hulika

Author Topic: USB and Firewire Mixers  (Read 24361 times)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: USB and Firewire Mixers
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2007, 01:50:25 PM »
Nice to measure the latency using third party software... any link?

Not software but a hardware approach. Here's the Sound on Sound link. It's best to differentiate between midi latency and audio latency. Midi latency is often related to softsynth playback, i.e., the time it takes between keypress and for the softsynth to respond. Audio latency, OTOH, is the time it takes to hear playback of audio that is simultaneously being recorded.

With computers, there will always be latency from the time you record something and the time it takes to playback simultaneously (simultaneously being an oxymoron in this case?). Even if electrons travel at the speed of light and billions of numbers are crunched at gigahertz speeds, it will still take a finite amount of time to hear  the same recorded sound at the outputs. With the Phonic, think that your sound will have to go to the pc firstvia firewire, then return again via firewire before you hear it. It's the processing in between that causes the latency. The process of hearing what the computer is processing can be loosely termed as software monitoring.

The workaround is hardware direct monitoring and automatic delay compensation. With hardware monitoring, we hear what we record while bypassing the the processing that goes on in the computer. Delay compensation naman is when your DAW accurately places the newly recorded material in time with your earlier recorded tracks. It's often recommended not to record with software monitoring engaged.

Some cheap and early soundcards don't provide hardware monitoring while some free software don't have delay compensation.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline TheHunter

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2007, 03:18:10 PM »
Thanks master Kit!

Monitoring in Audition, select "Audition Mix" when you want to hear after the audio processing whilst "External" if you want to hear what you exactly recording. Since Phonic Helixboard FW is a mixer therefore "External" or direct monitoring is not a problem. You can add effects and play around with aux for sending individual gain to each track so will hear what you wanna hear. I personally prefer the latter even though I can get 3ms latency in live input monitoring.

Cheers!
Let your ears teach your fingers.  :wink:

Offline demet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2007, 08:26:51 PM »
Is Sony Vegas good for multi-track recording?  Can it handle the multi-tracking capabilites of a mixer such as the Alesis Multimix Firewire?
check out my music at:<br /><br />http://www.myspace.com/medjazzproductions

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2007, 09:30:01 PM »
Is Sony Vegas good for multi-track recording?  Can it handle the multi-tracking capabilites of a mixer such as the Alesis Multimix Firewire?

Yes and yes, however, Vegas does not do midi I think, unlike Acid. While Vegas is a capable multitrack recorder, it seems more suited to the post processing crowd because of it's video capabilities.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline demet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2007, 09:33:52 PM »

Yes and yes, however, Vegas does not do midi I think, unlike Acid. While Vegas is a capable multitrack recorder, it seems more suited to the post processing crowd because of it's video capabilities.

Thanks for the speedy reply my friend, however, I gues my question was not clear enough...is Sony Vegas capable of simultaneous recording like protools.  If sony vergas ere attached to a multimix firewire or say a Tascam 1082, could I record a band simultaneously with separate tracks?  Thanks again for your speedy reply. 

One more question, what are other programs that are available in say, Greenhills that have these capabilities?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2007, 09:57:41 PM »
I actually answered yes to both your questions so that means Vegas will do what you want. I only added that it doesn't do midi if you need it. Midi can be useful, however if you are automating external effects boxes; I believe, however, that Vegas does react to Mackie Control automation.

As for Greenhills available software, they're out there, but we don't espouse the use of pirated software in this forum.

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2007, 10:01:17 PM »

Thanks for the speedy reply my friend, however, I gues my question was not clear enough...is Sony Vegas capable of simultaneous recording like protools.  If sony vergas ere attached to a multimix firewire or say a Tascam 1082, could I record a band simultaneously with separate tracks?  Thanks again for your speedy reply. 

One more question, what are other programs that are available in say, Greenhills that have these capabilities?

1st of all Sony Vegas is not really built for Multitrack Audio Recording. Its main functionalities is for video editing. 2nd... You cannot compare Pro Tools with Vegas. Vegas is a simple program for noob video editors ... again ... its not really for Sound Engineering. 3rd I dont think these firewire mixers are compatible with Vegas.

And lastly... you dont buy Audio Engineering Software from Greenhills coz i think you're refering to bootleg applications...

NOTE: "Dont make money using cracked softwares". I Think you can buy Steinberg Products in Audiophile and Ableton with JB packaged with M-Audio Products. I got my Adobe Audition and Steinberg Cubase in the US pa.

@boss kit
ang bilis mo reply naunahan mo ako hehe
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline demet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2007, 10:04:59 PM »

1st of all Sony Vegas is not really built for Multitrack Audio Recording. Its main functionalities is for video editing. 2nd... You cannot compare Pro Tools with Vegas. Vegas is a simple program for noob video editors ... again ... its not really for Sound Engineering. 3rd I dont think these firewire mixers are compatible with Vegas.

And lastly... you dont buy Audio Engineering Software from Greenhills coz i think you're refering to bootleg applications...

NOTE: "Dont make money using cracked softwares". I Think you can buy Steinberg Products in Audiophile and Ableton with JB packaged with M-Audio Products. I got my Adobe Audition and Steinberg Cubase in the US pa.

@boss kit
ang bilis mo reply naunahan mo ako hehe

I actually answered yes to both your questions so that means Vegas will do what you want. I only added that it doesn't do midi if you need it. Midi can be useful, however if you are automating external effects boxes; I believe, however, that Vegas does react to Mackie Control automation.

As for Greenhills available software, they're out there, but we don't espouse the use of pirated software in this forum.

Thanks for the info...I clicked on post but you replied too...so patas lang...hehehehehe

I apologize for the piracy comment.  As much as I insinuated that, to be honest, I would prefer the originals because of the full features and the upgrade capabilities if they were available locally.  I'd buy the Pro Tools at JB but (1) their simply too expensive, (2), I'm not prepared for the matching hardware just yet. 

Since this has been mentioned already, where can one get good software for digital recording locally?  And this time, I mean original.  I like the idea of having the whole shabang.  \

Another question is how much damage will it set me?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2007, 10:07:53 PM »
hehe... almost back to normal na dsl...

Anyhoo, Jeps, pwede naman ang Vegas for multitracking pero it's not exactly optimized. It's functionality is similar to Acid pero Acid trumps Vegas pagdating sa midi. I do agree that the main emphasis for Vegas is video editing. Not so sure about limited functionality with firewire mixers, though... should be transparent to Vegas re: audio hardware. One thing I liked about Vegas was that you could mix different samplerate files and formats in the same project; that's how you know it's more suited to post prod.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2007, 10:23:45 PM »
I apologize for the piracy comment.  As much as I insinuated that, to be honest, I would prefer the originals because of the full features and the upgrade capabilities if they were available locally.  I'd buy the Pro Tools at JB but (1) their simply too expensive, (2), I'm not prepared for the matching hardware just yet. 

No probs on the piracy issue. It's just something that's best discussed offline because you never know if Cakewalk or Sony or whoever may be trawling the forums looking for offenders. I wouldn't want them to close down this site!  :x

Anyway, PT at JB is kinda affordable if you ask me. Better yet if you get a suitable soundcard because some of them come with Cubase LE which is quite good considering it's limitations. It also comes with an upgrade path for the full version. Going legit has it's perks. To give you an example, when I recently upgraded Sonar 4 to 5, Cakewalk came out with a deal to include Project 5V2 for $229. Because of some ordering brouhaha, my order got sufficiently delayed that they gave me the package for $150 AND because of the timing of that delay, I qualified for a FREE UPGRADE to Sonar 6... all Producer Editions!  :-o I'm now swimming in software hehe.

Also, there are free ways to get some software LEGALLY. Computer Music magazine in the UK gave out a special edition of Samplitude 8 several months ago. Luckily enough, may pinsan ako sa Ireland and I told her to  get the mag as a Xmas gift since she was coming home for the holidays to visit her family.

Finally, there's Audacity and Kristal Audio Engine in the Plugin and Soundfont sticky. Lots of ways to get software without "trying-before-buying".  :-D

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2007, 10:27:52 PM »

Thanks for the info...I clicked on post but you replied too...so patas lang...hehehehehe

Since this has been mentioned already, where can one get good software for digital recording locally?  And this time, I mean original.  I like the idea of having the whole shabang.  \

re: piracy...

ok lang bro, no harm done... i started with cracked application din pero when i started doing this thing professionally i made it a point to get myself a licensed one... para di unfair sa mga application developer.

re: where to get

i suggest you get a hardware (Audio Interface). most of these hardwares are packaged with a software that you can start with. Like for Example M-Audio Products packaged with Pro Tools, Alesis Firewire Mixers - Packaged with Steinberg Cubase LE. for M-Audio Products you can get the prices in JB

PEACE !!!

@boss kit
yung raket natin pagusapan daw natin sa friday
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:32:16 PM by edgeofillusion-jepoy »

Offline demet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2007, 10:47:23 PM »

re: piracy...

ok lang bro, no harm done... i started with cracked application din pero when i started doing this thing professionally i made it a point to get myself a licensed one... para di unfair sa mga application developer.

re: where to get

i suggest you get a hardware (Audio Interface). most of these hardwares are packaged with a software that you can start with. Like for Example M-Audio Products packaged with Pro Tools, Alesis Firewire Mixers - Packaged with Steinberg Cubase LE. for M-Audio Products you can get the prices in JB

PEACE !!!

@boss kit
yung raket natin pagusapan daw natin sa friday

currently, my home setup consists of an Alesis Multimix 8USB and an AT 2020.  I have an old Cakewalk 9.0 that was a handmedown from my cousin.  I also have Reason, pero copy rin lang from my cousin.  WIth this etup, I've been able to do some voiceovers and some songs.

I agree with you that if you go pro, you should buy the orignials.  It is unfair as you said.  I'm slowly (very slowly) starting to learn more about studio recording, and voice overs.   In addition, I'm slowly(very veyr slowly) earning some money from this hobby.  Pero still, I can't afford the expensive gear just yet.  But thanks for the tips and thanks for the info bruddahs!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:55:07 PM by demet »

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2007, 10:54:54 PM »
uy alesis multimix 8 usb! meron ako nyan dati! hehehehe.

Make use of Cubase LE that is bundled with your alesis. Once you mastered the Application mas maganda malamang ang final outputs mo. just my 2 cents.

HAPPY RECORDING!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2007, 11:02:52 PM »
Untapped gold mine yang Cubase LE. Just make sure NOT to update it. (You can update since it will allow you to track 8 inputs simultaneously, but you lose out on aux sends - the choice is yours.)

Look up the Plugins sticky and load up on vst effects that I linked to there. My present faves are Ambience, digitalfishphones, and posihfopit EQ.

Offline Agent_So

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2007, 11:04:59 PM »
nice.. meron na palang kasamang software yung alesis.. hindi ko na kelangan bumili ng separate software... though gusto ko sana pro tools, but cubase will do..

regarding limitation sa bundled software sir jepoy, anu yung sinasabi mong limitations? thanks..
Solemn Harmony Studio
Blk-1, Lot-7, Diamond St., Silverhomes Classic, Perpetual Village 7, Bacoor, Cavite. CELL: 0915-492-2800 (Premier,Peavey,Hartke,Mackie,JBL,Shure,DBX,Zoom)

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2007, 11:11:13 PM »
nice.. meron na palang kasamang software yung alesis.. hindi ko na kelangan bumili ng separate software... though gusto ko sana pro tools, but cubase will do..

regarding limitation sa bundled software sir jepoy, anu yung sinasabi mong limitations? thanks..

limitations...

theres alot comparison with cubase sx3, one example is you can only record 4 simultaneous tracks with Cubase LE. So if you're planning to record a 8 mic in and track drums its gonna be impossible. You need to Upgrade it to a higher version like SX3. and theres a lot more.

PEACE!

Offline demet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2007, 11:14:19 PM »

I was in the states when I got my mixer.  I got it when it was released.  And at that time, they didn't have the free software available...sucks to be me.  I wrote alesis about this already, but they never replied.  Probably because nasa Pinas nako nun.  SHYEEEET!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2007, 11:23:42 PM »
I was in the states when I got my mixer.  I got it when it was released.  And at that time, they didn't have the free software available...sucks to be me.  I wrote alesis about this already, but they never replied.  Probably because nasa Pinas nako nun.  SHYEEEET!

That's not right. I've dealt with several US companies via email and they've been pretty much straightforward. My guess is they have concerns about mailing outside the US. Give them a relative's address in the US so that they can mail it to them instead. Also try sweetalking with Avesco/5th Ave, the local Alesis distro; they might be able to help.

Offline demet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2007, 11:34:20 PM »
Also try sweetalking with Avesco/5th Ave, the local Alesis distro; they might be able to help.

sir, some information about this please...did you say local distributor?  and if so, what would I have to present; my multimix was bought in late 2004.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2007, 02:38:15 AM »
sir, some information about this please...did you say local distributor?  and if so, what would I have to present; my multimix was bought in late 2004.

demet,

5th Ave/Avesco picked up where RJ left off kaso their marketing strategy leaves much to be desired. I have invited them to post here several times but it seems to have fallen on deaf ears; usually the case when their sales/marketing staff isn't that hot on the internet.

Anyway, you will find some 5th Ave branches at SM North carpark and at Quad carpark, maybe Ali Mall... not sure about other areas. Like I said, you might have to sweet talk them into obtaining a copy of Cubase LE for you.

As for emailing Alesis, try their parent company Numark. I once had a go with them when I requested for some replacement keys when I broke the "D" key on my Alesis QS6. First I asked nicely explaining that RJ was no longer supporting Alesis and there was no local distro anymore (at the time)... then I sent a second email. On the 3rd email, I gave them a piece of my mind. They responded and sent the replacements to my sis in NY.  :-D

Offline TheHunter

« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2007, 11:36:51 AM »
Untapped gold mine yang Cubase LE. Just make sure NOT to update it. (You can update since it will allow you to track 8 inputs simultaneously, but you lose out on aux sends - the choice is yours.)

Look up the Plugins sticky and load up on vst effects that I linked to there. My present faves are Ambience, digitalfishphones, and posihfopit EQ.
I still didn't upgrade my Cubase LE because of this issue... however it is nice to know that the upgrade can track 8 inputs simultaneously but with some trade off  :-(

Offline demet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2007, 01:28:46 PM »

demet,

5th Ave/Avesco picked up where RJ left off kaso their marketing strategy leaves much to be desired. I have invited them to post here several times but it seems to have fallen on deaf ears; usually the case when their sales/marketing staff isn't that hot on the internet.

Anyway, you will find some 5th Ave branches at SM North carpark and at Quad carpark, maybe Ali Mall... not sure about other areas. Like I said, you might have to sweet talk them into obtaining a copy of Cubase LE for you.

As for emailing Alesis, try their parent company Numark. I once had a go with them when I requested for some replacement keys when I broke the "D" key on my Alesis QS6. First I asked nicely explaining that RJ was no longer supporting Alesis and there was no local distro anymore (at the time)... then I sent a second email. On the 3rd email, I gave them a piece of my mind. They responded and sent the replacements to my sis in NY.  :-D

It seems that I have a long way to go.  I sent an email early 2005(I think) regarding the matter.  I'll try Avesco 5th first.  And if it's affordable, maybe I'll buy myself an 8 firewire multimix after my wedding.  Weddings definitely put much presusre on your budget for gear.  My fiance doesn't understand it, but I'm sure you fellows here do. hehehe.

Offline demet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2007, 01:43:34 PM »
Ok so we've established na maganda ang flat monitors...thanks all...next question...mejo dumb perro just need to confirm I guess...kelangan bang patay lahat ng EQ mo sa pc?  yung mga standard EQ's ng sound card mo?

Let me get one thing straight... your using Alesis MM 8USB right? and your speaker monitors are connected in the Mixer?

The Chain Should me PC > USB Mixer > Monitors

You should use Alesis ASIO as your main device using your DAW Apps. Your Mixer will also serve as your Audio Interface. So no need to worry about the EQ Stuffs.

Lets bring this query of yours in the USB and Firewire Mixers Thread. ;)

This brings me more quesitons buddy.  Thanks in advance.  I just realized that I've been itching to get these questions our of my system for th elongest time. 

As you said, the chain should be: PC > USB Mixer > Monitors...ok.  I agree with that.  However, I've had some issues with that. 

1.  When I record, there seems to be a high pitched hum in the back of my recording.  I checked different forums, and they all said that that would disappear when I mix it down.  When I did, it was still there.  In fact, I chacked the wave forms in Sound Forge, and they were definitely there. 

2.  In the forums, they said that you can record multiple tracks(actually just 2 tracks) simultaneously.  I got that.  So you put one track on the left, the other on the right, and you put that in your DAW's settings.  It seemed pretty easy.  In fact, I was able to do that.  However, what I don't get is that, when I record them all, and check the individual tracks, the background music, or my bed music was recorded as well.  Let's say I ptach my guitars into an existing recording.  For example, the music is in track 1, my guitar is in track 2, since the mixer itself is already the audio card, when I record the guitar, the playback music in track 1 is recorded with it. 

So what did I do?  I simply attached the outs of my mixer to the line-ins of my external sound card.  Hence, the EQ question in the other forum. 

Any help, batok, or violent reactions(as much as it may hurt) from any of you would be greatly appreciated.  I don't know what I'm doing wrong(if any) cause I've been trying it for the past 2 years. 

In addition, while you're thinking of ways to dismember me, please take some time to listen to some of my recorded music(the link is in my signature) and comment on my recording process.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 01:46:27 PM by demet »

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2007, 01:59:35 PM »
     1.  When I record, there seems to be a high pitched hum in the back of my recording.  I checked different forums, and they all said that that would disappear when I mix it down.  When I did, it was still there.  In fact, I chacked the wave forms in Sound Forge, and they were definitely there. 

Use deductive reasoning. Try to record a few seconds without anything attached to your soundcard, then start connecting stuff one by one until you hit the noise source. Ten-to-one it's either a bad cable or something got routed near the monitor, a transformer, AVR or something electrical. Even flourescent lights give out 60 hz hum.

2.  In the forums, they said that you can record multiple tracks(actually just 2 tracks) simultaneously.  I got that.  So you put one track on the left, the other on the right, and you put that in your DAW's settings.  It seemed pretty easy.  In fact, I was able to do that.  However, what I don't get is that, when I record them all, and check the individual tracks, the background music, or my bed music was recorded as well.  Let's say I ptach my guitars into an existing recording.  For example, the music is in track 1, my guitar is in track 2, since the mixer itself is already the audio card, when I record the guitar, the playback music in track 1 is recorded with it.

It's a problem with your routing but I also think you've stumbled upon the limitations of USB mixers. Jeps! Help me out here!

Offline TheHunter

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2007, 02:03:10 PM »
Make sure your track 1 and 2 are in mono not stereo. Good luck!