hulika

Author Topic: Setting up your PC for Recording  (Read 297033 times)

Offline --randz--

Re: Setting up your PC for Recording
« Reply #450 on: September 24, 2009, 10:38:40 AM »
maraming salamat sir... i'll try this mamaya pag-uwi ko.... :-)

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #451 on: September 24, 2009, 05:28:34 PM »
Napakainformative ng thread na ito!!! :-D

Tanong ko lang mga sir ano masasabi nyo sa website na ito: http://www.tarekith.com/assets/XPTweaks.htm
Nipost yan ni sir Karlo before. Ok ba na itry yung mga recommendations dun? :-)
Mabuhay Philmu!!!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #452 on: September 24, 2009, 10:08:29 PM »
Napakainformative ng thread na ito!!! :-D

Tanong ko lang mga sir ano masasabi nyo sa website na ito: http://www.tarekith.com/assets/XPTweaks.htm
Nipost yan ni sir Karlo before. Ok ba na itry yung mga recommendations dun? :-)
Mabuhay Philmu!!!

They're ok. I used to communicate with tarekith over at productionforums.com which I also mod over.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #453 on: September 24, 2009, 10:31:31 PM »
Salamat sir Kit!! :-D

Offline britesynth

• Veteran Member
« Reply #454 on: October 10, 2009, 12:17:04 AM »
question:

ano nag.cacause ng crackling noise/popping sound kapag nag.rerecord? madalas kasi nasasayang yung mga takes kasi may "crackle", ano pwede gawin para maiwasan?

thanks!  :lol:
"never lose groove even if the beat goes out of time and the song goes out of tune"

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #455 on: October 11, 2009, 11:21:59 AM »
question:

ano nag.cacause ng crackling noise/popping sound kapag nag.rerecord? madalas kasi nasasayang yung mga takes kasi may "crackle", ano pwede gawin para maiwasan?

thanks!  :lol:

Try easing up on your latency. Don't use plugins when recording and make sure your hard drive is sufficiently 'clean' (i.e., recently defragged, no other programs running in the background, etc.).

About latency, it helps if you have some form of hardware monitoring. the hard part is if you rely on softsynths during realtime recording. My advice is to use an external synth, record the midi, then just replace the patch with a softsynth later on.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 01:47:08 PM by KitC »
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline --randz--

« Reply #456 on: October 16, 2009, 01:43:50 PM »
hi sir kit c

i'm experiencing droupouts sa ni-record ko na kanta..

1. ano po maganda gawin para ma-avoid yung dropouts?
2. are too much effects to the tracks leads u to droupout?

im recording satb (choir) vocals using sonar.

thanks in advance

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #457 on: October 16, 2009, 02:01:58 PM »
@randz - what is your interface? Are you simultaneously playing back instrument tracks while recording in sonar?

Here's a tactic I use with my Emu. The Emu cards are interesting with respect that both WDM and ASIO are simultaneously available. I can have Sonar open using ASIO while I have Wavelab open at the same time using WDM drivers - some other cards do not allow that. I can then record in Sonar while playing back a track in Wavelab without fear of dropouts. I sometimes use this setup the other way around (playback in Sonar, record in Wavelab) when I'm downsampling since I'm recording an analog signal bypassing any downsampling algorithms which sometime sound bad to me.

With other setups, you can presumably play back a stereo file using media player through the computer's onboard audio while recording through an audio interface that is using asio drivers. This assumes that you have the mixdown of the instrument tracks that the choir will sing to. Just add a sync click to the start of the mixdown file to help you in aligning the satb tracks in sonar later. I hope you catch my drift.

Offline --randz--

« Reply #458 on: October 16, 2009, 02:35:07 PM »
sir kit.. im only using behringer uca200 with xenix mixer.. i also install ASIO...

here's how i record..
-  i insert first the audio (minus one) then, record soprano, then alto, tenor  & bass.
-  after i recorded all the vocals, during playback, wala syang dropout... nung nag-apply na ko ng effects (reverb and compression) sa satb,,, nung playback na, meron na pong dropout,,,

(may ibang songs na kami na narecord... pero hindi sya nag-dropout.)

then ang ginawa ko po... i import every voice category to wav file... then i inserted again to the multitrack of sonar... then on playback nawala yung dropout.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #459 on: October 16, 2009, 02:52:37 PM »
-  after i recorded all the vocals, during playback, wala syang dropout... nung nag-apply na ko ng effects (reverb and compression) sa satb,,, nung playback na, meron na pong dropout,

Some effects are VERY processor intensive. Raise your latency settings to the highest possible during mixdown to ease up on the proccie.

Offline --randz--

« Reply #460 on: October 16, 2009, 03:19:29 PM »
ok sir thanks..

:-)

Offline --randz--

« Reply #461 on: October 17, 2009, 09:41:36 AM »
sir.. hindi ako makapag-export ng mp3 sa sonar... wav lang...
ano po kaya problema? hanggang 16bit lang po ba ang behringer uca200?

ty :-D

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #462 on: October 17, 2009, 11:41:01 AM »
sir.. hindi ako makapag-export ng mp3 sa sonar... wav lang...

You have to buy that feature. It's stated in the manual <sigh>

Look for freeware converters - there are a LOT of them out there. While my mp3 export feature in Sonar is activated, I don't use it. I prefer to use the LAME encoder with the Razorlame GUI.

Offline --randz--

« Reply #463 on: October 20, 2009, 01:49:52 PM »
thanks!!

Offline alvincflorentino

« Reply #464 on: October 22, 2009, 10:42:01 AM »
Here I go again starting a new topic when/where I feel I shouldn't. Or is it ok? Here it is anyway...

I'd like to know how the Intel atom 270(?) or 280(?) fares as a processor for recording or does it really matter? I use Sonar 7PE and I'm wondering if this processor has any issues with regards my DAW? Actually, I'm thinking of buying a laptop and the small form ones seem to tickle my fancy. The thing is, it's Intel atom nga. The included RAMs are usually 1-2GB which I know is sufficient (but the more the better, yeah, yeah) and the hard drives are 160GB. Unfortunately, a lot of these small form laptops have HD speeds of only 4k plus. Swerte na if you find the 5k plus. You think we can we upgrade these to the 7k plus ones? Thanks to anyone who might wanna try to respond...
Korg Kronos, Korg PolySix, Roland Juno-106/SH-101; Fender '57 strat/'52 tele, Gibson LP SL; Korg D16XD, dbx 266XL, Mackie 1402 VLZ, Roland UA-700 interface, Audio Technica AT-4033SE, Rode NT1-A, Studio Projects B1/B3;  Yamaha NS-10M, Alesis M1 Active MkII

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #465 on: October 22, 2009, 11:42:02 AM »
Well, you will definitely have an issue with track counts as far as recording goes. But the real issue is with plugins, where cpu speed is essential. Definitely reverbs may cause it to bog down, but if it's any consolation, I used to do quite well with my old Pentium 233 MMX, so there.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 11:43:08 AM by KitC »

Offline alvincflorentino

« Reply #466 on: October 22, 2009, 09:23:44 PM »
I know what you mean. That new Sonar compressor and EQ are RAM/Processor hogs, huh? I actually have a much faster and more capable laptop but I get "audio stopped" messages now and then when I throw in too many reverbs, EQs, and spatializers, etc on too many tracks! Ha!

Thank you much for the advise, bro.
Korg Kronos, Korg PolySix, Roland Juno-106/SH-101; Fender '57 strat/'52 tele, Gibson LP SL; Korg D16XD, dbx 266XL, Mackie 1402 VLZ, Roland UA-700 interface, Audio Technica AT-4033SE, Rode NT1-A, Studio Projects B1/B3;  Yamaha NS-10M, Alesis M1 Active MkII

Offline alvincflorentino

« Reply #467 on: October 22, 2009, 09:38:08 PM »
One other thing, if it's ok:

I'm thinking of buying a USB audio/MIDI interface (M-audio Fast Track Pro) for use with Sonar but do I really need it? I already have an existing MIDI to USB cable attached from my keyboard onto one USB port of the laptop. I've tried to record MIDI into Sonar and it works, albeit with a noticeable lag. I don't really mind the lag because I believe there's a workaround for the latency. But I also want an audio to USB connection so I can record live audio (duh?!) from my mixer. I know I can also use the existing line-in of my laptop, but can I also use an RCA (or TRS) to USB cable, which is soooo much cheaper than an interface? Is that workable? Will there be issues with using one USB port for MIDI and another for audio instead of just using one interface going into one USB port? I think I've just mixed myself up...haha!

Thanks again...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #468 on: October 23, 2009, 07:52:55 AM »
Alvin,

No issues with what you are thinking, but look at it also from this perspective. The Fast Track combines midi and audio into one interface. You only use up one usb port for 2 possible devices, which can be important if you are using a port challenged laptop. Add to the fact that it probably has better audio specs compared to your planned 'RCA-to-usb' interface (CDRKing? - be forewarned), plus the interface already has XLR ports so future expansion is already built-in.

Still, I'm not stopping you if you want to proceed with your plans. Just think about it a little more.

Offline alvincflorentino

« Reply #469 on: October 23, 2009, 09:45:08 PM »
Actually I was thinking more of the Behringer RCA to USB interface, not the CD-R King kind, God forbid! I'm thinking that will be an adequate alternative to the all-in-one interface in terms of audio fidelity, etc, albeit at a more affordable price. I fully agree that the one interface/one USB port is the best bet for reasons you've mentioned. In the meantime, I'm thinking hard and digging deep....

Offline alvincflorentino

« Reply #470 on: October 24, 2009, 09:03:57 AM »
Here's another one:

As most of us know, laptops nowadays have HDs in a variety of sizes. However, speed has not really been a priority in I'd say 90%, with most running at 5k plus, tops. If I had one that ran at 5k or even the older 4k ones, would upgrading the HD to one that ran at a more recording-friendly 7,200 rpm really make it run at 7,200 rpm? Or would the existing hardware/software configuration be hardwired to top at it's stock 5k or 4k and make the upgrade moot? If it's possible to upgrade, what are the steps to take ensure this? Thanks again...

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #471 on: October 30, 2009, 10:15:37 AM »
gumagamit pa ba kayo ng separate video card para sa DAW? thinking of building an amd phenom 9650 DAW this xmas.

sa luma ko ng setup P4 (2.66) kasi, mas mabilis naka AGP video card at mas mababa yung cpu util kesa kung gagamitin ko yung built in video ng motherboard

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #472 on: October 30, 2009, 11:49:10 AM »
Peeves,

My first DAW had onboard video. Among my pet peeves (no pun intended) with onboard video was insufficient resolution and shared memory (which, at the time, impinged on my 512 megs of ram  :-o ).

Newer mobos now usually sport very capable video, but still at the cost of shared memory. Nevertheless, I still would use a separate video card since I like to sneak in a game or 2 in my DAW, although I wouldn't call Star Trek Legacy a video intensive game. (Waiting for Diablo 3 can be irritating.)

Offline kaishin_zurcs

« Reply #473 on: November 02, 2009, 06:47:40 PM »
Hi sir KiT!

first i want to thank you for all the things that you mentioned in this thread. Its very very helpful esp for newbies like myself in terms of audio recording. I get some things that was mentioned here but some things are way OFF my knowledge so I guess I need to read and learn more about this stuff. :D

Just want you. on a personal perspective what do you think of the Behringer Podcast studio?

Thanks in advance sir :)
My Faith Blog: Behind this Piercings and all :  http://jeremysauzacruz.blogspot.com/

my Photo Blog: http://thelowlycameraman.blogspot.com/

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #474 on: November 02, 2009, 08:42:39 PM »
on a personal perspective what do you think of the Behringer Podcast studio?

Welcome to the forums, kaishin!

To be honest, I never tried the Behringer Podcast Studio - never needed to. It does fall, however, into the "you-get-what-you-pay-for" category, meaning it is inexpensive and possibly meant for only what it says... podcasting. AFAIK, they give you a small mixer, headphones, a UCA202 interface and a dynamic mic; not bad for a podcasting kit, but a little too much gear to lug around if you want a truly portable rig. I've seen podcasting rigs based on a usb mic, eliminating the need for a mixer and interface. Still, I'm pretty sure it is adequate for the intended job.

As for serious recording, however, that is another matter.