hulika

Author Topic: "Albert King can blow Eddie Van Halen away with two notes"  (Read 5339 times)

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: "Albert King can blow Eddie Van Halen away with two notes"
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2010, 04:24:56 PM »
I remember Richie Blackmore once said that EVH is such a great guitar player that no matter what happens, no matter what you say and no matter how hard or bad you criticize Eddie, you just can't put a good man down. :-D
"Check out how Eddie Van Halen doesn’t pick his fast notes with all the same boring velocity. He makes most of his fast licks almost funky by picking some notes harder than others." - Jason Becker

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2010, 04:32:29 PM »
Here's what Blackmore had to say about SRV:

GW: What did you think of Stevie Ray Vaughan?

BLACKMORE: I knew that question was coming. His death was very tragic, but I'm surprised that everybody thinks he was such a brilliant player when there are people like Buddy Guy, Albert Collins, Peter Green and Mick Taylor; Johnny Winter, who is one of the best blues players in the world, is also very underrated. His vibrato is incredible.
Stevie Ray Vaughan was very intense. Maybe that's what caught everybody's attention. As a player, he didn't do anything amazing.

..and here's what he had to say about Yngwie:

GW: What do you think of Yngwie Malmsteen? He's often credited you as an influence.

BLACKMORE: He's always been very nice to me, and I always get on very well with him. I don't understand him, though - his playing, what he wears. His movements are also a bit creepy. Normally you say, "Well, the guy's just an idiot." But, when you hear him play you think, "That guy's no idiot. He knows what he's doing." He's got to calm down. He's not Paganini - though he thinks he is. When Yngwie can break all of his strings but one, and play the same piece on one string, then I'll be impressed.
In three or four years, we'll probably hear some good stuff from him.

..haha..natawa lang ako, especially dun sa comment nya kay Yngwie.."he's not Paganini-though he thinks he is"..haha..classic..

"Check out how Eddie Van Halen doesn’t pick his fast notes with all the same boring velocity. He makes most of his fast licks almost funky by picking some notes harder than others." - Jason Becker

Offline boogsy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2010, 04:37:52 PM »
Here's what Blackmore had to say about SRV:

GW: What did you think of Stevie Ray Vaughan?

BLACKMORE: I knew that question was coming. His death was very tragic, but I'm surprised that everybody thinks he was such a brilliant player when there are people like Buddy Guy, Albert Collins, Peter Green and Mick Taylor; Johnny Winter, who is one of the best blues players in the world, is also very underrated. His vibrato is incredible.
Stevie Ray Vaughan was very intense. Maybe that's what caught everybody's attention. As a player, he didn't do anything amazing.

..and here's what he had to say about Yngwie:

GW: What do you think of Yngwie Malmsteen? He's often credited you as an influence.

BLACKMORE: He's always been very nice to me, and I always get on very well with him. I don't understand him, though - his playing, what he wears. His movements are also a bit creepy. Normally you say, "Well, the guy's just an idiot." But, when you hear him play you think, "That guy's no idiot. He knows what he's doing." He's got to calm down. He's not Paganini - though he thinks he is. When Yngwie can break all of his strings but one, and play the same piece on one string, then I'll be impressed.
In three or four years, we'll probably hear some good stuff from him.

..haha..natawa lang ako, especially dun sa comment nya kay Yngwie.."he's not Paganini-though he thinks he is"..haha..classic..

interesting. Coming from a guy who is now stuck in the medieval ages  :-D:

Music is perpetual, and only the hearing is intermittent.

Offline boogsy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2010, 04:45:28 PM »
Shades of the SRV vs Yngwie thread.   :-D  I'll defend the EVH side, just because the bluezguy seem to get a lot of lop-sided favor in these kinds of threads (on a guitar forum no less).  Well, not really taking sides, since I'd listen to both.

Ganito lang views ko dyan.  Strict blues in large doses can also get boring.  It's also prone to overplaying from the guitar players.  Sure, the blues 'kings' are legends in their own right, but I also can't listen to it for extended hours.

Second, they chose to do what they do.  Go back in time to their youth, make Albert King or SRV take up neo-classical shred, then make EVH or Yngwie take blues to heart.  It takes the same amount of skill and effort to get to where they are right now.  Astig pareho para saken.

About "Just plays fast"...  :roll: :roll: well that's only what you hear.  There's an equal amount of nuances compared to when you hear a bent vibrato or a timed pause or good phrasing in a blues player.  There is also texture and richness of detail to hear in the EVH sonic palette.

Very good points. It does get tiring for me too, and I always thought that SRV was sometimes a little too intense despite being a big blues fan myself. That said, I dont think I can listen to the same kind of guitar oriented music for days on end.

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2010, 05:31:06 PM »
Very good points. It does get tiring for me too, and I always thought that SRV was sometimes a little too intense despite being a big blues fan myself. That said, I dont think I can listen to the same kind of guitar oriented music for days on end.
Haha ever listen to some Celtic Frost?  I only listen for a few minutes at a time, it's like an espresso shot to me.  Then I look for Bob Marley music to balance out.   :-D
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline obetski

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2010, 09:10:38 AM »

...Albert King wouldn't blow anybody at all if he were to sub EVH in VH.., same when people booed steve vai when he took Yngwie's vacancy in Alcatrazz.  And yes, YJM do blow up countless classics..but that's just his style and he wouldn't apologize for that "less is less and more is more" motto in guitar playing.  Stevie ray and moreover, Bonamassa play tons of notes in blues, but no one argues with the fact that they were great.

the right person in the right band and music setting is what always counts for me.

Agree... put Albert king in VH and see if he can even last two songs..

its not right to compare apples to oranges.. I do love both Albert king and VH, but to compare and decide who's better is simply not fitting
my song that' being aired in Sydney

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2010, 09:12:30 AM »
can we just get along ang play music?

.... music is not a contest.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2010, 09:44:30 AM »
can we just get along ang play music?

.... music is not a contest.

yeah. just let them be what they wanna be, and if they do suck for us, let us not listen :-D
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
EVH is so "average" now.  :D

I guess we should start seeing people like John Mayer dissing Tiago Della Vega.

Offline boogsy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2010, 10:42:37 AM »
Again guys, I didnt start this thread to compare. If you read the earlier posts, my follow-up question was - what do you think about guitarists who "overplay"?

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2010, 03:51:05 PM »
Well, it actually depends...

I belong to the schoold of thought that every single note should count.  There are songs that would require a lot of them to get a point across while a single or few notes would suffice in some.  In "Dreams", EVH started off with a few but very melodic notes and then unleashes a flurry of them towards the end.  Everything fit, made a point and I cannot see it being done any other way that would have the same effective result.  In the same vein, I cannot imagine Clapton's 2 minute, 1 note bend at the Royal Alber Hall being any more gut wrenching if not done the same way.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that the number of notes is dependent on how much the song calls for.  We cannot always be playings a ton of notes that only say one thing.  That is akin to someone who talks nonsensical and redundantly.  The same would apply to situations that needs obe ro fully expound  and express himself.  "Talk" too little and no one will get your point. 

Having said all that I agree that A. King can blow away EVH just as much as EVH can blow away A. King in certain instances.

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2010, 03:58:51 PM »
Well, it actually depends...

I belong to the schoold of thought that every single note should count.  There are songs that would require a lot of them to get a point across while a single or few notes would suffice in some.  In "Dreams", EVH started off with a few but very melodic notes and then unleashes a flurry of them towards the end.  Everything fit, made a point and I cannot see it being done any other way that would have the same effective result.  In the same vein, I cannot imagine Clapton's 2 minute, 1 note bend at the Royal Alber Hall being any more gut wrenching if not done the same way.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that the number of notes is dependent on how much the song calls for.  We cannot always be playings a ton of notes that only say one thing.  That is akin to someone who talks nonsensical and redundantly.  The same would apply to situations that needs obe ro fully expound  and express himself.  "Talk" too little and no one will get your point. 

Having said all that I agree that A. King can blow away EVH just as much as EVH can blow away A. King in certain instances.

let them BLOW each other LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2010, 08:09:22 PM »
EVH is so "average" now:D

I guess we should start seeing people like John Mayer dissing Tiago Della Vega.

Excuse me? I beg to disagree..

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2010, 09:58:31 PM »
feature=related

Offline shkc

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2010, 10:03:43 PM »
here are my thoughts on this:

EVH can probably play like Albert King if he should choose to... chances are pretty high that he can emulate the technique.

However if the situations were reversed, I doubt Albert King could do what EVH does.  :-)

nasapol nyo sir  :-D

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2010, 12:32:19 AM »
feature=related
I like how she sway like a snake..... very provocative.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline Sugar Ray Vaughan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2010, 04:34:45 AM »
Wow, the thread title sounds GAY... Thanks to Joe Walsh, Albert King literally became a c0cksucker...
スキャンダル ★ 小野春菜

Offline tamad

• Veteran Member
For Sale: Tube Zone, Kalamazoo[antiqued chrome] (with soundclips!)
http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,195539.0.html
 You have to focus on what makes u happy about urself. You're the only person you need to please. -Lauren Conrad