hulika

Author Topic: Mix difference between reference monitor and headphones  (Read 1427 times)

Offline col_rukie

Mix difference between reference monitor and headphones
« on: November 25, 2011, 01:59:22 PM »
Hi Guys,

I think I have read this topic before but I believe the thread is lost. I did not pay attention to it then since it was not an issue to me.
I recently produced an edm song and I did it all through my monitors. I was planning to make it dry since it was only of demo purposes but I mixed it quite well. Needless to say I was satisfied with what I was hearing in the monitors. I listened to it just this morning through a pair or reference headphones and everything was different. Instruments were out of place and the levels was not what I did in the monitor.

Is this normal?
whats the reason behind
and where should I rely with my mixing?

thanks!
Lets talk music!!! www.musicandthewalk.com

Offline alien_inside

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Mix difference between reference monitor and headphones
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 06:06:32 PM »
ano yung headphones mo? Generic? Branded?
CD-R King? Sony? Beyerdynamic?

Ano naman yung Monitors mo?
ALLEN VC PASCUA, Keyboardist, Arranger, Audio Engineer0947 233 2263 (Int'l Roaming) InterContinental Hotels Group

https://www.facebook.com/allenvcpascua

Offline djspit

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 01:57:59 AM »
first of all, i would like to believe that u did not do anything wrong... yet.
mixing can be a long process especially if you are in a "home recording" environment

sa tingin ko eto mga dapat mo iconsider na mga questions din:

1. is my room well treated acoustically? wala bang umuugong na bass at iba pang umuungol na frequencies, madami bang sound reflection ang room mo?

2. what monitors are you using?

3. anong headphones ginamit mo?

same questions mentioned by alien_inside

suggestion ko din when mixing your work:

1. listen/ monitor your track in different volumes... mahina to medium to semi loud volume
2. burn you track sa cd.. at patugtugin sa cd player mo.. component or car cd player
3. use ipod eaphones as reference din. kasi halos lahat naman ng nakikinig ng music nowadays eh sa ipod =) i find it reliable too =)

Get a notebook and take down notes kung saan mahina.. manipis ba ung boses.. kulang ba sa kalansing ung ganito ganyan.. etc =)

then go back to your track and adjust =) then do d same procedure hanggang masaya ka na.. =)
http://www.facebook.com/djmyke/pages#!/pages/DJMYKE/255868169639 IMAC 24" core2duo Logic Pro 9, Ableton Live 8, Reason 6.0, Apogee Duet2, axiom49,Keystation 88es, Yamaha dx100, Rode NT1a, Yamaha HS80m,Taylor 614, Taylor GS Mini, Fender Telecaster USA. ban

Offline noobie-doobie

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 02:44:55 AM »

Is this normal?
-I dont think so

the reason behind it

-Stereo Imaging issues, it's a common problem sa mga headphones user, pero sa pagkakadescribe mo, nag mix ka muna sa monitors, marahil may mali sa placement ng monitors mo kaya nagkaganyan mix mo.

where should I rely with my mixing?
-Proper setup na monitors and room is good start, otherwise kung sa headphones sanayan talaga (I mix with headphones)

Offline col_rukie

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 08:33:39 AM »
ano yung headphones mo? Generic? Branded?
CD-R King? Sony? Beyerdynamic?

Ano naman yung Monitors mo?

monitors are KRK rp6 po

headphones are ath m50 and beats pro (pareho results)

hmmm i think it has something to do with the monitor placement i recently moved my whole desk away from the center of the room... I think this is the culprit since hindi ako nagkakaproblema ng ganito before. I thought walang effect since the monitors are still positioned the same way in my desk. Same equilateral distances, same din ang distance from the back wall, tweeter level. etc un lang iginilid ko?

would this be the culprit? sa stereo imaging maybe. but for the levels?

thanks you all for the inputs

Offline alien_inside

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 09:14:40 AM »
MIX AGAIN... and compare the difference. but prior to that, listen to your favorite song first, on your monitors, then headphones, and if possible, kung ano yung levels na naririnig mo sa headphone, dapat medyo alike sya sa levels ng monitors pag tinanggal mo yung headphones.

Parang A-B;B-A ng speakers. but instead of another speaker, it's your headphone.
ALLEN VC PASCUA, Keyboardist, Arranger, Audio Engineer0947 233 2263 (Int'l Roaming) InterContinental Hotels Group

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 02:20:09 PM »
If you are having a problem with levels, it seems to me you have multiple standing waves at your mix position, often the result of mixing in untreated rooms.

Your gear is quite good considering. If you will note most studios, the mix position somewhat follows the 'rule-of-thirds'. Monitors are rarely positioned right next to a wall and if they are, the room is heavily treated.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline col_rukie

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 11:23:44 PM »
If you are having a problem with levels, it seems to me you have multiple standing waves at your mix position, often the result of mixing in untreated rooms.

Your gear is quite good considering. If you will note most studios, the mix position somewhat follows the 'rule-of-thirds'. Monitors are rarely positioned right next to a wall and if they are, the room is heavily treated.

hi kitc, My room has no treatment whatsoever, pero before I was following the "rule of thirds" and had no issues as such I will be re-arranging tomorrow and will be redoing the mix. I think your point on multiple standing waves is the problem. I tried listening to the song a while ago and its really more of a leveling issue. This kind of problems gets me frustrated :) Im really more into making the songs hehehehe

Offline alien_inside

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 12:29:29 AM »
You really have to do a good mix if you make the songs. Arranger din ako kaya dapat SAKTO na yung music bago pumunta sa DAW ng studio.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 09:43:27 AM »
Col. It's easy to see if you have standing waves. Just move your head a few inches (or a couple of feet) front and back from the mix position. If you notice a dip in the bass, then rest assured you have standing waves.

Try to add diffusers first. That's the easiest fix. Nothing like some furniture at the back wall to break up reflections. And try some duvets and thick curtains there to kill some highs. Bass will be harder to control. Look up some DIY bass traps in the net. There's even a design I saw in EM that used foil backed fiberglass insulation for bass traps.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire