hulika

Author Topic: Setting up your PC for Recording  (Read 296775 times)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: Setting up your PC for Recording
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2007, 01:00:39 PM »
sir yung "m-audio fast track usb" sa jb music?
6.8k sya.ok po ba sound & performance nun?
or any other alternatives/suggestions?

tnx. :-)

It's ok for an interface; I haven't heard anything bad about it - it now comes with 32-bit vista drivers too. Nice price considering it costs $129 list (good show, JB!) Note that it doesn't do midi just in case you require a midi connection. As for other alternatives, not much in terms of usb audio interfaces locally, but quite a lot abroad if you intend to acquire from there.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline jose roberto

« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2007, 09:01:46 AM »
Woohooo! A thread dedicated for PC Recording!  :-)

A few questions, of course  :-D

I want to record my songs on my PC, what do I do. A blow by blow account would be wonderful.  :-)
where do I plug my guitar/amp/effects on the PC?  I have an Adobe Audtion 1.5, is it good as a basic music recording software? I want to lay down bass, drums, keyboards (or even horns!) on the guitar tracks, is it possible without having these instruments at my disposal? (the Audition has them  :-D). any reply would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

here is my current( humble) PC set up

AMD Athlon XP 2000+
Asus A7V8X-X mobo ( S/PDIF, USB inputs)
1 Gb DDR 333Mhz Ram
128mb Asus FX5200 Videocard
40Gb WD HDD 5400 rpm
NEC DVD WRITER
1394 PCI Firewire card

My music rig set up
Ibanez AR250
Crate GX-40C
KORG G1

Transactions:
RonnieA/ modmod/
alrak 1114/Zazza-/Goody-/mau_stratman-/ gunslinger13-/markv-/stinkyshaft/kenzu0911/kiiimpoiii/hanzapitan/

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2007, 09:48:36 AM »
I want to record my songs on my PC, what do I do. A blow by blow account would be wonderful.  :-)
where do I plug my guitar/amp/effects on the PC?

jose roberto,

Judging from your pc specs, you didn't mention a soundcard so I assume your pc has onboard sound. While you can record using onboard sound, remember that it is bound by the following limitations:

a. Not-so-great sound quality. Motherboards are built to a price specification and sound often takes a backseat  so don't expect high quality converters here. There will he higher noise levels and the line in usually doubles as part of the 5.1 or 7.1 output so operation of the inputs is a compromise.

b. Limited sample rate capability. It's either 44.1 or 48 kHz... 96 kHz? Forget it! Plus, if the mobo has s/pdif, it's almost always an output operating at 48 kHz ONLY.

c. Analog I/O is in 1/8" stereo jacks. Not the most robust of connections plus these are prone to component failures when repeatedly inserting and removing the plugs; this is due to the way the sockets are soldered onto the board. You can get around this by making a sort of 'breakout' extension cable that puts the strain of repeated removal and insertions (necessary when you have a lot of gear but only one pair of inputs) on the breakout. Some use a small mixer to act as a breakout.

That said, get a good soundcard if you want to sound better. Better yet, get a soundcard designed for audio recording. Soundblasters are a good place to start but are not really meant for serious recording, but will do for demos. The M-Audio brand is very good for recording and has a range to suit most budgets.

I'm not sure if you can plug your G1 direct since I can't find any reference to it on the net. I'm sure it was meant for direct connection to an amp; if it has a designated line out, you can plug that into your mixer/soundcard. If in doubt, use it's headphone connection instead, but watch out for levels!

To do a blow-by-blow here might make this post inordinately too long, but the short of it is to connect your signals to your inputs and to watch out for levels! If it's too loud, reduce volume at the source, not at the soundcard input. Another thing to consider is how you are monitoring (or listening) to what is coming into your soundcard; whats the point of recording if you can't hear it? Again, if you are still relying on onboard sound, remember the old computer axiom, G-I-G-O.

Sign up for the PC Recording workshop we have planned for the 9th. You might learn a trick or 2.

Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline stilljey

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2007, 05:22:06 PM »
mag sign-up ka na bro.  sulit ito para sa ating mga baguhan... 8-).....dalawa na lang.

Offline jose roberto

« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2007, 10:34:08 AM »
Thanks a lot, sir KitC!  :-)

I got a basic creative PCI soundcard. I am still thinking if I need to buy a M-audio soundcard ( I am just doing demos).

Checking out my specs, i got this small stereo jack already for my soundcard inputs(analog). The Crate Amp has a line out input at the back. The G1 has a line out/phone input. For the monitoring situation, do I need to buy a 5.1 speaker system (my board has 5.1 capabilities) or the basic 2.1 would do? Again, thanks for the responses  :-)

about the PC recording workshop, what are the details? salamat :-)
Transactions:
RonnieA/ modmod/
alrak 1114/Zazza-/Goody-/mau_stratman-/ gunslinger13-/markv-/stinkyshaft/kenzu0911/kiiimpoiii/hanzapitan/

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2007, 11:40:43 AM »

Checking out my specs, i got this small stereo jack already for my soundcard inputs(analog). The Crate Amp has a line out input at the back. The G1 has a line out/phone input. For the monitoring situation, do I need to buy a 5.1 speaker system (my board has 5.1 capabilities) or the basic 2.1 would do? Again, thanks for the responses  :-)

about the PC recording workshop, what are the details? salamat :-)

You might say I'm quite familiar with the Creative card's capabilities and they are quite capable of making good demos. As a matter of fact, I seem to have made more of my original music on a soundblaster than with what I have now. Go figure....   If your equipment has line level outputs, it should interface ok with the soundcard's line level inputs.

Do you need a 5.1 system? Only if the format you are going to deliver to a client is 5.1, until then, stereo is still the most common format. Get a good set of monitors. I can't stress enough how important it is to be able to hear all the nuances of a mix. Computer speakers are often hyped in the upper and lower frequencies in the familiar smiley EQ curve. This may force you to over compensate in the mid-frequencies making your final mixes honky sounding. Although you can get used to the sound of such speaker, I find that monitors with unhyped response curves often allow you to make better mixing decisions.

The workshop details is in the Audio Engineering workshop thread put up by edgeofillsion_jepoy. It will be held at BAMF's BAMFx/P.I.M.P. studios located at Sto. Domingo St. cor. Calamba on June 9.

Offline jose roberto

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2007, 07:44:59 AM »
Thanks for the inputs!  :-)
Transactions:
RonnieA/ modmod/

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2007, 03:53:29 AM »
@jose roberto

heres the link of the said thread re: workshop.

http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,48389.0.html
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline melvslowhand

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2007, 05:39:12 AM »
 hello everyone, question lang po. why can't i do internal recordings with my audiophile 192? meron na po ba nakagamit sa inyo nito, or 2496 siguro for that matter. the problem is i use gigastudio 2.54 and i don't know any other option of bouncing except to record it in real time. i only have 1 pc so i have to do it within the same pc. i remember using blaster audigy and it had a feature of recording "what you hear". help po from anyone, tahnks po.

melvin

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2007, 08:16:36 PM »
With 'what-you-hear', you will still have to record in real time. Doesn't the M-Audio come with GSIF drivers?

Unfortunately, until Gigastudio acts like a vst (which I think is the case with Gigastudio 3), you will have to render in realtime.

Offline bindoy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2007, 09:06:55 PM »
OT astig set up nung sabado...dalawang PC>...

ang lupet ng gamit...pwede sample dito sa sticky thread na to..
Mohawk! nakuhanan mo ba ung set up nung sabado?post mo naman...
ROCK WITH GOD!!!

ROMANS 1:16 DI PALALAMPASIN Mtvon Youtube: CLICK here>>> Di Palalampasin

Offline marcowpg3

« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2007, 12:36:18 PM »
mga sir/ma'am

im planning to set up a home recording studio. ano ang recommended recording materials nyo, yung medyo mura lang? im looking at musicians friend.com and maraming murang equipment dun. so far, im getting mostly M AUDIO equipment,

Monitors: Studio Pro 3 desktop audio monitors,
Soundcard: Audiophile 2496 PCI digital audio card,
Interface: FireWire 410 computer recording interface,
Software: Pro tools 7 or Sonar 6

ok na ba ito for home recording? yung PC will be dedicated to recording lang.
ano ang advice ninyo na ok na equipment? yung pwde maidagdag or palitan dito sa mga pinost ko...  TNX!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2007, 12:58:13 PM »
@marcowpg3 - lose the 2496 since you already have the Firewire 410. You might want to consider the 1814 if you want more simultaneous inputs since the 410 has a disappointing number of analog inputs. The Delta 44, 66 and 1010 offer a lot more simultaneous analog inputs if that is your preference. You might consider adding a mixer if you choose to get a 4 or 6 input interface since routing now becomes a necessity.

Offline marcowpg3

« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2007, 01:19:46 PM »
ah so kahit walang soundcard, ok na yun because of the interface? sige ill try to get the 1814, medyo mahal kasi dagdag ako ng almost 200$.. on top of that, sesetup ko palang yung PC for recording kasi...pero kung hindi na kailangan soundcard, i might get the 1814!

and for the PC processor, ok na ba ang compatibility ng AMD, or should i go for Intel core duo?

ito bang set up nato, pang demo quality lang ba ito?
psensya na sir beginner lang kasi ako pag dating sa digital recording kaya dami ko tanong hehehe!!
salamat sir Kit!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2007, 01:32:17 PM »
To clarify lang, a soundcard IS an audio interface. In essence, the 410 will become the soundcard, even if it is external. The beauty of external interfaces is their portability, meaning you can move them from one computer to another without having to open up the pc and installing a card and worrying about IRQs.

Firewire and USB2 are the emerging standards while only a pcie soundcards are coming out. Personally I prefer firewire because of the lower cpu loading. The 1814 is nice , you might want to consider Presonus' Firebox, which goes for the same price as the 410 and has more I/O; the Firepod will give you 8 analog inputs for $399. Unfortunately, the Presonus offerings are not compatible with Pro Tools, you might have to stick with M-audio products if that is a requirement.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 01:53:31 PM by KitC »

Offline marcowpg3

« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2007, 01:50:53 PM »
ah ok, tnx!! yun nga eh, medyo comfortable ako sa pro tools, kaya i might stick with M Audio muna sa ngayon..

thank u very much for the info!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2007, 02:03:35 PM »
and for the PC processor, ok na ba ang compatibility ng AMD, or should i go for Intel core duo?

As much as I like AMD, things are not going so well for them in light of Barcelona and Phenom. The undoubted kings of performance right now are Intel C2D's and quads. The problem with M-audio, however, are Vista drivers so consider that before making your mobo choice. If you want a no nonsense firewire on your mobo, consider Gigabyte which has TI firewire chipsets on their higher end mobos.

Offline marcowpg3

« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2007, 08:08:17 AM »
sir Kit, isa pang question hehehe...
About audio PC's that are dedicated solely for recording, anong maadvice nyo na specs? yung motherboard, vid card, soundcard, memory, power supply wattage etc... pero keep in mind na medyo limited budget lang ako hehehehe! and im sticking with XP sa ngayon..tnx ulit!

and ano mas preferred nyo, Sonar or Pro Tools? Im thinking of getting Pro tools 7.3, kasi yun ang madalas namin ginagamit sa studio. pero ngayon kasi im using Sonar 6 Producer Ed sa home PC ko...

Offline marcowpg3

« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2007, 05:48:27 PM »
sir kit eto yung mga specs na tinitignan ko, ok ba ito?
-Win XP
-Intel 3.0 Ghz Dual Core
- Intel D965 GCCLR motherboard (with firewire)
-1 gig memory
  tapos may on board video and audio yung motherboard (ok na ba yung audio nitong mobo?)
(compatible naman ito with Pro Tools or Sonar diba?)
Tnx!

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2007, 11:46:53 AM »
sir Kitc,

what can you say about the sb x-fi elite pro or an m-audio sound card? btw whats a good mic to record from a gutiar amp. I just want to create a decent demo. What do you suggest? Thanks

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2007, 03:02:36 AM »
sir Kitc,

what can you say about the sb x-fi elite pro or an m-audio sound card? btw whats a good mic to record from a gutiar amp. I just want to create a decent demo. What do you suggest? Thanks

e609s
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2007, 03:04:02 AM »
-Win XP
-Intel 3.0 Ghz Dual Core
-1 gig memory
  tapos may on board video and audio yung motherboard (ok na ba yung audio nitong mobo?)
Tnx!
I would go for at least 2 Gb of memory.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline hugaspaso78

• Netizen Level
« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2007, 12:26:39 AM »
Hello po Sirs,

Your impression po for the Zoom G2.1u guitar effects with USB interface as recording gear. Sa tingin nyo its decent enough for those with tight budget? I used un Cubase for recording, me latency po sya pero kung bypassed naman e pede mo marinig sya real time. Pede rin sya sa vocals using a decent mic lang.
Meron po ba kayong better setup for budget as tight as un mgagastos mo for this setup?

Thanks  :-)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2007, 01:54:15 PM »
-Win XP
-Intel 3.0 Ghz Dual Core
-1 gig memory
Tnx!

Yes. This will work.