hulika

Author Topic: Will Calhoun of Living Colour  (Read 3220 times)

Offline black_panther

• Forum Fanatic
Will Calhoun of Living Colour
« on: October 31, 2007, 02:26:16 PM »
one of the best things that happened to me during my china trip was able to attend the shanghai drumfest..yes they have there own version too hehehe..one of the best things that happened to me there is meeting legendary drummer Will Calhoun of living colour....here are some pics of will and his performance during the shanghai fest...

Will Calhoun used a mapex saturn kit and a black panther during his performance. the cymbals he used that day was sabian... :wink:

Will's message to our local drummers is " keep druming", yeah he would love to go here in our country soon and be a Part of our mapex drumfest.. :wink:   
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 03:44:23 PM by Akira JUMBO »
SPL AUDIO MARKETING QUIAPO, MANILA
TEL#735-54-40
 HI-FI LOUNGE ALABANG FESTIVAL MALL  TEL#842-81-33  THE MUSIC SOURCE EDSA  TEL#376-4598/ 415-03-66

Offline black_panther

• Forum Fanatic
Re: will calhoun of living colour
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 02:27:45 PM »
galing sa wikipedia ito.. :wink:

Will Calhoun, originally comes from the Bronx, New York, but soon moved to Berklee where he graduated with a degree in music production and engineering. He also received the Buddy Rich Jazz Masters award for outstanding performance as a drummer whilst there. Calhoun is best known as the drummer of Living Colour. He has also played with Jungle Funk and HeadFake, recorded several jazz albums as a leader, and has appeared as a sideman with a diverse group of acclaimed artists, including Mick Jagger, Pharoah Sanders, B.B. King, Herb Alpert, and Mos Def.

Special kudos for Will's virtuosity include: "Best new drummer of 1988" by Modern Drummer Magazine's readers poll; "Number one progressive drummer" by Modern Drummer Magazine's readers poll three times (1989, 1991 & 1992); Best Drummer of 1990 by Rolling Stone Magazine's critics poll. Will has also won two Grammy awards, one in 1989 for best hard rock performance by a group and then again for best hard rock performance in 1990. Living Colour also won an international rock award in 1991 for best rock band.

Calhoun's drumming incorporates many different stylistic influences and various augmenting technologies.[citation needed] With Living Colour, he was one of the first drummers to blend advanced funk and fusion techniques with elements of hard rock and thrash metal. More recently he has integrated drum n bass grooves, ethnic percussion and sampling into his playing. He is a very physical player, with a broad vocabulary from extremely precise grooves to more free-form avant-funk and jazz approaches.[citation needed] He is also an avid user of the Korg Wavedrum, which allows him to integrate banks of effects (including guitar pedals and other effects not typically associated with percussion instruments) into a single drum. Calhoun has recently added a Mandala Drum into his setup. The Mandala is a dynamic multiple control zone electronic surface that uses sensor technology to detect where and how hard a surface strike occurs.
TEL#735-54-40
 HI-FI LOUNGE ALABANG FESTIVAL MALL  TEL#842-81-33  THE MUSIC SOURCE EDSA  TEL#376-4598/ 415-03-66

Offline wax_static

• Veteran Member
Re: Will Calhoun of Living Colour
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 09:53:55 PM »
uy.. una ko napanood si will calhoun sa VHS tape nung high school pa hehehe

di ba Sonor and Zildjian endorser siya dati?

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 12:29:51 AM »
^ Yup that's right.  He used to endorse Sonor drums and Zildjian cymbals.  Currently, he endorses Mapex drums and Sabian cymbals.  In fact he has some Signature cymbals made by Sabian.

I like Will Calhoun, and I think he's one of the better rock/fusion drummers of our generation.  I just wish that he's more exposed right now just like during the late 80's and 90's with his old band Living Colour.  I think he's another one of those underrated players.  He's a great drummer.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 12:32:00 AM by drumster »

Offline toybitz

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 05:15:53 AM »
I love his performance, big band style sa the Sabian Video ng Larry Londin Benefit Concert.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline bangbus

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 06:00:50 AM »
listen to Love Rears Its Ugly Head from their Time's Up alb, one of my all-time Living Color faves!

OT share: and buhay pa yung cassette ko na yan (yes you read it right, cassette) after all those constant rewinds just to repeat that track. i love the groove on that song so much even though i didnt know who the drummer was then. i remember asking my dad to buy that tape for me pa at a local supermarket when I was in 5th grade and I wouldnt forget that moment even more coz that has got to be the only album I bought coz of its cool album cover! pathetic i know, but i dont regret it. how do you describe their genre ba 'funk metal'? at that time i didnt understand the concept of musical genres and 'new material' but i immediately realised that it was something new and different, a break from my guns n roses, milli vanilli, vanila ice years (baduy ko talga)!

I hope one day Will will get to sign that cassette of mine.

:-)

Offline toybitz

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 03:16:24 PM »
parang hindi tumatanda si Will ah....

anu ba tunog nun alien disc niya? has he even used it for any of his studio recordings?

Offline s2ry0fdyr

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 09:24:14 AM »
just downloaded
Living Colour - Everything Is Possible - The Very Best of Living Colour (2006)

1. Living Colour - Cult Of Personality (4:54)
2. Living Colour - Open Letter (To A Landlord) (5:31)
3. Living Colour - Funny Vibe (4:21)
4. Living Colour - Glamour Boys (3:41)
5. Living Colour - Middle Man (3:48)
6. Living Colour - Memories Can't Wait (4:31)
7. Living Colour - Elvis Is Dead (3:50)
8. Living Colour - Type (6:27)
9. Living Colour - Solace Of You (3:35)
10. Living Colour - Pride (4:55)
11. Living Colour - Times Up (3:06)
12. Living Colour - Go Away (4:02)
13. Living Colour - Nothingness (3:31)
14. Living Colour - Burning Of The Midnight Lamp (5:29)
15. Living Colour - Sunshine Of Your Love (5:14)
16. Living Colour - Flying (4:24)
17. Living Colour - Love Rears Its Ugly Head (Soulpower Hip Hop Remix) (5:09)

worth listening the album..
kaya lang i find it hard to define their genre of music!!!

Offline MEGaKewl

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 10:18:53 AM »
Dating endorser ng ZILDJIAN yan eh. SABIAN na pala sha. And good na MAPEX na din sha. That means may chance na masama sha sa 3rd LEG ng mapex drum tour. wohooooooooo! Feasible sir JP?
_____________________________________________<br I am MEGATRON!

Offline black_panther

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 10:58:43 AM »
Dating endorser ng ZILDJIAN yan eh. SABIAN na pala sha. And good na MAPEX na din sha. That means may chance na masama sha sa 3rd LEG ng mapex drum tour. wohooooooooo! Feasible sir JP?

hahaha..who knows man, maybe he'll be a part of the our mapex drum fest soon..as i said life has a lot of surprises..hear the black panther roar..... :evil:
TEL#735-54-40

Offline toybitz

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 05:17:38 PM »
OT

I like the sound of mike portnoy's mapex drums for DT's Awake album.

Offline marco_katigbak

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 12:44:08 PM »
will calhoun is one of the solid drummers in this industry...my hands down to this guy!! *clap clap!*  :-)

Offline black_panther

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 09:38:15 AM »
OT

I like the sound of mike portnoy's mapex drums for DT's Awake album.

ot din, yeah i love that album too..ganda... :wink:

will calhoun is one of the solid drummers in this industry...my hands down to this guy!! *clap clap!*  :-)

yes he is man... :wink:
TEL#735-54-40

Offline ZeF

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 11:22:53 PM »
Ang cute ng thumb mo sa pics.. hehehehe   :-D
feel the burn, taste the pain, you will be rewarded in return...

Offline black_panther

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2007, 10:10:18 AM »
Ang cute ng thumb mo sa pics.. hehehehe   :-D

hehe ayus!!!..thanks man...

will calhoun rocks... :wink:
TEL#735-54-40