hulika

Author Topic: Club 98 - The DEAD-SOUNDING PRS Thread **Top 2% Guitars NOT ALLOWED**  (Read 14092 times)

Offline af_villaruel

• Forum Fanatic
On "hiyaw": I've always thought that hiyaw comes from the pleasant harmonics produced by a certain combination of guitar components (esp. tonewoods used) resonating at different frequencies when the strings are struck. I could be wrong. I'm not an expert on this.

Maybe the 2% is a statistical exaggeration. But then again, I don't know. At any rate, coming up with the right permutation of tonewoods, electronics, and hardware resulting in "hiyaw" is indeed a RARE thing. Moreover, having the ears to detect hiyaw is another thing.

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
On "hiyaw": I've always thought that hiyaw comes from the pleasant harmonics produced by a certain combination of guitar components (esp. tonewoods used) resonating at different frequencies when the strings are struck. I could be wrong. I'm not an expert on this.

Maybe the 2% is a statistical exaggeration. But then again, I don't know. At any rate, coming up with the right permutation of tonewoods, electronics, and hardware resulting in "hiyaw" is indeed a RARE thing. Moreover, having the ears to detect hiyaw is another thing.

Some folks on the other hand say they have "felt" it on their hands than heard it with their ears.
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline albumin

• Forum Fanatic
Hay. Meow lang kaya ng geetars ko :( sad.

In response to the hiyaw concept, I think that it is good to have a standard that high to further distinguish which is actually good, if not the best, from which is not. However, what's the good in it as as standard if it cannot be understood nor be easily recognizable by the public? I think kaya nagiging farce ang pagtingin ng mga tao sa concept kasi masyadong abstract yung dating. Add the factor of subjectivity into play, lalong nagiging bizarre yung concept.
Ibanez GRGA11 - Buskers Tele - Vox Pathfinder 15R - Maxon GX10

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
Hay. Meow lang kaya ng geetars ko :( sad.

In response to the hiyaw concept, I think that it is good to have a standard that high to further distinguish which is actually good, if not the best, from which is not. However, what's the good in it as as standard if it cannot be understood nor be easily recognizable by the public? I think kaya nagiging farce ang pagtingin ng mga tao sa concept kasi masyadong abstract yung dating. Add the factor of subjectivity into play, lalong nagiging bizarre yung concept.

I think hiyaw directly benefits the player which indirectly benefits the audience.

Guitar has hiyaw > Player gets more inspired > Player plays cleaner/sweeter > Audience gets a better listening experience

I think as an audience member it would be very hard to hear hiyaw through the band mix so I don't really expect hiyaw to benefit the audience directly.

Having said that, it can actually be argued that "the fingers" actually limit the gear in a very direct way.

Hiyaw can't cure sucky playing that is for sure.

EDIT:

Sabagay may impact parin naman pala:

Guitar has hiyaw > Player gets more inspired > Player sucks less on guitar > Audience gets a better listening experience
 :-D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 01:28:30 PM by Skybox »
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline knet370

can "hiyaw" be considered in great playing guitars out of the box? based on a player or buyers preference.

-action is perfect on the buyers "preference".
-no buzzing. have great sustain.
-guitar's pickups suit players preference on tone
-etc etc

if so, i may have a couple of guitars that has "hiyaw" :) hehe

but what about guitars that didnt play great at first, but then after an excellent setup and a few electronic upgrades and changes, can have a chance to have "hiyaw"?

ex: players brings it to lets say their most trusted luthier. luthier performs an immaculate setup/fixes. player plays it. player loved how it turned out. it now sustains great. plays great. sounds great (thru upgrades), etc..

if so, i may have  more guitars that have "hiyaw" than i have ever thought. more like all of them have "hiyaw" right after a setup is performed by my go to luthier. upgrades included.

but i may be wrong though in so many aspects.
1. i dont have an idea what hiyaw really is
2. i have poor taste in tone
3. i dont know how to play a guitar

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
can "hiyaw" be considered in great playing guitars out of the box? based on a player or buyers preference.

-action is perfect on the buyers "preference".
-no buzzing. have great sustain.
-guitar's pickups suit players preference on tone
-etc etc

if so, i may have a couple of guitars that has "hiyaw" :) hehe

but what about guitars that didnt play great at first, but then after an excellent setup and a few electronic upgrades and changes, can have a chance to have "hiyaw"?

ex: players brings it to lets say their most trusted luthier. luthier performs an immaculate setup/fixes. player plays it. player loved how it turned out. it now sustains great. plays great. sounds great (thru upgrades), etc..

if so, i may have  more guitars that have "hiyaw" than i have ever thought. more like all of them have "hiyaw" right after a setup is performed by my go to luthier. upgrades included.

but i may be wrong though in so many aspects.
1. i dont have an idea what hiyaw really is
2. i have poor taste in tone
3. i dont know how to play a guitar

Here's a good guide you can use to check.  :-D

1) Rich sounding notes with overtones that reinforce the fundamental --
a
> > three dimensional soundstage whether in clean or overdriven mode.
> > 2) Pick attack defined versus the sustaining note.
> > 3) When a string is bent, the note for a time drops in volume but
suddenly
> > increases in volume at the top of the bend. Even louder than the initial
> > pick attack volume. The bent note at the top of the bend is punchy and
> > powerful not flat or weak.
> > 4) Chordal volume does not drown the guitar when you suddenly switch to
a
> > lick or riff.
> > 5) When you constantly bend and release a note, the guitar weeps and
wails
> > as if there was a subtle wah-wah effect.
> > 6) Balanced volume across all strings.
> > 7) So soft to play even with heavy gauges as if you were playing one
gauge
> > lighter.  The guitar reacts to every playing nuance.  It can be subtle
and
> > mean when you want it to depending on your technique.
> > 8) Can punch thru a band with a bass player, another rhythm guitar
player
> > and a keyboard player without having to compete on an amp volume basis.
> > 9) Notes on the upper frets do not sound thin and choked.
> > 10) Most importantly, the guitar magically surprises you everytime you
> > play because it produces different sounds e.g. squeals, picking nuances,
> > etc.

#DigitalHiyaw

Offline knet370

^ who made that guideline?

Offline knet370

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNbYwPOA10E

does this have hiyaw characteristics to it?

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
pag nanunuod ka ng mga youtube vids like andertons or guitar show...malalaman mo yung expression ng mga players kung medyo nagsasalita sa kanila yung mga gitara...
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
^ who made that guideline?

He who must not be named = Mr. OAS himself
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNbYwPOA10E

does this have hiyaw characteristics to it?

The best person to ask is Jason. *wink*
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline knet370

The best person to ask is Jason. *wink*

jason richardson? if yes, he already said that rick's leadtone is sweet on his AMA. infact, funny thing is, i tried rick's lead patch on my fractal and it squuueeaaalllssss. :)

Offline knet370

He who must not be named = Mr. OAS himself

to be fair, some of it makes sense. but can also be achieved by a good setup plus upgrades. plus a good amp. plus a good "tones is in the fingers". :)

Offline albumin

• Forum Fanatic
I think hiyaw directly benefits the player which indirectly benefits the audience.

Guitar has hiyaw > Player gets more inspired > Player plays cleaner/sweeter > Audience gets a better listening experience

I think as an audience member it would be very hard to hear hiyaw through the band mix so I don't really expect hiyaw to benefit the audience directly.

Having said that, it can actually be argued that "the fingers" actually limit the gear in a very direct way.

EDIT:

Guitar has hiyaw > Player gets more inspired > Player sucks less on guitar > Audience gets a better listening experience

Thank you for that wonderful insight. :D However, you might have misunderstood what I meant of "hiyaw" being understood by the public. (I'm not so good with my play of words so please forgive me) In the aforementioned phrase, I'm not pertaining to the listeners of the guitar player but rather, I'm pertaining to the experience of another player given the usage of that guitar with "hiyaw." If we are to have a standard for the cream of the crop of all the guitars in the market, it should go without saying that the experience of one player with those guitars should be consistent, if not the same, to that of another player even with extreme differences in their guitar playing proficiency.

The problem is, we cannot simply make a benchmarking of each guitar players' experiences because of their given bias or subjectivity to the concept. Kaya para sakin, mejo mahirap talagang patunayan yung "hiyaw" sa mga gitara.
Ibanez GRGA11 - Buskers Tele - Vox Pathfinder 15R - Maxon GX10

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
Thank you for that wonderful insight. :D However, you might have misunderstood what I meant of "hiyaw" being understood by the public. (I'm not so good with my play of words so please forgive me) In the aforementioned phrase, I'm not pertaining to the listeners of the guitar player but rather, I'm pertaining to the experience of another player given the usage of that guitar with "hiyaw." If we are to have a standard for the cream of the crop of all the guitars in the market, it should go without saying that the experience of one player with those guitars should be consistent, if not the same, to that of another player even with extreme differences in their guitar playing proficiency.

The problem is, we cannot simply make a benchmarking of each guitar players' experiences because of their given bias or subjectivity to the concept. Kaya para sakin, mejo mahirap talagang patunayan yung "hiyaw" sa mga gitara.

Yup. Most of us here agree with you bro.
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus

EDIT:

Eh bakit pinagmamalaki mo pa ang mga napili mong Tokai MIC na gitara kung kaya pala idaan sa kamay?  Great Playing can't cure sucky tone too.  In fact, the audience rather hear less of you because of painful tone.

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
Eh bakit pinagmamalaki mo pa ang mga napili mong Tokai MIC na gitara kung kaya pala idaan sa kamay?  Great Playing can't cure sucky tone too.  In fact, the audience rather hear less of you because of painful tone.

Yup. I agree. That's why you need BOTH a screaming guitar AND awesome chops. If you only have 1 out of 2 then you have to work your a** off either to buy gear or improve your playing.

Gear + skills = Rapsa
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
Yup. I agree. That's why you need BOTH a screaming guitar AND awesome chops. If you only have 1 out of 2 then you have to work your a** off either to buy gear or improve your playing.

Gear + skills = Rapsa

Agree...

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
Agree...

As I look back at the past 10 years of gear slutting, I realized that I pissed away a lot of money on multis and 10k-20k guitars. If I could go back in time I would save all that money and just buy a decent guitar and a decent tube amp and then spend my time building chops instead. I guess it's never too late to start though.
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline rowley75

• Philmusicus Addictus
Agree...

Gear + skills = Rapsa

SA WAKAS!!! WORLD PEACE!!!
Live by honor, Kill by stealth.

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
SA WAKAS!!! WORLD PEACE!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! **Sitting around the camp fire singing Kum ba ya**
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
As I look back at the past 10 years of gear slutting, I realized that I pissed away a lot of money on multis and 10k-20k guitars. If I could go back in time I would save all that money and just buy a decent guitar and a decent tube amp and then spend my time building chops instead. I guess it's never too late to start though.

true!!! I also wish I did this during the 90's especially with guitars
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
true!!! I also wish I did this during the 90's especially with guitars

Seriously man, I wish I just saved up for an Am. Std. Strat, a Princeton and a nice couch.
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
Seriously man, I wish I just saved up for an Am. Std. Strat, a Princeton and a nice couch.

mismooooo!!! by this time, road worn na road worn na siya..hehe

*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
mismooooo!!! by this time, road worn na road worn na siya..hehe

Yan mismo yung gusto kong couch sa Greenbelt!!!
#DigitalHiyaw