hulika

Author Topic: The bar drums - a reference thread (#-J)  (Read 46620 times)

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
The bar drums - a reference thread (#-J)
« on: January 29, 2007, 03:34:33 PM »
Disclaimer: Please, please, PLEASE, bring your own drumsticks, drum tuning key, and extra cymbal felts/sleeves. As a tip, electrical tape can serve as a good felt/sleeve substitute.

19 East, Sucat
Virtually, you don't need to bring anything except your sticks.  Everything here is HIGH-END!  This place is drummer heaven!  It's my favorite venue to perform in.  Read their technical rider here --- http://www.19east.com/19east/index.php?pg=technicalrider .  Look for my 19 East photos and blog stories in my blogsite.  The Gretsch Vinnie Colaiuta Signature Drumkit and the Yamaha high-end kits with all those high-end Zildjians... yes, that's true.  You have to visit the place to believe it.  World class!
What you need to bring: none.
(reviewed by drumster)

Last time i played there, Drumkit is a Gretsch Vinnie Colaiuta Signature (Remo Pinstripe Heads), the snare is a 14x5.5 DW (d ko din alam ung model hehe pero high-end snare) Gretsch 10x3.5 Accent snare (madaming snare dun 3 yata so pwede ka mamili sabihin mo lng sa tech hehe).

Cymbals: A set of Sabian cymbals (ung ride mejo walang bell sound, pero if you're particular with the bell pwede ka magpalit ng cymbals meron silang nakatago dun) before meron silang China pero may crack na yata.
Hardware: The pedal is DW d ko lam ung model eh, Gibraltar hardware na may extra 4 clamps so you can bring your China and Splash  (the parts of the kit are all mic-ed).
May isa pa silang kit: Yamaha Dave Weckl Signature (Pero bihira na nila gamitin to eh) same hardware  
..sabi nga, 19 East is the drummers' paradise! Sarap tumugtog dito!
What you need to bring: drumsticks!
(reviewed by wilpredo)

Al's Bar, Paranaque
Ludwig drums (newer, lower mid-end model).
Drums: 12 mounted tom, 16 floor tom, 14 snare, 22 bass.  There's also a 13 mounted tom hidden somewhere.  Everything seems to be in working condition, no significant issues. The snare sounds muffled, so you might want to bring your own if you're choosy about your sound. Toms are unmuffled, so they resonate real long. As of March 7, '07, they just changed the batter head on the 22 bass.  All hardware works fine.
Cymbals: 20 Scimitar ride & 14 Planet Z hats. The Planet Z hats are broken, so you might want to bring your own. There is no crash, so you might want to bring one too. The ride is fine, and can also work as a crash.
What you need to bring: hihats, crash, and snare drum.
(reviewed by iñigo)
Drumset is Ludwig (mid or low-end model) 12, 13, and 16 toms, 14x5.5 snare, 22 kick, stock heads except for the kick (Remo Pinstripe na yata to). The heads are pretty old and and dami nang lubog so tuning nlng cguro ang kelangan.
Cymbals: 14 Planet Z Hi-hats (parang crumpled paper na 'to hehe) and 20 Scimitar Ride (ok pa).
Hardware: Ludwig Hi-hat stand and straight cymbal stand (working condition pa naman 'to), snare stand, drum throne is working, ung pedal mejo hindi ok.  
What you need to bring: cymbal stand, hi-hat and crash cymbals, pedal, snare (medyo hindi ok tunog ng snare eh), drum key.
(reviewed by wilpredo)

Aruba Bar, Tomas Morato branch
Kit - Old Premier (dunno what model, pero yung mga made in England pa) with 12" (maybe 13") rack tom and 16" floor. Last time I was there (about more than a week ago) may punit parin yung batter head ng floor tom. Dunno about the other tom, I never asked if anyone uses the conventional 5-piece setup. Snare is decent, although ni-remedyuhan nalang yung throw-off. Bass drum sounds nice.
Hardware - Two cymbal stands, one hi-hat stand. No sleeves, felt washers kulang narin. If you're bringing cymbals, it's best to bring your own cymbal sleeves. Kulang narin ng felt yung sa hi-hat stand. Bass drum pedal is a stock Premier that is kinda wobbly. Snare stand niya hindi na natataas (loose thread). Same goes for the hi-hat stand. Throne is ok, it just make a creaky sound when you move around.
Cymbals - 17" A Rock Crash (with a HUGE crack around the bell, around half the cymbal), 20" K Custom Dry Ride (looks very old, but sounds good, particularly in jazz settings), 13" Sabian Fusion Hats (dunno which model, i'm not familiar with Sabians, pero parang yung Quick Beat ng Zildjian)
What you need to bring: Crash cymbal, cymbal sleeves, hi-hat stand, snare stand, bass drum pedal

*Note: This was as of last week. That time I was there though, the owner of the bar was also there and I showed him the cracked crash cymbal and the slight tear on the floor tom head. He said he'd replace them, so maybe he did, I dunno. If someone goes there, please update.
(reviewed by bugoy_king)

Bagaberde Bar, Pasay
A nice Yamaha Stage Custom maple kit surrounded fiberglass, stock heads but tuned well... bass drum head very.... ehem VERY loose! bawat padjak mo biglang lubog... pero luckily magaling ung technician ng bar na un... ganda ng tunog ng bass drum.... 13" A Custom hihat, 18" edge crash, A ride... ok din ung snare niya... Pearl na snare un hindi ko lang matandaan kung anong type...
What you need to bring: basically none... cguro drumstick lang ok ka na... or pedal na rin... mejo tight ung configuration nung pedal dun eh...
(reviewed by glynminded)

Bar42, Tomas Morato (across Purple Haze)
The drumkit is a new wine-red Sonor 507 with stock heads and standard sizes. The snare and mic-ed bass drum sound good with minor adjustments, but the toms need a bit more tuning. The hardware's all Sonor (200 series), and they're in good condition. The ride stand's generic though, and the boom arm kinda bows against your will. The cymbals are all Planet Z which are in good condition, but who wouldn't replace these?
What you need to bring: a complete set of better cymbals, and a ride stand or cymbal arm.
(reviewed by sjon014)

BF Club, BF Homes Parañaque
A 6-Piece Green Gretsch Drumset (8,10,12,14 toms, 14x5.5 wood snare, 22 Kick). Di ko din alam ung model hehe sorry pero bago lang ung set! All stock pero A-ok tumunog, naka-mic ung kick.  
Hardware: 2 functional Gibraltar cymbal stands and hi-hat stand, Gibraltar pedal, drum throne is ok
Cymbals: a set of Zildjian ZBT (ung mas bago) pero alam ko requirement yata na magdala ng sariling set ng cymbals dun, i'm not sure..  
What you need to bring: set of cymbals.
(reviewed by wilpredo)

Bridgeway Bar, Brickwalk, Sta. Lucia East Mall, Cainta
Old Black Fernando kit (rock sizes) with a coated Ambassador on the snare and Pinstripes on the toms. The drums sound good, if not a little too muffled due to the Pinstripes. The set is unmiced. BAD and WOBBLY generic pedal, generic snare stand with adjustable height, but unadjustable cradle (my 13" snare was teetering over the stand), and a generic but decent hi-hat stand with a switch on the clutch (What do you call these clutches again?) to quickly close the hats. One excellent boom stand is provided, and I was disappointed that the second stand is an old straight stand literally taped together (DO NOT USE THIS. My ride fell when the mounting screw gave way. It was TAPED to the stand!) Hats are okay. 13" ZBTs. The only other cymbal is a 20" Planet Z Ride.
What you need to bring: bass drum pedal, extra cymbal stands, cymbal set, and a snare stand if your snare isn't 14".
(reviewed by sjon014)

Caliente Bar, Malate
Pearl 2001 Session Series SRX maple drums, 10",12",14" tom naka drum mic. Then 12" A Special Recording hats. 20" A crash ride, Eliminator single pedal. Nakalimutan ko kung anong klaseng Pearl ung drums, pero high end sya ng Pearl, nice snare and nice sound nung drums, all you need to bring is crash kasi basag na ung crash dun.
What you need to bring: crash.
(reviewed by jcbska)

Capones Bistro, Makati
22" Fernando bass drum (ok sound kse nka mic sya) 10", 14" toms, (ung 10" tom is wiggling, sira ung lock nya.. ung floor tom walang skin sa ilalim so deal with it or bring your own floor toms hahaha) snare is a Sonor 14" x 5.5"  (di ko lam kng anong model pero nice and crisp ung sound nya) all heads are Remo.
Cymbals: a ZBT hi-hat (bottom hat is crumpled), lahat ng cymbals dun dapat tinapon na literally!  2 crashes and the ride, Solid! d lang crack it was already torn to pieces hahaha so yun!
Hardware: hi-hat stand, 2 straight cymbal stand and 1 boom stand (all working condition) Drum throne is ok! pedal is a Gibraltar (not sure what model pero ok)
What you need to bring: set of cymbals: hi-hat, crash, ride! Bring floor tom din if you can! haha
(reviewed by wilpredo)

Center For Arts, Timog[/b]
Black Sonor 505 kit, standard rock setup. A steel 14" snare, 12", 13", and 16" toms, and a 22" bass drum make up the kit. Stock heads, Sonor Pedal, and Sonor Hi-hat Stand. The hi-hats are Planet Z, and so is the Ride. Both are in OK condition, but they don't sound too great. The ride has a decent ping though. The crash is a cracked Planet Z. Both pedals are still okay, but have been overused to a point that the silver paint on the pedal footboards are gone. The bass pedal is slightly wobbly. There's no drum throne too if you're particular with that.
What you need to bring: hihats, crash, and ride are a must. You can opt to bring a better snare, bass pedal, and a throne too if you want.
(reviewed by sjon014)

Chakik's Musicians Bar, Ortigas[/b]
Drumset is Pearl Export Select ELX Sunburst Color (10,12,14 toms, 14x5.5 Steel Snare, 22 Kick) with Pearl ProTone Drumheads (ok sound).  
Hardware: 2 Pearl cymbal Stands, Pearl hi-hat stand (problem lng sa hi-hat stand is wala nang thread ung screw para maadjust ung height, solution is bring electric tape hehe), snare stand, drum pedal is Pearl (I'm not sure what model, pero oks gamitin), drum throne is Pearl (working condition)
Cymbals: hi-hats(14) and ride(20)  are Zildjian ZBT's (ung unang ZBT model), crash(16) i think it's a Zildjian A-custom i'm not sure pero ok lahat ng Cymbals.  
What you need to bring: actually sticks lng pero if you're particular with you're sound, cymbals nlng cguro.  
(reviewed by wilpredo)

Chaquico's Musician's Bar, Makati
Noble and Cooley 5 piece kit, Zildjian cymbals. Nice kit, but heads are old and the stage that the set is on makes the snare drum and hi-hat rock from side to side. Bring your own throne and bass drum pedal, cuz the ones there are weird feeling. I always brought my snare, and cymbals and extra stands as well...
What you need to bring: throne and bass pedal.
(reviewed by drummer10630)

Club V, Mile Long, Makati
What do you get when you cross a perfectly good 90's Pearl Export with a full set of Century drumheads? Answer: A bad kit. That's what Club V's drumset is all about. The whole set is very badly maintained, with rusted hardware and dented heads on the whole set, and  unfortunately, the snare's the worst. The snare wires are ripped from the bracket, I had to duct tape them to the head just to get any semblance of a snare sound. It's missing a couple of lugs too so tuning is going to be impossible. The toms sound better, but not by much. The bass drum has an aging century head on the batter side, but by all means is the best sounding drum in the kit.
The hardware is composed of a straight pearl stand which has an unadjustable cymbal tilter set at around 45 degrees from the top (For someone who mounts their crashes straight, it's a big problem), a more friendly boom stand, a working Pearl hi-hat stand with a broken clutch, and a very bad generic pedal. It's double chain, but it's set very low, gets stuck, and has delay in the mechanism. Bad.
The kit has a redeeming quality though. The cymbals are all B8's: Med-thin hats, a thin crash, and a ride. They are as dirty as the rest of the kit, but they're surprisingly in good condition.
Long review. Sorry, I was a bit frustrated. I usually bring my snare and pedal, but I heard that the house kit was an Export so I left them at home. A very bad decision indeed. The bar could really make the kit sound much better SIMPLY by buying better skins and new snare wires on the Export snare.
What you need to bring: Absolutely bring a snare, hi-hat clutch, and a bass pedal. Bring stands if you can. Heck, bringing your whole kit isn't a bad idea!
(reviewed by sjon014)

Cosmo Bar, Greenhills
The drumkit is a 5-piece Gretsch Catalina (not sure if it's the Catalina Ash model) 8", 9", 14" toms,  22" kick, 5" X 14" snare. All stock heads pero ok ung tuning, ung snare lng mejo kelangan i-tune. All parts of the drums are mic-ed and is surrounded by fiberglass.
Cymbals: A set of ZBT cymbals
Hardware: Straight, boom and hi-hat stands, all in great working condition (no wobbles). Drum throne is perfectly useable, I'm not sure what pedals they have kse when we played may pedal na nakalagay dun na alam kong hindi sa bar kse DW5000 double pedals eh hahaha (pero malamang Gibraltar pedals ang nandun)  
What you need to bring: actually sticks lng, pero shempre iba parin ang sigurado, dala nlng kyo ng crash.
(reviewed by wilpredo)

Country Steak
A well maintained Pearl Export kit, Pinstripes on rack toms and stock on floor tom, Scimitar hihat and Edge crash, Paiste 402 nickel silver ride... (sana akin na lang un....) ehehehe... ok naman ung pedals... all in all ok siya... ung stand nga lang ng ride mejo weak siya kaya iposition niyo na lang na masusuportahan ung ride... ung kit may fiberglass sa harap niya...  the only inconvinience is masikip dun sa pwesto ng kit... kaya pag meron ka mga kakalasin ang hirap.... un lang..
What you need to bring: sticks lang...
(reviewed by glynminded)

Customs Bar, Meralco Avenue
Kit: Tamburo 4pc. with a weird 6pc. set of cymbals (hats, crash, trash crash w/splash, ride). Weird meaning I can't read the logo, looks Indian but sounds great! The drumset Tamburo was bought from Italy, as the techies said. It sounds ok, but you could bring a drum key just to be sure.
What you need to bring: bass drum pedal (para sigurado), drum key, drum sticks.
(reviewed by franco)

Edterns Music Bar and Resto, Roxas Blvd.
The kit is a 90's Pearl Forum with a 14" snare, a single 12" rack tom, a 16" floor, and a 22" bass. The toms sound good with pinstripe batters and reso's, and the bass drum is mic-ed. The snare is pretty bad though. Most of its Ambassador's coating is gone, and a bad throw-off coupled with Gibraltar 42-wide snare wires give the drum a very undefined and inarticulate sound when hit. The cymbal stands are generic and lightweight, and lack felts. The pedal is generic, but works decently, if not for the slight footboard wobble. The hi-hat stand is a heavy-duty Gibraltar 6607, but the lock on the clutch is rusted. The hi-hats and crash are old 14" and 16" ZBT's respectively, while the ride is a 20" Sabian ProSonix. All cymbals are in good condition, but the ride sounds a bit too colorful for my tastes. Oh, there's a leather drum throne too.
What you need to bring: Snare, felts, bass pedal, hi-hat clutch. Cymbals too, if you prefer.
(reviewed by sjon014)

Freedom Bar, Anonas
The drumkit is a 4-piece Pearl Forum, good tuning na ngayon. Pearl Powershifter bass pedal is ok (buti napalitan nila yung pedal na nagigiba yung cam!). The crash is horrible - there's a hug crack around the bell, so when you hit it, it doesn't crash, it just thuds. The ride cymbal has a major case of keyholing and has chunks taken out of the edge (all cymbal stands don't have sleeves or felts). The hihats are ok.
What you need to bring: crash and ride.

The drumset is indeed a 4-pc Pearl Forum, with a well-tuned snare, a 10" tom, and a 14" floating tom. The hats are 13" ZBT's (the old model). The crash is practically useless. The Ride (Unmarked Zildjian. Maybe an A) has visible keyholing, but it crashes well, and still has a nice bell. The Premier Hi-hat stand CANNOT be adjusted because the memlocks were replaced by fastened screws. The Bass pedal is a Pearl Powershifter, so no complaints there. There are a total of three cymbal stands so you can opt to bring along an extra crash or a China.
What to bring: sinabi na nga, crash and maybe ride. If you're particular about the hi-hats, bring them too.
(reviewed by sjon014)

Hellacious Bar, Malabon
Good Gretsch Blackhawk kit, stock heads din but tuned well (snare needs a bit more tuning), but Planet Z cymbals (all cracked) are very, very bad.
What you need to bring: complete cymbal set.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 09:39:55 PM by Gep »

Offline pmack

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: The bar drums - a reference thread (#-J)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 04:59:02 PM »
Purple Haze Bar, Tomas Morato
Decent Pearl Export kit (including decent sounding snare). Toms with 2-ply EVANS heads (medyo makapal, so medyo muffled sound). Z custom Ride, inverted New Beat Hats (may crack na yung top hat so binaliktad na lang), crash cymbal cracked to hell (if you're lucky, minsan kasi nilalagay ni dacs yung 18" K Medium crash niya in place of the raped crash cymbal. pero minsan lang). The kit has a Gibraltar rack with 2 crash stand so you have the option to bring 2 more crashed if you want. Drum throne wobbles.
What you need to bring: Crash cymbal, drum pedals. drum throne (if you're a heavy-set guy like me)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 07:50:37 PM by pmack »

Offline alone_for_now

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 05:07:40 PM »
mga sir, ok tong topic na to, madalas nga mangyari sa gigs ung hindi nppaghandaan ng drummer ung kit na gagamitin, sana dami pa mag post ng mga pang reference.. astig!

Offline drummer10630

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 02:11:23 PM »
Chaquico's Musician's Bar Makati

Noble and Cooley 5 piece kit, Zildjian cymbals. Nice kit, but heads are old and the stage that the set is on makes the snare drum and hi-hat rock from side to side. Bring your own throne and bass drum pedal, cuz the ones there are weird feeling. I always brought my snare, and cymbals and extra stands as well...

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 02:31:17 PM »
Really? There's a N&C kit here?! Haven't seen one yet. Thanks for the review!

For easier reference, I'll cut and paste your reviews on the first post for easier access. Thanks!

Offline drummer10630

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 03:50:47 PM »
Yeah, the owner has his techs bring it out when Wally Gonzales is playing there. He also has a maple Ludwig Bonham kit, a black and a gold Slingerland Carmine Appice signature model kit, but the other kits are never taken from his rehearsal studio. And he has a mint condition Ayotte 4 piece, wooden rims, burgundy wine red kit in his recording studio. He also has a fine collection of Paul Reed Smith guitars and vintage Dobros, and state of the art recording gear. Must be nice to be rich...

Offline glynminded

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 10:58:21 PM »
Bagaberde Bar, Pasay

A nice yamaha stage custom maple kit surrounded fiberglass, stock heads but tuned well... bass drum head very.... ehem VERY loose! bawat padjak mo biglang lubog... pero luckily magaling ung technician ng bar na un... ganda ng tunog ng bass drum.... 13" A custom hihat, 18" edge crash, A ride... ok din ung snare niya... pearl na snare un hindi ko lang matandaan kung anong type...

What you need to bring: basically none... cguro drumstick lang ok ka na... or pedal na rin... mejo tight ung configuration nung pedal dun eh...

Country Steak

A well maintained Pearl export kit, pinstripes on rack toms and stock on floor tom, Scimitar hihat and Edge crash, Paiste 402 nickel silver ride... (sana akin na lang un....) ehehehe... ok naman ung pedals... all in all ok siya... ung stand nga lang ng ride mejo weak siya kaya iposition niyo na lang na masusuportahan ung ride... ung kit may fiberglass sa harap niya...  the only inconvinience is masikip dun sa pwesto ng kit... kaya pag meron ka mga kakalasin ang hirap.... un lang..

What you need to bring: sticks lang...
I didn\'t know you can watch dreams in a theater?!

Offline pmack

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 01:17:29 PM »
ang sarap naman sa mga natutugtugan mo glynminded.. :-D

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 03:53:26 PM »
6 Underground, Makati

Silver Pearl (Forum?) with a mounted 12, 14 snare, 16 floor, and 22 kick. Cymbals available: 13" ZBT hats, 16" crash, 20 ride. The ride is cracked and will not sustain, although it still gives good bell. The drums are positioned at a corner and wired to the wall. The problem is that it's placed too close to the wall that a 6-footer drummer like me will have a problem with elbow space. Drum heads are old, working but sound like cardboard boxes when you hit them... must be the acoustics or something. Snare produces a high pitched ring, if you're particular about your snare sound, you better bring your own. Also, because of the way they mic the drums (and by some acoustic thingy) the snare and bass sounds louder than what you hear, but the toms sound real soft from an audience perspective.

What you need to bring: A ride if you crash it or if you want it to sustain. I bring both a crash and a ride, just to be sure.

PS. Excellent thread, Gep. :)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 03:54:48 PM by inigo »
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 04:24:49 PM »
Salamat!

Ui pwede pa kayo magdagdag ng info sa mga nabanggit nang bars ha.

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 06:42:12 PM »
Bagaberde Bar, Pasay

A nice yamaha stage custom maple kit surrounded fiberglass, stock heads but tuned well... bass drum head very.... ehem VERY loose! bawat padjak mo biglang lubog... pero luckily magaling ung technician ng bar na un... ganda ng tunog ng bass drum.... 13" A custom hihat, 18" edge crash, A ride... ok din ung snare niya... pearl na snare un hindi ko lang matandaan kung anong type...

If Sir Jojo happens to be in Bagaberde Roxas (Pasay), then it's a lucky night for performers!  Sir Jojo happens to be one of the best sound techs in the country.  He usually works for big-name artists, such as South Border.

At times, he would be assigned at Bagaberde Pasig (which is currently closed for renovation).

Offline jcbska

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 06:59:19 PM »
Caliente Bar, malate manila
 pearl drums, 10",12",14" tom naka drum mic. then 12 A special recording hats. 20" A crash ride, eliminator single pedal. nakalimutan ko kung anong klaseng pearl ung drums, pero high end sya ng pearl, nice snare and nice sound nung drums, all you need to bring is crash kasi basag na ung crash dun,,

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 07:05:24 PM »
Ok! Salamat!

Minsan parang ang sarap mang-arbor ng gamit no? Hehehe.

Offline jcbska

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 07:22:03 PM »
hehe,, oo nga.. hehe pero bad un.. salamat nga pala uli kuya gep.. kasi malaking tulong talaga tong thread nato para sating mga drummer.. mas aware na tayo at handa na sa mga tutugtugang bars.. sana dumami pa ang mag post d2... cheers!

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 07:37:16 PM »
Caliente Bar, malate manila
 pearl drums, 10",12",14" tom naka drum mic. then 12 A special recording hats. 20" A crash ride, eliminator single pedal. nakalimutan ko kung anong klaseng pearl ung drums, pero high end sya ng pearl, nice snare and nice sound nung drums, all you need to bring is crash kasi basag na ung crash dun,,

The Pearl kit in Caliente...  That's a 2001 Session Series SRX maple kit.

Offline jcbska

• Veteran Member
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2007, 08:02:02 PM »
ayun salamat.. hehe thanks sir dio.. ganda din nung drums nila.. kso mdyo laspag na din.. kasi di inaalagaan.. sayang.. sana ako nalang may ari nun...

Offline drummerboy827

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2007, 11:28:47 PM »
ung sa 19 east at sucat, gretsch daw na ginamit ni vinnie! ata :? yun ung sabi sa akin
"Fast practice = slow progress"
"Slow practice = fast progress"

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007, 12:21:11 AM »

19 East --- http://www.19east.com/

Virtually, you don't need to bring anything except your sticks.  Everything here is HIGH-END!  This place is drummer heaven!  It's my favorite venue to perform in.  Read their technical rider here --- http://www.19east.com/19east/index.php?pg=technicalrider .  Look for my 19 East photos and blog stories in my blogsite.  The Gretsch Vinnie Colaiuta Signature Drumkit and the Yamaha high-end kits with all those high-end Zildjians... yes, that's true.  You have to visit the place to believe it.  World class!

Off The Grill, Timog Avenue, Quezon City

Their kit is a 4-piece Gretsch Blackhawk, with 10" and 14" toms.  They don't have any stock cymbals, so the drummer must bring his/her own.  Hardware is still in good condition.  They don't have a drum throne, so better bring your own if you're very particular with it.  Sound system isn't topnotch, but I really enjoy performing here because the ambience is cozy, the food is great, and the audience are decent and responsive.  There's an intimate feel to the place.  And the drums feel and sound nice too.

Mugen Bar and Restaurant, Metrowalk, Ortigas Center

The house kit is a 5-piece Yamaha Stage Custom kit, with power-size toms.  The tough things about their kit are, their stock cymbals are low-end models (the ride is badly damaged with a huge crack - never seen that on a ride cymbal!), the cymbal stands' felt washers and rubber sleeves are missing, and the technician doesn't want anybody tampering with the toms' tuning (or it will give him a hard time with the sound system). 

The kick drum sound is solid, thumping, and in-your-face.  The toms have that old-school 80's-90's glam-rock power tom sound.  It feels weird nailing down r&b/hiphop-style tom licks with that kind of sound hehe, but most of my friends say that it sounds pretty good in-house.  Drum throne is damaged, and they improvised with a stacked monoblock stool, then took a couple of pillows and use it as a seat cushion (so that our bottom will not hurt).

For a sample of how the kit sounds at Mugen Bar, visit my blogsite and look for my birthday video.  :-D

By the way, I always bring my own snare drum, double pedal and cymbals, so I can't really comment further on the house kits' snares, peds and cymbals.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 12:29:13 AM by drumster »

Offline glynminded

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2007, 01:33:30 AM »

Mugen Bar and Restaurant, Metrowalk, Ortigas Center

The house kit is a 5-piece Yamaha Stage Custom kit, with power-size toms.  The tough things about their kit are, their stock cymbals are low-end models (the ride is badly damaged with a huge crack - never seen that on a ride cymbal!), the cymbal stands' felt washers and rubber sleeves are missing, and the technician doesn't want anybody tampering with the toms' tuning (or it will give him a hard time with the sound system). 

The kick drum sound is solid, thumping, and in-your-face.  The toms have that old-school 80's-90's glam-rock power tom sound.  It feels weird nailing down r&b/hiphop-style tom licks with that kind of sound hehe, but most of my friends say that it sounds pretty good in-house.  Drum throne is damaged, and they improvised with a stacked monoblock stool, then took a couple of pillows and use it as a seat cushion (so that our bottom will not hurt).

For a sample of how the kit sounds at Mugen Bar, visit my blogsite and look for my birthday video.  :-D

Wow ganun na pala sa mugen... I remember playing for my fathers band in their office Christmas (2005) party there... halos bago pa ung gamit... planet z nga lang ung cymbals... ahahaha... tindi talaga ng mga drumkit sa mga bar noh? nag dedevolve habang tumatagal...

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2007, 10:44:22 AM »
Oo nga!

Salamat sa review drumster! Nangangati tuloy ako tumugtog sa 19East hehehe.

Ang solusyon sa mga problema sa kakulangan ng felt washer at cymbal sleeve ay electrical tape! Puluputin niyo lang ang tip ng stand ng tape, tapos baliktarin niyo ang adhesive side sa base, konting pakalat na ikot (medyo horizontal na rin ang application), tapos ibalik niyo inward ang adhesive side para sa final rounds. Damage free na ang butas ng cymbals.  :-D

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2007, 04:35:45 PM »
Really? There's a N&C kit here?! Haven't seen one yet. Thanks for the review!

For easier reference, I'll cut and paste your reviews on the first post for easier access. Thanks!

yan gep...galing dun sa guitar adrenalin thread... N&C CD MAPLES yummy. sarap siguro tumunog nyan

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2007, 04:38:17 PM »
Wow. Teka, tama ba nakikita ko, Yamaha subkick/subwoofer?!

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2007, 04:40:14 PM »
tama

im not surprised though. may cd maples nga sya na kit e, gasino na lang yung yamaha subkick na yun. soldano pa yung amp

Offline glynminded

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2007, 01:57:14 AM »
Kala Bar, Harbour Square, Pasay

I just got home from a gig there... Looks like a recently bought Trak Drumkit... all stock including cymbals... has only one cymbal stand that has been taped at the upper portion for some unknown reasons... and weak connection between hihat pedal and rod... The toms have stock heads but the sound... not bad... tuned well... the throne is only lightweight with limited adjust options... also the kit is placed too close to the wall which makes it harder to move your arms...
What you need to bring: Cymbals(universal set), Extra cymbal stand, and a lot of patience.....

Offline drummer_boy17

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2007, 03:57:48 PM »
salamat sa thread na ito at magiging ready tayong mga drummers if ever na tutugtog tayo sa mga lugar na yan..
FLY FAST PHOTOGRAPHY: Click Here