hulika

Author Topic: Juan Dela Cruz Band .......Live at the Cultural Center of the Philippines  (Read 6625 times)

Offline Allan Roy

Catch the Juan dela Cruz  Band Live at the CCP Main Theater May 2, 3 and 4, 2008

May 2 with Sugarfree  Up Dharma Down and Manila Philharmonic Orchestra

May 3 with the Jerks, Radio Active Sago Project Manila Philharmonic Orchestra

May 4  for further announcement

« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 04:24:54 PM by Allan Roy »

Offline rakrakan

• Forum Fanatic
Catch the Juan dela Cruz  Band Live at the CCP Main Theater May 2, 3 and 4, 2008

May 4  for further announcement

JDLC Band will also be interviewed live in RJ Underground Radio on April 23.   

Shweet!  :mrgreen:

Offline maxzboy

• Netizen Level
anakng @#$%^&!!!

no Razorback?
Thank you for calling Smint together w/ Pentel,
Why should I help you?

Offline Allan Roy

Juan dela Cruz band reunites in concert with MPO

By REYMA BUAN-DEVEZA
abs-cbnNEWS.com

The country's first Pinoy rock and roll band, Juan de la Cruz will perform in a two-night concert with the Manila Philharmonic Orchestra.

"Actually iyong mga kanta namin ay lalagyan ng areglo ng Manila Philharmonic Orchestra (MPO), maglalapat ng areglo at sila ang mag-aakampanya sa amin at si Mr. Rodel Colmenar ang bale conductor," veteran rocker Joey “Pepe” Smith told abs-cbnnews.com after their television guesting on ABS-CBN's morning show Umagang Kay Ganda.

"We will do it with MPO and just playing stuff with the local bands," Smith added.

According to Smith their concert will be for the benefit of The John Mary Vianney Galilee Development and Retreat Center for Priests in Tagaytay City and it will be held at the Cultural Center of the Philippines this coming May 2 and 3 at 7 in the evening.

They will be joined by other rock bands such as The Dawn, Sugarfree, Up Dharma Down, Radioactive Sago Project and others.

Icons

The original Juan de la Cruz band members, Pepe Smith, Wally Gonzalez, and Mike Hanopol, are considered pioneers of Pinoy rock music, and still have gigs locally and abroad.

“Nag-umpisa po ang Juan dela Cruz talagang tatlo kami iyong mga nauna doon ay hinid pa official ang Juan dela Cruz noon pero noong nagasama kaming tatlo iyon na po iyon, Wally Gonzales Mike Hanopol at saka ako,” Smith said.

The band is credited for leading the very first rock and roll revolution in the country, and ushering in Pinoy Rock's golden age (1960s-1970s).

They gave Filipino audiences timeless rock classics including "Beep, Beep, Beep"; "Kagatan"; "Balong  Malalim"; "Titser's Enemi No. 1" and "Himig Natin".

And when asked on what is the thing that keep the band together, Smith answered: “Masaya, maingay at marami pang ibang mga bagay, lahat naman  ng banda yata masaya.

"Kaya lang noong panahon namin hindi namin akalain na kami ang magkakasama at talagang ginugol namin ang oras namin sa paggawa ngmga awit kaya masasabi ko masipag.”

Still rocking

Even with the onslaught of many rock bands in succeeding generations, music enthusiasts still refer to the works of Juan de la Cruz band.

Pepe Smith or Joseph William Smith in real life, is happy that rock bands continue to flourish in the country.

"Kumbaga ako naman ay nasisiyahan at maraming bandang bago ngayon siyempre ibang iba iyong music namin sa kanila dahil bagong panahon ngayon ako naman ay parang kumbaga dumaan din ako doon.

"Kumbaga para sa akin ay okey  iyong ginagawa nila kumbaga dapat magkaroon ng bagong anyo ang musika natin hanggang sa dumating sa susunod na makabago. Hindi mo maalis iyan, iyon talaga ang gulong ng pagpapaunlad at pagbabago talagang gumugulong lahat iyan hindi lang natin masabi na baka sa ilang taon na darating ay hindi na mauso ang banda ay maging barangayan na."

Smith added that he can't predict what will happen in future of Pinoy rock music but he believes that after 10 to 20 years Pinoy rock music will still rule.

"Mahirap sabihin kung ano ang kararatnan natin pero ako ay nananlig na siguro sa darating na 10 hanggang 20 taon ay malakas pa din ang Pinoy rock depende na lang kung mapapangalagaan natin iyan dahil sariling atin iyan, Salamat po. Rock and roll!," Smith ended.

Definitely the band remains a benchmark and inspiration for rock bands across the country.

Offline Allan Roy

up

Offline mikerock

• Forum Fanatic
ayuz!  :-D
<

Offline zol

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Wow. di pwedeng palagpasin to ah!

Offline reyban

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Yes, this is a "can't miss" gig. I've been told they'll perform with Lucia Micarelli - if that's true, then WOW!

Lucia Micarelli with Jethro Tull performing Kashmir:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHsxmjpkeFI

Offline japo32

• Philmusicus Noobitus
me ticketing price na ba to? may program n b 4 the night?
Create Abundance Business Community. Workshops and Seminars.
please visit http://ca2020.net
indicate that you are a guest of  "Japo Domingo" to be approved. It's an anti-spam policy.

Offline Allan Roy

Ticket Prices:
P1545.00
P1030.00
P824.00
P515.00

Available at Ticket world outlets at  National Book Store
 Robinsons Department Store
 Ayala Malls
 CCP Box Office
 Music Museum
 Teatrino Promenade

Offline Allan Roy

up

Offline japo32

• Philmusicus Noobitus
me lineup na for the 4th?
Create Abundance Business Community. Workshops and Seminars.
please visit http://ca2020.net
indicate that you are a guest of  "Japo Domingo" to be approved. It's an anti-spam policy.

Offline Allan Roy

Yes, this is a "can't miss" gig. I've been told they'll perform with Lucia Micarelli - if that's true, then WOW!

Yes that's true...they will perform with Lucia Micarelli

Offline Allan Roy

me lineup na for the 4th?

For the May 4th show.... the Dawn and Sino SIkat are playing with the JDLC Band....However  Lucia Micarelli will not be there. Instead... W. Gonzalez and Friends will perform ( I understand from Wally that kevin Roy will do the vocals for the Band).

« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 08:38:49 AM by Allan Roy »

Offline buliwyf

Kevin Roy and Marc Abaya will sing yata with Wally Gonzalez and Friends on the 4th  :-) Still with Manila Philharmonic I believe.

Offline Allan Roy

Kevin Roy and Marc Abaya will sing yata with Wally Gonzalez and Friends on the 4th  :-) Still with Manila Philharmonic I believe.

yes  you are correct Thanks

Offline Allan Roy

This guitar’s on fire
AUDIOSYNCRASY By Igan D’bayan
Friday, April 25, 2008

‘Fiesta ng Musikang Filipino’ at the CCP

“Fiesta ng Musikang Filipino” will feature Sugarfree and Up Dharma Down on May 2, Radioactive Sago Project and The Jerks on May 3, Sinosikat and The Dawn on May 4 at the CCP Main Theater. Each band’s set culminates with an OPM song musically arranged with the Manila Philharmonic Orchestra and performances by violinist Lucia Micarelli and the Juan dela Cruz Band. The shows start at 7 p.m

x------------------------------------------x
We are somewhere in the middle of a Wally Gonzalez solo — well, if we’re talking ear- space — and out flows those liquid pentatonic lines from his trusty Strat.

Every time I get an SMS from My Bro’s Mustache owner Boy Vinzon that Wally and his band of gypsies are playing at this Quezon City dive, I most often go. Yes, yes. I’ve seen Wally play dozens of times already. The first one was at the first Juan dela Cruz Band reunion at the World Trade Center, “Ang Pagbabalik” in 1998. Radioactive Sago Project’s Lourd De Veyra and I snuck in with the help of a couple of musician IDs from Francis, Lourd’s brother and Sago bassist who was moonlighting for his uncle Mike as a roadie at the time. Lourd was “Mr. Mike Hanopol”; and I, “Mr. Dondi Ledesma.” We were let in by the bouncers without a hitch. You know how it is with these musclemen: the brawnier they are, the brainier they aren’t.

The gig was like euphoric radio to me. Joey “Pepe” Smith was his unusual self. Mike played solidly and steadily. And Wally was the epitome of cool. On drums was the late great Edmond “Bosyo” Fortuno and on bass was Dondi. That’s like having Keith Moon and Jaco Pastorius as the rhythm section. The guys even played that lost classic Langit and it was, uh, otherworldly (what with a fretless bass that was almost lyrical and lyrics that wax metaphysical). They played Beep Beep as well.

Several years later, I am here at My Bros’ listening to Beep Beep — and it feels like one long seamless trip.

With Wally are several exceptional musicians: Dondi on bass, Junee Centeno on vocals, Wendell Garcia on drums (Pupil’s current drummer who sessioned, along with Gilbert Nogales, in the second Juan dela Cruz reunion billed as “Ang Pagkalas”). Every now and then, a strikingly petite drummer-girl named Bea Lao takes up the sticks from whoever’s drumming for Wally at the moment. This girl bashes the skins really hard. And I don’t mean that in any erotic way. Readers, you should hear her play War Pigs with Wally and the rest. Lao plays drums for another band called King Antares.

The guys began their set with The Doors’ Roadhouse Blues and Stevie Ray Vaughan’s Pride and Joy. After Hoochie Coochie Man, Wally and friends play the Allman Brothers’ In Memory of Elizabeth Reed. People who grew up on blues-based rock cannot help but be impressed, even my friend Sari Ortiga. And this guy watched the Allmans at the Cow Palace in San Francisco when he was 19 years old. He saw the late great Duane Allman for crying out loud.

There is a sense of levity in this night’s gig. Wally and second guitarist Joey Rodriguez get off from their seats, as Dondi jokes around with Wendell — in mid-song and without missing a beat. Wally’s guitar-playing on Little Wing, Sweet Home Alabama and his signature piece Wally’s Blues is transcendental, his solo spinning stories with impeccable phrasing — a strange brew of bends, trills, slides and many nameless emotions.

Aside from covers (Sunshine Of Your Love, Free Bird, Fire, Smoke on the Water, some Zep and some Stones), Wally and the band do a reading of JDL classics: Project, Kagatan and Sarap ng Buhay. And I begin to wonder how come the current crop of Juan dela Cruz albums comes in [gooey brown stuff] packaging. (Pop stars such as Regine Velasquez, Jaya and Martin Nievera revive cachés of foreign pop songs that should’ve been dead a long time ago, and their CDs boast superb sound quality, lyric sheets, well-made graphics, and even bonus tracks and videos. All that for On the Wings of Love?)

I got so disappointed when I bought “Maskara” and “Himig Natin.” Poor audio quality, single-ply album sleeves, no effort whatsoever by the record label to treat “Maskara” and “Himig Natin” as the classics that they are. No CD release of “Up in Arms,” which German audiophiles love, and the live gem “Super Session,” which is a trickier kerfuffle altogether.

During the break I ask Allen Mercado, who owns around 9,000 records (and which makes my own collection seem like chicken feed), what’s the reason behind this. All he could say is something about the lapse in the period of distribution, something having to do with legal inanities I suppose. Which to me explains everything, but still doesn’t make sense of things. What’s worth hearing should be worth releasing. Simple as f*ck. 

In lieu of a box with liner notes written by, say, Eric Caruncho or Lourd, we could take comfort in hearing Juan dela Cruz’s music live in places such as My Bro’s Mustache or at the CCP Main Theater for the upcoming “Fiesta ng Musikang Pilipino,” from May 2 to 4. Pepe, Joey and Wally will reunite for this three-day gig and jam with violinist Lucia Micarelli (who has toured with acts from Jethro Tull to Josh Groban, and who Wally played Kashmir with in a Valentine show at the Embassy), and the Manila Philharmonic Orchestra. 

Hey, if I could nominate anyone to the National Artist panel, it would be Pepe Smith, Mike Hanopol and Wally Gonzalez. Seriously. National Artists are those who have made significant contributions to the development of Philippine arts blah, blah and more blah. Juan dela Cruz was the first band to make rock songs in Filipino the hippest thing in the world.

And if any group has managed to document the life of Juan dela Cruz with street-smart slang, irreverence, unforced eloquence and raunchy rock ‘n’ roll, it would be the Juan dela Cruz Band.

Offline Allan Roy

up lang.....malapit na

Offline Allan Roy

Juan de la Cruz to play with MPO

By Pocholo Concepcion
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 20:37:00 04/30/2008

MANILA, Philippines—What’s the Manila Archbishop doing in a roomful of rock musicians?

It’s quite a sight—Wally Gonzalez, Mike Hanopol, JB Leonor, Lourd de Veyra and others bowing their heads as Gaudencio Cardinal Rosales joins them at the press con for “Fiesta ng Musikang Filipino,” a series of concerts at the Cultural Center of the Philippines Main Theater from May 2 to 4.

The promoters are donating proceeds to the John Mary Vianney Galilee Development and Retreat Center for Priests in Tagaytay, which explains Rosales’ presence.

Inspirational rock

“All music is inspirational,” the Cardinal says. He probably means that even raging punk tunes or indignant protest songs actually aspire for a higher goal.

In any case, a look at the performers’ lineup for “Fiesta” should inspire cheerful thoughts: The Juan de la Cruz Band, backed by the Manila Philharmonic Orchestra, with guests Sugarfree, Up Dharma Down and violinist Lucia Micarelli (tomorrow); JDC, MPO, The Jerks, Radioactive Sago Project and Micarelli (May 3); and Wally Gonzalez and Friends, Sinosikat? and The Dawn (May 4).

The concept may look chaotic at first glance. How, for instance, would the street-noise guitar licks in JDC’s “Beep Beep” meld with the MPO’s symphonic passages? Or will the raw, bluesy sound of “Mamasyal sa Pilipinas” sound as good with violins?

“We’ve done it before,” says Gonzalez. “Twice, in fact.”

Rock operas

He’s talking about a couple of shows in 1970 that featured the original JDC (with the late Edmund Fortuno on drums, and before Hanopol and Smith joined the band) performing “Jesus Christ Superstar” and Deep Purple’s “Concerto” album with Oscar Yatco and Redentor Romero conducting their respective orchestras, also at the CCP.

However, those are rock operas, whose composers (Andrew Lloyd Webber for “Superstar” and Deep Purple’s Jon Lord for “Concerto”) had everything down in music sheets. JDC merely interpreted from original works that they heard on records.

This time, how indeed will JDC’s own songs—apparently written with a much less formal approach (although still composed, with guitar chords)—jive with classical musicians who rely on whole, half and quarter notes, and routinely play under the guidance of a conductor?

Not to worry, assures Rodel Colmenar, MPO conductor, who says that, although it’s indeed a challenge, the orchestra’s role is to enhance the original music.

He proceeds to illustrate with an example that excites: “Himig Natin” will be augmented by Micarelli’s violin.

“That sounds like you’re in heaven,” jokes Gonzalez. (Micarelli provided dramatic flourishes as a guest performer in Josh Groban’s concert at the PICC.)

The younger musicians are simply awed by the thought of playing with Gonzalez, Hanopol and Smith—considered the granddaddies who spawned Pinoy rock.

Dream come true

“As a kid I used to hope I’d get to see the Juan de la Cruz play as a group,” says Leonor. “I never did, not even the recent reunion concerts. Now I’ll get to play with them, with my own band (The Dawn) to boot. I think it will be a very moving experience for me.”

“It’s like drawing a map to know where we came from and where we are headed” quips De Veyra, who’s a nephew of Hanopol’s. “My only regret is not getting to see Pepe (who was late for the press con) and the Cardinal sit together.”

Later, De Veyra whispers that his band, Radioactive Sago Project, is set to play Anak Bayan’s “Jeepney Rock” and a Yoyoy Villame song called “Trapik.”

Now that sounds like a truly festive blast.

E-mail pconcepcion@inquirer.com.ph

Copyright 2008 Philippine Daily Inquirer. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Offline Decay. Sustain. Release.

uy exciting to mga chong.. juan dela cruz rocks!

Offline solomon

Sold out na ba ito? I just checked the TicketWorld site and nakalagay dun sold out na, though ang nakalagay lang na date is May 4. Kasama na ba dun ang other 2 dates? Sana talaga meron pa.  :-(

Offline Allan Roy

today na ito...try to  call CCP Box office baka mayroon pang tickets

Offline rabidtongue

Was able to watch the concert last night  :wink: splendid performance from all the bands and the fabulous lucia micarelli  :roll:

medyo naantala lang nung nagkatech problem sa gitna ng first song ng juan dela cruz pero nandun naman si pepe with his antics to entertain the crowd during the said tech problem...

all in all, another concert worth watching...

saka na yung full review para di maspoil yung manunuod pa  :wink:
Don\'t make promises just guarantees.