hulika

Author Topic: The First Reggae Band in the Philippines?  (Read 32040 times)

Offline raggadubbin

• Philmusicus Noobitus
The First Reggae Band in the Philippines?
« on: July 23, 2008, 12:44:34 AM »
I am curious about it. I heard before that Sammy Asuncion was part of it. I'm not sure about the name of this band which is Spy. In the course of my research, I found out that Popong Landero was also a member in this band. I am not sure if Chong of Reggae Mistress also a member of this band.

Or, is it Sulabama (Lolita Carbon, Popong Landero and Sammy Asuncion)?

Please enlighten me[us].

Some of you may call this as leeching because of the way on how I gather information from other people but I'm really interested about this. I want to trace the roots of the reggae music in our country. I also think that this would help other people in tracing the roots of reggae in our country.

Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 12:50:24 AM by raggadubbin »

Offline nichteque

Re: The First Reggae Band in the Philippines?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 10:06:08 AM »
i think it's eurasia. though i am not really sure; there could have been other lesser known groups na hindi tumuloy or hindi nakilala. di parin kasi ako sinisilang nung mga panahon na yun so i can't be really sure. and there aren't a lot of resources on the internet about how it all started here so i don't think you'll be able to find much here.

kung seryoso ka talaga sa information gathering brad, the best way siguro is to go and talk to some of the people, specifically reggae artists, who are part of that generation. they were there when reggae first hit our islands, so they could more or less answer most, if not all of your queries. nood ka ng mga gigs ng mga taong yun and ask them. you've already named some. hope this helps. :D
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 10:07:49 AM by nichteque »

Offline seven_segment

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 01:03:06 PM »

not sure kung spy band talaga...

i remember, when we were livin in Pasay...

madalas sila sa compound ng Boss ng mama ko...

bata pako nun (mga 6 or 7 atah)...kakaiba ang amoy ng rooms/tambayan nila...

i realzed when i was able to smell it, when i reached 15 yrs old...

marijuana pala yun...hehehe

and yeah they play raggae...not so really roots...yung tipong jumpy ang dating...and pop...

hehehe...
http://www.facebook.com/OLBOmusic

thanks to ---> bumbum, balakubak33, vp-rakista, incubus32, mondemonle, tackielarla, sbalbaguio2006, the_Nong, obetski...waaa nakalimutan ko yung iba..but anyway, thanks for the good transaction

Offline raggadubbin

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 12:33:04 PM »
kung seryoso ka talaga sa information gathering brad, the best way siguro is to go and talk to some of the people, specifically reggae artists, who are part of that generation. they were there when reggae first hit our islands, so they could more or less answer most, if not all of your queries. nood ka ng mga gigs ng mga taong yun and ask them. you've already named some. hope this helps. :D

Naalala ko tuloy yung sinabi ni Papa Doms noon sa Radio program niya sa NU. haha. Anyway, thank you. Kahit rin naman kasi ako eh di pa isinisilang noong era na yan. 1989 kasi ako pumutok sa mundong ito eh.

Offline ai..

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 09:51:28 PM »
SPY po.. Tinawag ding United nations..Tatlo lang sila eh.. Na iba't ibang nationality.. Si sammy nga yung isa sa kanila.. Yung drummer ata.. yon yung asa pinikpikan ngayon..  :-)

Offline princess_irie

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 11:38:40 PM »
possible SPY... a friend told me Herbs daw from Cebu ang first reggae band dito sa Pinas... still checking for some proofs

Offline mike santos

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 02:17:07 PM »
madugo yung tanung,,, wala kasing aako sa tittle na yun,,, ang mangyayari kasi nun kung sino yung sumikat o nagkaroon ng pagkakataon na magperform nuon, eh panu yung di sumikat nuon pero doing reggae stuff,,,

let's ask sammy,,,
//sining para sa panlipunang pagbabago//
SIR MIKE

Offline BIGmarvin

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 08:28:21 AM »
possible SPY... a friend told me Herbs daw from Cebu ang first reggae band dito sa Pinas... still checking for some proofs

imposible po na herbs ang una..

kasi 90's na sila nabuo..

ang alam ko talaga ay eurasia..

pero di rin ako sure..hehehe..

Offline loudchild

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 12:13:47 PM »
ang alam ko din Spy e. may nabasa kasi ko dati na article sa rock and rhythym e.Gustong gusto ko yung "let's get high and be peaceful" hehehehe

Offline mikomiko

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 03:24:16 AM »
Calling papa dom to enlighten us more :-D
SKA UP YER LIFE RUDY!!!

Offline mike santos

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 08:41:54 AM »
eurasia nga ata,,, grupo nila chong ng mistres now,,, yun ba yun,,, :-D
SIR MIKE

Offline karl666

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 01:39:38 PM »

+1 :-D :-D
references: sbalbaguio2006 , washburny , pentagram x , markv , tone thinker, r_chino18

Offline robbbot

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 02:48:43 AM »
i think it's eurasia. though i am not really sure; there could have been other lesser known groups na hindi tumuloy or hindi nakilala. di parin kasi ako sinisilang nung mga panahon na yun so i can't be really sure. and there aren't a lot of resources on the internet about how it all started here so i don't think you'll be able to find much here.

topher! ikaw ba yan? hehe parang eurasia nga ata un narinig ko.. haha pero ikaw nga ata to topher! enlighten the people here more! hehe

Offline cky

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 05:03:03 PM »

anjan lang si papadom...imeseyj mo nalang.. :lol:

Offline wisknjar

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 09:34:38 PM »
ang alam ko SPY ang una, kasi si sammy of Spy galing sa Bukidnon, barkada ko pamangkin nya na tinutogtog din ang musika nya, and i also know his son who lives in CDO. pero baka karamihan di nila alam na si Sammy ang gtarist ni KC concepcion and writer also ng mga kanta nya.

Offline roan

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2009, 05:40:47 PM »
i think spy nga

itchybrain

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 12:47:38 AM »

Do you guys know Cocojam?

I remember asking my tita way back in '88 what's reggae. She told me in two words: Bob Marley. Then I remember her talking about a band she always hanged out with at Mayric's named Cocojam.

Not long after, since I was still learning to play punk guitar and deciphering the punkness of Betrayed's music then, I chanced upon an article about Cocojam written in that legendary magazine called Jingle (lahat ng gitarista nung panahon ko dumaan dun). If my memory serves me right, the interview was about Reggae in the Philippines and how the band, and some of their colleagues, started the genre way back in the late 70s (!).

I may be wrong but then, as far as I can recall after watching Cocojam back in High School, I've always believed they started it.

Then a certain Dominic Gamboa changed the way I listen to reggae.  :wink:

Offline roan

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 07:28:07 PM »
Do you guys know Cocojam?

I remember asking my tita way back in '88 what's reggae. She told me in two words: Bob Marley. Then I remember her talking about a band she always hanged out with at Mayric's named Cocojam.

Not long after, since I was still learning to play punk guitar and deciphering the punkness of Betrayed's music then, I chanced upon an article about Cocojam written in that legendary magazine called Jingle (lahat ng gitarista nung panahon ko dumaan dun). If my memory serves me right, the interview was about Reggae in the Philippines and how the band, and some of their colleagues, started the genre way back in the late 70s (!).

I may be wrong but then, as far as I can recall after watching Cocojam back in High School, I've always believed they started it.

Then a certain Dominic Gamboa changed the way I listen to reggae.  :wink:

ikaw lang ang aking iniisip maging sa panaginip aking lakambini..

ikaw lang ang aking alaala pag sikat ng umaga aking lakambini..

Offline musician

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 10:25:02 AM »
Eurasia, Cocojam, Spy, Tropical Dep-- mga pioneers nga sila ng reggae...

Magkakakilala naman sila, palitan ng members, sessions, jammings...

Kilala ko yung bass player dati ng cocojam nung 2005, member sya ng bandang Kukays Jam

Offline skankman

• Netizen Level
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 01:08:38 PM »
sa tingin ko cocojam mga taga puerto 70's pa yata sila. im not sure. pero spy din luma na talaga. maganda ang reggae scene lagi sa mindoro

Offline r0nd0gg

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2009, 07:42:38 AM »
Blak jak yata... wakekekeke

Offline mike santos

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2009, 07:04:27 AM »
ayun blak jak,,, hihi,,,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

ayun at naalala ko nanaman ang una kong experience ng cocojam,,,
1992,,, mayric's,,, beer,,, haaaay,,,
nahiwa talaga kaluluwa ko ng gabing iyon,,,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

hirap pala hanapin yung first,,,,  :-)
pero ayus lang masya naman na ngayun kasi ang dami ng aktibong reggae band,,,  :-) :wink:
SIR MIKE

Offline dread@thecontrol

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2009, 07:16:49 AM »
the answer has already been posted here. all you have to do people is look for it instead of waiting to be spoonfed with information. with today's technology and the information highway just at our fingertips, its such a pity that most of us have been stripped of the ability to do simple analytical and critical thinking. the mind is a terrible thing to waste.  :-(
"WORD, SOUND AND POWER"

itchybrain

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2009, 02:14:24 PM »
the answer has already been posted here. all you have to do people is look for it instead of waiting to be spoonfed with information. with today's technology and the information highway just at our fingertips, its such a pity that most of us have been stripped of the ability to do simple analytical and critical thinking. the mind is a terrible thing to waste.  :-(

Listen up kids. Words of wisdom from the master.  :-)

Offline putchazta_46

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2010, 11:15:42 AM »
I remember my bandmate telling me there was an old school reggae band composed of sammy of spy and "Tsong and Tsang" of reggae mistress. He said their band is the one who started reggae music in the country. Kindly verify if someone knows if this is true and the name of the band they formed.  :-D