hulika

Author Topic: ISTANBUL cymbals thread  (Read 170126 times)

Offline technical1

hello mga sir ,, tanong lang po ano po sa line ng istanbul ang dark sounding and fast decay ? thanks  :)

Offline mokie

• Veteran Member
Re: ISTANBUL cymbals thread
« Reply #501 on: January 21, 2012, 06:41:43 PM »
may 19" Crash and 12" splash po ba ang istanbul ngayon dito? ano po kayang babagay sa samatya set ko na 19" crash ng istanbul? Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 10:42:44 PM by mokie »

Offline vandal

« Reply #502 on: February 03, 2012, 02:37:01 AM »
anybody here owns origin dark crashes?
Smart has the brains but stupid has the balls.

Offline gss

• Veteran Member
« Reply #503 on: February 03, 2012, 10:28:09 AM »
anybody here owns origin dark crashes?

sir afaik there is no origin dark crash...based on istanbul's catalogue, there are two lines of origin - "origin dark" which has rides and hi-hats only, and "origin" which has crashes, rides, and hi-hats...but who knows? istanbul being a smaller company than the big 4 is flexible enough and may opt to produce "off catalogue" cymbals...to illustrate, i have a 20inch samatya crash cymbal as my ride, which i chose over a real 20inch samatya ride for its lighter weight, feel, sound and overall versatility...only to find out later that there are no 20inch samatya crashes (18 inch is the max based on the catalogues). to satisfy my curiosity, i recently emailed istanbul and asked if they do produce this size of cymbal. Mr. Arslan, their export director, replied that when he asked Mr. Mehmet about it he said that "it's possible to make this size of crash. We are not sure but it might
be specially produced. For being sure, if it's crash or ride we have to hear it." having read this, my seemingly ordinary crash has suddenly made me excited....on the other hand, it may just be a simple labelling error....but then again, coming from Mr. Mehmet himself, i feel obliged to send them a sound file...

on this note, patulong naman mga sir, how do you make the proper sound file to help them establish if my cymbal is a ride or crash? Tama ba ang bell-bow-edge then crash sequence? Will it help if i also weigh the cymbal...or make a video instead?

going back to the origin dark crash...it will take more than an error on their part if this type of crash ever comes out since the make is totally different from the origin...based on the above, it's a possibility kung mag-iba ang mood nila...

i hope istanbul stays "small and special" and doesn't go the way of the bigger cymbal makers...

Offline vandal

« Reply #504 on: February 03, 2012, 03:35:27 PM »
^yes bro, sa catalogue wala, pero pwedeng special order. a member of PDF has one.  :)

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?64358-Everything-ISTANBUL/page64

post #759 and #761.

nagbakasakali lang na meron din satin dito na may ganto, hehe. i loved the sound of the origin dark ride when i tried it, so if ever they decide to sell crashes of the same line, i think it'll be great news. :)

you sent them an e-mail? cool! i think it'll be better if you make a video. just showcase the cymbal like how memphis drum shop does it in their YT videos. let us know. :mrgreen:

Offline mokie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #505 on: February 04, 2012, 10:15:07 PM »
meron po bang Istanbul 21" Ride, 13" hats, 12" Splash dito satin? thanks! no time po kasi pumunta ng LAZER shops ngayon.  :idea:

Offline vandal

« Reply #506 on: February 06, 2012, 07:01:55 AM »
^may nakita na akong 13" na Sultan na naka display dati, sir. kaso months ago pa yun. Mr.clEEn can help you out sa iba mong tanong. sorry not much of a help here.

anyway, i was able to test the 14" Turk hats. they weren't as dry as i expected them to be, but man.. :drool: i don't know if they sound better than my K Mastersounds or if they just sound different that's why i liked them. bottom line is, the Turk sounds awesome. they are not for everyone, though.

the origin dark ride was also a joy to listen to.

an effects crash, china, aux hats, and a splash. the number of istanbul pies in my kit is slowly catching up with the number of zildjians. masama 'to. :lol:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 08:50:33 AM by vandal »

Offline gss

• Veteran Member
« Reply #507 on: February 06, 2012, 09:45:12 AM »
^may nakita na akong 13" na Sultan na naka display dati, sir. kaso months ago pa yun. Mr.clEEn can help you out sa iba mong tanong. sorry not much of a help here.

anyway, i was able to test the 14" Turk hats. they weren't as dry as i expected them to be, but man.. :drool: i don't know if they sound better than my K Mastersounds or if they just sound different that's why i liked them. bottom line is, the Turk sounds awesome. they are not for everyone, though.

the origin dark ride was also a joy to listen to.

an effects crash, china, aux hats, and a splash. the number of istanbul pies in my kit is slowly catching up with the number of zildjians. masama 'to. :lol:

sir parang main cymbals na papunta a... 8-)

Offline vandal

« Reply #508 on: February 07, 2012, 06:51:11 AM »
^hindi yan. hinde. hindeeeeeeee!!! :lol:

okay na ako sa mga hats and rides na meron ako. may mga nakatambak pa ako, hindi naman nagagamit. sa crashes, pwede pa siguro ako kumuha, pero out of want nalang siguro yun, hindi na out of need. right now, i can't afford to buy an item out of want.  :-D

sa mga nababasa ko sa net, i guess it's a pretty common trend for zildjian users to shift to istanbuls. mostly yung mga matatagal ng pumapalo who have been looking for that old zildjian sound or yung mga talagang nagsawa na sa mga tunog ng current zildjian/sabian pies ngayon.

Offline plitipiw40315

• Veteran Member
« Reply #509 on: February 07, 2012, 09:12:28 AM »

sa mga nababasa ko sa net, i guess it's a pretty common trend for zildjian users to shift to istanbuls. mostly yung mga matatagal ng pumapalo who have been looking for that old zildjian sound or yung mga talagang nagsawa na sa mga tunog ng current zildjian/sabian pies ngayon.

this is so true bro, one concrete example si ser sandy..hehehe, muntik nadin ako mag shift from zildjian to istanbul, pero nasayangan ako sa investment ko sa Z's kaya 2nd set nalang siguro ang isatnbul pag nagkapera..hehe  :-D
...drummers are good ROLL models...

Offline sandythedrummer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #510 on: February 08, 2012, 07:16:37 PM »
^hindi yan. hinde. hindeeeeeeee!!! :lol:

okay na ako sa mga hats and rides na meron ako. may mga nakatambak pa ako, hindi naman nagagamit. sa crashes, pwede pa siguro ako kumuha, pero out of want nalang siguro yun, hindi na out of need. right now, i can't afford to buy an item out of want.  :-D

Haha ako talaga example ah! Hehehe.. Well i still have my old zildjians 22 Light K Con, 18 KCD Crash, 18 Amrand Crash, 16 A Custom Crash, 8 A Custom Aplash, and 14 K CUstom Dark Hats.

I made a switch for present and future purchases coz:
1. Sonic Qualities. I love to darkness natural sounding of istanbul Mehmets.
2. Distributor relationship. It's great connecting w Lazer staff. Mejo deteriorated na kasi relationship ko w JB Music kaya feeling ko Lazer will be a solid supporter for me.
3. PRICE!!! As in. I'm not buying a 14.000 peso 16in Crash!!! I can get an excellent sounding crash w/ Istanbul Mehmets 5-7k lang.

That's it. Reasonable naman diba?
"I BELIEVE IN CHRIST LIKE I BELIEVE IN THE SUN. NOT BECAUSE I CAN SEE IT, BUT BY IT, I CAN SEE EVERYONE ELSE....."

Offline curry

« Reply #511 on: February 08, 2012, 07:47:43 PM »
^
True!

Offline gss

• Veteran Member
« Reply #512 on: February 10, 2012, 08:20:43 AM »
^yes bro, sa catalogue wala, pero pwedeng special order. a member of PDF has one.  :)

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?64358-Everything-ISTANBUL/page64

post #759 and #761.

nagbakasakali lang na meron din satin dito na may ganto, hehe. i loved the sound of the origin dark ride when i tried it, so if ever they decide to sell crashes of the same line, i think it'll be great news. :)

you sent them an e-mail? cool! i think it'll be better if you make a video. just showcase the cymbal like how memphis drum shop does it in their YT videos. let us know. :mrgreen:

Sir vandal i sent them a video as you suggested and got a reply after a few days, it's a ride...so it was a labelling error...anyway i'm happy whatever it may be. Kudos to istanbul for being accommodating and supportive!  :)

Offline curry

« Reply #513 on: February 10, 2012, 11:42:46 PM »
I saw this Muratan ride at Lazer Ali mall,it's the best ride for me there.... Mismo talaga.
  :drool:

Offline vandal

« Reply #514 on: February 13, 2012, 02:05:24 AM »
it's a ride...so it was a labelling error.
astig! that makes your cymbal cooler! kumbaga sa dollar bill na misprint, mas mataas ang value. :-D

my 12" Turk hats. tuyong-tuyo ang itsura! no, the ride does not hit the Turks. :)

Offline technical1

« Reply #515 on: March 12, 2012, 01:41:23 PM »
ang ganda ng Istanbul Murathan na ride na nakita ko kagabi sa SM north branch! yun yung tunog na matagal kong hinahanap  :idea: haha kaya lang wala pa sale abang muna hahaha  :lol:

Offline sandythedrummer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #516 on: March 12, 2012, 04:07:04 PM »
Hinahamon ko lahat ng may dark ride jan na talunin ang Darkness wash ng bagong kong ride.
I owned a 20 KCDR for 4 years. SOOOOObrang layo ng differences nila compared sa Mehmet Legend ride ko.
"I BELIEVE IN CHRIST LIKE I BELIEVE IN THE SUN. NOT BECAUSE I CAN SEE IT, BUT BY IT, I CAN SEE EVERYONE ELSE....."

Offline technical1

« Reply #517 on: March 12, 2012, 05:28:25 PM »
Hinahamon ko lahat ng may dark ride jan na talunin ang Darkness wash ng bagong kong ride.
I owned a 20 KCDR for 4 years. SOOOOObrang layo ng differences nila compared sa Mehmet Legend ride ko.

sir sandy how much mo nakuha yang ride na yan and ilang inches po?  :idea:

Offline gss

• Veteran Member
« Reply #518 on: March 12, 2012, 07:08:33 PM »
sir sandy how much mo nakuha yang ride na yan and ilang inches po?  :idea:

:-o awesome hammering sir sandy...

Offline mokie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #519 on: March 12, 2012, 09:15:07 PM »
^sandythedrummer - sir sandy ang ganda niyan ah..  :drool:

may mga nakasubok na po ba dito ng 13" hats ng Istanbul? comments naman po papalitan ko kasi yung 14" hats samatya ko ng 13".. thanks!

Offline vandal

« Reply #520 on: March 12, 2012, 10:03:48 PM »

soundclip! soundclip!  :-D

Offline sandythedrummer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #521 on: March 12, 2012, 11:31:12 PM »
10,880 sha. Size 20inches.
Sunod na bibilhin ko 18 crash naman na Legend!!
Panis yung Sand ride ko dito! Yun nga lang pang low volume setting lang ito. Best part is pwede ren shang gawing crash!!

Sound clips as requested!!
feature=youtu.be

Offline pejadanza

« Reply #522 on: March 13, 2012, 12:21:59 PM »
na intrigue ako sa cymbals na to after reading the thread. and i researched it. nakita ko sa ibang forums.

Istanbul Agop comes from the original company first known as Zilciler then simply Istanbul. Bosphorus {formed later by workers at the original Istanbul factory under Agop and Mehmet} and other new Turkish handmade cymbal companies too followed after Agops accidental death in 96 when the company was split up into two. Now you have Istanbul Agop owned by Agops sons Arman and Sarkis {soon to be known simply as Agop} Istanbul Mehmet, Bosphorus, Masterwork, Diril etc.. who all {at some point} worked or had direct connections to the original Istanbul/Zilciler cymbal company and factory formed and operated by Agop and Mehmet after the closing of the old Zildjian K factory in Istanbul, Turkey in 78. Agop Tomurcuk was the foreman of the Turkish Zildjian K factory when it was closed.

The new company and factory started up in1980 in Istanbul, Turkey under Mehmet Tamdeger and Agop Tomurcuk and the rest as they say is history to what you see today. - posted by steamer from drummerworld.

so these many brands coming out today are some of Zildjians artisans who went there way making their own line of cymbals. very interesting kasi value for money wise, mura talga si istanbul.
Pearl Masterworks, Sabian, Gibraltar, Roland, Mackie, Sennhieser

Offline sandythedrummer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #523 on: March 13, 2012, 12:30:32 PM »
Eto pa.

Masterwork Cymbals - Makers of Soultone and TRX
Diril - Makers of Meinl Byzance and Paiste Twenty Series( BUt siezed ops 2008)

Offline pejadanza

« Reply #524 on: March 13, 2012, 12:37:01 PM »
Eto pa.

Masterwork Cymbals - Makers of Soultone and TRX
Diril - Makers of Meinl Byzance and Paiste Twenty Series( BUt siezed ops 2008)

sabi ko na nga ba. rebranding lang talaga tong ibang brands ngayon. luge tayo mahal pa ng singil!!!

which is readily available dito sa pinas, istanbul agop? or istanbul mehmet? ung dalawang brand available po ba sa lazer? d ko masyadong na basa ung ibang post. hehe.
Pearl Masterworks, Sabian, Gibraltar, Roland, Mackie, Sennhieser