hulika

Author Topic: Travelling by plane with a guitar, need help!!!  (Read 9690 times)

Offline inot1105

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Travelling by plane with a guitar, need help!!!
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2012, 02:12:16 PM »
In addition to my previous reply...

With the same guitar & same wrap-around industrial tape, after a year, I traveled with it back to Manila via Cebu Pacific.
Also checking-in my guitar, as i've bought the additional sports equipment check-in baggage.

Still, all was ok. No problems.

BR & God bless
1 Corinthians 3:19
For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, “He catches the wise in their own craftiness”;

Offline iamweird

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2012, 12:07:46 PM »
sino dito naka-experince nang ibiahe yung guitars with jetstar or tiger? papakuha ko kasi sa barkada ko yung gitara ko sa pinas..
Instead of searching for what to buy next, why not search for what to learn next?

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2012, 08:38:29 PM »
I will never trust cebu pacific with any of my guitars dont ask how i know, but for PAL i will check my instruments in in a heart beat iba ang baggage management nang PAL basta may fragile sticker siguradong safe ang guitar mo

my cebu pacific experience.

if anything, we arrived to a settlement. its better than nothing. but if ud ask me, i would rather not have gone through it.

would i check in my guitars with them again? probably. because i have a clue how this happened. and see now that they have made steps to avoid this.

dont let them accept your guitars on the check in counter. ask specifically for the counter that admits the irregular sized baggage.

sino dito naka-experince nang ibiahe yung guitars with jetstar or tiger? papakuha ko kasi sa barkada ko yung gitara ko sa pinas..

i had, once, with jetstar. it was an epiphone les paul 2 which was in a simple, pad-less case so it was down to a minimum. but make sure its within the allowed weight limit. so thats 10Kg.

ive checked in guitars with them and i had no problems with them either. even the hardcase was virtually scratch-less. :D
Most Recent Successful Deals with: cap10weevil, carey, david_leyson, DyuN_whamMe, gt bass, guitarmaniacgino, jacobsarinas, jimny, jodencio, loydariel, pie_key, prince22, Spoonbender, sysrq1172, washburnt25

Offline iamweird

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2012, 09:58:35 PM »

if anything, we arrived to a settlement. its better than nothing. but if ud ask me, i would rather not have gone through it.

would i check in my guitars with them again? probably. because i have a clue how this happened. and see now that they have made steps to avoid this.

dont let them accept your guitars on the check in counter. ask specifically for the counter that admits the irregular sized baggage.

i had, once, with jetstar. it was an epiphone les paul 2 which was in a simple, pad-less case so it was down to a minimum. but make sure its within the allowed weight limit. so thats 10Kg.

ive checked in guitars with them and i had no problems with them either. even the hardcase was virtually scratch-less. :D
nakita ko na naman yung pic na nakakadurog ng puso..  :cry:
thanks sa input sir about jetstar.. papakuha ko na lang gitara ko.. hehe  :)
Instead of searching for what to buy next, why not search for what to learn next?

Offline dirk

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2014, 04:24:55 PM »
necrobump  :-D

i'll be bringing my guitar from manila to dubai, sadly cebu pacific nakuha kong flight?
kailangan ko pa ba mag-avail ng additional check in sports equipment, pwede ba sa guitar yun? how about sa baggage insurance cover ba pag damage or lost lang?

naka orig fender hard case tolex then fender US strat.

prone pa rin ba sa mga mishandling ng mga guitars ang Cebu pacific? la kasing available call center dito, tagal naman nila magreply sa email ko.

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2014, 05:22:55 PM »
There is always a certain amount of risk involved when checking in any sort of baggage, even with the FRAGILE sticker on.

I have one of those cases. I would probably spend the entire flight worrying about my guitar if I were to check such a case in. Mas ok sana yung TSA approved na Fender case. Baka mas secure din na kalasin na lang yung gitara at isiksik sa gitna ng mga damit yung body at neck sa maleta. Iwanan na lang yung case, hehehe.

If you're really intent on using that case, maybe having it bubble-wrapped can provide an added sense of security.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline ryechua

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2014, 05:39:09 PM »
necrobump  :-D

i'll be bringing my guitar from manila to dubai, sadly cebu pacific nakuha kong flight?
kailangan ko pa ba mag-avail ng additional check in sports equipment, pwede ba sa guitar yun? how about sa baggage insurance cover ba pag damage or lost lang?

naka orig fender hard case tolex then fender US strat.

prone pa rin ba sa mga mishandling ng mga guitars ang Cebu pacific? la kasing available call center dito, tagal naman nila magreply sa email ko.

depends on the airline, ground crew, baggage handlers, etc. yung huling guitar na dinala ko from Japan to Singapore hindi allowed as carry-on luggage kasi di kasya sa overhead compartment so it went to the irregular sized, check-in luggage counter. LP in a brown Gibson case. it was handled really well and i didn't see any additional scratch on the case.
doh!!!

Offline yekoz

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2014, 03:38:18 PM »
Anything Dreadnought with softcase must be hand-carry. The safest is hard case. Depende pa rin sa Airline on how they manage the baggage.

Offline vittobrat

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2014, 05:49:36 PM »
Anything Dreadnought with softcase must be hand-carry. The safest is hard case. Depende pa rin sa Airline on how they manage the baggage.

take the strings out...pressure in the airplane would cause the neck to warp if it has strings..

i second in motion for the gentleman's suggestion to hand carry the guitar...no question!!!
The fear of death.
Make the climb; without the rope.
Then fear will find you again.

Offline johnny_jackhammers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2014, 03:59:45 AM »
would a guitar survive being checked in if it were in a mono case lang?

Offline opencoke

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2015, 08:22:26 PM »
Hi guys, is there anyone here who has an experience with korean air?

ill be bringing my ibanez to canada within a week.

do i have to wrap the neck in a bubble wrap or hayaan ko na lang na walang saplot sa hardcase?
Paf joe, Evo2, Breeds... STEVE VAI <3

Offline Aether

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2015, 05:20:26 PM »

May I know what brand and material nung hardcase mo? This is a concern of mine din kasi especially sa acoustic guitar ko. Dreadnought body so I'm 99% sure na ipapacheck-in kapag dinala ko sa flight. Wood lang yung hard case so I'm worried na mabasag lang din siya sa handling nila.

Anyone who has experienced using Gator hardcases? Are they as good as the SKB ones? I'm planning on buying for my guitars kasi para icheck-in na lang yung mga gitara ko.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Offline Zacchary_amadeus

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2015, 09:57:13 AM »
I have tried hand carried my guitar once when i went to london.. Cathay pacific staff let me hand carried my guitar with its softcase.. Hindi naman na damaged nung nilagay ko sa compartment.
\"Why worry if you can pray\"

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2015, 03:54:36 PM »
May I know what brand and material nung hardcase mo? This is a concern of mine din kasi especially sa acoustic guitar ko. Dreadnought body so I'm 99% sure na ipapacheck-in kapag dinala ko sa flight. Wood lang yung hard case so I'm worried na mabasag lang din siya sa handling nila.

Anyone who has experienced using Gator hardcases? Are they as good as the SKB ones? I'm planning on buying for my guitars kasi para icheck-in na lang yung mga gitara ko.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

They fit nicely on a LAG Tramontane dreadnought.  Best to check the specs since 'dreadnoughts' can have a few variances in measurements.  Another dreadnought I have with standard dimensions don't fit snug inside an SKB, I have to pack in those gaps if I'm flying.  I also had the experience of using the cheap chipboard cases, and the guitar made it in one piece from Cebu to Manila, but for peace of mind you really have to have a good hardcase and even then still add a few more cushioning material.

That said, even at a bare minimum, you could get away with a bit of planning and preparation.  Here's Perf de Castro with some tips if you don't have much confidence in your current case.

soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline christian_siron05

• Netizen Level
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2015, 02:48:14 PM »
Me naka-experience na ba dito na mag-hand carry nang effects?

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2015, 01:36:43 PM »
Me naka-experience na ba dito na mag-hand carry nang effects?

should be ok...no problem.
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline randymarsh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2015, 07:11:05 PM »
make sure lang na walang battery yung effects.
nuno : n4 2.0 n4esa, n4vintage, n4 silver sparkle, n5, n6, n7, n8esa
etc : yjm, axis, jp6, jpxi, jp12, jp13, lp 58 vos, lp 57 ri, lp standard, lp trad, am strat, am tele deluxe, jem7v, uv777, rg prestige, j custom, deluxe reverb, vai legacy, jcm900, axefx

• Netizen Level
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2015, 10:23:01 PM »
should be ok...no problem.

make sure lang na walang battery yung effects.

Salamat mga po mga par, naka bcb-60 po kasi ako.. allowed po ba sa flight kung dadalin ko sya as is? or kelangan ko po syang kalasin? Dadalin ko po kasi sana sa Cebu..

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2015, 11:10:24 PM »
should be ok...malalagay naman sa overhead bin yan..no worries
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

• Netizen Level
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2015, 11:16:40 AM »
should be ok...malalagay naman sa overhead bin yan..no worries

Ok, thanks par..  :)

Offline guitbox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2015, 05:52:02 PM »
IMHO---always travel with a hardcase.

Meanwhile for PAL---your regular-sized-guitar needs to be checked-in.
Anything smaller can be hand-carried.

IN ANY CASE, they will count the number of luggage you actually have and they may charge you for extra baggage if you exceed the limit on the number of baggages---aside from exceeding the weight limit (if applicable).
My passion comes from my Jesus...

Offline Asurada666

« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2015, 06:03:46 PM »
in my case, nag dala ako ng Ibanez 7 strings dito sa saudi at naka prestige ibanez hardcase sya. naka check in baggage sya sa saudia airlines. pag dating ko sa destination ko and i check my guitar wala na mang naging problema at intact parin ung guitar. 
May 1st Gig Si Juan na Guitarist
Juan: Bakit hindi natunog ang Gitara ko?
Girl Audience: Kuya hindi nakakabit ung Jack ng gitara mo

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2015, 06:34:25 PM »
i checked in a solid state fender amp ..ok naman..pero di konauulitin..hassle sa bigat!..i boxed it very well..box showed no signs of mistreatment...pero next time id rather sell off all my stuff here..then buy a new one sa pinas..kesa na mahassle pa na ipauwi.. thats why i dont get folks taking home huge appliances..eh its better to just buy at home..warranty, service..and all..hehe
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *