hulika

Author Topic: LOTS OF MIDI QUESTIONS  (Read 2689 times)

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
LOTS OF MIDI QUESTIONS
« on: February 03, 2006, 10:57:15 AM »
Hi! I'm a complete newbie to the world of MIDI. I know it's been around for a while but I just want to ask a few questions regarding MIDI. I know that it can help me write because I think there are some programs out there that notate whatever I play on the MIDI keyboard and save it as a printable file that shows standard notation. (There is one, isn't there?)

Here are my questions:

1. I want a VERY basic MIDI setup. By basic, I mean I want to be able to control software synths such as Minimoog V, etc. What do I need, hardware and software wise?

2. Do I need a special soundcard? I read some where that I just need a sondcard with a game port and that's all. Is this true?

3. Do I still need to buy a MIDI interface aside from the soundcard?

4. What's a good MIDI controller keyboard for a beginner? I really am shooting for those Moog simulators so I want a controller that has those knobs that will allow me to modify stuff.

Thanks. I hope I didn't offend anyone by being so stupid.
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: LOTS OF MIDI QUESTIONS
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 01:05:39 PM »
Quote from: titser_marco
Hi! I'm a complete newbie to the world of MIDI. I know it's been around for a while but I just want to ask a few questions regarding MIDI. I know that it can help me write because I think there are some programs out there that notate whatever I play on the MIDI keyboard and save it as a printable file that shows standard notation. (There is one, isn't there?)

Here are my questions:

I've found Sibelius to be very good for notating real time but it can be difficult to edit. I find it easier to record and edit midi into a standard sequencer like Sonar, then import the midi file into Sibelius and then concentrate on editing only the score itself, not the midi performance, although it can be done within Sibelius.

1. I want a VERY basic MIDI setup. By basic, I mean I want to be able to control software synths such as Minimoog V, etc. What do I need, hardware and software wise?

Definitely a keyboard with midi I/O. Your definition of basic seems to conflict with your requirement in question 4 since the addition of realtime controllers add to the cost of the controller.

2. Do I need a special soundcard? I read some where that I just need a sondcard with a game port and that's all. Is this true?

You actually need a good soundcard to hear the nuances of most software synths. The gameport midi is already a bygone technology and the cables for it are very hard to find locally. Most Audigy soundcards have a midi port on midi-din but I think only the mid to high end cards supply the mini-din midi cable/s. The M-Audio 2496 has a midi breakout cable, the TASCAM US-122 (and similar) usb interfaces already have midi ports included so the only thing you need are midi cables. I'm not a fan of usb audio, though.

3. Do I still need to buy a MIDI interface aside from the soundcard?

See above.

4. What's a good MIDI controller keyboard for a beginner? I really am shooting for those Moog simulators so I want a controller that has those knobs that will allow me to modify stuff.

Thanks. I hope I didn't offend anyone by being so stupid.

Most controllers are from 25 to 49 keys so if you're coming from a piano background, go easy on those octave jumps. Be prepared also to spend extra for those knobs and additional controllers. Seriously, for a beginner, you have to know about various midi cc# controllers and how to set the hardware controller to transmit certain cc commands. FYI, there are no locally available midi controllers other than the usual keyboards with midi ports. I don't don't recommend those cheap chinese keyboards you see in mall lobbies. The short key travel will give you carpal tunnel syndrome in no time. Ideally, you would want something like the M-Audio Oxygen/Ozone, Korg MicroKontrol, Alesis PhotonX25, or even the Emu Xboard 25 - I saw someone selling an Ozone a while back here. FYI, I use my Korg Prophecy for knob duties.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
LOTS OF MIDI QUESTIONS
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 02:06:19 PM »
Thanks! By the way, the reason I want control knobs on my keyboard is that I want to be able to use that with MiniMoog V, which has  a lot of paramaters that can be changed in real time.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
LOTS OF MIDI QUESTIONS
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 03:03:38 PM »
You might want to get in touch with this guy if he still hasn't sold the Ozone. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting though, that post was last Nov.

You can always try to get in touch with Perry of Crystal Audio (8738746) to see if they have any Oxygen/Ozone controllers.

Yes, I am quite familiar with softsynths like Arturia's or Timewarp's MiniMoog. Been using softsynths for several years now.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
LOTS OF MIDI QUESTIONS
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 04:04:37 PM »
Yikes 15k! I dont think I'm ready to spend that much since I'm still learning.

Anyway, you mentioned that any keyboard with a midi in/out would do? Can you recommend some old keyboards that I can use? What would be the limitations of those?

I saw one DX27 for sale, is that a goo place to start with? Thanks.

Quote from: KitC
You might want to get in touch with this guy if he still hasn't sold the Ozone. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting though, that post was last Nov.

You can always try to get in touch with Perry of Crystal Audio (8738746) to see if they have any Oxygen/Ozone controllers.

Yes, I am quite familiar with softsynths like Arturia's or Timewarp's MiniMoog. Been using softsynths for several years now.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
LOTS OF MIDI QUESTIONS
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 05:10:49 PM »

Anyway, you mentioned that any keyboard with a midi in/out would do? Can you recommend some old keyboards that I can use? What would be the limitations of those?

You might want to look for another keyboard. Although I like the feel of the DX-7 (and I'd like to have one myself, esp the DX-7 II) it's midi implementation leaves much to be desired since it was created at about the same time as midi! You don't want a DX-7 as a controller but for it's fantastic sound!

Practically any keyboard with a midi output can be used. Try to consider the pc, though. If you're using the joystick mid cable, one of those costs something like 1.5k - I think this guy has some of those around. You can even use a PSR so long as it has midi outs (but no knobs, sorry!).

You will still need a midi interface, though. If your pc has usb (what doesn't?) try to inquire from Perry about the midisport uno or whatever usb midi interfaces they got. If you prefer to go the Audigy route, be prepared to spend for the more expensive models because the value models don't come with the mini-din cables. If you can afford the 2496, that would be the best solution for you, audio and midi wise. Word of caution about M-Audio drivers, though; they don't seem to go well with computers that use SATA drives.

EDIT: The joystick midi cable ties you to old motherboards/soundcards. Most modern mobos and soundcards do not support the joystick port anymore while midi interfaces/soundcards seem to be going in the direction of usb and firewire. Soundcards will also most likely come in pcie models as well. My advise would be to get a usb midi interface if all you require is midi input. You can easily port over the midi interface to a new system since usb isn't going away soon. PCI is already on the way out; IMO, you can always get a better soundcard in the future since most pc's have onboard audio.

EDIT: Updated link.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
LOTS OF MIDI QUESTIONS
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 02:53:48 AM »
Thanks Kit! Will take all of your suggestions to mind when I set the thing up :)

Quote from: KitC

You might want to look for another keyboard. Although I like the feel of the DX-7 (and I'd like to have one myself, esp the DX-7 II) it's midi implementation leaves much to be desired since it was created at about the same time as midi! You don't want a DX-7 as a controller but for it's fantastic sound!

Practically any keyboard with a midi output can be used. Try to consider the pc, though. If you're using the joystick mid cable, one of those costs something like 1.5k - I think this guy has some of those around. You can even use a PSR so long as it has midi outs (but no knobs, sorry!).

You will still need a midi interface, though. If your pc has usb (what doesn't?) try to inquire from Perry about the midisport uno or whatever usb midi interfaces they got. If you prefer to go the Audigy route, be prepared to spend for the more expensive models because the value models don't come with the mini-din cables. If you can afford the 2496, that would be the best solution for you, audio and midi wise. Word of caution about M-Audio drivers, though; they don't seem to go well with computers that use SATA drives.

EDIT: The joystick midi cable ties you to old motherboards/soundcards. Most modern mobos and soundcards do not support the joystick port anymore while midi interfaces/soundcards seem to be going in the direction of usb and firewire. Soundcards will also most likely come in pcie models as well. My advise would be to get a usb midi interface if all you require is midi input. You can easily port over the midi interface to a new system since usb isn't going away soon. PCI is already on the way out; IMO, you can always get a better soundcard in the future since most pc's have onboard audio.