hulika

Author Topic: Urbandub - Esoteric (2013)  (Read 4203 times)

Offline yourneighborhoodcynic

• Philmusicus Noobitus

Offline brighteyesbayside

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Urbandub - Esoteric (2013)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 09:56:03 PM »
keeping true to its album title.

i guess for one, Urbandub has the courage to not target the masses. only a specific group or demographic.

made an excel program to find the keys to a scale, and where to find them in a guitar's fretboard. http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=264555.0

Offline volcomstoner

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 10:47:48 PM »
bigat ng tugtugan nila dito..parang bumalik yung "embrace" album. been a fan since 2003..from birth to esoteric! yey!

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 08:17:13 PM »
I hope they keep using 7-string guitars (I'm 90% sure they're using it on some songs). It suits their style. Kinda like a softer Tesseract but with more ballsy vocals.

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 10:18:30 PM »
hehehe hard deftones influence. some riffs sound like something Stephen Carpenter would be proud of.

i like best ung Influence album nila.
made an excel program to find the keys to a scale, and where to find them in a guitar's fretboard. http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=264555.0

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 09:05:14 PM »
Speaking of the members, most improved is Jan2x Mendoza. Always thought his drumming was too showy and undisciplined in past albums. Remember his disastrous double bass technique in Frailty? Gone here (see Hover). One need not look further than Apparition to see how much of a mess his technique was (check his lame attempts at drum n bass).

Thankfully, he is near flawless in Esoteric.

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 09:47:27 PM »
Speaking of the members, most improved is Jan2x Mendoza. Always thought his drumming was too showy and undisciplined in past albums. Remember his disastrous double bass technique in Frailty? Gone here (see Hover). One need not look further than Apparition to see how much of a mess his technique was (check his lame attempts at drum n bass).

Never noticed that. I always thought his beats were interestingly off or outside normal. Like in math music, or math rock. Irregular, again interesting

Offline volcomstoner

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 11:33:35 PM »

Jan mendoza came from defunct rap metal band named GLITCH (cebu based din)  double peds set up talaga sya dati pa,although sa urbandub medyo tamed na yun paluan nya , pero same here, solid talaga sya sa ecotoric hehe,
pero nakakamiss din yung simpleng palo ni Sir Jerros Dolino, (birth and influence drummer)

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 12:07:37 AM »
Never noticed that. I always thought his beats were interestingly off or outside normal. Like in math music, or math rock. Irregular, again interesting
I actually like it when he does a bit of math rock in his playing. First song that comes to mind is When Heroes Die (section right after the intro). And I always thought the fills/accents he adds to songs are mostly tasteful.

Offline lil.drummerboy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 10:31:48 AM »
paborito ko yung Hover at Dim the headlights

Offline CeL1916

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 11:39:43 AM »
Haha may bagong album pala..yes!
PM Transaction References: Rmansh/Miong_Magno/Pentagram_x/Julandmic09/Vanhatred/Liway77/cyrus2477/jracz_28/ichigo02/
thenameisjm/teddy_munoz/Xelly/haha/ekoy08/kalel_23/sensei_24/lucky/drahcirnna24/r_chino/ilikecarrots

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 02:36:01 PM »

i remember hearing First of Summer ... and the bass drum has a random pattern, it is so random i think he just "jammed" with the recording, and took the feel of the song, instead of really laying down a real bass drum pattern - complicated or simple.

i was also bothered with the 16 beat hi-hats there ... it felt really loose.

reading your comment just validated my initial guess - i dont really listen to urban dub except for their radio hits. glad he improved in this album though ...

Offline samscapular

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 10:30:04 PM »
Hehe reading your comments about Janjans playing,IMO his playing style is not concentrated with execution or techniques.Its all about the ideas,sabi nga nila,oo kaya mong gayahin yung palo pero kaya mo ba isipin yung palo na yun  na ilagay sa part na yun?hehe..By the way ive been filling in for Janjan for almost 2 1/2 years and all i can say is that kayang kaya niya lagyan ng masarap na detail yung kanta,example lately sa mga songs ng dub and franco,yes he did the drumtracks in soul adventurer,yung pag gamit niya ng china cymbals sa mga butas na part..i like!:D saka napansin ko,pattern oriented siya,every verse,chorus and pag nag rolling may pattern..all in all,bawat isa sakanila sa album na to complimented each other well..:)

Sent from my Nexus 7 II using Tapatalk 2

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 10:23:14 PM »
Hehe reading your comments about Janjans playing,IMO his playing style is not concentrated with execution or techniques.Its all about the ideas,sabi nga nila,oo kaya mong gayahin yung palo pero kaya mo ba isipin yung palo na yun  na ilagay sa part na yun?hehe..By the way ive been filling in for Janjan for almost 2 1/2 years and all i can say is that kayang kaya niya lagyan ng masarap na detail yung kanta,example lately sa mga songs ng dub and franco,yes he did the drumtracks in soul adventurer,yung pag gamit niya ng china cymbals sa mga butas na part..i like!:D saka napansin ko,pattern oriented siya,every verse,chorus and pag nag rolling may pattern..all in all,bawat isa sakanila sa album na to complimented each other well..:)

Sent from my Nexus 7 II using Tapatalk 2
I agree. He's undoubtedly good with fills and patterns - he just had a habit of "doing too much" in his playing in the past. If I recall correctly, his most messy work to date is in the track Bright City Kids off The Apparition (see 2nd stanza). God, that song is a mess, drumming-wise. His effort to be creative is commendable, no doubt, but it hasn't always worked out for him.

But all that's in the past. His work in Esoteric is top-notch. The second stanza of Hover is a very good example of him adding "flavor" to a song.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 09:29:16 AM by yourneighborhoodcynic »

Offline Helmet

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 02:20:41 PM »

Offline Helmet

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 02:26:37 PM »
I hope they keep using 7-string guitars (I'm 90% sure they're using it on some songs). It suits their style. Kinda like a softer Tesseract but with more ballsy vocals.

Drop D, half step down.

Offline IvanBau

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2013, 12:21:59 PM »
ang alam ko John Dinopol used 7 strings in some songs while Lalay used 5s in some. ang hula kong song na ginamitan nila nun is yung Mantra. :)
Good Job!

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 08:04:50 PM »
Drop D, half step down.
ang alam ko John Dinopol used 7 strings in some songs while Lalay used 5s in some. ang hula kong song na ginamitan nila nun is yung Mantra.
Obvious candidates are Mantra and Stars Have Aligned.

The rest are on 6-strings.