hulika

Author Topic: VOX Pathfinder 15R - Review anyone?  (Read 163552 times)

Offline burnthyfret

• Philmusicus Addictus
VOX Pathfinder 15R - Review anyone?
« on: January 11, 2009, 01:11:55 PM »
ang gaganda ng mga review sa internet nito e, pero what do you think about it?

here's the link to the product itself. http://www.voxamps.com/us/pathfinder/pathfinder15/

my marshall mg 15 is dying on me and i'm planning to replace it na for home practice, partucularly bedroom practice, so getting a bigger/louder amp wouldn't be too helpful to me. i also rely heavily on pedals to get my dirt sound as i play mostly blues, classic rock, hard rock and sometimes metal. of course it has also occured to me to get a tube amp, but one thing that bothers me about that is the cost, for it is a bit expensive to get a descent sounding tube amp. and according to the reviews, the pathfinder 15 is a solid state that actually sounds like a tube amp. so reviews anyone? would be really appreciated. :-)

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: VOX Pathfinder 15R - Review anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 05:04:57 AM »
If you love good tone and classic rock but cannot afford a tube amp yet then get the pathfinder 15. This is loud!

It behaves like a 1 channel tube amp. Set the gain low and master high and you get clean tones. Baligtarin mo with the gain high and master lower and you get crunchy sound typical of the 60s. Push the boost and you get distortion though not the heavy type. Di lang maganda gamitin yung boost switch for clean/distorted sound kasi sobrang laki ng increase a loudness.

Medyo mahirap timplahin sa umpisa lalo na pag nasanay ka sa 2 channel amp na pag clean eh yun na tapos pag lead channel distorted agad at any volume. Dito kahit mataas na gain pero light picking relatively clean pa rin pero pick or strum hard magiging distorted sya. Yun nga lang may mga settings na di maganda tunog parang di kaya ng bass so you really have to experiment.

Yung tremolo I have no use for it pero it's okay. Yung reverb is not good past 9 o'clock.

I highly recommend this amp. Totoo yung mga nababasa mo sa net. Yung nakabili ng pathfinder ko after hearing the amp sa bahay yan ang sinabi. Next day nagpost sya sa ad ko saying the same :-)

How does it compare with my blues junior na pinampalit ko? Sa clean iba pa rin ang fender maganda talaga. Pero if you want an overdriven sound without a pedal mas madali gawin sa pathfinder.

May nakita ako sa AP festival mall I suggest you go and try it.

I had a Marshall 10 watter before the vox and it was a no contest. In fairness to the marshall it had a small speaker and single tone control so all I got from it was varying volumes of distortion.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 05:07:19 AM by royc »

Offline burnthyfret

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 11:51:36 AM »
wow. thanks po sa review sir. any other reviews regarding this amp? :-) how does it compliment pedals, particularly overdrive and dirt pedal?

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 03:40:36 PM »
wow. thanks po sa review sir. any other reviews regarding this amp? :-) how does it compliment pedals, particularly overdrive and dirt pedal?

Ganda ng tunog sa zoom at wah ng kabanda ko wag mo lang isasabay sa 30w amp ng kabanda mo matatabunan.

Offline jdawg

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 08:40:45 PM »
Don't have the 15R but I have the 10. Agree with all of what royc mentioned.

In addition, you should try the 10/15R through a cab. It will sound like a completely different amp, and the boost channel actually sounds very decent when the amp is played through a cab.

Here's my solidstate Vox ministack  :-D

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 10:22:29 PM »
i agree..!!

vox pathfinder 15R user here.. hindi ka mag sisi.. clean is smooth and im using humbuckers heck you can even run electro-acoustic guitar with this thing. the reverb is good too.. although not as clean as fenders. its loud. the big cabinet actually improved the loudness of this amp.

question sa mga current users, is there a reliability issue on the current Made In China Vox Pathfinder ? i was lucky to have the last MIK pathfinder sold by yupangco..

I was alive in the forest
I was cut by the cruel axe
In life I was silent In death I sweetly sing

Offline smarty

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 10:36:02 PM »
Don't have the 15R but I have the 10. Agree with all of what royc mentioned.

In addition, you should try the 10/15R through a cab. It will sound like a completely different amp, and the boost channel actually sounds very decent when the amp is played through a cab.

Here's my solidstate Vox ministack  :-D

sir, anong speaker yung ikinabit mo para dun sa mini stack mo? thanks

Offline jdawg

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 11:15:13 PM »
Eminence GB12. Any 8 ohm speaker will do if you just want to try it out.

dantuts, just checked, mine is MIK as well.  :-D

pero I'm guessing no issues naman siguro yung MIC. I mean, these amps are already built so cheap so I can only imagine they're cutting manpower costs only by farming out the manufacturing over to China.

Offline randymarsh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 08:59:53 AM »
i used to have a vox pathfinder 15r. ayus siya, it works well with pedals. someone borrowed it from me hanggang ngayon hindi pa rin sinasauli.  :lol:
nuno : n4 2.0 n4esa, n4vintage, n4 silver sparkle, n5, n6, n7, n8esa
etc : yjm, axis, jp6, jpxi, jp12, jp13, lp 58 vos, lp 57 ri, lp standard, lp trad, am strat, am tele deluxe, jem7v, uv777, rg prestige, j custom, deluxe reverb, vai legacy, jcm900, axefx

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 10:48:35 AM »
Eminence GB12. Any 8 ohm speaker will do if you just want to try it out.

dantuts, just checked, mine is MIK as well.  :-D

pero I'm guessing no issues naman siguro yung MIC. I mean, these amps are already built so cheap so I can only imagine they're cutting manpower costs only by farming out the manufacturing over to China.

jdawg, i think your Pathfinder head was a limited edition. tama ba ? meron din mga naka tweed covers na pathfinder e..
I was alive in the forest
I was cut by the cruel axe
In life I was silent In death I sweetly sing

Offline jdawg

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 01:32:22 PM »
jdawg, i think your Pathfinder head was a limited edition. tama ba ? meron din mga naka tweed covers na pathfinder e..

Nope, mine is a production model, and can still be found in most online stores I believe. Baka nalito ka lang - the cab you see under the my PF10 is aftermarket.

The limited edition that you might be referring to are the Pathfinder 10s and 15s that were released in Japan. These came in funky tolex colors such as purple and silver/grey. Very nice units, and these came with real Celestions too!

Offline burnthyfret

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 05:36:59 PM »
nice. now i'm really craving for a vox pathfinder too. :-D more review guys. i really appreciate it.

Offline deathbystroke

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 11:45:52 AM »
yung pathfinder 15r nabili ko sa audiophile MOA... made in vietnam sya... ganda ng clean settings...

Offline burnthyfret

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 12:09:02 PM »
any negative or downside on this amp? kasi puro positive reviews naririnig ko e. maganda rin siguro kun may makapagpoint out ng mga flaws niya. :-)

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 01:50:47 PM »
any negative or downside on this amp? kasi puro positive reviews naririnig ko e. maganda rin siguro kun may makapagpoint out ng mga flaws niya. :-)

Reverb is not good. Although nung marinig ko blues jr ko di ko rin nagustuhan hehe.

Di kaya too much bass liit kasi ng speaker minsan nagrarattle yung cabinet although maganda reviews pag kinabit sa speaker cab na malaki. Mahirap timplahin sa umpisa you have to get to know the amp.

It doesn't sound good when maxed like kung jamming tapos napipilitan ka itodo to keep up. Sweet spots kasi nya is not the max setting.

Offline jdawg

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009, 05:53:21 PM »
Seriously, for the price of the Pathfinders, there's not much to nitpick. I'd say the only negative is that the tonestack is only 2 band - wala kang control over the midrange. If you have pedals that have a mid hump or strong mid emphasis, it may not sound as good on this amp compared to the more Fender-y amps with scooped mids. For instance, I had a Barber Direct Drive and an Indyguitarist Plexi Drive that I liked with other amps but were kinda "meh" on the PF.

However, this can be mitigated by using an EQ pedal. So if I'm using pedals with a mid-hump I set up my EQ to slightly reduce the mids and just a slight nudge to the high frequencies to get a more Fender-y clean base tone.

Offline in_the_tent

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 11:08:08 AM »
Di ka magsisisi pag bumili ka. :-)
Magsisisi ka pag nabenta mo na.. :-(
"The Lord is my Song.."

Offline burnthyfret

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 07:08:26 PM »
tried the amp personally,the clean is not really the best clean ever, but it's not that bad. :-) andun talaga yun characteristic ng vox.

Offline markv

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2009, 01:43:03 PM »
kakatest ko lang kahapon using Ibanez SZR... eto findings ko sa pathfinder 15w by VOX.

>>  THE best non-tube, practice amp i've heard! ;)

Highly Recommended!

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2009, 02:08:33 PM »
Ye. Like I oft say, any amp that wears a speaker smaller than 12 inches is nothing but a toy. It's great for personal practice and maybe soft almost acoustic sounds but try putting an overdrive or distortion before it and you'll hear the speaker break up and you'll hear those small "brrrr brrrr brrrr" sounds indicating that the speaker cone is stressed out.

If you're on a budget, want something that sounds good with solid bass, stands up to louder amps and is ultimately pedal friendly, nothing yet, and I mean nothing yet in my book beats a surplus Yamaha J-series (J25, J35, J50, J100). Meron ngayon sa Pier, 3 pieces get them while you can. I already own 2 . Oh...with the exception pala of the Yamaha J15. That's a toy also.

Reverb is not good. Although nung marinig ko blues jr ko di ko rin nagustuhan hehe.

Di kaya too much bass liit kasi ng speaker minsan nagrarattle yung cabinet although maganda reviews pag kinabit sa speaker cab na malaki. Mahirap timplahin sa umpisa you have to get to know the amp.

It doesn't sound good when maxed like kung jamming tapos napipilitan ka itodo to keep up. Sweet spots kasi nya is not the max setting.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline knightburn

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2009, 02:09:16 PM »
Best 15W Solid  State for the money.

Pros

1. Balanced MIDS even with only having a Treble and Bass knob.
2. Terrific cleans.
3. Super loud for a mini amp.
4. Can handle pedals very well.
5. Classic looking amp
6. ROCK

Cons

1. Boost section is almost unusable for me. sounds muffled
2. Reverb is so-so but I still use it anyway in conjunction with RV-3
3. Vibrato can be better
Psalms 33:3 - Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.

Ibanez SAS32FM, Washburn Mercury, Ibanez DE7, DOD FX17, MiAudio Crunchbox, Small Clone, Boss RV3, Digitech BadMonkey, Vox 847A, Zoom TriMetal, Fulldrive MOSFET

yona

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2009, 08:55:11 AM »
Best 15W Solid  State for the money.

Gotta agree. I think the VOX Pathfinder 15R is the absolute best solid state 15 watter on the market. I wish I had kept mine. Sounded great clean, very good bluesy overdrive, reverb was pretty good (I don't use much reverb) and it handled the pedals I had nicely. For a little 15 watt practice amp with an 8 inch speaker it was LOUD.

Paps

Offline cacophony

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2009, 04:41:37 PM »
Bought the last piece of AP at Paco. Made in Vietnam. So far so good. My Tubescreamer really screams out of this amp. Very nice clean tone too. Gain and master really complement each other, which I find cool enough for a single channel amplifier. Tremolo and reverb are good for blues. Boost switch is always on as markv suggested. :-D
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 04:45:21 PM by cacophony »

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2009, 04:57:37 PM »
Ye. Like I oft say, any amp that wears a speaker smaller than 12 inches is nothing but a toy. It's great for personal practice and maybe soft almost acoustic sounds but try putting an overdrive or distortion before it and you'll hear the speaker break up and you'll hear those small "brrrr brrrr brrrr" sounds indicating that the speaker cone is stressed out.

If you're on a budget, want something that sounds good with solid bass, stands up to louder amps and is ultimately pedal friendly, nothing yet, and I mean nothing yet in my book beats a surplus Yamaha J-series (J25, J35, J50, J100). Meron ngayon sa Pier, 3 pieces get them while you can. I already own 2 . Oh...with the exception pala of the Yamaha J15. That's a toy also.

even the peavey classic 50 410?
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2009, 05:00:00 PM »
Bought the last piece of AP at Paco. Made in Vietnam. So far so good. My Tubescreamer really screams out of this amp. Very nice clean tone too. Gain and master really complement each other, which I find cool enough for a single channel amplifier. Tremolo and reverb are good for blues. Boost switch is always on as markv suggested. :-D

congrats Caco!  :-D --->  from a fellow Pathfinder 15R owner.  :lol:
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers