hulika

Author Topic: The Earphones/Headphones Thread  (Read 458358 times)

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: The Earphones/Headphones Thread
« Reply #1475 on: March 17, 2015, 11:06:17 AM »
I'm Only using an iphone 5s for a music player. Nung tinesting ko yung fiio e6 mas lumakas lang yung audio. Hind ko nasubukan yung equalizer though. May iba pa ba dapat akong gawin? Thanks.

The Fiio E6 really does just that, amplify and EQ. I'd get an e6 if I wanted to use high impedance headphones with my iPhone, or tighten up the sound a bit, (or destroy my ears,) but if I'm gunning for better sound, I'd get some other portable headphone amp that uses a Lightning connector so I can bypass the DAC and/or internal amp.
https://soundcloud.com/sonicassault
Turn up the sympathsizer and give me more waffle.
olive oil garlic tomatoes salt pepper basil oregano thyme chili

Offline vahnleyn

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #1476 on: March 27, 2015, 10:54:08 AM »
Thanks for replying. Sorry for my late reply as well. I just bought the sol republic v8. Will the e6 help with the quality? And ano yung amp na may lightning connector para may ma bypass? I'm Kind of ignorant Bout these things. I just want to drift away while listening to music. It really takes away all of my stress.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1477 on: March 27, 2015, 11:58:28 AM »
Thanks for replying. Sorry for my late reply as well. I just bought the sol republic v8. Will the e6 help with the quality? And ano yung amp na may lightning connector para may ma bypass? I'm Kind of ignorant Bout these things. I just want to drift away while listening to music. It really takes away all of my stress.

I don't think it will help a good lot, and I think it's best to not buy an amp because that's money down the drain. The reason being that an amp like the E6 more than anything else is there to help push high impedance headphones (the V8 isn't one of them), because high impedance headphones need more power to push the drivers. Plug one of those high end cans into your ipod and they'd sound so quiet because the ipod's amp isnt powerful.

For lower impedance headphones like the ones we usually have, something like the E6 will just function like an extended volume knob more than anything. And if you have to push beyond the max volume of your player, that'll damage your ears.

If anything, the E6 will tighten the sound a bit, but not much else. As for the bypass thing:
Our phones and PMPs hav built-in converters and amps which aren't as good as dedicated converters and amps like the ones Fiio has. However, a product like the E6 only has a line input, which means it does not bypass the player's internal converters. Effectively, you're amplifying the less-than-stellar audio signal from your phone's converter. One that uses a Lightning connector means the player will transmit the digital audio data through the lighting cable into the external amp's converter then into the external amp's amp then to your cans. Not familiar with amps that are MFi as most of them support USB (Android), but check this one out just pulled it from Google: http://www.uk.onkyo.com/en/articles/onkyo-introduces-the-world-s-first-portable-headphone-dac-amp-for-direct-digital-connection-to-ios-and-android-mobile-devices-118148.html

Offline vahnleyn

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #1478 on: March 29, 2015, 08:43:05 AM »
Thank you very kindly for your detailed reply.

You mean the v8 is just fine as is? I feel that its drivers is enough and does not need an amp anymore based on what you said an amp is only for high impedance headphones. I just thought it would help the quality. And yes I dont want to damage my ears. Maybe in the future I'll be able to buy a headphone that needs an amp for me to experience the difference. I'll study more devices and ask around before I do anything. Thanks again! I'll share a picture of my v8 soon. Makikigaya lang sa mga nag popost dito. Hehe.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1479 on: March 30, 2015, 09:20:24 AM »
Thank you very kindly for your detailed reply.

You mean the v8 is just fine as is? I feel that its drivers is enough and does not need an amp anymore based on what you said an amp is only for high impedance headphones. I just thought it would help the quality. And yes I dont want to damage my ears. Maybe in the future I'll be able to buy a headphone that needs an amp for me to experience the difference. I'll study more devices and ask around before I do anything. Thanks again! I'll share a picture of my v8 soon. Makikigaya lang sa mga nag popost dito. Hehe.

Yep, I think it's fine!  :) Lugi ka sa amp kasi konti lang yung benefit for the price.

Well, an amp like the E6 is for any type of earphone, but consider the combinations/scenarios which you'd use a similar device:
-Line level source (which is weaker than the headphone out signal; such as computer line out, or the line out from a player like the Fiio X1) + any impedance earphone
-Headphone level source (iPod, iPhone, generally anything you can plug your standard earbuds to) + high impedance earphone

FWIW, you can start with an affordable audiophile headphone like the AudioTechnica M50 or the Grado SR80e (both are low impedance by the way), a nice player with line out or something where you can bypass the internal amp like the Fiio X1 , and a headphone amp. Wala nga lang inline controls like the V8  :lol:

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1480 on: April 08, 2015, 04:08:20 PM »
Anyone here know where I can find a case for my Grado SR80e? I've checked the UDG cases at TMS and I didn't like them.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1481 on: April 08, 2015, 04:12:37 PM »
Anyone here know where I can find a case for my Grado SR80e? I've checked the UDG cases at TMS and I didn't like them.

I was considering the same cases for the same cans. Why didn't you like them?

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1482 on: April 11, 2015, 07:59:51 PM »
I was considering the same cases for the same cans. Why didn't you like them?

They have two variants. One is too small for the Grado. The other was too large/bulky for me. I've seen some at amazon, yung Earzonk, tingin ko would be a good choice. Sana meron locally.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1483 on: April 13, 2015, 08:52:17 AM »
They have two variants. One is too small for the Grado. The other was too large/bulky for me. I've seen some at amazon, yung Earzonk, tingin ko would be a good choice. Sana meron locally.

too large that the cans itself bounce inside? I don't like the idea  :-( if its a snug fit but just bulky I think I'll take it though. Better than buying one of those waterproof mission impossible cases (what do you call those plastic case things) from CDR King and cutting out the foam in the shape of the cans  :eek:

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1484 on: April 19, 2015, 11:55:28 AM »
too large that the cans itself bounce inside? I don't like the idea  :-( if its a snug fit but just bulky I think I'll take it though. Better than buying one of those waterproof mission impossible cases (what do you call those plastic case things) from CDR King and cutting out the foam in the shape of the cans  :eek:

Yeah. The UDG cases were made for DJ headphones, which are larger than the Grados.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1485 on: April 20, 2015, 08:12:51 AM »
Yeah. The UDG cases were made for DJ headphones, which are larger than the Grados.

how about rolling some cloth inside, or DIY-ing some foam inserts? I'd check those out either way and see if it can be better than the mission impossible cases (ano ba tawag dun hahaha)

Offline loubs_king

« Reply #1486 on: May 22, 2015, 12:20:23 PM »

Share ko po yung gamit ko ngayon...

Ipod>FiioE3>FiioE3>Audio Technica ATH SJ33
EQ: Rock

Sounds great...

Nga lang yung ATH SJ33 sobrang baba ng build quality, madaling masira yung sa may jack kaya ingatan mabuti, naputol na din yung joint nya para matiklop, pero kaya remedyohan ng mighty bond...

Downsize ko yung Fidue A31s, EQ: Normal...
Simply Rocks....  :mrgreen:
-------------------------------------------------
Loubert
loubs_king@yahoo.com

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1487 on: May 22, 2015, 12:32:21 PM »

Share ko po yung gamit ko ngayon...

Ipod>FiioE3>FiioE3>Audio Technica ATH SJ33
EQ: Rock

Sounds great...

Nga lang yung ATH SJ33 sobrang baba ng build quality, madaling masira yung sa may jack kaya ingatan mabuti, naputol na din yung joint nya para matiklop, pero kaya remedyohan ng mighty bond...

Downsize ko yung Fidue A31s, EQ: Normal...
Simply Rocks....  :mrgreen:

bakit dalawa yung amp?  :)

Offline loubs_king

« Reply #1488 on: May 22, 2015, 12:43:05 PM »
bakit dalawa yung amp?  :)

Para po mas maganda tunog. Naka stack yung dalawang Fiio.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 01:08:52 PM by loubs_king »
Loubert
loubs_king@yahoo.com

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1489 on: May 22, 2015, 01:31:48 PM »
Para po mas maganda tunog. Naka stack yung dalawang Fiio.

di ba nagdidistort yan kasi dalawang amplifier stage tapos low impedance headphones?

Offline loubs_king

« Reply #1490 on: May 22, 2015, 04:36:20 PM »
di ba nagdidistort yan kasi dalawang amplifier stage tapos low impedance headphones?

Pag nilakas mo ng ndi na kaya ng cans.
Ndi naman po ako malakas masyado magpatugtog kaya swabe lang...
Loubert
loubs_king@yahoo.com

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1491 on: May 22, 2015, 05:52:59 PM »
Pag nilakas mo ng ndi na kaya ng cans.
Ndi naman po ako malakas masyado magpatugtog kaya swabe lang...

ano po yung effect pag naka-chain sya?  :)

Offline loubs_king

« Reply #1492 on: May 22, 2015, 10:27:02 PM »
ano po yung effect pag naka-chain sya?  :)
Well basically it's an identical amp, just 2 stage..
Other than the volume and eq, gumanda din talaga yung tunog ng cans.
Madami ding mga headphiles na nag sstack ng 2 magkaibang amp depende sa panlasa nila.

I'm still on a budget kaya ntry ko yung 2 fiio, ok naman sya kaya yun na ginawa kong setup.
Gumanda naman tunog kaya ok lang...

I'm plannning to buy Fiio x1 and ATH m50 (for studio/home) use and a bose headphone with noise cancellation for casual.
Loubert
loubs_king@yahoo.com

Offline CeL1916

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1493 on: May 25, 2015, 10:20:53 PM »
Hindi ba advisable na mag amp pa kung mp3 at average compression ang pinapakinggan mo?
PM Transaction References: Rmansh/Miong_Magno/Pentagram_x/Julandmic09/Vanhatred/Liway77/cyrus2477/jracz_28/ichigo02/
thenameisjm/teddy_munoz/Xelly/haha/ekoy08/kalel_23/sensei_24/lucky/drahcirnna24/r_chino/ilikecarrots

Offline jmwreck

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1494 on: May 26, 2015, 09:34:48 AM »

Here's mine. Got the 3580 at the local grocery store and I'm so glad I bought it. :D

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1495 on: May 26, 2015, 09:36:54 AM »
Hindi ba advisable na mag amp pa kung mp3 at average compression ang pinapakinggan mo?

yeah, kung hindi papalo ng 320kbps yung mp3 mo, wag na lang. actually mas ok  yun kasi hindi sasama yung loob mo kasi maririnig mo na yung kulang sa lower bitrate mp3s. but more than that, mas nasa earphones sya kaysa sa amp. tbh you can get away with high quality low impedance amps and call it a day if you're dealing with lower bitrate mp3s

Offline CeL1916

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1496 on: May 27, 2015, 04:16:20 AM »
yeah, kung hindi papalo ng 320kbps yung mp3 mo, wag na lang. actually mas ok  yun kasi hindi sasama yung loob mo kasi maririnig mo na yung kulang sa lower bitrate mp3s. but more than that, mas nasa earphones sya kaysa sa amp. tbh you can get away with high quality low impedance amps and call it a day if you're dealing with lower bitrate mp3s

Gotcha! Thanks!
PM Transaction References: Rmansh/Miong_Magno/Pentagram_x/Julandmic09/Vanhatred/Liway77/cyrus2477/jracz_28/ichigo02/
thenameisjm/teddy_munoz/Xelly/haha/ekoy08/kalel_23/sensei_24/lucky/drahcirnna24/r_chino/ilikecarrots

Offline jepbueno

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1497 on: June 02, 2015, 04:16:02 PM »
Can you guys suggest comfortable earphones? And no I don't like "in-ear" earbuds. haha

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1498 on: June 02, 2015, 04:33:20 PM »
Can you guys suggest comfortable earphones? And no I don't like "in-ear" earbuds. haha

with no regard for price or sound quality, I have always found any full-sized circum/supraaural Bose pair really comfy

Offline jepbueno

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1499 on: June 02, 2015, 04:39:27 PM »
^hmm not headphones, just earphones. Decent quality for everyday use, maybe 3k max..

like this one

http://en-sg.sennheiser.com/stereo-earphones-smart-mobile-phones-mx-470