hulika

Author Topic: What do you want to learn about recording?  (Read 310967 times)

Offline Fretduster

Re: What do you want to learn about recording?
« Reply #200 on: February 13, 2008, 12:05:05 PM »
 what would you guys recommend using?a bundled software included from audio interface you're going to buy or a retail version of software such as sonar 7,steinberg etc.?would it be confusing if you got settled first with bundled softwares and migrating to more advanced interface later on?new learning curb and familiarization of functions,controls and all that.

also I'm still confused with adat/spdif protocol funtionalities.most of the audio interfaces includes adat/spdif in/outs.i partially understood what kitc explained but its my silly mind that can't fully comprehend.thanks for your patience.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 12:09:46 PM by Fretduster »
"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might. For in the grave, where you are going, there is neither working, nor planning, nor knowledge, nor wisdom"  - Ecclesiastes 9:10

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #201 on: February 13, 2008, 12:49:52 PM »
@raki - Did you highlight all clips in the track? Are the clips muted in any way? IIRC, if you bounce a muted track, it generates a silent clip. It can be a bit difficult to post in the Cakewalk forums because they always expect you to "RTFM" on something like this... you might be suspected of using a "less than legal" copy of Sonar.

@Fretduster - usually, bundled software have upgrade paths that offer substantial discounts so this is the best way to "join the club", ika nga. Often, bundled software offer less track counts than full software but the functionality is the same. Don't worry much about adat and spdif if you don't use it much.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline Fretduster

« Reply #202 on: February 16, 2008, 09:39:14 AM »
 I heard krk's rp series monitors arent magnetically shielded.does it neccesarily mean that its a bad thing that it might get some frequency interference with other nearby devices?or placement plays a big factor when setting it up in your home studio?events are good but more expensive.vsts are great but a bit pricey imo.
"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might. For in the grave, where you are going, there is neither working, nor planning, nor knowledge, nor wisdom"  - Ecclesiastes 9:10

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #203 on: February 16, 2008, 11:10:36 AM »
I heard krk's rp series monitors arent magnetically shielded.does it neccesarily mean that its a bad thing that it might get some frequency interference with other nearby devices?

Nope.

Magnetic shielding was only included so you can position the monitors close to CRT monitors. Strong magnetic files cause image and color distortions in CRTs, in some cases magnetizing the CRT's color mask causing 'spots'. These spots can be removed by degaussing the CRT but continuous exposure to the fields can cause the color spots to become permanent. The advent of LCD monitors have made this shielding superfluous in most cases, although a lot of people still use CRTs. Moral of the story? Don't use CRTs near unshielded monitors and vice versa.

EDIT: I typed magnetic files... I meant fields. :oops:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 04:20:49 AM by KitC »
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #204 on: February 16, 2008, 06:55:23 PM »
Gave, you say? Hmmmm...

Anyway, Guitar Tracks doesn't do midi (AFAIK it's a purely audio recording program) and Cake's Instruments are vst instruments which require midi in order to trigger, so... it's basically useless for you unless you have another midi capable sequencer like Sonar or Cubase.

yes KitC.. gave.. sorry.  :lol:

thanks for the info.. ive got to get myself a sonar pro na talaga. thanks again.  :-)
The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #205 on: February 17, 2008, 04:24:24 AM »
yes KitC.. gave.. sorry.  :lol:

thanks for the info.. ive got to get myself a sonar pro na talaga. thanks again.  :-)

As long as you do the right thing...

Sonar is great for midi... same for Cubase, but I suggest mastering one software first. I've been using Cakewalk since Pro Audio 4 so you can say I'm very comfortable with the Sonar environment. If you have any Q's, just ask.

Offline dorothegreat

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #206 on: February 18, 2008, 09:36:23 PM »
sir kit, ask ko lang kung paano tanggalin ung humming/hissing sound pag ginamit ko ung amplitude2 bilang fx sa cakewalk guitar pro tracks? tnx

ginamit ko setting e ung post ni sir chito dun sa jam thread:

stomps: Overscream, delay
amp: British Tube Lead 1
eq mod: British Tube Lead 1
cab: 4 x 12 Closed Modern 1
mic: Condenser 414

salamat po  :-D

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #207 on: February 18, 2008, 09:51:03 PM »
One method would be to use a noise gate, but this can sound unnatural if you don't know how to tweak it's settings. For one thing, you want a natural decay to the signal. Secondly, a noise gate doesn't eliminate the noise altogether since it is still there but is being masked by the louder guitar signal.

Another method is to edit the noise out algorithmically. Audacity has a noise removal capability; you load the wav and sample a portion where the guitar isn't playing but noise is present... the algorithm will generate a noise profile from that portion. Highlight the rest of the wave then apply the process; the noise should be 'filtered' out. Do the process in stages, do not apply 100% processing at once since this often introduces artifacts.

Offline dorothegreat

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #208 on: February 20, 2008, 06:15:22 PM »
maraming salamat ulit sir Kit, try ko na idaan muna sa RAT ko, ok naman ung naging resulta, try ko po ung suggestion nyo. :-D

Offline Fretduster

« Reply #209 on: February 22, 2008, 07:48:07 PM »
thanks a lot sir kit.

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #210 on: February 27, 2008, 11:43:27 AM »
Question question! hehe

Hey! why is it that when I began my recording at 120bpm the meter jumped to 140bpm after two bars? weird. i opened a new project and there was no problem.

and...

what does it mean when my cpu usage turns red and a warning appears? but after a few moments of not tinkering the computer it'd go back to low cpu usage again.. does it have anything to do with low memory?

it happens when i open my ezdrummer and begin copy and pasting tracks.

btw, im using sonar7, i began two days ago.

any response appreciated. thanks guys.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #211 on: February 27, 2008, 11:56:28 AM »
Hey! why is it that when I began my recording at 120bpm the meter jumped to 140bpm after two bars? weird. i opened a new project and there was no problem.

Look in the tempo window. A tempo change has been inserted into the project.

what does it mean when my cpu usage turns red and a warning appears? but after a few moments of not tinkering the computer it'd go back to low cpu usage again.. does it have anything to do with low memory?

You might be using a plugin that imposes a heavy load on your pc while using very low latency settings; you might need to upgrade to a more powerful cpu or use a less cpu-hungry plugin. Also check that your hard disk isn't fragmented. Increasing ram will help with some processes, but not all. More ram usually helps with sample-based plugin instruments.

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #212 on: February 27, 2008, 12:01:19 PM »
Look in the tempo window. A tempo change has been inserted into the project.

You might be using a plugin that imposes a heavy load on your pc while using very low latency settings; you might need to upgrade to a more powerful cpu or use a less cpu-hungry plugin. Also check that your hard disk isn't fragmented. Increasing ram will help with some processes, but not all. More ram usually helps with sample-based plugin instruments.

oh! i get the tempo part.. i think i diddled the meter last night. I'll change my latency when i get home and maybe increase the ram. hmmm..

thanks KitC. i worship you. haha

Offline drummerboy827

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #213 on: March 17, 2008, 10:23:45 PM »
There's like a million things i want to know about recording
- like where to plug in the mics
- what are the proper mics to use
- the mixing devices
- how to properly mix the product
- how do some bands come up with wierd samples/sound effects (tool, incubus, and stuff)
"Fast practice = slow progress"
"Slow practice = fast progress"

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #214 on: March 17, 2008, 11:32:04 PM »
There's like a million things i want to know about recording
- like where to plug in the mics - a preamp
- what are the proper mics to use - depends on the situation
- the mixing devices - they're called mixers
- how to properly mix the product - normally, we use our ears
- how do some bands come up with wierd samples/sound effects (tool, incubus, and stuff) - imagination, nightmares... they usually have engineers and producers who come up with this stuff  TIP: try getting to know about sampling and sound design

Take all these one step at a time and don't be afraid to crack open manuals and articles on mixing and recording. Try to get some time in a nearby studio, but don't go in there and pester the engineer with questions; be prepared with some theory and be quiet during tracking and mixing. Above all, use your ears, not your eyes, when mixing!

Offline lynman3

« Reply #215 on: March 18, 2008, 10:27:19 PM »
Mabuhay!!!

Nabasa ko itong thread na ito starting from 2006 at medyo pahapyaw at mabilis lang kaya may mga technical post na hindi ko na masyado inintindi dahil what Im looking is some association ng mga arranger dito sa Pilipinas.

Mukhang may nangyari naman at nag karoon ng isang meeting. COngrats sa nag organize. Wala ba uli kayo na isa pang gathering para maka attend naman ako at madagdagan ang kaalaman at the same time mag share din ng nalalaman sa pag areglo, at pag produce ng mga kanta.

Kit C ikaw pinaka active dito at very informative yung iyong mga answers mo sa mga padawan.  Mabuhay ka!!!

Lynman

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #216 on: March 19, 2008, 12:38:15 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, lynman3!

There are others aside from I who also share their knowledge and experience, and they also deserve our kudos (you know who YOU are). Rest assured that we will continue sharing whatever knowledge we can, while we can.

Offline sound formula

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #217 on: April 10, 2008, 08:32:21 PM »
good day! i am bothered by pops from the monitor speakers that occur when we play the recorded tracks when we mix. it happens especially when we play the mix of songs with relatively more tracks (say, more than 20) and songs in which we use more plug-ins for. I recently added 1GB RAM because i thought this will solve the problem but unfortunately, it didn't. my present set-up is an Intel dual core processor 2.8GHz, 2GB RAM, 64MB Video Card. I use an M-Audio Delta 1010LT PCI Recording Interface and my software is Sony Vegas 6. It really bothers me when the pops occur. Could you please help me remedy this? Thank you.

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #218 on: April 11, 2008, 06:38:32 AM »
that's probably because you're maxing out your computer's CPU horsepower. try increasing the buffer for your sound card -- it will introduce more latency, but the pops and clicks should be gone, assuming the audio was correctly recorded.
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #219 on: April 11, 2008, 08:05:07 PM »
yung mga plugins ang pumatay sa pc mo...

Offline kaloyster

• GOLD MEMBER
  • Board Moderator
« Reply #220 on: April 12, 2008, 11:27:44 AM »
I want to learn how to tweak MIDI drum plugins so they sound real.
"Bulakenyo"? Then join Bulacan Music Facebook Group!

Offline sound formula

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #221 on: April 12, 2008, 12:40:40 PM »
thanks skin and mr. querido. mr. querido, pardon my ignorance but what do you mean by increasing my sound card's buffer and how do i do that? thanks so much.

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #222 on: April 14, 2008, 04:37:20 PM »
I want to learn how to tweak MIDI drum plugins so they sound real.

buy toontrack's ezdrummer...

Offline kaloyster

• GOLD MEMBER
  • Board Moderator
« Reply #223 on: April 14, 2008, 07:47:14 PM »
Yep skin, that's on my plan already. But for the meantime, I just want to know, hindi naman necessary na "bassy" ang drum track diba? and talagang backing track lang ito? Kasi nakasanayan kong napapakinggan sa rap songs na mas malakas ang drums, kaya medyo may pinagtatalunan kami ng bandmates ko pag drums na ang imini-mix.
"Bulakenyo"? Then join Bulacan Music Facebook Group!

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #224 on: April 14, 2008, 08:18:37 PM »
Yep skin, that's on my plan already. But for the meantime, I just want to know, hindi naman necessary na "bassy" ang drum track diba? and talagang backing track lang ito? Kasi nakasanayan kong napapakinggan sa rap songs na mas malakas ang drums, kaya medyo may pinagtatalunan kami ng bandmates ko pag drums na ang imini-mix.

baka mawala ang balance pag nag-aaway kayo...siyempre kung guitarist ka gusto malakas ang guitar sa mix...para di kayo mag-away, let the professionals do it...