hulika

Author Topic: Need Opinions on ZVEX Box of Rock -- I guess this goes out to the US guys  (Read 10535 times)

Offline oasgomez-is-banned

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Need Opinions on ZVEX Box of Rock -- I guess this goes out to the US guys
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2007, 08:37:54 PM »
Pallas,

Thanks for the reply.  What amp do you use so I can test it if behaves in the same way this coming weekend?  Correct me if I am wrong, but as I remember you sold your Time Machine Boost to get the Box of Rock?

Where do you reside if I may ask?

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2007, 08:56:37 PM »
aya_yuson
Forum Fanatic

Quote from: oasgomez on Today at 01:09:59 AM
Skunky,

A lot of people do hear and non-guitarist (NON-GUITARISTS... plural ang noun/subject mo, Alex ("people") so plural din dapat ang "non-guitarists") at that.  You forget that philmusic is just a microcosm of the world and lots of people outside philmusic know what sounds GOOD they way we know it.  If Wally, Arie, Gabe, and Steve who don't post here can all agree with me that the Diezel sounds killer to the point that 3 out of 4 of them say its the best amp they have heard in their life to date, then we are not alone.  When Wally was playing in that private party, the guy next to us totally noticed the difference moving from a Marshall reissue SLP Head into a Diezel Herbert. (<-- TO, not INTO... i.e., "moving from a Marshall reissue SLP head TO a Diezel Herbert")
When we had our last tone part (<-- don't you mean "PARTY"?)long ago to celebrate a party for one of Arie's kamag anak (correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe this should be hyphenated, as in "KAMAG-ANAK") , the combination of the soldano, vox, bruno and bogner made the guest think it sounded like a CD.  Their ears were as fresh and were so impressed with how the whole thing sounded.  (<--- WHAT THE BLEEPIN' F-WORD KINDA SENTENCE IS THAT?!?!? I don't even know where to begin trying to correct it....  Their ears were as fresh as... WHAT?!? AS FRESH AS WHAT?!?!)
The oldies even commented (THAT) they (THEY'D) never heard electric guitar that sounded so good in their life.   

Besides there are guys who don't like the 6 Underground sound that some people say is great.  The problem is:  THEY JUST DON'T SHOW UP BECAUSE IT SOUNDS BAD.  Besides, why worry about them?  Let them learn the hard way. 

Are you learning the hard way yet, Alex?

If you can't watch your content, at least have the decency to maintain your form!

as fresh as a seasoned lola  :-D  :wink:
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2007, 09:39:47 PM »
I just don't get this "tone is in the lola" idea.  Ako kasi "tone is in the mommy..."  :-D Dunno if I got that right...

Anyway, I think what oasgomez is doing (as I remember it right, sabi niya), "Buy everything and match everything..."

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2007, 11:27:07 PM »
Need Opinions on ZVEX Box of Rock -- I guess this goes out to the US guys

nagpabili ka na naman sa lola mo? direchahan na! kaya nga tone is in the lola diba? alam naman nating lahat na di kaya ng bulsa mo yung gears mo sa pagdedeliver ng mga Instant Mami kaya TONE IS IN THE LOLA!!!!

wow active parin ngayong gabi pala to ah!

wag ka magalala pag na ban ka na in a few hours.... gagawan kita sarili monmg forum!

ang special dun sa forums na yun... IKAW LANG ANG MEMBER!!!!!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 11:32:50 PM by edgeofillusion-jepoy »
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2007, 01:04:14 AM »
Abyss,

1) What other ZVEX pedels do you recommend?
2) Sino pala ang avatar mo?

Oas,
1. some Zvex pedals that I like are the Wooly Mammoth, the Johnny Octave (plus a fuzz of some sort) and the Machine. However, between the Johnny Octave and the Chicago Iron Tyco Brahe (which was what I was looking for), I went with the Chicago Iron because it sounded really gritty very much like an original Octavia, temperamental attitude and all. The Johnny Octave is great too and it has this fuzzy quality that works darn well with fuzz pedals for a very authentic octave but is quite capable of some very warm octave work too. It is probably the best tracking octave pedal I've tried so far short of running my signal through an Eventide Harmonizer.

2.The fine looking woman is Jennifer Morrison from the show House MD. I shuttle my avatars between Jennifer Morrison and Katherine Heigl because I love 'em both. Lots.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2007, 06:31:27 AM »
Abyss,

Thanks. 

Great to hear that you have got a Chicago Iron Tyco Brahe.  Did you get a chance to compare it to the original?

Offline markflo

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2007, 06:37:54 AM »
OOOH! i tried that chicago iron octavia! ganda nga yan...

i like the fulltone ultimate octave better though. more pronounced octave.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2007, 07:03:42 AM »
To those who are trying to start a fight with oas:

Can you guys quit it?  While I don't approve of what he does a lot of times, what you guys are doing now isn't anywhere near cool either, right?

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2007, 07:11:40 AM »
Aya, Psychic Sushi, Edge of Illusion,

Thanx 4 d editing works.

If Jim Ayson decides to banded me for this forum, I belief its because yur group wants me out. Kasi napipikon kayo.  

Case in point: There is nothing at all on this thread subject that concerns the three of you and yet you try to find fault in grammar and spelling on another thread topic which is not related.

Aya,

I have not done anything to you.  If you feel offended it is purely because we approach issues differently.  

Anton,

You even got a chance to try out my gear and I thought you were cool.  If you want to promote yourself as a tone guru, thats cool but don't do it at my expense.  I do not promote myself as one.  

So, if you guys have not tried out a ZVEX because you cannot afford it, then get out of the thread.  On the other hand, if you guys have tried out or owned a ZVEX then post your experience.  There is more to life than a modded DS1 and a locally made custom guitar.

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2007, 07:19:21 AM »
Abyss & Markflo,

Regarding Octavers, there is this new manufacturer -- KR Music -- who claims that he makes actual replicas of the pedals of Jimi.  He also has an octave model.  I wish you guys get a chance to try it out because he does not process orders from Asia.  Since you guys are over there, both of you are definitely in a position to review it.  Also, since I will be banned in a few hours, I hope you get a chance to post your review at some point in time in the future.

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2007, 08:03:15 AM »
Alex,

Nope, I m not promoting myself as a tone guru, nor do i consider myself to be one. I have not made a statement anywhere declaring myself to be one.  What i preach, is music and art.

It was great to try your gear, I'm thankful.

For clarification, "pikon" is not how I feel about this issue. The term I used was "offended". your sweeping statement about "educating" the Philmusic masses on tone was totally out of line. Perhaps I should have dug deeper into what your words truly meant or attempted to convey, as your posts do come off as crass and blunt at the onset, but you stated further that you wanted to be brutally frank. That was my basis.

Doesn't your tone  "crusade" involve personal elevation of some sort? You speak of fine gear, then tell the next person that they cant afford it.

You dropped by Elegee's shop to "teach" him and the peaceful folks there what good tone is.  In what language, or english synonym even, would you like the word "guru" to be applied in?

Alex, rest assured that I will continue no further the cumbersome task of getting across to you (unless provoked). Now that you have reacted to my crazy tirades, I'm glad that you've felt offended (no matter the dosage of the emotion) by my little role in the whole mess.

at least you got a little taste of the offense i felt, and the offense you've caused to many. i hope this was not your first lesson in empathy.

Guys, sorry for the blast, this I had to get off my chest. I've made my point.

Oh, one last thing, about me being "cool"-

I am. I have even defended your cause and persona at times on and off the forum, even in the personal  conversations I have with people. Yes, count BAMF in on my subjectiveness about you. I have acknowledged the merit in the informaion you share with us about fine gear.

The key word here is "offense", Alex.  I will try my utmost not to be (i am very patient, ask all around you who know me), and I really hope you try not to inflict it on others.

Sayang eh, if it weren't for the attitude, you'd legions more thirsty ears waiting for you. ears that wont have to be affected by the bias you seem to instill in their minds.

Back to regular programming... (my apologies again to the folks)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 08:05:54 AM by psychic_sushi »

Ron Kirn

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2007, 08:27:24 AM »

So, if you guys have not tried out a ZVEX because you cannot afford it, then get out of the thread.  On the other hand, if you guys have tried out or owned a ZVEX then post your experience.  There is more to life than a modded DS1 and a locally made custom guitar.

see what I mean?

Ron Kirn

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2007, 09:09:08 AM »
Psychic Sushi,

So can you afford it? If you can, what does your post on my grammar from another thread have to do with the topic?

If you cannot afford it, fine.  Just don't mess up the thread for people who have tried it and who bought it and for people who have tried but have NOT decided to buy it.

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2007, 09:28:50 AM »
things are heating up again.. *why can't we be friends, oh why can't we be friends?* hehe :)

i have a question regarding ZVex pedals: do the Vexster and the normal hand-painted versions have exactly the same circuitry/tone? there's a substantial difference in price between the two and if the only difference is the finish, i'd rather get the Vexster version.. :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2007, 09:41:59 AM »
Psychic Sushi,

I will not drag ELEGEE into this.  For the record, I did not go there to teach.  The only thing I did was to show Jon what I thought for me was a good sounding guitar.    You were not there for 4 full hours so don't think you know any better.  You also forget that I lauded one of Jon's guitar over the 12 pieces of Gibson USA and Custom Shop crap that I tested in Hong Kong.

That's your problem if you think you don't need an education in tone.  I say it like it is.  Kulang pa tayong Pinoy dito sa Pinas sa exposure sa magagandang gear sa mundo because we cannot afford it.  As I said before, mas suwerte nga ang mga Pinoy sa U.S. in terms of trying out gear and being exposed.

Thats why I am excited to hear a Divided by 13 or the New Matchless Independence without having to take the risk of spending a lot of money.

What kind of personal elevation are you talking about?  I have nothing to gain by posting here.  I do not sell anything.  I have no gigs to promote.  Hindo ko nga career ang music.  I have no hidden agenda.   I just say things like it is because I do not like to sugar coat and make everybody just feel good.  I already stated on this forum before that I prefer my Herbert to my SLO which for me is an admission of a mistake.

In terms of affordability, I have always said that you should SAVE for good gear.  Now if you don't want to SAVE for it, then I say you cannot afford it.  If you can afford it but don't like it, thats also cool.  But the reality of the world is that more money buys you better stuff.  Now its up to you to personally assess whether the incremental benefit of the incremental cost is worth it.

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2007, 09:55:53 AM »
guy's peace out. I like this trhread because I'm intrested in zvex to. Hope to read more info about this brand and product line.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2007, 10:03:52 AM »
OOOH! i tried that chicago iron octavia! ganda nga yan...

i like the fulltone ultimate octave better though. more pronounced octave.

Yes, I got to try out a Tycho Brahe, expensive as heck but it was hella cool to see what an original sounds like. The Tycho Brahe is a very gritty and lofi-sounding pedal that shines when you use it with a low gain setting, on single coils, especially those microphonic vintage strat pups. The Chicago Iron holds to a tradition of lo-fi vintage-ness that I was looking for and, I believe, it was designed to behave with the same type of temperamental, wacked out octave effect as the original; the pedal has a lot of harmonics that you can really dig into and have fun with.

Mark,
totoo nga na yung Fulltone is much cleaner and, in fact, it was my first choice for an octave pedal until I tried the Chicago Iron. The Chicago Iron suited my playing style much better because I thought the round sound of their Tycho Brahe made my phrases mesh together better. I am very fond of rakes and I have a pretty heavy picking hand which suited the tone of the Chicago Iron Tycho Brehe repro better. Either way, you can't go wrong with either pedal but you do have to try them out just to see which one would sound better with your playing.

I will try and see if they sell KR Music stuff around me. I am always looking for interesting stuff to try.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2007, 10:07:49 AM »
things are heating up again.. *why can't we be friends, oh why can't we be friends?* hehe :)

i have a question regarding ZVex pedals: do the Vexster and the normal hand-painted versions have exactly the same circuitry/tone? there's a substantial difference in price between the two and if the only difference is the finish, i'd rather get the Vexster version.. :)
yup...there are different variations from the vexter BOR and the handpainted ones. The vexter BORs are assembled in Taiwan.  Personally id be happy with the vexters stuff, i wish he had a vexter loop junkie.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 10:34:01 AM by pallas »
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline supacow

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2007, 10:23:03 AM »
Im wanting to try that ZVEX mini tube amp!

Any experiences on that?

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2007, 10:29:06 AM »
Phoenix Rising,

I have heard of it but have not tried it.  Maybe the US guys might have tried it out.  I am also interested in the products of Landgraff.  Hope the US guys can share some info on the Landgraff.  For info, John Landgraff and Bob Burt are close.  John also makes amps and Bob does his cabinets I think.

I try to minimize mentioning boutique stuff because a lot of people get "offended".  Until I actually try one out, I really cannot say much because people on the forum might think nagyayabang lang ako.  But very soon, it will not matter anymore because I will be banned.

Offline markflo

« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2007, 12:44:00 PM »
what i heard about the zvex box of rock is that it's a marshall in a box....

BUT...

it sounds the best when used in front of a marshall....

ACHECHE! what's the point?!?!
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2007, 12:59:04 PM »
Phoenix Rising,

Try mo rin ang Bumbox baka mas ok pa kasi head talaga at kaunti lang ang upcharge versus the nano.  Hard to say if the tone is great until you try it out on your setup.

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2007, 08:23:27 PM »
what i heard about the zvex box of rock is that it's a marshall in a box....

BUT...

it sounds the best when used in front of a marshall....

ACHECHE! what's the point?!?!
sabi daw nila na it retains the marshall sound better than any distortion or overdrive pedal like say an sd1, ds1, eternity, marshall guvnor etc. in your signal
chain.

I ddnt care bout that, all i wanted was a wicked distortion unit with a decent boost on a smaller enclosure.
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2007, 08:32:18 PM »

Any experiences on that?
i wanted that one too pero maingay daw dahil sa internal fan, oh well :wink:

Offline supacow

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2007, 05:04:56 PM »

Any experiences on that?
i wanted that one too pero maingay daw dahil sa internal fan, oh well :wink:

ooohhh is that so?

hmmm seemed so enticing when i watched a review on it on youtube!

anyway, its just so darn expensive for something so small.

hehe