hulika

Author Topic: Best age to learn sax?  (Read 3127 times)

Offline dictatone

Best age to learn sax?
« on: January 30, 2012, 05:26:48 PM »
Can a 20+/30+ people still learn sax? I mean, what are the disadvantages of starting late?

Things to consider/know before starting to study sax?

thanks
Jesus my strenght and my refuge!

Offline Sigesigesputnik

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Re: Best age to learn sax?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 03:12:16 AM »
Answers are within you.. you just need to ask yourself again... :) (fyi. others started when they're 40's)

Offline busykillingdragons

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 01:52:05 PM »
I believe there is no age limit to start learning the sax.  :-D Heck, I am 23 years old and I am planning to buy my first horn as soon as I save enough money. As with any discpline that involves hand to eye coordination, It will always be undoubtedly easier for toddlers and early teens because they can still pickup up new information like sponges.

Based on what I have been reading,  you should at least can blow into a sax, willing to learn how to control you breath and have all your10 fingers intact if you want to learn the sax.  :-D So.. no firecrackers for us every New Year.  :wink:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 01:58:46 PM by busykillingdragons »

Offline jeff_proX40

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 03:22:11 AM »
Well experience wise, the earlier the better. A lot of good horn and reed player I know started playing when they were in first year high school (probably 10-11 y/o) and they can jam with bands with no worries as they already know the fundamentals of scales, thier instruments and thier ears (if it's in tune or not). I was in the marching band since high school and in college and I play the trumpet back then (started 10 y/o) but my real forte is playing drums cause I started earlier (7 y/o) playing it. You can try playing sax at your age as long as you already know the basics and fundamentals of music such as: notes reading, atleast finished Solfeo (Note Reading Book), Know's how scales work and knows how to transpose notes from piano to sax and vice versa. If not then you'll have a long way to go. hehehe . I would also say that it also depend on what your goal is, is it just to play a basic song in sax for a single event or are you planing on joining an orchestra/ quartet/ band/ big band etc. or just for fun? Just my 2 cents
Just let your music fill the empty spaces in you. It's all you have so take advantage of it. It's a gift!