hulika

Author Topic: Rode stereo mic...  (Read 1233 times)

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Rode stereo mic...
« on: October 14, 2007, 03:05:53 PM »
hey all,
just wondering if anyone has ever used one of those Rode Stereo condenser mics. I will be doing a considerable amount of mobile recording of acoustic stuff and recording in stereo sounds appealing so I would like to get one of those stereo mics if they sound good. Right now, I use a pair of Earthworks mics in stereo but using those out in the field might be a bit cumbersome. i'd appreciate whatever feedback you have on 'em.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Rode stereo mic...
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 03:26:19 PM »
nakagamit na ako neto mikey. twas marvinq's mics that was used during our orchestral, choir recording at UP. I used it at my main mics pointing towards the stage of the auditorium. although i havnt use it yet during a recording session in a studio but i guess its really a good mic.
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 12:49:10 AM »
@jepoy: salamat for the insight. i will see if any local places have it in stock so i can try it out. I wont be using it for anything as huge as a choir or orchestra but will most likely be using it on acoustic guitars, violin, percussion and cello stuff.

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 07:13:21 AM »
hi abyss. i use the rode nt4 for pretty much anything -- overheads, ac. guitars, far mics for brass, room mics (when i'm too lazy to do m/s) -- chances are, you're bound to find lots of uses for it -- it basically does what overhead mics do - fill in the holes between closely miked tracks. you might even wanna do stereo in place miking with it for the most natural panning...

it sounds good, even if you don't care too much for mono compatibility, which it has anyway...

well, hope this helps....
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline micr0chimp

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 07:44:46 AM »
I opted for the NT5s because I wanted the flexibility of using them individually for different sources if needed.  It sounds a bit dark compared to the other entry- to mid-level SDCs I've had experiences with but it also sits well when mixed in with other tracks. Since the NT5 and NT4 share the same capsule I think it'd be a good buy. And it'll be perfect for the applications you plan to use it for.

Two cents. YMMV.  :-D

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 07:52:12 AM »
actually, the rode pencil condensers will really sound dark compared to  most other SDCs in roughly the same price range, as most of them have hyped high frequency response...

i have pair of nt5's too, and they get much use too, but they're so much harder to set up if you wanna do x-y.
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline micr0chimp

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 09:08:25 AM »
Yun lang talaga, medyo hassle i-setup.  But I can't really pad my mic closet just yet so I settled on the matched pair.  Then a friend sold me a couple of Samson CO2s dirt cheap.  :-D

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 01:12:21 PM »
actually, the rode pencil condensers will really sound dark compared to  most other SDCs in roughly the same price range, as most of them have hyped high frequency response...

i have pair of nt5's too, and they get much use too, but they're so much harder to set up if you wanna do x-y.

right, and that is why i would rather use something like the Rode stereo mic because there are a lot of times when I find setting up my trusty Earthworks QTCs to be a big hassle. I love the way they sound but when you are outside the studio, you just wanna get something good and get the sound quick, you know? Thanks for the advice.