hulika

Author Topic: Create a two-Stage Potentiometer  (Read 3983 times)

Offline Freak

• Philmusicus Addictus
Create a two-Stage Potentiometer
« on: July 16, 2012, 01:41:06 PM »
Hi Guys, I have read a great article at Seymour Duncan and I believe it is worth the share.  ^-^

Sometimes we find that a particular pickup (or pickups) are a little too bright for our guitars. Traditionally humbuckers are darker and manufacturers chose to use 500K potentiometers to ensure the pickup didn’t sound too dark or muddy. Single coil pickups in contrast sound quite a bit brighter, and manufacturers chose to use 250K potentiometers to tame the brightness.

These traditional potentiometer choices don’t always work with some pickups though. The Seymour Duncan JB was originally designed for use with 250K potentiometers. As a result some have found the JB to sound quite bright in many guitars that are equipped with 500K potentiometers.

Many guitars also come with a combination of single coil and humbucker pickups. Running a 500K potentiometer when using singles may make them too sharp and shrill. Sure you can have a couple of volume potentiometers, one for each sort of pickup. But what if you want to keep your control layout simple?

The solution is to make what I’m calling a two stage potentiometer. We only need a few things to make this: a 500K volume pot, a 470K or 510K resistor (you can’t get 500K ones), some wire, and a DPDT switch (double pole-double throw). To save on holes in your guitar or pickguard it’s probably best to use a push-pull or push-push volume pot. I didn’t have one handy, so to demonstrate I’m using a separate DPDT switch.

Roll your volume potentiometer completely counter-clockwise, and measure the two outer lugs with your multimeter set to read Ohms (2MOhms on my meter), and your potentiometer should be about 500K. You’ll be lucky if it’s exact, resistors and potentiometers are rarely to spec.

Do the same thing with your resistor. I used a 510K metal film resistor as they typically have far closer tolerances than carbon film ones. The combination of the potentiometer and resistor will get me close enough to a 250K reading for the second stage of my two stage potentiometer.

The two stage potentiometer wiring diagram - simple as!

Cut two appropriate lengths of wire and solder them to the two middle lugs on your DPDT switch or push-pull potentiometer. This will be the bridge to the two outer lugs of your potentiometer.

Solder the resistor to the two lugs on one end of your switch or push-pull potentiometer. The two on the opposing side will be left alone, and will give you your default 500K setting.

Take the ends of the two wires and solder them to the the two outer lugs of your 500K potentiometer. Now you have a two stage 500K/250K potentiometer!

In stock 500K mode - and 250K mode.

Test the potentiometer on your multimeter by attaching the probes to the two outer lugs of your potentiometer. One side of your switch will read around 500K, the other will be around 250K.

Wire your volume potentiometer in to your guitar as normal, and make the appropriate hole if you are using a separate DPDT switch, and you are ready to go. Overly bright pickups will no longer be an issue for you as you can quickly switch your potentiometer to suit almost anything.

Source: http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/tips-and-tricks/create-a-two-stage-potentiometer/

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Re: Create a two-Stage Potentiometer
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 02:26:59 PM »
Nice! For sure pwede rin ito sa 500k DPDT push/pull pot. Para wala nang extra mini toggle switch. Pull up for 250k, push down for 500k..  :mrgreen:

Offline Freak

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 02:43:59 PM »
Nice! For sure pwede rin ito sa 500k DPDT push/pull pot. Para wala nang extra mini toggle switch. Pull up for 250k, push down for 500k..  :mrgreen:

To save on holes in your guitar or pickguard it’s probably best to use a push-pull or push-push volume pot. I didn’t have one handy, so to demonstrate I’m using a separate DPDT switch.

yes sir, I prefer that too. Less drilling of permanent holes too  :-)

Offline nickson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 02:45:08 PM »
I have a noob question, if a humbucker is designed for a 500k pot, what would the sound be if switched to a 250k pot via this mod?  :eek:
“I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it.., seek knowledge from those wiser than me and try to teach those who wish to learn from me.”

― Duane Allman

Offline markezekiel

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 02:45:27 PM »
yun na. try ko nga to.

nice share bro

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 03:35:24 PM »
bro how's the sweep? linear kaya bro ang resistance/ratio within the pot rotation? meron pang isang pwedeng style akong naiisip, one that uses two resistors instead.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 05:03:03 PM »
yes sir, I prefer that too. Less drilling of permanent holes too  :-)

Hahaha. May nakasulat na pala regarding the push/pull..  :-P

Offline Freak

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 05:22:15 PM »
hmmm i was wondering tuloy...

How about a 1meg pot able to dial 250k-500k-750k-1000  :drool:

Offline vitek

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 06:06:08 PM »

Thanks for sharing :-D
♫ Transgression and Instrumental Virtuosity ♫                                                             

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 01:50:30 AM »
Thanks for sharing!  So how significant is the tone difference?  I've done something similar using a push/pull pot that switch from no tone to tone engage (brightens the sound a bit, but not very significant). 

* can't help but notice the brand of the potentiometer is digitech :-)

Offline xelalien

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 09:48:04 AM »
hmmm i was wondering tuloy...

How about a 1meg pot able to dial 250k-500k-750k-1000  :drool:

possible, rotary switch ang dapat gamitin though :D

Offline Freak

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 04:54:54 PM »
possible, rotary switch ang dapat gamitin though :D

Aprub!  ^-^

Offline oliverb

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 02:07:00 PM »
Masubukan nga to.  Mejo matinis masyado yung artec dual rail sa strat

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2018, 08:05:11 PM »
DAMN I HAVE TO TRY THIS. Where have you been all my life. Natabunan kasi nung mga basura thread nung petrucci fanboy
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2018, 10:48:28 AM »
ganda neto! curious to try!
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Online ryechua

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2018, 12:35:03 PM »
bro how's the sweep? linear kaya bro ang resistance/ratio within the pot rotation? meron pang isang pwedeng style akong naiisip, one that uses two resistors instead.

^^ this. the sweep will most likely be different compared to a true 500k or 250k pot
doh!!!

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2018, 01:59:41 PM »
^^ this. the sweep will most likely be different compared to a true 500k or 250k pot

Basing off my measurements when I tried it out myself (500k resistor across lugs 1 and 3 of a 500k pot), it does make the taper weird and quirky.

The more consistent way to bring down a pot's value is to wire a total of two resistors to the pot, each one roughly half the pot value (500k pot - two 240k resistors).

One resistor goes from lug 1 to wiper (lug 2), and the other from lug 3 to wiper. A DPDT toggle should allow this to be switched in and out whenever you need it.

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2018, 02:57:25 PM »
Basing off my measurements when I tried it out myself (500k resistor across lugs 1 and 3 of a 500k pot), it does make the taper weird and quirky.

The more consistent way to bring down a pot's value is to wire a total of two resistors to the pot, each one roughly half the pot value (500k pot - two 240k resistors).

One resistor goes from lug 1 to wiper (lug 2), and the other from lug 3 to wiper. A DPDT toggle should allow this to be switched in and out whenever you need it.

gawin mo naman to sa gitara ko :( huhuhu
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2018, 09:25:05 AM »
gawin mo naman to sa gitara ko :( huhuhu

pagsama-samahin na natin paps pati series humbucking at phase mode?  :-D

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 09:36:06 AM »
pagsama-samahin na natin paps pati series humbucking at phase mode?  :-D

oo HAHAHAHAHA