hulika

Author Topic: VOX AC and Hiwatt amps  (Read 29326 times)

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
VOX AC and Hiwatt amps
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2006, 01:50:27 AM »
Quote from: BAMF
Quote from: oasgomez
BAMF,

Simple Message: Wanna build good sounding amps? Get exposed.

Simple answer that you can't seem to comprehend. I AM EXPOSED AND I KNOW WHAT I WANT. And it's a Marshall JCM 800 sound.

What part of this can't you understand ? You seem to speak good English.

yup. damn right. to each his own.

Quote from: markflo
ey man...i'll bias your amp! hehehe...

jesus effin' christ...so what if you don't have the best tone out there? just play yer godd@mn geetars! tone is in the fingers, ...so what if you never ever hear them "bowteeeq" amplifiers? i hate these effin' tone snobs...it's not about the equipment, these are just toys...it's about you, the player...inspiration comes from within yourself, not within the amp! when you hear a great song, a great solo, whatever,  you don't go "if i only had HIS equipment, his bowteeeq amps, i could be inspired to write something that will be a hit, but i don't...so i'm not inspired."...that's BS...

so i'm gonna stop ramblin' on right here because it's off topic...

anyway, BAMF...make that amp and make it sound good to YOU...i fully support what you're doing...kaya din nating mga pinoy yan...inspite what other snobs say...

amen...
weird comparison on one of the posts here. korean hot cabs then soldano/botique amps? pertty far off to prove a point. price wise. tone wise. quality...um..hehe...now i feel stupid reading that part. on the other hand, it could get worse. every tried a marshall v40? good tone. very very good tone. y? coz i said so too.
US Toll Free: 650.488.7901
Globe:0927.858.1635
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
VOX AC and Hiwatt amps
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2006, 01:58:57 AM »
Yo guys. Thanks for the encouragement, it's truly appreciated.

I just finished as in closed the case on the El Tubero. It's got the Marshall Tone stack now and now, I can again hear that "quack-quack" (or is it "thwack-thwack"?) .

Funny design that Tone Stack is. The pots are in series, such that if you bottom out the treble and/or bass, the mid (which is at the last stage) actually gets boosted and emphasized, as opposed to just separately cutting out the treble and bass and mids. The pots actually interact with each other !   Ingenious work by Marshall engineers considering the technology they had at the time :D.  Now I'm appreciatin' :D .

Inserting the Marshall Tone Stack between the triode halves also "tamed" whe wild 12AX7's gain by introducing some insertion loss. Now, there's no more whistling, no more breath-catching and no more unusable area with the gain control's "twist". No wild buzzing caused by too much saturation either. And most of all, it's approaching the brown tone...that signature "squeeze my balls hard" sound (ipit) from a Marshall.  I'm happy. I think this will also make other guitarists happy. But I won't stop here yet :D. It still lacks that tube "hahhhh" breathing sound which comes from the interaction of the output transformer, speaker and power tubes (so I'm told anyway).  Hmmm...I'm getting a couple more ideas. What if I insert a small output transformer at the 12AX7's output and insert a 16 ohm wirewound (and hence inductive) dummy load resistor at the secondary and tap the audio output from there ? That should give that non-linear interaction. Interesting thought. But I'll sleep on it for now.

It's like 1 am. My neighbours will put out a contract on me if I record a soundclip now. I'll do it tomorrow after waking up.

Thanks guys.
..send that "piece of work" to me and Mark and we'll give it a good work out....well...Mark can make it sound like a $5000 amp.

...just kidding dude :wink:
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
VOX AC and Hiwatt amps
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2006, 02:09:20 AM »
Wha ! My baby !!! Sent over to the West Coast ? Waaaahhh!!! Heheheh. But it's just a preamp sir, I doubt if it can match a real deal tube amp.

Seriously, if anyone wants to listen to it first hand, just contact me and I'll let you give it a spin here in my workshop. Still got that annoying 60 Hz buzz tho', but not as bad as before. Maybe an AC Choke coil will fix that. Hey wait...I got a couple of those. Uh-oh. Does this mean I'll open her up again ? Oh well...perfection is a journey :D.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
VOX AC and Hiwatt amps
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2006, 02:09:21 AM »
Quote from: Phil
Quote from: oasgomez
Phil,

I understand that the Amp Shop may be expensive when it comes to biasing.  But more importantly, did you try out their amps?

I bought my Soldano and Bogner from Ampshop.  Gary of Ampshop rushed soldano to get a customized SLO100 in under two weeks wired for Philippine 220 volts. Gary also pestered bogner for an Uberschall wired for Philippine 220 volts.  Both heads were ready for pickup within 2 weeks from the date of downpayment.  

Soldano customer support was on top of the whole order process and made sure that from the date of the downpayment, they knew what I wanted.  Bogner for their part was able to find a European wired 220 in their inventory, so they immediately sent that to Ampshop.

Now thats what I call customer service given that these are custom amps and not readily available.
...tell you this...I won't ever go back to that store....mga swappang mga tao don.....they treat you really good 'coz you were buying expensive stuff from them. I'd rather go to Guitar Center....mas friendly pa mga tao don....And if I do save up the money to buy me Bogner or Soldano? ...I won't ever go through that shop...I'd bring my business to another FRIENDLY store.

Hey I was there at Gutiar Center Holly last week (my weekly trek, hehe :wink: ) and I notice that they are carrying Soldanos and Bogners now. Not a boutique guy. Can't recall them model names. I'm not really sold with the Soldano sound but I like the Bogner a lot. Phil... there you go. You can get the boutique amp through decent, friendly sales people that will treat you right not because your paying them lots of money but because you are a customer, a musician, and a person regardless of whether you give $50.00 or $50,000.00. Wow :shock:  words of wisdom again. Sometimes I amaze myself, hehe :lol:

Offline superoxy

• Forum Fanatic
VOX AC and Hiwatt amps
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2006, 10:25:23 AM »
Quote from: stratman1
Wow :shock:  words of wisdom again. Sometimes I amaze myself, hehe :lol:

ganyan talaga pag lumaki sa paranaque  :mrgreen:
\\\\\\\"I am afraid of people who are boring, but require too much attention to ignore. \\\\\\\" - Jamie Hyneman

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
VOX AC and Hiwatt amps
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2006, 11:27:43 AM »
Quote from: superoxy
Wow :shock:  words of wisdom again. Sometimes I amaze myself, hehe :lol:

ganyan talaga pag lumaki sa paranaque  :mrgreen:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
VOX AC and Hiwatt amps
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2006, 12:19:55 PM »
whew, mainit si flo. easy lang dude :)

uwi ka na lang dito, kulang tayo ng instrumental rock dito eh. :)
Surf's Up!

Offline markflo

VOX AC and Hiwatt amps
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2006, 12:28:46 PM »
hahahahaha!
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
VOX AC and Hiwatt amps
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2006, 03:15:54 PM »
Mark... meng... cool na cool ka kaninang tanghali ng nagkita tayo, ah. Anong nangyari? Kulang bang bayad ko? Hehehe.

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
VOX AC and Hiwatt amps
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2006, 04:08:06 PM »
i see someone getting real popular around here.  :lol:
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline meashuggahr

• Veteran Member
VOX AC and Hiwatt amps
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2006, 06:18:13 PM »
byuti is in the eye of the beholder....it's my sound my music my soul not their's....ehemehem...

to all the pipol who hunger for higher learnings....mabuhay kayow!

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
VOX AC and Hiwatt amps
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2006, 08:29:07 PM »
Funny design that Tone Stack is. The pots are in series, such that if you bottom out the treble and/or bass, the mid (which is at the last stage) actually gets boosted and emphasized, as opposed to just separately cutting out the treble and bass and mids. The pots actually interact with each other !   Ingenious work by Marshall engineers considering the technology they had at the time :D.  Now I'm appreciatin' :D .

I guess it is a Baxandall tone circuit, then, as mentioned in my previous post.  I'm interested to confirm this in terms of actual circuitry but I'm not an engineer. I-google mo yung 'baxandall tone circuit' and you'll some basic schems. Let me know naman kung pareho talaga. I'm very interested to settle that question I've had in my mind from a technical stand point.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
VOX AC and Hiwatt amps
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2006, 01:14:47 AM »
Mark... meng... cool na cool ka kaninang tanghali ng nagkita tayo, ah. Anong nangyari? Kulang bang bayad ko? Hehehe.
you guys met already? I've been chatting with Mark for a long time now and I haven't met this dude......kailan next EB natin?

Dan....are you and Mark....... ahhhmmmmm? What were you guys doing?:wink:

Offline markflo

VOX AC and Hiwatt amps
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2006, 01:20:39 AM »
heheh...kinuha ni dan kahapon yung small clone...pasensya na sir dan...medyo nagmamadali ako kahapon....30 mins lang lunch ko nun eh...eh baka mangayayat ako..hehehe
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
VOX AC and Hiwatt amps
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2006, 01:28:42 AM »
Phil... wag ka nang magselos. Hindi naman kami "BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN", eh, hehe :lol: . Hayaan mo, sa next jam eb natin, iyong iyo na si Mark, hahaha :lol:

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
VOX AC and Hiwatt amps
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2006, 01:29:46 AM »
Phil... wag ka nang magselos. Hindi naman kami "BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN", eh, hehe :lol: . Hayaan mo, sa next jam eb natin, iyong iyo na si Mark, hahaha :lol:
bwahahahah...Dan don't tell me you watched that movie, dude. :?

Offline markflo

VOX AC and Hiwatt amps
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2006, 01:42:38 AM »
AHAHAAAY MGA FAFA BROKEBACK MOUNTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYNN! HEHEHE...buti nalang napanood na ng asawa ko..di ko na siya kelangan samahan...

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
VOX AC and Hiwatt amps
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2006, 02:16:12 AM »
Mark... your so kind. I only needed 5 minutes but30 minutes was plenty, hahaha :oops:  :P .

Anyways... tama ng kalokohan nyo. Speaking of jam eb. Si room335 daw gustong sumali. Kelan tayo mag set? Meron pa ba kayong alm na sasama? Rent natin yong malaking studio sa Sound Arena, tagay-tagay naman, eh. ANo? Game ba kayo?

Offline markflo

VOX AC and Hiwatt amps
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2006, 02:19:28 AM »
game ako diyan!

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
VOX AC and Hiwatt amps
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2006, 03:10:31 AM »
super duper game ako dyan mga gwapings? sino ba sya (room335)Dan ? gwaping ba? ...sama ba si Jo?

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
VOX AC and Hiwatt amps
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2006, 05:51:16 AM »
:?:  :?:  :?:  May grupo jazz,blues style. Site is www.mpgproject.com. Mukang maayos naman. Try natin. Mas marami mas masaya.

Online ryechua

• Forum Fanatic
VOX AC and Hiwatt amps
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2006, 05:57:51 AM »
uy mpgproject..... ok bassist nyan ah.. si miko...
doh!!!

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
VOX AC and Hiwatt amps
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2006, 06:31:54 AM »
Quote from: ryechua

Kala ko nasa paranaque ka? Si Gerry ba ang room335?

Online ryechua

• Forum Fanatic
VOX AC and Hiwatt amps
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2006, 06:34:11 AM »
Quote from: ryechua

Kala ko nasa paranaque ka? Si Gerry ba ang room335?

hehe.. yup.. sa paranaque ako... officemate ko dati yan si miko.. he's now working in the US office - same company pa rin namin
doh!!!