hulika

Author Topic: Listening to Dredg + Watching Eternal Sunshine...  (Read 3609 times)

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
Listening to Dredg + Watching Eternal Sunshine...
« on: January 27, 2007, 01:24:21 PM »
dredg's album "El Cielo" is rumored to be synchronized with the film Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. This might not have been an intentional synchronization, as Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was released 2 years after El Cielo. However, there is evidence for the possibility. Many lyrics on the album seem to describe the action of the movie, and there are multiple instances of direct synchronization, including:

At the train station at the beginning of the movie, Joel stutter-steps twice to the beat of "Same 'Ol Road", then starts running when the guitar fill starts.

Near the opening, where Clementine and Joel are talking on the bus, Clementine taps her hands to the drums in "Sanzen".

There is an instance both of a door opening and a door closing on both the movie and CD.

In the scene where Joel changes and swallows the pill, before being visited by the Lacuna technicians, the music picks up as the shot style increases in rapidity, then becomes soft and silent during a long shot of Joel's face after swallowing the pill.

A song "Elephant in the Delta Waves" is playing as Patrick explains to his partner about how he stole Clementine's panties as they were erasing her memory. Delta waves are brainwaves associated with deep sleep; vaguely hearing the conversation in his sleep, it upsets Joel in his memory world.

The song "△" ("Triangle") fades into silence with the movie. The song "Sorry, But It's Over" begins an aggressive guitar riff as the movie cuts from black to a picture of an angst ridden Joel behind the wheel of his car.

The opening of the song "It Only Took A Day" starts off gently with Joel and Clementine having a conversation as they walk down a street, but launches into a distorted guitar riff as they begin an argument.

Several camera cuts and scene changes take place on a drum beat, often for several beats at a time.

There are background voices talking during the opening of "The Canyon Behind Her". They speak along with the characters in the movie.

During a scene on the ice on the Charles River, an effect plays in "The Canyon Behind Her" as there is a close-up shot of Clementine grabbing Joel's hand.

There are two instances of thrashing in the movie, which are accompanied by drum crashes during "The Canyon Behind Her."

People disappear to the beat during "The Canyon Behind Her".

An effect screeches when a door opens in Dr. Mierzwiak's office, revealing a woman with a half-stretched face.

Joel walks up the steps to Dr. Mierzwiak's office in time to the clicks at the beginning of "Brushstroke: Walk In The Park".

Twice during "It Only Took A Day", the lyrics "sitting sideways" are yelled during a shot of Joel asleep on his bed.

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Listening to Dredg + Watching Eternal Sunshine...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 05:22:36 AM »
I can't seem to get into El Cielo as quickly as I did with Catch Without Arms.  I should give El Cielo a few more spins to be objective about that conclusion.

I can't wait for the new album.  Have you heard the recently released live album yet?

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 10:09:27 AM »
YUng Live at Fillmore? Di pa nga e. Sabi nga may dalawang tracks don na bago!

Offline pmack

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 07:46:56 PM »
i have to try this out...
galing mo gep!