hulika

Author Topic: SPLIT PEGHEAD  (Read 1801 times)

Offline GGBR

SPLIT PEGHEAD
« on: May 17, 2007, 11:28:40 PM »
Here's a recent project involving a vintage Yamaha (Les Paul type) which the owner fitted with a Floyd (a rather unsual fit).   From the look of the Kluson machine heads, this ax must have been circa '70s (maybe even '60s!). Was Yamaha already producing guitars then? (Maybe under the Nippon-Gakki brand yet.) Anyways, back to the story.....

The owner was rather disappointed with the restoration job of a known local guitar-manufacturer-store (w/stores in malls) - check out the (BEFORE) photo below & judge for yourself.  Musta carry a lot of sentimental value for the owner. He brought the guitar to us for a second restore job, as the neck split at exactly the same 'restored' joint. This is the usual area where necks split upon falling flat backwards. Necks which are quarter-sawn will most often endure this type of abuse. I could not verify if this neck was slab-sawn, which I suspect it was, as slab-sawn vis-a-vis quarter-sawn is much weaker in structural strength (not mentioning the tonal the difference in has on the guitar). This is a major factor why custom guitars by US luthiers will cost a lot more - choice cuts of tonewoods i.e. air-dried for many many years, quarter-sawn, tap-tone, etc, etc...... only a very small portion of a log can make it to the tables of these known luthiers (master craftsmens!).

Thankfully the split was intact and did not fracture into smaller pieces, so the two pieces were an exact tight fit. First was to lightly brush both surfaces with a high speed steel brush bit on the Dremel to remove the oxidized surface of the Mahogany. After using one of the most expensive glues (made in Denmark) clamped under 1 ton per square inch, and about seven coats of nitrocellulose with in-between scruff sanding, the peghead was polished and voila!! Check the other (AFTER) photos.

BEFORE

AFTER

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: SPLIT PEGHEAD
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 11:37:51 PM »
Nice job? Besides repair do you build or customize guitars?

Offline GGBR

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 11:43:50 PM »
Build, no because it is better for you (and bottom line, will be less costly) to scout for real good deals in JB or other shops where they sell cheap solid bodies with very (surprisingly) GOOD wood, specifically solid Alder!. Just upgrade thereafter.... This we can do for you. 

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 12:14:44 AM »
wow!! great job man!

Offline gjuanengo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 12:20:52 AM »
Nice one there, why not post some glamour shots in the Guitar Art thread here in guitar central?

(we've all been waiting for new works. My current project sure isnt going to be done anytime soon. )
Get Wylde.

Offline GGBR

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 08:23:39 AM »
wow!! great job man!

SALAMAT GUYITO!

Offline GGBR

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 08:26:08 AM »
wow!! great job man!

PLUS! TAGAL NGA LANG GAWIN BECAUSE YOU NEED TO WAIT A COUPLE OF DAYS AFTER EACH COAT OF NITROCELLULOSE LACQUER BEFORE DOING THE NEXT STEP.

Offline vaisteen2003

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 10:31:38 AM »
oh my god great job man. damn it and galing
GAS Free 2007
"As long as it matters, as long as you're here with me now"

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 10:42:45 AM »
galing! ang linis.

question, kumusta ang sustain niya?
The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 12:31:08 PM »
wow!! great job man!

SALAMAT GUYITO!

KALABAW Yun sa inquirer a! hehehe :D

Offline GGBR

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 01:28:07 PM »
galing! ang linis.

Di ko alam yung sustain nito before the repair dahil nga biyak yung neck sa peghead. But ngayon parang normal lang. Maayos yung sustain nya, matagal. Teka, bilangin ko in seconds yung decay if that can help indicate kung ok parin....teka.......

eto... apat lang yung string nakakabit sa kanya....the sustain until wala ng audible vibes ay shortest -13 seconds and longest 16-17 secs.

Offline GGBR

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 01:29:53 PM »
Nice one there, why not post some glamour shots in the Guitar Art thread here in guitar central?

(we've all been waiting for new works. My current project sure isnt going to be done anytime soon. )

Pwede po ba itong mga shots dun? Di naman ata glam shots kasi to' eh?

Offline GGBR

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 01:35:40 PM »
oh my god great job man. damn it and galing

Ang sikreto nito ay PASYENSYA! That's how, I believe, you get a good finish. By waiting for each coat to really dry till you proceed to add on and build up. And of course is is ng is is.... Salamat.

I was just floored though when the client mentioned to me what he paid for on the original repair job (see the BEFORE pix), I could not believe that the 'guitar-maker-shop' could have the conscience in allowing that kind of a job to end up in the customers hands! I don't really know if these stores-'guitar-makers' understand what it is to have a 'personal' item entrusted to them for repair?????
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 01:41:41 PM by GGBR »

Offline GGBR

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2007, 01:38:48 PM »
galing! ang linis.

Di ko alam yung sustain nito before the repair dahil nga biyak yung neck sa peghead. But ngayon parang normal lang. Maayos yung sustain nya, matagal. Teka, bilangin ko in seconds yung decay if that can help indicate kung ok parin....teka.......

eto... apat lang yung string nakakabit sa kanya....the sustain until wala ng audible vibes ay shortest -13 seconds and longest 16-17 secs.

BTW, the strings on this were old, rusty and laden with crud, maybe libag!! Do these dampen sustain??
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 01:42:25 PM by GGBR »

Offline GGBR

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2007, 08:43:06 PM »
yuuup!!