hulika

Author Topic: Let's talk SG! (aka The SG Club)  (Read 220065 times)

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Let's talk SG! (video inside)
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2006, 02:12:36 PM »
tested a gibson sg standard dati.. shred to the max!.. lupit ng tones..

Offline jpadua

« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2006, 03:43:27 AM »
Found this in an article on Everything SG
http://www.everythingsg.com/articles/mahoganyrush.htm

Tommy Iommi SG
Top of the Epiphone range is the Korean-made Tony Iommi G-400 model(£640). Of course it's black all over and unsurprisingly it's a tad neck-heavy, because this critter has 24, frets clear of the body for a two-octave range on each string. The unbound rosewood fingerboard is inlaid with pearl crosses and the Gibson USA Tony Iommi humbuckers are completely covered, with no visible pole pieces. Beneath the glossy finish we are assured everything is solid mahogany, and all the hardware is black chrome including the kidney Grover tuners. This guitar is also available in a left-handed version for a mere £10 extra.

The Iommi is no traditional SG, so it's no surprise that it sounds quite different. These pickups are voiced to sound dark and moody, so you'll need a lot of crunch on your amp. To be honest it's not particularly inspiring plugged straight into an old-school valve amp, but it comes to life if you add a distortion pedal to the equation — especially if you start messing around with dropped tunings. If you like the man and you like the look, the Iommi is a fine if specialized rock guitar – but it's not the obvious choice if you want that classic SG tone without paying Gibson-type money.

G-400
No, for that you should check out the regular Epiphone G-400 (£389). Besides the Epiphone-shaped scarf-jointed headstock and the unbound fingerboard, this is 'a dead ringer for the '61 Standard. Of course the finish is plastic and the fingerboard is unbound, but the color is fairly close. There's a proper set-neck joint and all the wood is mahogany, but you'll have to make do with generic Alnico V Far Eastern humbuckers and chrome-plated hardware, not nickel.

The neck has that fat, vintage feel and the setup and intonation can't be faulted, though the frets have been left a little rough on top. Acoustically this guitar shows a lot of promise but the pickups aren't quite up to American-made Gibson quality. Against the Gibson Standard, playing the G-400 sounds as if a blanket has been thrown over the amp: detuned riffs sound a little mushy and a lack of bite and attack stops this guitar coming to life. It's more than acceptable for the money, especially when you're playing with overdrive, but the G-400 can't match the range of tones, the precision or the dynamics of its American cousins.

G-310
As you move further down the Epiphone line some of the features we associate with SGs start to disappear and production shifts from Korea to China. The G-310 (£275), for instance, only costs around £100 less than the G-400 but the trademark set neck is changed to a bolt‑on with a Fender-style chrome plate. The neck is still mahogany but the body is a very un-Gibson-like alder, and it's far less contoured than the real thing. Fortunately some decent cast tuners and hardware save the G-310 from too closely resembling the 1970s Gibson copies that some of us traded our first decent guitars for. No info is available on the pickups: the fact that they are open-coil humbuckers is all that we know.

So does this guitar really qualify as an SG? We'll leave that one to the purists because the G-310 turns out to be a bit of a surprise package. The bolt-on neck and the reduced-mass headstock make this a very resonant and lively guitar; the tonal vagueness of the G-400 is gone and we're back to that gnarly, belligerent rock attitude with lots of pinched harmonics and grit. Okay, it's not exactly pretty, but the G-310 even handles clean stuff extremely well, despite the power of its steaming hot humbuckers.

SG Special
True to form, lurking at the bottom of the line is Epiphone's entry-level SG – the Special (£189) with a maple neck and laminated alder/maple body. This really is on the basic side, with an unforgivably cheap set of tuners. There's no scratch plate and, despite the twin humbuckers, there are only two controls, master volume and tone, both with a nice silver-topped vintage look.

However, it sounds very different. Where the G-310 sounds much like a bona-fide SG, with that characteristic tonal thickness, the Special is a far more ragged performer that doesn't really sound anything like an SG. The good news, though, is that it's exciting and fun in a garage-y sort of way, and it's actually a very playable guitar.

Hope this enlightens those thinking of getting Epiphone SGs. :)

Jay
Epi SG ltd. | Epi Firbird Studio ltd. | Epi Les Paul Jr. | Fender Strat Plus | Avalon Silver series 200 Acoustic  | My Band http://www.myspace.com/thisisovertone | http://www.soundclick.com/jaypadua

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2006, 10:38:46 AM »
Quote from: deltaslim
Sori for the late reply...

I use 11s sa SG, forgot the brand. Pero I don't find the tone of my SG 'bassy' to start with. If anything, 11s add a bit more bass to it than if I had used 10s or smaller gauge. 

just bought a snarling dogs strings.. was thinking of getting a cheaper strings for my sg. i've been using EB for months now. this strings brought new life to my sg and my pup's. pero ang mahal kasi.

after installing the strings, yun hindi ko nanaman nagustuhan ang tunog. i can really hear and feel the difference between strings i tried. kaya important din talaga yung strings..

sadly mukhang balik na ko sa EB .. hehehe sad kasi mahal..  :-(

pero ganda naman tunog sg ko.. yehey!!  :-D
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 10:39:57 AM by dantuts »
I was alive in the forest
I was cut by the cruel axe
In life I was silent In death I sweetly sing

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2006, 11:03:02 AM »

I use 11s sa SG, forgot the brand. Pero I don't find the tone of my SG 'bassy' to start with. If anything, 11s add a bit more bass to it than if I had used 10s or smaller gauge. 

just bought a snarling dogs strings.. was thinking of getting a cheaper strings for my sg. i've been using EB for months now. this strings brought new life to my sg and my pup's. pero ang mahal kasi.

after installing the strings, yun hindi ko nanaman nagustuhan ang tunog. i can really hear and feel the difference between strings i tried. kaya important din talaga yung strings..

I just remembered, D'Addario yung akin.  Sigurado pang walang kalawang dahil sa sealed plastic packaging.  Ewan ko ba bakit sobrang mahal ng EB. Kaya di ako bumibili nyan e.

But I gotta agree. Laking effect ng strings, especially the gauge.  Not just on the tonal eq balance (whether bright, middy, bassy, etc) per se  but on creating the right amount of tension to make slide playing more 'toneful'.  Proven ko at ng iba ito so I won't qualify with an IMHO. ;-)

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2006, 12:34:18 PM »
hmm does anyone have comments for the samick sg? anyone ever try one?

Offline jpadua

« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2006, 10:52:45 AM »
hmm does anyone have comments for the samick sg? anyone ever try one?

Havent actually tried one, but the body shape is very different, its similar though, but it does not have the same contour, but it looks nice though.  if you want the look of a Gibson SG, go for an epi g400.

Here's a pic of a samick SG

« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 10:58:35 AM by jpadua »
Epi SG ltd. | Epi Firbird Studio ltd. | Epi Les Paul Jr. | Fender Strat Plus | Avalon Silver series 200 Acoustic  | My Band http://www.myspace.com/thisisovertone | http://www.soundclick.com/jaypadua

Offline jpadua

« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2006, 10:57:42 AM »

Dantuts, have you tried Alice strings?  Ive been using Alice gauge 10s for several months now, and I'm really happy with them, they dont rust at all, and a pack lasts me more than a month sometimes 2 months before I break a single string... and I gig 3 times a week sa lagay na yun.. punk pa yung tugtugan :D  they are really heavy duty, plus the fact that a pack is only 80 pesos.  The lower (E,A,D) don't sound as bright though if played unamplified, but its sounds OK when youve got your guitar plugged in.  Why dont you give it a try.

Jay

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2006, 11:01:10 AM »
never tried using alice..

alot of players here have bad reviews on alice strings ..

pero kung it works for you .. diba  :-)

pinalitan ko na agad yung snarling dogs.. balik Ernie balls ulit..

ernie ball strings na ko forever !!  :evil:

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2006, 11:09:54 AM »
alice strings are too hard to bend!

anyway, thats not the samick sg i was talking about. yung early 90s na sg nila. as in open book headstock, set neck with trapezoids. sg450 ang model

Offline jpadua

« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2006, 11:10:55 AM »
never tried using alice..

alot of players here have bad reviews on alice strings ..

pero kung it works for you .. diba  :-)

pinalitan ko na agad yung snarling dogs.. balik Ernie balls ulit..

ernie ball strings na ko forever !!  :evil:

Really? I know a lot of players naman who use alice :D anyways it works for me and a lot of others, the fact na P80 is champion! anyways sarap nyong lahat na naka SG!!! mine is coming in December, g310 nga lang pero, yippie!  I also bought Sperzel locking tuners with a drop d lock to replace the bad tuners on the g310.

Offline SDMF

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2006, 11:12:26 AM »
Ako din Ernie Ball gamit ko sa DeArmond S-73 ko, pati sa iba ko pang guitar. Pinalitan ko na lahat. Para sa akin din, malaki effect ng type of strings sa tone. Dati nung sa pinas ako, D'Addario ako kasi sealed ung packaging nya. KAso para sa akin iba talaga EB strings! Kaya sa tuwa ko e 10 packs pa binili ko strings (may discount din kasi). hehehe!  :-D

Ganda pa packaging nung Hybrid Slinky, orange hehehe! :-D
Guitars:Guild S-100, G&L Climax
Amp:Mesa Boogie RA-100, Rivera KTre Reverb 120W head, , Rivera K412t cab, Marshall JCM1C 50th Anniversary

Offline jpadua

« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2006, 11:16:34 AM »

anyway, thats not the samick sg i was talking about. yung early 90s na sg nila. as in open book headstock, set neck with trapezoids. sg450 ang model

Yun nga lang, medyo nga hard to bend hehehe... sanay na siguro ako.  Found a pic of the samick SG450, sayang ganda! its discontinued already.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 11:20:40 AM by jpadua »

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2006, 11:50:14 AM »

i didn't know that alice strings have a bad rep around here but i did try them (still have them on one gtr). weird sya i-bend, parang di intuitive (doesn't behave/sound like you expect it to behave/sound).  at parang may weird, unbalanced frequencies in general.  i still have a couple of packs and should slap them on my other guitars just to confirm my earlier experience.

Offline mariuo

« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2006, 01:07:24 PM »
yay for sgs :D the only thing that i wish epis had is the neck binding hehe plus i prefer the big pickguard instead of the small 'bat wing' hehe, but nontheless epis are great! :D

about EB, diba madali mabali ang ernie ball? :?

Offline jpadua

« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2006, 02:42:25 PM »
yay for sgs :D the only thing that i wish epis had is the neck binding hehe plus i prefer the big pickguard instead of the small 'bat wing' hehe, but nontheless epis are great! :D

about EB, diba madali mabali ang ernie ball? :?

I vowed never to use EBs again... :D  all bad experiences... First pack I bought ever years ago... upon stringing the high E string, it snapped! I changed to D'Addarios for a while... I decided to try again, same thing snapped the E string... years passed again, when I needed strings asap and no D'addarios in the store so, I said what the heck, I'll get those slinky's maybe I got a bad batch before.. and guess what... I snapped the E string while tuning... Damn... I dont want to waste my money anymore.. sorry to those EB lovers but Ive got stung more than once hehehe.

I'm an alice guy now.. hehehe

Sorry OT!!! back to topic

The only epi with the full pick guard is the G-310.  Although a totally different design (lowered stop tailpiece, fretboard deeper into body, Bolt on) to the traditional SG,  Its got the closest sound to a bonafide SG (according the review on everythingsg.com).  Looks nice too plus it's cheap.  Musician's friend has got it on sale for $200!  Bought one had it sent to a friend in the US who is coming home this december... i'm all giddy! 

This is what I bought... can't wait!

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2006, 04:26:40 PM »
Quote from: SDMF
Kaya sa tuwa ko e 10 packs pa binili ko strings (may discount din kasi). hehehe!

sa net mo ba na order ?? wala sa musicians friend e.. puro D'addario 10 packs ..

MARIUO..

sa akin hindi na mabilis ma patid yung Ernie ball, mali ko lang na corrode ako kasi hindi ko nabalik sa hard case.. anyway, setup lang ng mabuti tska tamang pag kabit ng strings..

yung G400 vintage ko may bindings hehehe .. ayos !!

:-D :-D

jpadua..

sana nag G-400 with maestro ka nalang.. tska yung gold top edition nila.. na g400

Offline jpadua

« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2006, 04:30:40 PM »
Kaya sa tuwa ko e 10 packs pa binili ko strings (may discount din kasi). hehehe!

sa net mo ba na order ?? wala sa musicians friend e.. puro D'addario 10 packs ..

MARIUO..

sa akin hindi na mabilis ma patid yung Ernie ball, mali ko lang na corrode ako kasi hindi ko nabalik sa hard case.. anyway, setup lang ng mabuti tska tamang pag kabit ng strings..

:-D :-D

jpadua..

sana nag G-400 with maestro ka nalang.. tska yung gold top edition nila.. na g400

Oks lang, I got it for my everyday gig guitar, when I have enough cash for a prize guitar.. I'll probably get a real SG... for now, I want something na, I can practically use and abuse, jump around with :D Pag nag shoot na kami ng music video, I'll be using that for sure heheh. para cute. :p

Offline mariuo

« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2006, 04:48:47 PM »

MARIUO..

pinagawa mo?! wow ganda siguro.. yun akin gusto ko palagay eh tsaka palitan yung nut na bone, at pickups ng gibson, tuners ng kluson basta green key :)) dami na haha

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Let's talk SG! (aka The SG Club)
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2006, 05:06:03 PM »
Quote from: mariuo
pinagawa mo?! wow ganda siguro.. yun akin gusto ko palagay eh tsaka palitan yung nut na bone, at pickups ng gibson, tuners ng kluson basta green key ) dami na haha

yung G400 Vintage or G400 Faded na Model naka bindings na..

naka bone nut na yung sa akin pina gawa ko kay arie .. ayos !!!, no more tuning problems..... naka grover tuners.. yung mga kluson tuners ng epiphone sg's hindi maganda.. . actually yun n nga lng kulang ko kluson tuners..vintage na vintage na.. hehehe

but i like what i have..  :-D

regarding pick ups..

i suggest mag try ka muna ng iba-iba't strings at gauges, pick up height, tone tweak.. kasi maraming factors .. lahat ito may affect sa tone ng guitar..

« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 05:12:55 PM by dantuts »

Offline jpadua

« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2006, 06:36:23 PM »
hehe ok yan ah SG club!

Offline SDMF

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2006, 10:49:11 AM »

sa guitar center bro.
napapansin ko nga yang musiciansfriend, lagi nahuhuli sa mga stocks or masyado lang sila mabilis makaubos. Ung Boss Micro BR sa 12-29-2006 pa raw sila magkakaron. samantalang sa Elderly e 1st week Nov meron na. Ung iba kasi meron na dati pa, nagkaubusan lang. Ung musiciansfriend wala talaga sila nung BOSS micro br dati pa.
Guitars:Guild S-100, G&L Climax
Amp:Mesa Boogie RA-100, Rivera KTre Reverb 120W head, , Rivera K412t cab, Marshall JCM1C 50th Anniversary

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2006, 10:57:03 AM »
ooh..SG club, pwede maka sali? I am a fan kase sa SG shape. So much in fact that 3 (4 now) of my guitars are in the SG shape even though they are of different makes. ESP Viper Custom, Gibson SG Standard (1974), and two Guild S-100s. I recently picked up a white S-100 to add the black one I've had for a few years now.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2006, 11:40:09 AM »
hehe...  yeah, i modified the thread title to SG Club since ganun na rin kinalabasan ng usapan eh.  :-)

tindi mo, abyss, 4 sa yo!   8-)

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2006, 11:46:10 AM »
absy..

post ng pics ..hehehe

SDMF..

may online shopping din ba ang guitarcenter..?? medyo hindi user friendly e.. order din ako dun.. next time..

delta.

i've been eyeing a BURNY sg.. black.. hehehe baka pabili ko sa japan yehey..

wala lang ng inggit lang..  :-D

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2006, 12:14:21 PM »
pwede pasali?

Samick G450 :D
Damage: 10k (installment)
strings: yeck alice. haha 9s daw pero they are so stiff. im a bender not a strummer.

sorry for the blurry pics. my cam sucks. sira na focus.

di rin klaro sa pics pero it has kluson tuners, neck binding and an open book headstock
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 12:30:57 PM by paengkee »