hulika

Author Topic: The first ever Baker B3 in Manila!!! - LOCKED  (Read 35236 times)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: First Ever Baker B3 in Manila!!!
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2007, 10:46:24 AM »
im excited to see this guitar. if i get the chance ill record some clips and post if someone can host them for me (ayaw ko soundclick).

You have a laptop?  I have a Firewire Interface and a bunch of mic pres, mics and compressors that I can take to the place where we can record it.  Bring your Shiva if you want.  Or maybe thru oas' diezel.

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2007, 10:48:54 AM »
actually i was thinking of something simpler. i have a victoria champ coming in (5 watter with the 8 inch speaker) and a protools setup on my laptop (firewire 410) and sm57. Was thinking no mixing (since the champ has no eq) - sm 57 - protools no effects no post mixing. Maybe put in the box of rock just for some distortion... at least this way i can also rec historics, strats, epis, etc so its consistent. what u think?

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2007, 10:52:42 AM »
actually i was thinking of something simpler. i have a victoria champ coming in (5 watter with the 8 inch speaker) and a protools setup on my laptop (firewire 410) and sm57. Was thinking no mixing (since the champ has no eq) - sm 57 - protools no effects no post mixing. Maybe put in the box of rock just for some distortion... at least this way i can also rec historics, strats, epis, etc so its consistent. what u think?

Well, I suggest you have an extra mic to complement the 57.  The 57 can cheat the sound a bit.  Not really the best mic if you want to approach realism.  Try a condenser placed somewhere.  Finding the sweetspot (in this case, the combination that can capture  realism) is the real problem.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2007, 11:18:11 AM »
btw, tolits... ang hirap basahin nung puro "sabi ng kaibigan ko... na sinang-ayunan naman ng isa ko pang kaibigan na gitarista at kilalalang luthier ng gitara..."   bakit di nilang mag-join uli si Oas sa PhilMusic para sya na magpost ng gears and reviews nya?  mabawasan din yung tendency na ikaw ang sagutin ng ibang nagko-comment dito.  ika nga nila, "Don't shoot the messenger."  :-D

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2007, 11:20:42 AM »
btw, tolits... ang hirap basahin nung puro "sabi ng kaibigan ko... na sinang-ayunan naman ng isa ko pang kaibigan na gitarista at kilalalang luthier ng gitara..."   bakit di nilang mag-join uli si Oas sa PhilMusic para sya na magpost ng gears and reviews nya?   mabawasan din yung tendency na ikaw ang sagutin ng ibang nagko-comment dito.  ika nga nila, "Don't shoot the messenger."  :-D

I was expecting this issue to come up.  :-)
The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2007, 11:22:28 AM »

Well, I suggest you have an extra mic to complement the 57.  The 57 can cheat the sound a bit.  Not really the best mic if you want to approach realism.  Try a condenser placed somewhere.  Finding the sweetspot (in this case, the combination that can capture  realism) is the real problem.

skunky - off-topic... anong mare-recommend mong microphone for recording?

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2007, 11:24:20 AM »
im excited to see this guitar. if i get the chance ill record some clips and post if someone can host them for me (ayaw ko soundclick).

naku, so pass ka na sa jg?   :-D  ang tagal ng antay.  they're not even responding to my emails anymore.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2007, 11:26:31 AM »
btw, tolits... ang hirap basahin nung puro "sabi ng kaibigan ko... na sinang-ayunan naman ng isa ko pang kaibigan na gitarista at kilalalang luthier ng gitara..."   bakit di nilang mag-join uli si Oas sa PhilMusic para sya na magpost ng gears and reviews nya?   mabawasan din yung tendency na ikaw ang sagutin ng ibang nagko-comment dito.  ika nga nila, "Don't shoot the messenger."  :-D

Hehe... I'm not even sure if it's allowed by the rules or by the powers-that-be. .  But it's really awkward to read a proxy post...

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2007, 01:20:13 PM »
sill waiting for the JG my friend but the saved up money is burning a whole in my wallet if you know what i mean. Hahahah.

Skunk > I have a pg81 condenser... puwede na yun? Id rather stick with 1 mic in a pre determined position para consistent. I dont wanna leave variables like room etc etc. Standard has always been sm57 up against the grill between the edge and center on axis.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2007, 03:20:45 PM »
sill waiting for the JG my friend but the saved up money is burning a whole in my wallet if you know what i mean. Hahahah.

Skunk > I have a pg81 condenser... puwede na yun? Id rather stick with 1 mic in a pre determined position para consistent. I dont wanna leave variables like room etc etc. Standard has always been sm57 up against the grill between the edge and center on axis.
all my recordings are just one single SM57 ...... it's a bitch to find a nice tone. ....precisley why I'm switching to e609s.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2007, 03:27:12 PM »

skunky - off-topic... anong mare-recommend mong microphone for recording?

There is no definite answer to this.  For all you know a cheap Samson mic like an R11 might do the job.  By merely changing the volume level of the amp, or even gain settings, your choice of mic should also change.  That is why in most huge studios, they prefer having like 8 to 10 mics per cabinet, and it is in the final mix that they choose the best sounding tracks.  The reason why I suggest adding another mic to the 57 is because while it tends to have a nice capture of the upper mids and trebly frequencies, IMO, it does not capture open sounds that nicely.  Maybe a condenser or ribbon mic placed inside the room or a few inches away from the speaker can help, but one thing to be avoided is phase distortion (although in some cases that is the sound you are looking for.)

Anyway, as my own rule of thumb, these are the best minimalist combinations:

Shure SM57 somewhat off axis 1-3 inches from speaker grill + LDC some 8 inches away  (can be farther)

Shure SM58 (minus the windscreen) somewhat off axis 1-3 inches from speaker grill + LDC some 8 inches away (can be farther)

Sennheiser E609 2" from the speaker cone edge + LDC

Sm57 + E609 (works wekll for more compressed sounds)

A lot say a Royer R121 ribbon is good at reinforcing those airy sounds.  Also some suggest a Sennheiser MD421 to be added as a close mic.

But if your main goal is getting REALISM, it can be quite a challenge.  Vhunter, there is nothing wrong with using EQ and compression when tracking guitars because in some cases, the most realistic sounds can be nailed with those tools.  I have given up on the idea that recording everything clean (and without EQ or comp) is the right thing to do.

Offline alquin

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2007, 06:38:58 PM »
sabi ko na nga ba , ... may kapatid sa labas ang Bananas in Pajamas

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

peace :mrgreen:

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2007, 08:06:12 PM »

got an issue? here's a tissue. :D

hanef. awesome guitar.

Offline tolits

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2007, 09:44:54 AM »
The B3s new home:

"To Everyone, thanks for the support and positive Comments.  Though there have been requests for a review, I feel I cannot post a complete review because 1) it may in some way offend some people and 2) the guitar has only been in the country for 48 hours which means that it still has to be tested under various scenarios.  Still, I will try to give a partial review.  Offhand, its a magical instrument which I believe everybody should experience at least once in their lifetime.  With regards to the looks, it is NOT as pretty as the best looking PRS Guitars, it is more understated.  Kung medyo "Beauty of the Burst"  fan ka, then the Baker has the same appeal.  In a sense, my experiment to look for the most beautiful guitar combined with the most beautiful sound was NOT really a success.  However, what I got was something beyond what I was expecting a single guitar to do.  Personally, I stopped being a high end guitar fan years ago because I believed that guitars should be tested and heard first.  This guitar changed all that.  To clarify, I am not on a honeymoon period with it.  Rather, I took the risk because I knew that I could immediately sell this guitar and recover around 90% of its value because of Gene Baker's reputation and limited Supply of Fire Models -- at around 20 guitars per year.  In short, I was hoping it would fail so I could buy a Komet -- amps are my first love.    Also, I was not expecting its character and tone to beat what I already have.  BUT IT DOES.  It does things that nothing I have tested the past 20 years can ever do.  I believe my close luthier friend is also as enthusiastic.  We are still both in disbelief and frankly at a loss on how to give it a review because it transcends what a guitar should be -- it ceases being an instrument and now truly becomes an extension of oneself.    Though it has been publicized as a blues, jazz, hard rock guitar -- for Metal Heads, Thrashers, Death Dudes, this guitar is also the ultimate "chugga chugga" machine because of its tight bass response, correctly voiced mids and KERRANG factor and bigness under heavy distortion.  As you bring up the distortion, the tone thickens but never becomes mush and remains defined.  The notes sound solid without the harsh overtones that make a distortion sound splatter.  Also, the guitar tends to thicken up much earlier in the distortion range on high gain amps.  Can you do shredder stuff on it?  Amazingly yes because of its joint and neck profile -- though not thin -- it is so easy to perform scalar runs on.  At first I could not believe the claim that it would have one of the fastest necks if not the fastest neck around but because of the construction and Gene's set-up out of the box, it actually fulfills the promise.  One thing I have to mention,  it is superbly balanced and you will never ever feel that you have a 9 lbs. guitar with you. Clean is just amazing -- there is no GIBSON muddy mid and there is no cold PRS mid.  It has a slightly more elevated mid than a Fender but more pleasing to the ear and not too hollow. I was amazed at the flexibility of the Lollar Imperial Vintage to volume and tone setting on the guitar pots from thick but pleasing mids to jangle like scooped cleans.  Again, I am not a Lollar fan but this has changed my perception of the brand.  I was surprised to see a coil tap switch for both pickups which is not standard on Gene's Offerings and it is a great coil tap that made me forget about single coils.  NOTE: This guitar was NOT customized in any way.  Gene does not accept customization orders.  I bought this guitar stock without any modifications and will remain that way because Gene has voiced the whole guitar to be one with each specific part in mind to contribute to an over all sound.  Was it worth it?  For me, yes.  Can the difference be worth 20X the cost of my cheapest but good sounding guitar?  Yes.  Why?  I just don't feel like playing my other guitars anymore.  Is it a marginal difference for me?  No because limitless expression becomes priceless."

alex 

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2007, 10:03:32 AM »
... 2) the guitar has only been in the country for 48 hours which means that it still has to be tested under various scenarios...
i agree. lets test one scenario: the 4 song per set through a crappy amp scenario. pahiram! may tugtog ako mamaya. :D

Offline trem3

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2007, 10:10:54 AM »
syet akin na lang yung Diezel!!!

very nice guitar btw!
Click Here

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2007, 10:49:35 AM »
Ganda... hope we can ab it w/ some of the historics...

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2007, 10:58:11 AM »
Was it worth it?  For me, yes.  Can the difference be worth 20X the cost of my cheapest but good sounding guitar?  Yes.  Why?  I just don't feel like playing my other guitars anymore.  Is it a marginal difference for me?  No because limitless expression becomes priceless."

alex 

Ayus... at the end of the day, it only really matters to you.  Congrats uli.

Like farseer tho, I'm really intrigued to know how it compares against other expensive, median, and inexpensive BUT TONEFUL guitars.

Btw, it's good you wrote out the response yourself for Lito to post.  I can imagine it being awkward for Lito to be your spokesman all the time. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 11:54:17 AM by deltaslim »

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2007, 11:20:21 AM »
congrats Alex....eto ....for  eveyones pleasure

Here's Scott with his Baker.....using my dream amp a Fuchs....mmmmmm. :-P

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/music/SummertimeDirty.mpg

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/music/SummertimeClean.mpg
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 11:27:55 AM by Phil »

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2007, 12:39:56 PM »
congrats. Like delta, I would be interested in hearing how it compares to other guitars of lower and similar price points. Personally, I can justify spending a pretty penny on an amp but a guitar in that price range will be tougher to sell me on because other stellar tones have been achieved with guitars costing a fraction of the price. I think the Scott Lerner clean and dirty tones sound a lot like an ES-335 through the Fuchs so that would be an interesting point of comparison in the recording sessions.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline micr0chimp

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2007, 01:56:17 PM »
Ey thanks, Alex!  Really.  :-) 

Most of us do appreciate your take on stuff because you put a lot of thought, time and passion into it.  I enjoy it most when it's the passion that comes through from you more than anything else.

Have fun with the new toy!  Buy you a beer when we bump into each other again.  :-D

PS:  Oh I'd looooovvee to try that Bogner...Nice!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 01:59:05 PM by micr0chimp »

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2007, 03:07:37 PM »
....... I think the Scott Lerner clean and dirty tones sound a lot like an ES-335 through the Fuchs so that would be an interesting point of comparison in the recording sessions.
...makes you think....you don't need an es335 to get that Larry Carlton tone....eh?

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2007, 03:22:37 PM »
...makes you think....you don't need an es335 to get that Larry Carlton tone....eh?

i dunno, man. the ES has definite character to its tone and its sound is a result of its semi-hollow structure. I thought the Baker got close but the ES emulation was a bit treblier than what a real ES would sound like, a result of the thing being a solid body, no doubt. Don't get me wrong, the Baker tone is great but if I want an ES tone, I'd get an ES because, to me, there is no getting around the physics that is intrinsic to each guitar type. For years, I tried getting around the fact that I could "fake" a jazz tone on a solid body because I simply didn't want to get a jazz box and have yet another guitar case taking up space. I had eyed the Ibby George Benson for years but couldn't justify getting the guitar just for a jazz tone until I sat my butt down and played it alongside my PRS. The sound was different and no amount of tweaking on the amp or the PRS tone pots could get me close enough to the jazz box sound. Needless to say, I got the Ibby and haven't looked back.

If the hordes of people out there using the ES-335 for its characteristic tone is any indication of its irreplaceability, I think it would be safe to say that the ES tone/ES-335 combination is not going to go out of style anytime soon.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline tolits

« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2007, 08:27:51 AM »
Now its really me, pangit yung Baker, di maganda tone, kasi di siya pwede pang bass. Hehe.
yOU CAN SEE THE BAKER IN ACTION ON JUNE 23, MY BROTHERS MUSTACHE FOLK HOUSE, SOULBENDERS PLAYING, WITH BAKER PLAYED BY STEVE," THE MANAGER" LABAO. CHECK IT OUT@

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2007, 09:05:45 AM »
Now its really me, pangit yung Baker, di maganda tone, kasi di siya pwede pang bass. Hehe.
yOU CAN SEE THE BAKER IN ACTION ON JUNE 23, MY BROTHERS MUSTACHE FOLK HOUSE, SOULBENDERS PLAYING, WITH BAKER PLAYED BY STEVE," THE MANAGER" LABAO. CHECK IT OUT@

ayan, wala ka ng sapi, tolits!  hehe... 

kelan rehersal?  post din ako ng gig announcement.