord riff going 200 bpm. if you are playing with a jazz drummer, dont expect him to do Ac/Dc backbone beats.

ppl who say their influences are "kahit sino" are the same ppl who listen to alternative music, pop music, mtv music and radio.

ibig mong sabihin ba ay yung mga nagsabi na "kahit sino" ay yung mga nakikinig ng mainstream commercialized music?

galit ka sa kanila noh? :? o na mistinterpret ko lang yung last sentence mo? :|

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

nO RLY

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 02:49:41 AM »
hindi pupuwedeng hindi mo alam yung mga influences ng mga band mates mo. dapat malaman mo kung ano yung mga "trip" nila. okay lang naman na iba iba yung mga influences nila sa mga sa iyo. important lang na malaman mo yung sa kanila para malalaman mo yung style of playing nila. and maganda rin kung iba yung influence ng band mate mo kasi maaaral mo rin yung mga ibang songs na di ka sanay na mapakinggan.

Offline daemonite

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 09:49:26 AM »
Meron at merong influence ang isang tao pagdating sa music. Imposibleng wala yun or kahit sino.

Anyways going back to the topic, the importance of knowing the influence/s of other musicians is para malaman mo kung bakit ganon ang tunog nila, however good or bad it is. it always come down to the influence kasi it's like life, we have to have a role model....
Drummer / Keyboardist
PrimeApes / Chuckoy Vicuņa Combo
https://soundcloud.com/daemon-keys

Offline cs_mapper

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2007, 01:55:06 AM »
hehe basta wag lang HALE ang influence ng mga bagito ngayon ayos na sa kin ahhiihihi!!!

Offline sonnaqs

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2007, 01:03:38 AM »
hahaha...
ako kc mood listener eh,,,
minsan alternative, emo, punk, metal, tpos minsan biglang jazz, prog, classical, folk...
bsta i enjoy music,,,
at sa lahat ng yun,, dami tlgang makukuhang ideas...
the more u explore other music than those u play.. you learn more.. and more and more..
posibilities are endless.. :D
"never let the music die down!!"
\m/ ^__^ \m/

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2007, 02:32:14 AM »
hahaha...
ako kc mood listener eh,,,
minsan alternative, emo, punk, metal, tpos minsan biglang jazz, prog, classical, folk...
bsta i enjoy music,,,
at sa lahat ng yun,, dami tlgang makukuhang ideas...
the more u explore other music than those u play.. you learn more.. and more and more..
posibilities are endless.. :D

Oo nga e. Dapat talaga enjoy lang sa music!!!

Offline drummer_boy17

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 12:41:08 PM »
Having more influences = Being more flexible and versatile.

At kung mas marami kang mapapakikinggan, marami kang mananakawan.  :-D

hehehe.. idol! :D :D tama ka more influences equals to being more flexible :)
FLY FAST PHOTOGRAPHY: Click Here

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2007, 01:12:33 PM »

ibig mong sabihin ba ay yung mga nagsabi na "kahit sino" ay yung mga nakikinig ng mainstream commercialized music?

galit ka sa kanila noh? :? o na mistinterpret ko lang yung last sentence mo? :|

not really galit, i mean i like listening to dashboard confessional (thats as mainstream as you can get, right?) ...

may experiences lang ako dati na nag audition ng musicians na "kahit sino" ang influences and the result was time and money wasted. siguro inis lang ako sa posers who claim to listen to jazz, emo, metal, etc. when fact of the matter is, they only listen to the pop versions of those genres they mentioned