hulika

Author Topic: Do tube amps really sound better than solid state?  (Read 103772 times)

Offline fretzburner

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Do tube amps really sound better than solid state?
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 08:22:28 PM »
Comparison for clean setting only? better do it both clean and dirty channels and volume on 7 to 10
"It's not just the game of notes,it's the sound inside your soul"

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2013, 08:28:14 PM »
I would bet that none of us here can identify a good solid state amp vs a good tube amp in a blind test :)

Might be, if you're on the listener side. But if you're on the player side, you might "feel" the difference.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 08:59:45 PM by tonwins11 »
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2013, 08:32:38 PM »
Might be, if you're on the listener side. But if you're on the player side, you might "feel" the difference.

That's psychological not aural hehe
Melody over speed anytime!

Offline teleleng

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2013, 08:50:12 PM »
That's psychological not aural hehe

This might be true...A mere psychological perception cause we guitarists were pre-conditioned to believe that tube amps are supposed to sound good...What if?

Offline teleleng

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2013, 08:53:23 PM »
Solidstate ftw! Its betterer

Is your mind not conditioned yet to believe that tube amps are supposed to sound better than solid state or there is really truth to your words based on actual auditory experience?

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2013, 09:05:03 PM »
tingin ko its about the "feel" of tube amps that makes it "better". tube amps feel more responsive and dynamic...but then again depende sa gusto ng user.

for me i prefer tube. another plus for tube amps is i think mas madali sila ayusin or i-maintain
"there is a fine line between art and mukhang T-A-N-G-A"

https://soundcloud.com/jm-the-mute

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2013, 09:07:17 PM »
Ah I thought it was an honest question from the original post asking experiences with tube amps and solid-state.  I can see from the line of questioning now that the OP wants to generate a good discussion, with a slight bent on disproving that tube amps automatically sound better.

GC could use another tubes vs SS thread from time to time.  All good but excuse me if I stick to tube amps if preference is asked (I guess no one's really asking).  BTW, blind listening tests are moot in this case, and the Kia vs Mercedes analogy doesn't really hold water. In my opinion, and your mileage may vary.

Are we looking to psychologiocal tests now for more proof?
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2013, 09:15:17 PM »
The mere fact that digital amps want to emulate tube amps mean they are much preferred to solidstate amps.  Have you seen a modeller amp trying to emulate a Marshall MG10? :D

The OP knows the answer to his question.

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2013, 09:22:29 PM »
tingin ko its about the "feel" of tube amps that makes it "better". tube amps feel more responsive and dynamic...but then again depende sa gusto ng user.

for me i prefer tube. another plus for tube amps is i think mas madali sila ayusin or i-maintain

I can't comment on dynamics. I think it's more dependent on the guitar handling rather than the amp itself.

In terms of maintenance, solid state amps have nothing to maintain. Tube amps are actually one of the most problematic equipment of a gigging musician. Nobody would tour with them without a good backup because you could lose a tube at any time.

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2013, 09:23:33 PM »
The mere fact that digital amps want to emulate tube amps mean they are much preferred to solidstate amps.  Have you seen a modeller amp trying to emulate a Marshall MG10? :D

Why model when you can buy the real thing cheap?

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2013, 09:32:02 PM »
For guitar music, a definite Yes.  We can argue what ifs and all things being equal... etc. or subjective vs. objective... I have an array of guitar tube amps that NOBODY IN THIS COUNTRY can beat with their equal array of solid state guitar amps.

Even the so called paradigm that a  jazz guitar amp should be solid state is disproven by the Bruno Super 100 which has a jazz setting.

I honestly do not believe this too, because most of the best-recorded jazz guitar tones were done on tube amps. 

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2013, 09:58:30 PM »
I don't know bro cause I am a youtube freak...There was a vid comparing a solid state Tech 21 to a peavey and a fender tweed on clean setting and I thought the cheap tech 21 raped the 2 tube amps on all direction....Why is that?

Kasi sobrang bilib ka sa youtube...

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2013, 10:00:41 PM »
I can't comment on dynamics. I think it's more dependent on the guitar handling rather than the amp itself.

In terms of maintenance, solid state amps have nothing to maintain. Tube amps are actually one of the most problematic equipment of a gigging musician. Nobody would tour with them without a good backup because you could lose a tube at any time.

Generally, when a solid state amp goes; its gone forever.  Unlike tube amps, which can even run hot, actually get better with age.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2013, 10:04:37 PM »
This might be true...A mere psychological perception cause we guitarists were pre-conditioned to believe that tube amps are supposed to sound good...What if?

Thats a big joke.  I have about 15 guitar amps and more than half of them are considered boutique and NONE of them are made in Asia.  I don't just believe because I can prove it and I hear it everyday.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 08:13:18 AM by firemodel55 »

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2013, 10:09:08 PM »
Ah I thought it was an honest question from the original post asking experiences with tube amps and solid-state.  I can see from the line of questioning now that the OP wants to generate a good discussion, with a slight bent on disproving that tube amps automatically sound better.

GC could use another tubes vs SS thread from time to time.  All good but excuse me if I stick to tube amps if preference is asked (I guess no one's really asking).  BTW, blind listening tests are moot in this case, and the Kia vs Mercedes analogy doesn't really hold water. In my opinion, and your mileage may vary.

Are we looking to psychologiocal tests now for more proof?

I have been using a tube guitar amp since 1989 in fact its still with me ... a Mesa Boogie Studio 22.  In my whole life up to today, I probably used a solid state guitar amp for less than 5 total hours the past twenty five years. For me, solid state is just too stiff and harsh.  Does not sound right.  And worse it fatigues the ear in about 15 minutes something that my tube amps don't do.

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2013, 10:27:57 PM »
Generally, when a solid state amp goes; its gone forever.  Unlike tube amps, which can even run hot, actually get better with age.

eto yung ibig kong sabihin :)

"there is a fine line between art and mukhang T-A-N-G-A"

https://soundcloud.com/jm-the-mute

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2013, 10:28:18 PM »

That's a big IF especially for something with no moving parts and speced higher than what it's rated for. Tube amps break far more oftenthan solid state.

Offline teleleng

« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2013, 10:34:29 PM »
Ok not from the point of view of a listener but from actual user guitarist....Do you honestly believe 100% that during a blind test, you can determine a ss amp and a tube amp in an actual test?

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2013, 10:39:23 PM »
For me, the best combo is a cranked up tube preamp (easy and cheap using stompboxes)  going into a solid state amp. You get the tube sound even if the amp is running at low volumes.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2013, 10:44:01 PM »
For me, the best combo is a cranked up tube preamp (easy and cheap using stompboxes)  going into a solid state amp. You get the tube sound even if the amp is running at low volumes.

:-o

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2013, 10:55:15 PM »
It's cheap and light and essentially the same sound. The only advantage a tube amp has is when it's cranked up to 11 and "breaks" warmly. At low volumes solid state and tube are neck to neck. At low volumes preamp gain will matter most.

Offline mawts_gwaps

"OUIDO", hindi "WIDOW"

Offline fizz450_03

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2013, 12:13:47 AM »
from my experience, tube amps sound better than solid states.

solid states do not seem to have that "warmth" that tubes do, and tubes do sound better as they heat up.

comparing a same spec and bracket tube amp with a solid state, the only time the tube will sound bad is when it hadn't heated up yet.

just me and my experience only.
Bedroom Rock Guitar

check out my blog @ http://lifeinadreamlessworld.wordpress.com

Offline dudeofdude

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2013, 12:29:26 AM »
yes.
hanggang ngayon hindi ko parin alam ang tunog ng ipis

Offline skrumian

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2013, 12:42:16 AM »
Generally speaking, tube amps is still way better than solid state amps. Tube amps just shine and can easily cut to the band's mix.

From the audiences' point of view, well most won't care what amps nor effects you are using as long as you sound good (i.e. balanced mix between band members) and play right. A good PA system can do magic.

That is my opinion based on my limited experience.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 12:46:09 AM by skrumian »
Looking for second hand but still in good condition books:
1) The Complete MBA for Dummies; and 2) The Ten Day MBA
PM me!