hulika

Author Topic: What pickups do you have/do you use in your guitar?  (Read 35253 times)

Offline knet370

Re: What pickups do you have/do you use in your guitar?
« Reply #225 on: October 13, 2015, 01:05:41 PM »
What hasn’t been said about the JB ? Mainly used in the bridge position, the SH-4 is high-gain, low, punchy, great for blues or hard rock, and can edge into ‘metal’ territory if you have the right rig. Cleans are warm, less sterile than a lot of pups in the bridge.
Guitar used: Carvin CT4 (Mahogany)

The Illuminator bridge is an improvement on the Crunchlab; more ‘open' sounding, bump in the mid-range, less ‘compressed’ sounding than the CL. Cleans so so in the bridge, better in the neck.
Guitar used: EBMM Majesty (Basswood, maple top)

The Titan bridge is full on high gain without the mud, in other words AWESOME. It’s got nice bottom end and mid-range if that makes any sense. TIGHT. It reminds me a lot of a Dominion bridge but with greater output, clarity, sustain and smoother overall. The clean in the neck is just so warm, ‘sparkly’ even, PAF like.; and also great for leads. Overall, compared to the other two: more clarity, tighter mid-range w/ good low, just smoother w/ more sustain.
Guitar used:Ibanez RGA121 (Mahogany)

*For reference:

Set-up 1-guitars > KPA > JBL monitors or DXR10.
Set-up 2- guitars > pedals> Mark V > Two Notes Torpedo Live > JBL monitors or DXR10.

Note that I’m not a big fan of cleans in the bridge, they tend to be ’sterile’ sounding imo. I prefer the neck for cleans, but that’s just me.

Of course, obviously, different guitars, rigs all lend to various end sound/results. So many various factors to consider. That JB 59 combo in my Carvin CT4  which sounded really good sounded not so good in my Washburn WM526, which also had a mahogany body.

My advice is to used other user’s reviews as a ‘guideline’ and check for yourself if it works for your guitar and set-up if chance or circumstance allows.

Plus these are just my opinions/experiences, YMMV as usual. :)

MA

in my experience naman the titan for me was too much of a mid for the bridge position. i liked the dominion better. it stays right in the middle when it comes to attack. what you forgot to mention was the attack the titan has. super sensitive. like a "clack clack clack" but i would understand why its like that because of jake's preference for that signature periphery djent attack.
on the other hand, i loooooveee the neck titan. so buttery compared to liquifire or illuminator. has that distinctive glassy pick attack when you do fast runs on the neck positions. almost like a malmsteen yjm fury. :) by the way the titan set was equipped on my ibanez rg2720. it has now a dominion set in it.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 01:11:14 PM by knet370 »

Offline Master At Arms

« Reply #226 on: October 13, 2015, 10:19:08 PM »
cool! thanks for the review.  :)

No prob bro, you're welcome , glad to share my feedback  :wave:

in my experience naman the titan for me was too much of a mid for the bridge position. i liked the dominion better. it stays right in the middle when it comes to attack. what you forgot to mention was the attack the titan has. super sensitive. like a "clack clack clack" but i would understand why its like that because of jake's preference for that signature periphery djent attack.
on the other hand, i loooooveee the neck titan. so buttery compared to liquifire or illuminator. has that distinctive glassy pick attack when you do fast runs on the neck positions. almost like a malmsteen yjm fury. :) by the way the titan set was equipped on my ibanez rg2720. it has now a dominion set in it.

yep dats what I liked about it, that 'tightness'. Tight w/ more sustain. I hear you about the Titan neck for leads, but I still prefer bridge for dat. (Though I do like my Cold Sweat neck for leads in my JS1000).. That 'clack' character you hear, I didn't like in my Dominions (RGA121) which is why I replaced them. I'm a LOG fan and liked Mark Morton's tone but found the Dominions sorta 'lacking' though my own set-up. They're nice pickups but wasn't for me. To each his own :)
“Now I see that I will never find the light
Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel,
Consuming myself.” - Bruce Lee https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007963455307

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #227 on: October 16, 2015, 07:17:37 AM »
Transition and Cruiser on my main guitar.

Offline iccurtepnhoj

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #228 on: July 30, 2016, 03:28:40 PM »
seems DiMarzio having new pickups for John Petrucci called DiMarzio Sonic Ecstasy

« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 03:31:09 PM by iccurtepnhoj »
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SterlingbyMusicMan/Zoom G3Xn SBMM JP100 Alice String 427PJP
"Strong sense of synchronization between the two [playing] hands,Different Strum for Different Folks"
http://sterlingbymusicman.com/

Offline max28

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #229 on: August 29, 2016, 05:32:16 PM »
what pickups would you suggest for a H-H volume knob only guitar? yung versatile sana

Offline anjoesatriani

• Veteran Member
« Reply #230 on: August 30, 2016, 09:01:39 AM »
what pickups would you suggest for a H-H volume knob only guitar? yung versatile sana

what's your guitar, tuning, and genre most of the time?

Offline Freak

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #231 on: August 30, 2016, 12:50:52 PM »

Washburn N2?

Offline Boxedking

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #232 on: August 30, 2016, 08:47:15 PM »
Mostly ng Ibanez Iron Labels ganito setup. They come with EMGs 61 and 80.
www.soundclick.com/viruprison | www.soundcloud.com/lei-guitarist

Don't let the gearhead kill the musician in you. Philmusic s/b PhilGEAR

Offline max28

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #233 on: September 01, 2016, 10:17:51 AM »
Tuning is Dropp C and Eb standard. the guitar is ibanez RGD420z
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 10:20:06 AM by max28 »

Offline dullFingers

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #234 on: September 03, 2016, 02:16:20 PM »
I have a Yamaha rgx611j equipped with Seymour Duncan hot rails on the neck and DiMarzio d'activator X on the bridge.

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #235 on: September 05, 2016, 07:20:51 AM »
EMG S Active Pups set on my Strat. #ValleyArts

#DigitalHiyaw

Offline anjoesatriani

• Veteran Member
« Reply #236 on: September 05, 2016, 08:52:59 AM »
Tuning is Dropp C and Eb standard. the guitar is ibanez RGD420z

For passives: you can't go wrong with DiMarzio CrunchLab/Liquifire, or Titan, or Seymour Duncan Distortion.
For actives: I recommend EMG 85/60, or Seymour Duncan Blackouts AHB-1.

It really depends with the tone you're looking for  :)

P.S.:wait for other's BKP recommendations.

Offline max28

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #237 on: September 05, 2016, 10:14:35 AM »
people suggest me the BKP Nailbomb but . . .  1st it is bang on the buck 2nd you think it can fit guitar with a basswood body?

Offline ME-30maniac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #238 on: September 05, 2016, 01:16:05 PM »
people suggest me the BKP Nailbomb but . . .  1st it is bang on the buck 2nd you think it can fit guitar with a basswood body?

anong po bang gitara ang nasa arsenal niyo ngayon sir? mahal din po ang pickups galing Bare Knuckle eh. regardless of guitar wood eh wala naman po yatang magiging problema. check niyo rin kung ano 'yung size ng current guitar pickups niyo para malaman kung compatible ba yung BKP Nailbomb.

Offline knet370

« Reply #239 on: September 05, 2016, 02:14:22 PM »

1. no its not bang for the buck. 300$ for a pair vs around 140-190$ the most for production dimarzio and SD.
but for me as a user, it has its own characteristics(im referrering to what i own/owned and comparing it the the dimarzio and sd's that i owned aswell),
that suits my kind of tone. by the way ive been using painkillers, cold sweats, warpig and emerald.

as for if you choose dmz or sd, id recommend the ff:
dimarzio neck: liquifire, airnorton, illuminator, paf pro, gravity storm.
dimarzio bridge: dominion, dactivator, titan. not a fan of crunchlab but some likes it.

sd: sentient/pegasus set, black winter set, perpetual burn bridge(my favorite), old time favorite jb/59 set.

2. more like can it fit the route of your guitar? especially if your pickup route has either the triangular tab/ear or the square tab/ear aswell as the overall route shape/size aswell.

see pic:

on the 7S, the bkp covered pickup doesnt fit the overall pickup route even though i have the tab/ears requested to have a triangular shape. the pickup routes corner edges needs to be more square-ish. case to case basis for bkp covered pickups. for the uncovered, usually sa tabs lang ayaw mag kasya tsaka if long leg or short leg ang pickup.

hth :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 04:01:09 PM by knet370 »

Offline anjoesatriani

• Veteran Member
« Reply #240 on: September 05, 2016, 06:31:15 PM »

1. no its not bang for the buck. 300$ for a pair vs around 140-190$ the most for production dimarzio and SD.

I somehow agree. Given nasa $500+ yung guitar, it's not that worth it. The alternative I suggest is Titan since you're eyeing on Nailbomb, and you mentioned versatility.

plus the gold cover looks badass with your guitar  :wink:

Offline max28

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #241 on: September 06, 2016, 01:29:16 AM »
but for me as a user, it has its own characteristics(im referrering to what i own/owned and comparing it the the dimarzio and sd's that i owned aswell),
that suits my kind of tone. by the way ive been using painkillers, cold sweats, warpig and emerald.

as for if you choose dmz or sd, id recommend the ff:
dimarzio neck: liquifire, airnorton, illuminator, paf pro, gravity storm.
dimarzio bridge: dominion, dactivator, titan. not a fan of crunchlab but some likes it.

sd: sentient/pegasus set, black winter set, perpetual burn bridge(my favorite), old time favorite jb/59 set.

2. more like can it fit the route of your guitar? especially if your pickup route has either the triangular tab/ear or the square tab/ear aswell as the overall route shape/size aswell.

see pic:

on the 7S, the bkp covered pickup doesnt fit the overall pickup route even though i have the tab/ears requested to have a triangular shape. the pickup routes corner edges needs to be more square-ish. case to case basis for bkp covered pickups. for the uncovered, usually sa tabs lang ayaw mag kasya tsaka if long leg or short leg ang pickup.

hth :)

I don't have any idea about the pickup fittings but all I know that is my guitar is direct mounting and yes I am eyeing with the Illuminator and Titan more djenty feel and when it comes with SD pegasus/nazgul/sentinent is one of my choices but I had to think thrice about the perpetual burn because most of the guitar equipped with it have different kinds of of wiring like split coil/tone/volume controls but on my case I only have a volume knob so I think I can't use the pickups more than it should be

Offline dendelion

« Reply #242 on: September 06, 2016, 04:00:13 AM »
Does anyone have any experience with BKP trilogy suite set? Or ano kayang pwede isubstitute if i go the seymour duncan route?

Offline robinonibor

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #243 on: September 06, 2016, 04:59:12 AM »
EMG S Active Pups set on my Strat. #ValleyArts

Damn sexy strat  :-D

Offline changedmynametojimi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #244 on: September 06, 2016, 05:23:57 AM »
• Dimarzio Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues 2 & Virtual Solo for the strat
• Gibson 57 Classic & BKP Emerald  for the SG (57 classic soon to be replaced by BKP Riff Raff Neck)

Sent from my SM-A700FD using Tapatalk

Offline iccurtepnhoj

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #245 on: October 12, 2016, 12:57:57 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SterlingbyMusicMan/Zoom G3Xn SBMM JP100 Alice String 427PJP
"Strong sense of synchronization between the two [playing] hands,Different Strum for Different Folks"
http://sterlingbymusicman.com/

Offline iamweird

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #246 on: October 12, 2016, 07:56:30 AM »
PRS SE Custom 24 - Dimarzio super disto on bridge and liquifre
Ibanez RG 7421 - Stock quantum pups pero nag-iisip/naghahanap ako ng pwedeng ipalit.  :)
Instead of searching for what to buy next, why not search for what to learn next?

Offline mjsmanahan29

« Reply #247 on: October 12, 2016, 08:42:26 AM »
Seymour Duncan Blackouts AHB -1 Active Pickups

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline mjsmanahan29

« Reply #248 on: October 12, 2016, 08:43:33 AM »
IBZ - 8 in Ibanez RG8

Offline mjsmanahan29

« Reply #249 on: October 12, 2016, 08:44:10 AM »
IBZ - 8 In Ibanez RG8