hulika

Author Topic: SPDIF on your motherboard  (Read 651 times)

Offline nolit

• Veteran Member
SPDIF on your motherboard
« on: April 19, 2011, 09:37:08 AM »
I have been exploring spdifs on my audio interface lately. Once opened up my PC I realized my motherboard has spdif out for its onboard audio card. It was just sitting there on the board without offering us to use it. So how can we use the digital audio out from our onboard soundcard of our motherboard?

You can connect it via optical or via rca/coaxial cable.
Optical cables are a bit more expensive so I opted for rca/coaxial.

Simple get a audio cable from your cdrom drive (usually it comes with the box along with your cdrom drive and they dont install this anymore). One end of this fits comfortably on the spdif out on your motherboard. Now all you have to do is fix the other end to solder on a female rca jack and get one of those brackets you use at the back of your pc where you normally install pci boards and fit it. You can rumage on some old junk pc parts, they have these brackets with rca plugs. Here are some photos to help.

The vcc is used if you want to connect an optical cable/lightpipe. Ona a coaxial, simply follow the ground to the rca plug ground and the data pin to the rca core.

Just hope this helps.

Offline nolit

• Veteran Member
Re: SPDIF on your motherboard
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 09:44:14 AM »
BTW, you will have to fix the audio cable from 4 pin to 3 pin. tabas tabas lang.