hulika

Author Topic: Guitar SYNTH/MODELER Users Thread  (Read 15125 times)

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
Guitar SYNTH/MODELER Users Thread
« on: March 22, 2012, 08:25:52 PM »
Anyone use guitar modelers like Variax or guitar synth like Roland GR and VG series?  Share your gear, and tips in this thread!  Let's learn from each other.

To start off, here's my Synth/Modeler Gear - A Roland GR-55, and an internal GK kit that I installed in my Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top PRO/FX (bought from Rmansh :)), and an Ibanez RG with external GK-3 pickup.  I found it really useful and have used it in several gigs, and at church as well.  The functions that I have maximized so far: Acoustic/Electric Modeler with alternate tuning, synth, and the USB for backing track.

The GR-55 is amazing as it now offers guitar modeling like variax.  The sound is not as good as the real thing but useful enough for live, and very convenient too - especially for alternate tunings (used in songs like Iris, Everlong, and some praise drop D songs), as well as 12-string (Dead or Alive with sitar :razz: ), and Michael Bolton's "To Love Somebody" (strat and keyboards).

The GR-55 also has amp and cab modelling, most of the effects that GT-10 has, though not as good and dynamic, but again for live use is great.  If I only had one complain with this is that they should have put an expansion for additional CTL controls using Boss FS-6.

A couple of tips for GK users:
- You can use the GK-Guitar switch as modeler pickup switch to switch from bridge to neck pickup.  I don't know if it is a bug but it just work that way.
- You can use the GK-volume to toggle strat 5-way or tele/les paul 3-way
- CTL can be used either to turn on distortion, chorus, or volume boost (or any parameter can be assigned like the GT-10).  Then if one CTL is not enough, you can also assign an action to the EXPSW (depressing the foot controller like turning on a wah).

Here's the gear:

Here's my conversion of my floyd LP to a GK-guitar:
I converted one of the LPs to one volume and one tone, and I installed the GK volume and GK-guitar selector switch to the other holes.

GK pickup installed in reverse

Installed the S1/S2 switch near the pickup selector (para may butas na).  I got this design from the vguitar forums.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 01:22:09 AM by markcasq »

Offline marcus_gloom

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Guitar SYNTH/MODELER Users Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 10:05:06 PM »
Nifty set-up! With that you can play anything.

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 10:00:31 PM »
Nifty set-up! With that you can play anything.

yup indeed! I even use this to learn 7-string songs like Korn, sobrang versatile talaga.  Sa church, I played a couple of times with acoustic guitar, strings, and bass all at the same time  :).  Pero I switched back to playing guitar, natatabunan na kasi yung iba, hehe.

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 02:48:21 AM »
Anyone else use synth or modeler?  Looks like it's not something popular.  GR-55, Roland GC-1 or Variax James Tyler is not even available here.

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 01:46:41 PM »
Looks like this post is becoming a blog, hehe  :-D  Anyway, I still think someone out there is into synths and modellers so I'll continue to fire away, as this could be helpful to someone.

Something I learned yesterday about GK pickups:  Midi tracking will better when the GK pickup is closer to the bridge.  I transferred my external GK-3 pickup from my Ibanez RG to my Epi Les Paul.  I was able to set it up such that the GK pickup is around 10mm - 15mm from the saddles (unike in my Ibanez and my other floyd LP where it ranges from 16mm - 24mm).  I got better tracking and less "ghost notes" and "accidental harmonics".

The other thing I also learned is that the guitar modelling tone is better when the GK pickup is farther from the bridge.  That's because the tone of the raw sound coming from the GK pickup contributes to the tone of the modelled guitar.  I get better acoustic guitar and Les Paul sounds from my floyded Epi LP because the GK pickup ranges from 18-24mm.  But the trade off is that I get not-so-good tracking for synth (so I have to be more careful when playing).

Ah, and the other thing is that the tracking improved when I increased string gauge from .009 to 0.010.

I'll post some demo soon.

Offline mustangtony

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 03:43:18 PM »
Hi TS. How much is a Roland GR -55? I have a guitar that is a midi compatible. What I did was to plug it into a Korg X5-D key board which has its own amp. Umandar naman, kaya lang grabe ang dami ng equipment and wires. With this setup, the guitar is able to sound like the Korg keyborg and all the possible sounds the keyboard has. Can that be done by the  the GR55?

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 11:45:40 PM »
I think a midi-compatible guitar is different than a GK-ready.  So does your guitar have a MIDI out?  What is the model?  I'm curious.  If your guitar indeed has a MIDI out, it cannot be used with GR-55.  GR-55 accepts only GK input (13 pin).  Also, you cannot drive the GR-55 sound library with external MIDI input, like a keyboard or MIDI guitar like what you have.

The GR-55 has its own synth library, so it is like a keyboard module, only it is driven by the guitar.  So it can also sound like an X5D.  Pero what I have not tried is to connect the MIDI out of the GR-55 to a keyboard and use the keyboard's sounds.  Pero what's good about the GR-55 is not only can you do synth sounds, you can also do guitar modelling like Line6 Variax, and you can do both synth (two sounds at the same time) + guitar modelling + your guitar tone.

GR-55 is $799 with the GK-3 pickup (I think $699 without).  Wala pa ako nakita sa Yupangco na GR-55, so I had to buy it in the states and ship it here.

Let me know about your guitar, I think it is interesting.

Offline mustangtony

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 12:14:19 AM »
The guitar I have is a Parker Nitefly midi. It has 2 outputs and can run 3 amps all simul...i.e.  a Fender Amp, an acoustic amp (using a stereo cable to the 2 amps) and a Korg  keyboard amp. kaya lang matagal ayusin because you have to setup the keyboard to the amp, then the guitar to the keyboard, and so forth. I'd like to use the midi but without bringing the korg keyboard (another hassle).

Thanks for the GR55 info, but do you know what equipment can I buy that can optimize the use of the Parker's midi line out without using the keyboard. I have to admit that I am not into  hi-tech electronics.

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 12:31:41 AM »
Is this your guitar below?  Wow, it's amazing to know they make guitars like this.  How was the tracking when you connected it to the keyboard?  "tracking" means how accurately does the keyboard pickup the midi notes coming from the guitar?

As to what you can use with your guitar, you can just buy a sound module like this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/roland-bk-7m-backing-module.  Or you can buy a GR-55 and connect an external GK-3 kit to your nitefly.
you may also opt to get "legacy" sound modules, Yupangco is selling them.  Check this Roland JV-1080 for example: http://www.yupangco.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_nocart.tpl&product_id=2264&category_id=63&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53, pero medyo vintage na to  :-D  Here's a demo of the module http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/jv1080.php

Offline mustangtony

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 01:12:49 AM »
Thanks Markcasq. Except for the color (mine is red and white), its exactly the same guitar. Tracking is perfect....I played , for example, an instrumental version of "Till there was You" by the beatles and I had a full orchestra backing my lead notes. The guitar is better than the player!!!

So I need a sound module..... thanks for the info. Kaya lang, ang mahal naman. Dumugo na ako sa gitara...dudugo pa pala ako sa sound module.  Thanks again Markcasq!

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 01:56:05 AM »
My pleasure mustangtony.  Very nice guitar you have there!  Parkers are great guitars, I wish I can have one someday, especially those with GK or midi like yours.

Offline MYN11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 08:58:42 PM »
I've been using the Line6 Variax 700 since it came out 8/9 years ago. I don't see any big difference with the new James Tyler Variax.

Regarding Guitar Synth, I stopped using it 5 years ago due to latency issues. IMO, hindi pa rin maayos ang tracking ng guitar synths. Unnatural for me. With the new and current models though, medyo maganda na. Maybe soon I'll try again.

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 11:11:30 PM »
I've been using the Line6 Variax 700 since it came out 8/9 years ago. I don't see any big difference with the new James Tyler Variax.

Regarding Guitar Synth, I stopped using it 5 years ago due to latency issues. IMO, hindi pa rin maayos ang tracking ng guitar synths. Unnatural for me. With the new and current models though, medyo maganda na. Maybe soon I'll try again.

Yes, that's true.  You also need a lot of tweaking to get the tracking right.  It has it's place in some situations, but definitely you will not be able to fully replace the keyboardist.  It's also hard to do fast runs without being a guitar god :-)  But with the GR-55 guitar modelling though, guitar synth goes to a new usable level.  I guess that's why Roland included guitar modelling:  synth access is not that perfect.

Offline Schimitar

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 06:35:54 AM »
GR-30 user here. ung pickup ko GK-2.
Medyo sensitive ung cable ng guitar synth.
Kya pag ginagamit ko maingat akong kumilos or else may unwanted sound na lumalabas. Madalas kong gamitin ung violin, piano and sax.
Since i took up classical guitar lessons, marami akong natutugtog na piano pieces kahit di ako marunong magpiano.
Time is short, let's play music as long as possible.

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 03:38:11 PM »
New product coming from Fishman called triple play, looks like tracking is better, and it's wireless!  But it might not work with the GK system.

Nice demo here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nKhlmJ4EeI

Offline MYN11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 10:16:31 PM »
New product coming from Fishman called triple play, looks like tracking is better, and it's wireless!  But it might not work with the GK system.

Nice demo here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nKhlmJ4EeI

Mas gusto ko ito over the GK system. Tracking is definitely better.

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 10:37:11 PM »
Mas gusto ko ito over the GK system. Tracking is definitely better.
Yeah, from the video it seems effortless yung nagde demo, walang sabit yung organ or piano.  Although, what I noticed is that the fishman is connected to a Gibson.  If you are using a gibson bridge, you can really put the pickup very close to the saddles - which contributes to tracking accuracy vs. a tremolo system.  What I found is that my LP fixed bridge tracks a lot better than my LP floyd.  I can almost do careless stuff in my LP fixed bridge. 

Pero yeah, the fishman seems to track a lot better, and it looks like walang latency and very accurate yung pickup ng fishman.  Pero ang wala sya is guitar modelling, and no dedicated synth system right now from the demo.  Direct lang sa PC.

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 02:06:16 AM »
New - black GR-55.  This looks a lot better than the blue one.. looks like the finish is the same as ME-70.  I guess Roland realized that many people might prefer black vs. blue.

Offline j3yps

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2012, 02:58:15 AM »
Pasingit lang sir
...selling a practically bnew GR20 w/ GK3 pickups! PM me for details!

Offline brandey

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2012, 03:34:38 PM »
New - black GR-55.  This looks a lot better than the blue one.. looks like the finish is the same as ME-70.  I guess Roland realized that many people might prefer black vs. blue.

GAS!!!!!

Offline brandey

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2012, 03:39:07 PM »
Thanks markcasq for leading me to this thread.

This is what ive been using for my synth needs. :)

Fender American Standard with GK-3

SYNTH/GUITAR HYBRID BOARD. Roland GR-20 and Line 6 M9. This is my simplified board for easy setups. Pero madalas dala ko yung full pedalboard sa sahig lang yung synth  :razz:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 03:52:27 PM by brandey »

Offline kernelsalonpas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2012, 04:13:24 PM »
yup indeed! I even use this to learn 7-string songs like Korn, sobrang versatile talaga.  Sa church, I played a couple of times with acoustic guitar, strings, and bass all at the same time  :).  Pero I switched back to playing guitar, natatabunan na kasi yung iba, hehe.
first time I've read Korn and church in one post.

so pag may gusto bumili ng high gain pedals tapos for church daw, si mark na un  :-D :-D :-D
no pic, no advise...

Offline reji05ramos

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »
Hi, I'm planning on buying a line6 fm4 tanong ko lang kung ano pang similar pedals sa kanya that offer the same same effects but on a smaller chassis.

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »
GAS!! :drool:

Offline overdrive/distortion

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2012, 10:17:33 PM »
Para saan ba guitar out ng roland gr55? nasa gr55 rin ba ang features sa GR33?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 10:25:10 PM by overdrive/distortion »